Who wins united player of the season

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Sounds a bit harsh but I don't think any of them deserve it, even in our really poor years we usually have at least one standout performer but this year everyone's been too inconsistent to warrant them getting the award. A lot say Fred or de Gea but they've been every bit as streaky as everyone else.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yes.

(De Gea by miles although Fred has largely done well).

TwoSheds

Sounds a bit harsh but I don't think any of them deserve it, even in our really poor years we usually have at least one standout performer but this year everyone's been too inconsistent to warrant them getting the award. A lot say Fred or de Gea but they've been every bit as streaky as everyone else.
Rubbish, De Gea has maybe had a couple of bad games all year.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Rubbish, De Gea has maybe had a couple of bad games all year.
His distribution, sweeping and command of his area has been poor in plenty of games, which are areas I factor in when judging a keeper's performance. DDG has made 4 sweeping clearances all season and ranks 19th, Jose Sa in 1st has 28 by comparison, as per the PL website. He also ranks bottom in distribution based on this data model. Just being a good shot stopper isn't enough, just like being a decent assister isn't enough to salvage someone like Bruno's game.

TwoSheds

His distribution, sweeping and command of his area has been poor in plenty of games, which are areas I factor in when judging a keeper's performance. DDG has made 4 sweeping clearances all season and ranks 19th, Jose Sa in 1st has 28 by comparison, as per the PL website. He also ranks bottom in distribution based on this data model. Just being a good shot stopper isn't enough, just like being a decent assister isn't enough to salvage someone like Bruno's game.
That's not really what player of the season is about though. "He didn't do the things that he doesn't / wasn't asked to do". Cry me a river. Dude had Harry Maguire in front of him and no DM all year and yet hasn't conceded too many goals, performing fairly consistently throughout the season. Given everyone else has been largely shit - player of the season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Just in case anybody is just looking at the tweet trying to find De Gea, you need to open up the link to find him because he's in that tiny space that's cut off down the bottom of that image. :lol:

TwoSheds

De Gea by a country mile. Because for awards like this all that matters for a keeper is making eye catching saves.
What matters is that the defence hasn't been as shit as you would expect given how shit most of them have been. Because De Gea made a lot of good saves and didn't make many mistakes.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
De Gea.

If it had to be an outfield player, it's slim pickings. Fred has been good, but he's had some shockers too. Lindelof has been fairly consistent when he's on the pitch, but he's not an automatic starter anymore.

I suspect Ronaldo's goal contribution will seal it though, since nobody else is close.

Paul_Scholes18

Can someone explain this. Has he got poor passing accuracy or what?

It says ranking, but how do you rank that. The poor completion can be due to our outfield players moving like shit as well.

Stadjer

David de Gea - For reaching an acceptable level. Yes he has his flaws but also had good moments unlike many other players.
Fred - Been good since Ralf took over. Also has his flaws but he is playing well.
Ronaldo - been good in the CL groupstage.

Other options? Not really, Sancho improved but not good enough yet eventhough it is almost impossible to be good in this team. It has been a sad sad season.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Why??

The women's team have done very well this season, why should they have to suffer, by not having any awards, same for the youth sides of both genders??

There is far more to this club, then just the men's first team.

For the record, my Player of the Season, would go to Ella Toone, but Ona Batlle is running her very close.
Fair enough, i only follow the first Team so yeah… we could skip First Team awaria this season

Silverman

If the club had any balls, they would cancel it the whole evening event. Maybe announce the winners on Twitter like Player of the Month etc to keep up the tradition etc but it should be very low key to acknowledge how awful we have been this year.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Can someone explain this. Has he got poor passing accuracy or what?

It says ranking, but how do you rank that. The poor completion can be due to our outfield players moving like shit as well.
I think it works the same way as other expected stats. So they compare the goalkeeper's success rate with passes versus the expected success rate of those passes based on their level of difficulty, as determined by multiple factors.

Irwin99

It's really not harsh in the least. As i said it reminds me of the year Shaw won it which was embarrassing for everyone and it will be similar this year in a lot of ways.

People might go back further to the 2004-05 season for another example when Heinze won it on the back of being a fan favourite but some other players had a good season that year-Rooney's first season, Keane's performances mid season onwards, Giggs was very good too at various points too etc. This season by contrast has been really dire on virtually every level and non-stop.

NewYorkRed

I’m a huge Ronaldo fan, but no. Fred or Dave, if I’m being honest it should easily be DDG. Fred could be most improved or whatever but Dave’s been class for the most part.

Paul_Scholes18

I think it works the same way as other expected stats. So they compare the goalkeeper's success rate with passes versus the expected success rate of those passes based on their level of difficulty, as determined by multiple factors.
Yes, but if the outfield players are doing well they can make a poor pass turn good or likewise feck up an easy pass.

If we have a striker to hold up the ball well then these long passes can work out better.

De Gea is not great, but our outfield players is a problem as well.

Like the fact Burnley are good at launched passes has more to do with having big target strikers and playing that way.

MrSingh2002

I actually think we shouldn't do one this season.

Nobody's been that good that they deserve an individual trophy.

Chicharo

Easily, DDG.
Fred is the closest to him.
Ronaldo had his moments, but been invisible for a good part of the reason
The rest are not worth mentioning

Longshanks

De gea is the best of a bad bunch, player of the season probably, also one of our big issues to resolve.

Ronaldo despite being invisible for alot of games has shone brightly enough in just about enough games to be worthy of a honorable mention.

The fact that Fred is getting alot of mentions kind of sums up the season really, he has been OK but nothing more than that.

MalaysianRed7

1) DDG
2) Fred
3) Ronaldo
4) Bruno
5) Dalot (Been decent, at the very least)

What a state.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Giving it to De Gea again is depressing as heck. I'd say it's better to give it to Ronnie being our top scorer.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Defo not Ronaldo, De Gea has been brilliant but think Fred deserves it after all the critcism hes faced hes stepped up game after game for the club. If we had a few more with his drive and work ethic we would be in a better position.

Red_toad

Matic, very consistent for about 45 minutes of every game he’s played. Shame he just isn’t able to play 90 minutes at a high intensity weekly.