Who, with me, believes we can win the premier league?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Let’s not get carried away. What we wanted from this season was progress, ideally Champions League qualification and playing more attractive, progressive football. We’re currently looking good for that and a trophy would cap it off nicely, but not essential at this stage. We’re coming back.

croadyman

Improbable, but now possible. The problem is that we have two clubs, not one, to chase down and fatigue and injuries are taking an obvious toll on our squad. One can envision an Arsenal meltdown, but it's hard to envision both Arsenal and City melting down. And it would require a melt as there's no chance we're going to run the table through our last 15 matches while still juggling EL, the FA Cup and ELF Cup runs. Our form of late has been gritty, not great.

But fortunes do turn quickly and in less than a fortnight, after having slayed Barcelona and then dispatching Newcastle and Liverpool, this conversation could take on a very different hue.
Yeah chasing down one is hard enough but when it's two and you have neither to play either it's virtually mission impossible

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We're coming back at least a year faster than I thought, maybe two. EtH, Rashford, Casemiro, Varane, Martinez all looking like the real deal. We need a good bit more though to win the title except by a fluke.

Blood Mage

Arsenal and City play better football than us. Stranger things have happened but it would be kind of undeserved.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Arsenal and City play better football than us. Stranger things have happened but it would be kind of undeserved.
How in the name of god, if we over come two teams - one who is probably the top team in the country for the last decade and one who have been flying this season - to win the league this season, even by a single point would it be undeserved? The table never lies, and if we top it then we have been the best team over the course of a season. Forgive me, but that seems a mind bogglingly stupid observation.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We are probably good enough to keep up the pace with Arsenal and City for the rest of season, though that is partly driven by my expectation of them both struggling, but we are not good enough to close the gap that is already there. It really comes down to the late goal we conceded at Palace and those silly points dropped last Wednesday against Leeds, as with 49 and just two behind Arsenal it would be a different story.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
A 3rd place finish and the League Cup would be an amazing season. I'm not expecting us to get anything from both Barca games coming up so our journey on the Europa front may come to an end soon, unless Barca's form takes an uncharacteristic nose dive at OT.

Wayne's World

Think we need City to win on Wednesday and then for both to have a blip which isn't impossible. I'll take finishing 3rd and winning a trophy this season and really target the title next season

OrcaFat

I think I know what you mean but if we win it will be deserved, surely?

At times we play just as good football as Arsenal and City but we don’t sustain over 90 mins or from game to game. If we put it together and go on a run and manage to overhaul them then why wouldn’t we deserve it?

goalscholes

Anecdotally, I reckon teams that don’t rotate seem to over score at the beginning of the season (due to the consistency), but pick up injuries and run out of energy later in the year.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but I don’t think it’s unrealistic that Arsenal slump and their fans and players get increasingly stressed as the season progresses. Arteta probably rotates less than any other team in the league.

keithsingleton

These type of threads make me cringe. We’re far from the finished artic but improving and it’s nice to see the manager turn things round for us. Top four will be a great season and with a bit of luck a cup trophy to follow. Then it’s a big transfer window that will determine if we can make a tittle challenge against out noisy neighbours and the gunners.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think Man United will win the league this season. In believe each club has a certain amount of 'luck' over the 38 games and I think you have pretty much used yours in the first half of the season. Ayling could have scored today (twice) the Rashford none-touch vs City and numerous others....

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't think Man United will win the league this season. In believe each club has a certain amount of 'luck' over the 38 games and I think you have pretty much used yours in the first half of the season. Ayling could have scored today (twice) the Rashford none-touch vs City and numerous others....
:lol: yeah, we’ve had the luck. My god.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Asterisk City will ‘win’ the league. We might have to wait a bit for our trophy. We are definitely in contention among the actual legal football teams

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The charges will eventually get to City. They are already inconsistent.
Arsenal are already showing they are getting into their usual meltdown.

We are getting players back from suspension / injury And we have an incredible manager.
Just look at Rashford.

We absolutely have a very good chance at winning the title.

Ananke

I think Arsenal ‘luck’ ran out a few games ago if that’s the case. Downhill from here.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
These type of threads make me cringe. We’re far from the finished artic but improving and it’s nice to see the manager turn things round for us. Top four will be a great season and with a bit of luck a cup trophy to follow. Then it’s a big transfer window that will determine if we can make a tittle challenge against out noisy neighbours and the gunners.
I don’t think Arsenal will be up for the title next season. This is a unique anomaly caused by the WC.

NZT-One

I would agree to a certain degree. Not too sure about the league in itself but overall season wise we are quite fortunate until now. Be that draws, overall refs, injuries, rivals. I would be disappointed if we don't manage to bring home any silverware, but I think, the league title isn't it. I mean, we didn't play well in 3 of our last 3 games. Todays win came was harsh on Leeds, as we slept for the first 80minutes. I am sure, Arsenal and City have such games as well but still - getting a title now might be problematic in the long run as the people behind ETH would draw the wrong conclusions. I mean, I am happy about a title, sure but if possible, I'd rather see us evolve into more than a one-hit wonder trying to challenge the Citys hegemony in English football. One title doesn't mean that much in that respect.

(That said - of course the players and the manager would deserve the title if they manage to overcome all opponents and lead the table after all games are played)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
You forgot about Liverpool, their luck never ran out until theyre crowned the champions which in itself was luckier than anything.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Jesus. To think I would prefer you to win to City! May change my mind.

croadyman

The charges will eventually get to City. They are already inconsistent.
Arsenal are already showing they are getting into their usual meltdown.

We are getting players back from suspension / injury And we have an incredible manager.
Just look at Rashford.

We absolutely have a very good chance at winning the title.
Be amazing if we could get Eriksen back in mid April and still have a shot at pushing the top two

ole@thewheel

It's either going on in the Europa League or pushing for the title for us. The later seems and feels unrealistic, given our original expectations this season.

Anyways if City gets point deduction(seems likely), we will have a realistic chance for the league, especially as Arsenal seem to be on the brink of losing their composure.

NLunited

It don‘t work that way. Odds don‘t change because of what happened before.

We have to keep putting in performances to guarantee top four spot. Right now we are catching up to the teams in front of us, so you never know.

ti vu

Draw or City win,so basically 3 behind City and 6 behind Arsenal or 5 behind both?
The former option.

If City wins mid week, they're in long run the favorite to get over the line because the experience, instilled winning culture. We shouldn't care whoever win the tittle Eventually between them two.

Arsenal already blew previous potential extra 5-7 points gap with City. They likely drop more point on their own than City. So from our position with a slim outside chance to challenge, staying closer to City is better for now.

Last edited:

croadyman

The former option.

If City wins mid week, they're in long run the favorite to get over the line because the experience, instilled winning culture.

Arsenal already blew previous potential extra 5-7 points gap with City. They likely drop more point on their own than City. So from our position with a slim outside chance to challenge, staying closer to City is better.
Yeah I would favour draw too, then again anything but an Arsenal win keeps up interested

Dr Foo

I think our run in the Europa League will be decisive. As well as the ability to keep Licha, Casemiro, Rashford fit for most games. Also need Antony and Sancho to play at a higher level. Otherwise, we are better off taking it game by game instead of this title talk. Our squad is not set up for it yet, but of course anything can happen

croadyman

It don‘t work that way. Odds don‘t change because of what happened before.

We have to keep putting in performances to guarantee top four spot. Right now we are catching up to the teams in front of us, so you never know.
Yeah aim high as possible and see where it goes

NLunited

Arse and City have to play each other twice. So no matter what happens, it helps us catch up.

If City win twice, we catch up with Arsenal. If Arsenal win twice, they win the title, but we catch City.

Ideal for our small title chances would be two draws.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Be amazing if we could get Eriksen back in mid April and still have a shot at pushing the top two
Erik has the ability to get players to play different roles.
The league Cup is one more game.
If we get past Barcelona we have an excellent chance in winning that cup.
Only City is there to really challenge us in the FA Cup.

The League is the big one.
Both City and Arsenal need to stutter badly.

All 4?

Football is crazy.

croadyman

Arse and City have to play each other twice. So no matter what happens, it helps us catch up.

If City win twice, we catch up with Arsenal. If Arsenal win twice, they win the title, but we catch City.

Ideal for our small title chances would be two draws.
Not gonna worry about the second game UNLESS we are still in with shout when it comes around. Will fall same midweek we play Spurs away

croadyman

Erik has the ability to get players to play different roles.
The league Cup is one more game.
If we get past Barcelona we have an excellent chance in winning that cup.
Only City is there to really challenge us in the FA Cup.

The League is the big one.
Both City and Arsenal need to stutter badly.

All 4?

Football is crazy.
Yeah and we need to take our home form on the road to some very tricky places as well

RopersReturn

Unless City and Arsenal suffer an injury crisis then it’s highly unlikely. We should at least finish in the top 4 though.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Arsenal - 85
City - 82
United - 82

Either way being so close to the top would be a miracle considering the state we were in last season.