g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Who wants Rooney gone and who wants him to stay

Wayne Rooney - do you want him to stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 270 23.9%
  • Go

Votes: 706 62.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 153 13.6%

• Total voters

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I'm undecided, because it all depends how he reacts to the new Mourinho era. His new manager has always been a fan, and wants to play him in his natural position, but how will that work? It would be amazing if he struck up a partnership with Zlatan but I'm not convinced this is going to happen. If Mourinho can sort this out then its going to a monster season

Adebesi

If we sign Pogba and all three of our attacking signings start, and if Rooney is not going to play in midfield, how does Rooney fit into the team? Ibra up front, Pogba behind him. Mkhitaryan on the right, presumably Martial on the left. We're surely not going to sign Pogba and then try and play him the way France did?

I think unless a good offer comes in for Rooney it would probably be a good idea to keep him around as an extra option, for some continuity and also to give him the opportunity to fight for his place and prove the doubters wrong. A motivated Rooney could be an asset. But its hard to see where he fits into the team Mourinho is building.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Sorry but to me this feels like yet another, let's get rid of Rooney thread. Enough of those surely, mods?

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Sorry but to me this feels like yet another, let's get rid of Rooney thread. Enough of those surely, mods?
You can never have enough of them.

I want him gone. My main reason being, I think the team can move on and be better without Rooney in the short and also long term.

I also really don't want Rooney to get the goal scoring record from Charlton.

dichinero

Until one of the major news outlets sees it and mentions it. Until then Rooney will be treated like a god in the media.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I'd like to keep him but not on these massive wages. Sadly there's nothing we can do about that. Like it or not Utd are keeping him because no other team would be willing to pick those wages up.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Hypothetical scenario -

Would you rather Utd continue to pay Rooney £300k a week and play him every game, even when he is trash; effectively handicapping the team?

or

Pay Rooney his £45 million wages up front and tell him to piss off and find a new club?
The 2nd option.

Nobody's taking him off our hands and like some have said, it's not our money anyway. So might as well pay him and be rid of him.

Sparky10Legend

The 2nd option.

Nobody's taking him off our hands and like some have said, it's not our money anyway. So might as well pay him and be rid of him.
Give him 15m to bugger off, at the full asking i'd have him as the least likely sub each week.

*Ive wasted one of my posts on Rooney, arghhhh.

**Please promote me.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we sign Pogba, he is screwed. After. Would be pointless paying £100m for a player and putting him in a midfield 2.

stevoc

If we sign Pogba and all three of our attacking signings start, and if Rooney is not going to play in midfield, how does Rooney fit into the team? Ibra up front, Pogba behind him. Mkhitaryan on the right, presumably Martial on the left. We're surely not going to sign Pogba and then try and play him the way France did?

I think unless a good offer comes in for Rooney it would probably be a good idea to keep him around as an extra option, for some continuity and also to give him the opportunity to fight for his place and prove the doubters wrong. A motivated Rooney could be an asset. But its hard to see where he fits into the team Mourinho is building.
Nah i doubt it not so deep anyway, never sitting in front of the back 4. In most PL games i imagine playing Pogba in a midfield 2 will be fine behind Rooney. In bigger games we'll need the 3rd man in midfield and i can see Rooney being left out to accommodate that.

Mourinho likes Rooney way more than most of the Caf, but he won't be afraid to drop him like LVG was. If it doesn't make sense tactically or hes in bad form he'll be on the bench in my opinion.

Last edited:

marcomanmufc

He's too much of a divisive player for us to keep him on now imo. If he stays for £300k pw, he has to play but isn't consistent enough and consequently has fans vilifying him and others championing him.

It's gone on too long. We need fresh blood, regardless of the fact that we might not be able to get a better player than Rooney.

He may go on to do great things at another club but it's unlikely he can do the same this year at Utd, unless he started the season and consistently put in excellent performances.

Time to say thanks but cya later.

Cristiano_RAFC

SAF knew in 2013 and we should have sold him then. One of the problems in the last 3 years was trying to fit him in the team all the time, when he often shouldn't have been in it. This comes from someone who loves the workrate of Rooney and who doesn't question his efforts in matches. It's just a case of physical decline which is not uncommon at his age, especially when he burst onto the scene at 16 already. The only way I can see him staying and being a success is if he can re-invent himself somehow, like Giggs, and if he can accept a role in which he will often find himself on the bench.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Apparently Pogba might play as #8 in a 4-3-3 or, gathering from France's display yesterday, only as #10 in Mourinho's preferred 4-2-3-1. Can he accommodate Rooney—contradicting what he stated in the press conference—as the more advanced midfielder, kind of #8-10, in a 4-3-3?

krazyrobus

If he can accept a diminished role in the team then he can stay. Him playing up front as a 10 starting would be a disaster.

He doesn't have the skill set for it like a good 1st touch or the vision to play through balls. Ibra also likes to drop deep and play through balls. They would both hog the same area of the pitch slowing everything down.

FattyFooty

In hindsight, sure.

Do people really think this is likely?
It was back then aswell. I thought buying Mata was a message we did not want to pay what Rooney was asking. Then we signed Rooney with the most bizzare contract ever made. I was in shock.

And no Rooney will not go to China.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I like Wayne and here's my advice to him. Re-negotiate your contract and lower your wage. I'm happy for him to stay but Rashford, Keane, Wilson are the present/future. Not all will make it perhaps but all three have very good potential. He has to be selected on merit.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Rooney on Mourinho:

Wayne Rooney said:
“I like to think I’m always motivated as a player but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit more motivated when a new manager comes in. I’m sure all the lads will be happy to be working under José and also eager to impress,” Rooney told Inside United. “I’m really excited to be working with José this season as he’s one of the best managers in the world. And it’s an exciting time for Manchester United."

“I’ve always respected him both as a man and a manager, he’s a nice guy and one of the most successful managers of all time. I’ve played against many Mourinho sides over the years and I can’t remember any easy games, so I think that says it all. His teams are always hard to beat, tactically disciplined and, most importantly, successful."

“He’ll bring all these qualities with him and I’m sure he’ll have his own ideas, but one of the biggest assets will be his experience. He’s managed a lot of successful teams throughout his career and all that experience will be vital.”
Wayne Rooney: working with José Mourinho will give me extra motivation
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ll-give-me-extra-motivation-manchester-united

Flytan

Rooney always says the right things.

But he still is a hindrance to our future. Hoping Jose makes the right decision to bench him eventually.

prath92

I like Wayne and here's my advice to him. Re-negotiate your contract and lower your wage. I'm happy for him to stay but Rashford, Keane, Wilson are the present/future. Not all will make it perhaps but all three have very good potential. He has to be selected on merit.
I'm sure he will be a better option than Keane and Wilson for the foreseeable future, at least based on their careers till now.

Rooney isn't going to be sold. He is a few goals off the top scorer charts. No way in hell we sell him before that

stevoc

He probably will be, just like under Moyes, Hodgson and van Gaal.
He was one of the better players under Moyes people seem to have forgotten that, he was in the team on merit. Under LVG in his first year he was played mostly in midfield through necessity and wasn't too bad.

Van Gaal even dropped him for the odd game last year so he wasn't guaranteed to start every game.

And he certainly won't be guaranteed to start under Mourinho, if he plays shit he'll be on the bench. If he plays well he'll start and we won't have anything to complain about.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
You honestly think Keane and Wilson are going to last here?

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He was one of the better players under Moyes people seem to have forgotten that, he was in the team on merit. Under LVG in his first year he was played mostly in midfield through necessity and wasn't too bad.

Van Gaal even dropped him for the odd game last year so he wasn't guaranteed to start every game.

And he certainly won't be guaranteed to start under Mourinho, if he plays shit he'll be on the bench. If he plays well he'll start and we won't have anything to complain about.
The odd game? Two out of the dozsns of matches in which he stank the place up, standards for Rooney dont match up to the standards we should hold. People have said he played well this Euro's, whilst he was bang average. And he has too high wages as well to be a bench player, and even Rooney in his best form, doesnt earn those exorbitant wages as he is far from a world class player.

stevoc

The odd game? Two out of the dozsns of matches in which he stank the place up, standards for Rooney dont match up to the standards we should hold. People have said he played well this Euro's, whilst he was bang average. And he has too high wages as well to be a bench player, and even Rooney in his best form, doesnt earn those exorbitant wages as he is far from a world class player.
Uh, thats what the odd game means though mate. After Xmas and either side of his injury he was ok and at times good for us. Yes he was atrocious before Xmas but he's only been that bad twice in his career i doubt he will be that bad next year. He's not the player he was and probably never will be, but neither were Giggs, Keane, Neville, Ferdinand or Scholes once they got into their 30's didn't mean they weren't be valuable squad members. Rooney can follow suit, he also has vast experience which is always good to have around the squad.

His wages are irrelevant, he is paid what he was worth at the time his contract was signed both on and off the pitch. He is very valuable to the club commercially more so than most if not all of the squad so that off sets some of his salary.

Honestly i don't understand this obsession some have with how much Wayne Rooney is paid who gives a feck? United could pay him £1m per week and it wouldn't put a dent in their ability to sign other players, ffs we are prepared to pay £100m for one player and pay his agent €25m just to set it up. Money is not a problem for United at this time.

Last edited:

Lentwood

I think the point is that Rooney would not be prepared to sit on the bench and it would be a massive distraction every week if Mourinho did leave him out. I still believe he is good enough to be a squad player but this is not a viable option for me. It is either play every week or go. For me it's go

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Go for me.

Hell, for the least three seasons I've pretty much entirely disliked the guy.

ottosec

He was one of the better players under Moyes people seem to have forgotten that, he was in the team on merit. .
He did well until he got his new fat contract, then he couldn't be arsed.

Same shit under LVG, played a couple of good games when he was first played as a striker then he stank the place up for almost an year. Obviously, as soon as he was dropped and saw that he is no longer untouchable he magically started performing again.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Love it how people have a problem with us paying a player 45m over next 3 years but bring the excuse up "It's not our money anyway" argument if we are to shell 100m on a player, which is directly strengthening your rivals financially.
And, yes he wasn't good, but even if he wasn't on our books any of the last 3 seasons, we were million miles away from winning the league. Also, if we don't win PL next season, I'm pretty sure, he won't be the sole/ main reason for it. There'd be mistakes made from each player which could be pointed just as easily

stevoc

He did well until he got his new fat contract, then he couldn't be arsed.

Same shit under LVG, played a couple of good games when he was first played as a striker then he stank the place up for almost an year. Obviously, as soon as he was dropped and saw that he is no longer untouchable he magically started performing again.
I disagree he was good for the majority of the season. He signed his contract at the end of February, by which time the whole season had gone tits up, every player was playing like shit, and confidence was low across the whole squad. After that we didn't have one player who looked like they could be arsed half the time. Harsh to pick out Rooney alone, it's a team game.

ottosec

I disagree he was good for the majority of the season. He signed his contract at the end of February, by which time the whole season had gone tits up, every player was playing like shit, and confidence was low across the whole squad. After that we didn't have one player who looked like they could be arsed half the time. Harsh to pick out Rooney alone, it's a team game.
How about under LVG? He was the worst player on the pitch almost every game when he thought he was undroppable, but as soon as he gets dropped he finds some acceptable form?