Who will win the World Cup?

Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red Star One

Best of South America at one side of the bracket, best of Europe at the other - it's all lining up for an excellent final.
At this point and with the current bracket order of favourites for me would be Brazil by a fine margin, France and one of Argentina/England/Portugal with Argentina possibly slightly edging it. Brazil has arguably the easiest path of all favourites, France has the second (or even first) strongest squad in Qatar and they're left with plenty of energy after last two not very demanding games (same for England though) + Mbappe absolutely on fire and at the moment the best player in the game. Think these two are a bit ahead of the rest in terms of quality and we might see them clash in the final.

Now the third favourite is a tricky one, Argentina seems slightly underrated here and they looked decent enough last two games for me to think they can also win it. If they get to beat Brazil in the SF they'd be incredibly pumped before the final. Portugal has the easiest QF opponent on paper, but does the paper thing even matter when Morocco just doesn't concede and look like a unit on a pitch? They looked fantastic against Switzerland and perhaps best I've seen them in years, with Ronaldo on the bench they can really win against anyone, or at least score a few goals. If England manages to beat France (30-35%-65-70% for me) they'll have a giant boost of confidence, but I'm not convinced if Southgate can win all three games against stronger/equal opponent: France - Portugal - Brazil/Argentina.

FriedClams

I think anyone predicting the winner with what they would consider even a shred of certainty, is blinkered. Every quarter final could go either way.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I think anyone predicting the winner with what they would consider even a shred of certainty, is blinkered. Every quarter final could go either way.
Absolutely. I wouldn't be shocked at any outcome in those QF matches.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
People giving out about people using a thread called “who will win the World Cup” to predict who will win the World Cup is certainly a… take.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Agreed, i fancy Brazil, Portugal, France, Argentina to go through but I rate all of these match-ups around 60-40, so I wouldn't be too surprised it is the other 4 teams. Even Morocco, the smallest remaining name in there looks legit for me.

jesperjaap

Yes bar SPain every big team expected to be there has got there really, should be cracking from now on in. ant believe how low all the other teams are outside of Argentina and Brazil though....Mind you I fancy Argentina strongl yto beat Holland and I think Brazil will go through in extra time, think Croatia will give them a real test....so one should reach the final.

Im still sticking with my pre-tournament tip of Portugal, dreaming of an ENgland v Argentina final but get a gut feeling of France v Bfazil and memories of ZIdane/Rpnaldo.

What is crazy to think though is first world cup I remember was 1982 and in all the world cups since, England have never beaten one of the big nations in the knockout stages, yet if we are to win the tournament we possibly have to beat France, Portugal and Brazil/Argentina. Cant see it and this is way different to the lucky draw in the last world cup, or the decent draw in the Euros, so now really reaching the semis would be the best achievement world cup wise of my lifetime.....but victory on Saturday I think I may just may start to dream of righting the winker incident, the metatersal of Rooney, the hand of god, the disallowed wrongly Sol Campbell goal.

I am 100% certain Morocco and Holland dont have a hope and though I think they have looked good, I cant see Croatia beating both Brazil and Argentina to reach the final.....I genuinely think all five of the other sides can win the tournament and there is very little between them....youd have to say Brazil or France I think though at the moment...I just really dont want France there though, Deschamps is more cautious than SOuthgate, it isnt the best French side even though its still very good, injuries and personally I think he hasnt pcked the best side....or squad 2/3 not chosen are much better than those there...and good as he is, I just dont like Mbappe

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Yes bar SPain every big team expected to be there has got there really, should be cracking from now on in. ant believe how low all the other teams are outside of Argentina and Brazil though....Mind you I fancy Argentina strongl yto beat Holland and I think Brazil will go through in extra time, think Croatia will give them a real test....so one should reach the final.

Im still sticking with my pre-tournament tip of Portugal, dreaming of an ENgland v Argentina final but get a gut feeling of France v Bfazil and memories of ZIdane/Rpnaldo.

What is crazy to think though is first world cup I remember was 1982 and in all the world cups since, England have never beaten one of the big nations in the knockout stages, yet if we are to win the tournament we possibly have to beat France, Portugal and Brazil/Argentina. Cant see it and this is way different to the lucky draw in the last world cup, or the decent draw in the Euros, so now really reaching the semis would be the best achievement world cup wise of my lifetime.....but victory on Saturday I think I may just may start to dream of righting the winker incident, the metatersal of Rooney, the hand of god, the disallowed wrongly Sol Campbell goal.

I am 100% certain Morocco and Holland dont have a hope and though I think they have looked good, I cant see Croatia beating both Brazil and Argentina to reach the final.....I genuinely think all five of the other sides can win the tournament and there is very little between them....youd have to say Brazil or France I think though at the moment...I just really dont want France there though, Deschamps is more cautious than SOuthgate, it isnt the best French side even though its still very good, injuries and personally I think he hasnt pcked the best side....or squad 2/3 not chosen are much better than those there...and good as he is, I just dont like Mbappe
If Holland beat Argentina, would you still be 100% certain they don't have a chance?

Charles Miller

Who will win the french cup?

I think the 08 world champions should create a competition only between them to be played each two years, one time in europe and other in south america. Seven games for everyone and the team with more points wins it. A mundialito.

jesperjaap

If Holland beat Argentina, would you still be 100% certain they don't have a chance?
Of course, but Id be very surprised if they beat three of the better teams in a row, I really dont see them troubling Argentina though....seem to be almost alone in that regard though

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Of course, but Id be very surprised if they beat three of the better teams in a row, I really dont see them troubling Argentina though....seem to be almost alone in that regard though
I'm convinced we'll beat Argentina. If we do it in a convincing manner, I'd give Netherlands a chance for the title. A small one for sure, but to say any team has 0% chance to win it, isn't right imo.

NoPace

I'd rank it like this at the moment:

Tier 1 - Brazil
Tier 2 - England, France, Argentina, Netherlands, Portugal
Tier 3 - Croatia
Tier 4 - Morocco

with only Morocco being a complete shock, but Croatia would need a miracle from their front 3. Dalic is probably the one manager who should be open to completely change things up as they're underdogs against Brazil. Whether that means going with 5 at the back, 4 in midfield or playing Pasalic or Majer as a false 9 I won't pretend to know. But they've just been okay and tough to see them beating Brazil, Portugal and one of France/England/Argentina/Netherlands with a mediocre striker, Kramaric out wide and Perisic looking 40 years old as their front 3.

Not sure Morocco have a ton of plan B options, even going 3 at the back might be tough since Saiss and Aguerd both look pretty banged up.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Brazil are definitely good - but I don't understand why most people are making them strong favorites. Dismantling an open South Korea is not much of an achievement imo and the only other team they properly dominated this time are Serbia. Croatia probably is going to be the toughest test yet, but I don't see them winning the Semi or the Final easily.
They were favourites before the tournament for good reason. They’ve been the best team since the tournament started. They are rightly hot favourites - doesn’t mean they’ll win it as we all know this is what makes sport amazing.

LuckyScout78

I hope Portugal win. Ronaldo and Bruno had give me most pleasure and joy in the past. No any connections and relations to Brazil players. Casemiro too too short to cheer him over United legend Ronaldo and Bruno.

So if not Portugal. Then hopefully France.

It's time for Mbappe to step out of the shadow of Messi and Ronaldo. This year season Ballon Dor winner Benzema injured?

France and Mbappe win the world and Mbappe fully deserve to win Ballon Dor next year/time. Mbappe has keep so high conistent top level last 2-3 years. I really wish Mbappe Ballon Dor winner next year/time. Have been in the shadow of Messi and Ronaldo. Those 2 has taken most spotlight.

I think its time. The timing is right and i am ready to Mbappe era. The best football player on the planet in the years to come.

I thought France would struggle without Kante and Benzema. But with the high and really good performance of Tchouaméni and Giroud. I clearly lower mine expecations of France there.
Giroud that man is 36. But still so sharp.
France will be no doubt top 4 nations in the next 4-8 years to come. The level of this current squad and theirs upcoming youngster. France will dominate the nation football beside England and Portugal in the years to come.
And the chance for Mbappe like Pele to win 2 in a rough and 3 world cup is there and still high.
No doubt Mbappe is the best football player on earth right now. And i think he can handle the pressure too.

Mbappe was just born to be a winner. All written in the stars.

Last edited:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I'd rank it like this at the moment:

Tier 1 - Brazil
Tier 2 - England, France, Argentina, Netherlands, Portugal
Tier 3 - Croatia
Tier 4 - Morocco
Tier 1 - Brazil, France
Tier 2 - Argentina, Portugal
Tier 3 - England, Netherlands
Tier 4 - Morocco, Croatia

Croatia have been the luckiest side out of all of those to reach the QF and I don’t think they have enough in them to go much further. Morocco has done very well but don’t seem potent enough to be able to progress. With Croatia playing Brazil, they will need a miracle to go through, think they’ll be stubborn but eventually break 0-2. Morocco have a chance against Portugal if Ronaldo returns otherwise 0-3.

England and Netherlands are very systematic teams and can both be dull to watch at times. Neither have the depth to go further if they get injuries. England result 1-2 to France, Netherlands result 1-2 to Argentina.

Argentina and Portugal can very much win it but Portugal are hamstrung by a large stinking egotistical vain turd in the squad. If he dictates how they set up they simply won’t win it. They are worse when he plays like United were. Argentina are a great side but not as strong as the other 2.

jesperjaap

I'm convinced we'll beat Argentina. If we do it in a convincing manner, I'd give Netherlands a chance for the title. A small one for sure, but to say any team has 0% chance to win it, isn't right imo.
Thats totally fair enough, Im 100% convinced they cant go and win it but as you say everyone has a chance. Must say though I am surprised how strongly a lot of people are rating there chances at this point, they seem to be strongly fancied against Argentina by many which I really wouldnt expect, outside of France.Brazil they seem to be equally levelled with a lot of the other sides.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'd say Argentina are favourites tomorrow, but not by much. They havent played a single really good game and seem to struggle to break teams down, whereas we finally seemed to find our game plan against the US (as un-Dutch as it may be). I think it will be a very close game with crap football.

There is no fecking way we're winning the cup though.

Lecland07

I guess Argentina are the favourites from this vote now. I can't see them winning it myself.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Anyone but France please. The fairy-tale story behind each nation is magical.

Irwin99

Argentina, Argentina, Argentina!!!

Or the Netherlands, am fine with either one wining it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Still think we go out today, but if we don't the final is suddenly quite a realizable goal. Mental, as we're quite shit.

PoTMS

Still think we go out today, but if we don't the final is suddenly quite a realizable goal. Mental, as we're quite shit.
That side of the bracket is quite shit compared to the other side.

Winrar

Notwithstanding any major upsets, Brazil will probably make it to the final out of their bracket. One of the most impressive teams I've seen on song. If I had to choose a winner right now I would pick them.

Tough call on the other bracket, as you can make a strong case for any of England, France, or Portugal. Morocco is probably gassed at this point, but they've done well so far.
Welp. Time to laugh at my own shitty prediction. :lol:

Bobski

England will never have a better chance and for a change I think they can win the midfield battle in a game like this.

marktan

Maybe an ironic justice for the better teams you had losing out in finals that a shit one goes all the way.

A long shot but possible if you're defensively solid in knockout tournaments.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Maybe an ironic justice for the better teams you had losing out in finals that a shit one goes all the way.

A long shot but possible if you're defensively solid in knockout tournaments.
We will not beat France or Portugal. No way.

Hughie77

England easy, other team with best other squad have just gone out to a useless Croatia on pens. Just shows how if you stay in games by any means and Useless Ref who bottled 2 Yellows and refused obvious fouls . Englands to lose now best squad left in it... arise Sir Southgate

PoTMS

Argentina's potential route to final:

Saudi Arabia
Mexico
Poland
Australia
Netherlands
Croatia