Who wins euro 2024?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Only 18 months away now so shorter cycle than the usual two year period where teams can experiment for 12 months in certain areas.

Qualifiers start in March with Italy-England the most eye catching.

They always say nowadays tournaments are wide open with no stand out team yet we've just had a World cup with two of the favourites still making the final despite it being a world cup with many shocks.

I do however generally enjoy Euros more as a spectacle and can't go wrong with it being back in the summer and with a top host in Germany. Proper festival of football.

And with regards it being wide open I do think you can make a case due to how many major european powerhouses are still in transition.

Of course France remain team to beat. However many of their regulars will be in their 30s so I think that might be a tournament where they remain unconvincing in general play but of course if Mbappe is shooting 8 goals again you're going to have to play very well to actually beat them.

Everyone expected a better Spain by now. Still losing early in tournaments on penalty shoot outs with a lack of cutting edge.

Germany currently on a run of two group stage and a meek last 16 exit in last three tournaments. However they used a home tournament to relaunch themselves as major contenders in 2006 so wouldn't be shocked if same happened here as they do have some top young players bubbling under the surface.

Belgium will do well to make quarters given the mess of their squad currently.

Who knows from Italy given the last 5 years but they remain light in attack and will be first major tournament in nearly 20 years without one of Chellini-Bonucci at heart of backline so would be very surprised if they threaten to win it.

Croatia actually tend to do better now at World cups than euros, last made even QFs of euros in 2008.

Portugal should've done better at this WC. Free from Ronaldo circus and a new attack minded coach I think they have a serious chance to win.

As do England....yes don't laugh with Southgate staying on. When you look at age profile of squad it's very close to being perfect in terms of tournament experience so England really need to be making the final again imo although would help if a decent young CB emerges in next year from somewhere.

I'd quite like to see Norway qualify for once. With Haaland + Odegaard I actually could see them having a Wales/Iceland type run so think it's a case of qualifying is harder than actually playing at the tournament like with so many other nearly nations who have world class players in their 11.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Dunno mate it’s not been on yet

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
My guess is France. That squad is still very stacked with many young players in their 20s ready to have another go at a tournament: Mbappe, Camavinga, Tchouameni, Konate etc.

Last edited:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Based on the WC performances France have to be clear favourites. With Portugal and England far behind and Germany, Spain and Netherlands in a tier below that. But really who knows, Greece 2024?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Republic of Ireland to do a Leicester and go all the way unexpectedly. Probably.

Or England, seeing out Southgate’s tenure of the NT in style and avenging our final defeat to Italy in the process.

Let’s go with England.

wangyu

Germany, italy, spain, portugal or france. All the other teams don’t have the mentality to win tournaments

Pearl.Jam

Not Engerland now that Eastfence has committed ( was hoping the FA offered him a 12 yr deal) been a good weekend with this news, plus Argentina winning

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
If they qualify, you'd have to think Argentina and Brazil have a chance

RedDevilRoshi

France for me.

As hosts, surely Germany will be better than what they showed at this World Cup.

Also intrigued to see how both Spain & Portugal do under new head coaches.

The rest can forget about it.

Irwin99

I fancy Germany to become a force again and win it. England have a good chance (despite Southgate- it would be kind of poetic if he won it in Germany after 96) and France obviously.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
France. Zidane will have another trophy as a manager that he has as a player

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
France are the obvious answer.

I think Germany are in a decent position, too as the host nation. The squad played good football at the WC and is looking good age wise.

Müller is probably out, but he was useless anyway. Neuer will be 38 and had a terrible WC, but ter Stegen should be in his prime years then. Gündogan is 32, so he may fade away, too.

The rest still has their best years ahead of them. Lots of players will be 29-31 years old then. Others, like Musiala, Schlotterbeck and Havertz - maybe Wirtz, Moukoko, Bella-Kotchap and Adeyemi - who weren't fully ready yet, will have had two years to mature.

If I had to bet it would be on either of those two.

Spain have lots of exciting talents, but if they continue to be so toothless it's hard to imagine them winning a tournament.

Italy seem to be a bit shit still.

The rest are bottlers.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Would have said England but they kept Southgate on.

Skills

Snitch
France should win, but they should've won Euro 2021 too.

I think Germany will be right up there for 2024 - they were a bit unlucky at the WC, but should be in decent shape by the Euros.

Idxomer

France are the obvious answer.

I think Germany are in a decent position, too as the host nation. The squad played good football at the WC and is looking good age wise.

Müller is probably out, but he was useless anyway. Neuer will be 38 and had a terrible WC, but ter Stegen should be in his prime years then. Gündogan is 32, so he may fade away, too.

The rest still has their best years ahead of them. Lots of players will be 29-31 years old then. Others, like Musiala, Schlotterbeck and Havertz - maybe Wirtz, Moukoko, Bella-Kotchap and Adeyemi - who weren't fully ready yet, will have had two years to mature.

If I had to bet it would be on either of those two.

Spain have lots of exciting talents, but if they continue to be so toothless it's hard to imagine them winning a tournament.

Italy seem to be a bit shit still.

The rest are bottlers.
Good summary, Portugal could be a contender too if they pick the right manager.

FlapR

France might have an internal meltdown with Zidane in charge. They've always had it in them and no idea how he'd handle it.

Redfrog

Based on the WC performances France have to be clear favourites. With Portugal and England far behind and Germany, Spain and Netherlands in a tier below that. But really who knows, Greece 2024?
Yes we went to the final but weren’t very good if being honest. We were dominated by England, Marocco and Argentina. If not for Mbappé exploit we will have been humiliated today. We didn’t have a shot on goal until 60 minutes or something. Today was horrible until the 80 minute and we just reverted to sh*t after scoring the equalizer. Mbappé was getting us out of jail.

I think it’s due to the manager who is a coward. I can’t see us win the euro if we are playing the football we played during the second part of the tournament.

RopersReturn

Maybe Portugal will bounce back, where they’ll meet either Spain or a rejuvenated Holland.

I’d like to think we could at least reach a final again, but a combination of a leaky defence and Southgate might make it impossible?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I'd quite like to see Norway qualify for once. With Haaland + Odegaard I actually could see them having a Wales/Iceland type run so think it's a case of qualifying is harder than actually playing at the tournament like with so many other nearly nations who have world class players in their 11.
Tournament football is all about having the fundaments in defence. We don't have that. On top of my head I don't remember any smaller nations making it far thanks to their attack alone. They all succeed because they don't concede many.

Zen

Whoever will generate a striker in the next 18 months. Or France with Benzema.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Unless England can find a more reliable pair of CB’s who can convincingly play out from the back, it really isn’t likely to happen sadly.
They'll choke when it matter but to be fair they played well in the past euros and this world cup.

They were probably better than France for example in that game.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
France might have an internal meltdown with Zidane in charge. They've always had it in them and no idea how he'd handle it.
What internal meltdowns had France aside from 2010?

People always repeat that, but no examples given bar the 2010 incident with Domenech and the players.