Who's attainable if we were to spend big and improve our squad?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
DIdn't he say in an interview that he would prefer to go to Barca?
I think he's made various noises about being ready to move on from Ajax and lots of press (especially Spanish) have said he would fit in at Barca. Not saying it won't be Barca but think it's currently 2 + 2 = 5.
De Ligt isn't realisticlly attainable
Why not?

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
So 150 million on 2 new centre halves, then 50 mill on a right back, 100 mill on a midfielder, then 100 mill on a right winger and possibly need a new striker. As I said won’t happen or will take years as we’ll probably only spend 100 mill per season. It’s simply not sustainable.
For the central defender we need to splash out, not even up for debate.

The other positions I'd say we're not in such dire straits so we can play canny like you want.

People keep saying this, but it's wrong. Spurs have an option to extend it by a further year: this would trigger a £25m release clause for the Belgian that can be activated before the final two weeks of the transfer window.
His contract runs out in the summer unless Spurs activate the additional year. That’s a fact. So yes, his contract expires in the summer. Clearly Spurs will activate the additional year, but if they don’t he’s free to go where he wants.

Aloysius's Back 3

Fekir is someone I see as a deadly player and can be bought relatively cheap.

Either way - something both LVG & Jose said was that this team doesn't have enough creators of chances. That is what we need.

We don't need a RW - we hardly have a LW. Just play two strikers upfront and have wingbacks providing crosses.

Negan

Alderweireld and Vertonghen.
- We should be tapping both of them up as they’re available on frees in the summer. Both have a brilliant partnership and would slot right in. Plus they’d be free. Offer them Sanchez’s wages.

Perisic
- Sanchez should leave. Perisic is the one we should have got.

Sandro
- This would be expensive but worth it. There’s rumors Juve want Marcelo so we should break the bank for Sandro. He is miles better than Shaw it’s not even funny.

These are the necessary ones.

Zaha
- Would be perfect for the RW. Should have never been sold.

Ramsey
- Available on a free and would be better than Herrera, McTominay and Fellaini.

Neves
- I think Matic has another season in him if used properly (aka not playing EVERY GAME)... but if Neves is available, we should be all over that.

Dybala
- This is a Dream scenario but if Pogba starts acting the twat again, I’d be looking to do a straight swap.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is a United fan, and going to Barca would mean betraying Atletico but coming here? what's the problem? For the right price and under the right manager I think we would get him without a doubt.
As far as we know he isn't. His brother is though.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
So is it that he is free this summer or available for £25m if they decide to envoke the extra one year clause? Heard a few different variations online
He'd be free IF Spurs didn't invoke the contract extension, but obviously they will … and this will trigger a £25m release clause that kicks in for any bid received before the final two weeks of the transfer window, assuming that Toby want to go to the bidding club.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
His contract runs out in the summer unless Spurs activate the additional year. That’s a fact. So yes, his contract expires in the summer. Clearly Spurs will activate the additional year, but if they don’t he’s free to go where he wants.
What's the point of this post? Clearly Spurs will extend his contract by 1 year, because they'd lose £25m by not doing so. So his contract won't run out in the summer.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Alderweireld and Vertonghen. … they’re available on frees in the summer. …
What is the point in spreading such disinformation? For the nth time regarding Toby: HE WON'T BE AVAILABLE FOR FREE IN THE SUMMER!

The same applies to Vertonghen. They both have optional contract extensions for 1 year which Spurs can activate at their discretion.

red4ever 79

Yup, that's exactly what we need to do, spunk even more cash without some form of structure and vision at the club. How about we focus on recruiting a manager who will fit the Utd model, of developing youth and playing attacking football. Then in hindsight we can buy players to fit the model.

Sparky Rhiwabon

People always complain on here that no quality players are attainable. Look at some of the players who have been attainable (I.e. actually bought by our rivals) over the past few years. There are always quality players attainable, it’s just a case of attaining the right ones, and coaching them well.

davidmichael

In January ? Or in the summer ? If you mean January then we should seriously look at Dembele at Barca as he’s said to be available and at his age would have resale value if ever sold, at the same time though he’s a genuinely quality right winger who’s quick and direct which is what we’ve lacked since Ronaldo so it’s a no brainer.

If we’re looking at centre backs then I don’t think there’s anyone around until the summer when it’s likely we’ll get Alderweireld for £25 million and if Vertonghen is also a possibility I’d sign him too which would allow us to sell Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Bailly and Lindelof as we’d have Smalling and Tuanzebe in reserve.

If we’re looking at upgrading in midfield then I’d sign N’Dombele and Neves thus allowing us to get rid of Matic and Fellaini. We’d have Pogba, Fred, Pereira, Herrera and even McTominay as well leaving us well stocked in midfield.

Up top it’s clear Sanchez is better through the middle so I don’t think another striker would be needed as Lukaku is a good squad player as well as Rashford, I think with Dembele and Martial on the flanks added to Lingard and Mata also being around we’d be ok up top although I think that would be more dependant on whether Jose is in charge after this season.

So that would be adding Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dembele, Neves and N’Dombele to the squad which other than Vertonghen I think I think is very attainable but I’m not Jose so my areas of priority are unlikely to be the same as his are.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
De ligt, de jong, neves, 2 of the best young RW and striker prospects in the world. You can bet at least 2/3 of them will become world class here. That’s what we need: players on an upward trajectory who can use old Trafford as their stage to the next level. Like the class of 92, Rooney, Ronaldo, , Ferdinand ,Keane etc. Not older players coming here who’ve already peaked and are just after one more pay day. Been saying it for years. We are missing bargains left right and centre and we are going nowhere as things stand. It’s time to change things up. Look at martial and pogba. We are still able to spot them. It’s just giving them time to bed in and actually playing them.

cheeky_backheel

Two responses to my post, neither offering a single name. Our big target in the summer was Maguire, he signed a long term contract. Alderwiereld - still at his club, Bale - still at his club, Varane - still at his club. There is a long list but four names is enough to make the point.

Mourinho gave a list of his targets to the club and they werent signed. We pay the highest wages, so it wasnt that, we offer some of the best money, and so it wasnt that.
We refused to cough up the asking price - it was that!

cheeky_backheel

We either pay massive money for proven players or go cheaper and gamble on unproven.

I lean towards gambling on younger and less proven talent, except for a defensive leader which would likely necessitate a older player.

We should bring in younger talent and let the manager mould and develop to whatever style he wants to play. But must also be willing to sacrifice short term success for this.

Ekeke

Eriksen? Really? If thats available, anyone is.

And Sandro giving up the chance of winning the champions league? Nah

What's the point of this post? Clearly Spurs will extend his contract by 1 year, because they'd lose £25m by not doing so. So his contract won't run out in the summer.
To be factually correct. His contract expires in the summer. Pedantic - maybe. Correct - yes.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We could sign Mbappe and he’d be a total flop as far as I’m concerned at the moment.

deafepl

As far as we know he isn't. His brother is though.
He is United fans, he idolizing Beckham and dreamt of playing for us in famous No.7 United shirt but being fans of any club is irrelevant, they all have to think of their careers first and maybe money, we are a hardly attractive club as it was decades ago. KDB is Liverpool fans but playing for rival City, Fekir is United fans but were close to secure a move to Liverpool, it doesn't matter, they're irrelevant.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is United fans, he idolizing Beckham and dreamt of playing for us in famous No.7 United shirt but being fans of any club is irrelevant, they all have to think of their careers first and maybe money, we are a hardly attractive club as it was decades ago. KDB is Liverpool fans but playing for rival City, Fekir is United fans but were close to secure a move to Liverpool, it doesn't matter, they're irrelevant.
He isn't and Fékir isn't either. Where do you get those informations? One of Griezmann idol is Beckham that is true but he doesn't support the club when asked he answers that he used to support Lyon, then Marseille and Real Sociedad. Fékir supports Lyon.

Dolf

I heard Toby is free in the summer so could be worth looking at.

Ndombele, Koulibaly/Skriniar/De Ligt would definitely improve us.
Add a rightwinger to that and we’re set.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Liked with Nicolo Barella, anyone know anything about him? Spurs/Liverpool linked as well. Just his agent drumming up interest in the media? Genuinely a potential star? Given hes only 21.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
De Ligt's not attainable, he's been thoroughly indoctrinated by the Dutch (especially at Ajax) drooling over everything Pep / Barca. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a dart board with Jose's head on it at "De Toekomst" Ajax' academy centre.

There's no way De Ligt and / or Frenkie de Jong will join a Mourinho team.

Sjaakmeoff

De Ligt's not attainable, he's been thoroughly indoctrinated by the Dutch (especially at Ajax) drooling over everything Pep / Barca. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a dart board with Jose's head on it at "De Toekomst" Ajax' academy centre.

There's no way De Ligt and / or Frenkie de Jong will join a Mourinho team.
100% true.

And about the Pep comment. Why shouldn't they?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
100% true.

And about the Pep comment. Why shouldn't they?
I'm not saying they shouldn't, his take on football is something to aspire too. I just think Dutch pundits do tend to go slightly over board in their adulation of Barcelona and Pep in particular. For instance, they were extremely impressed by that video of Pep performing his over the top speech in the dressing room at half time, while that's clearly just a fecking circus act.

Pep has his teams play great football, but he's an overdramatic arseclown and a hypocritical cnut if you ask me.

I do violently dislike Spanish football and Barcelona in particular though. I'm a Feyenoorder, I like players with ugly mugs, no discernible ability with a football and a kit covered in mud after 90 minutes.

Canagel

We need to stop going for the big names and go for young, hungry players with everything to prove. No more old players past their peak and have only financial motives. We need motivated players who want to stay and help the club win.
More Martials and less Sanchezs, Matics.

ToToMarshall

Spending big whilst also keeping things realistic, and looking at the dynamic of our squad, I’d like to see us go after a new proven senior centre-back, a new young defensive-midfielder, a back-up striker and a standout right-winger.

I still really want Toby Alderweireld. He’s the kind of leader at the back that would just really benefit us in so so many ways. Yes he’s a little on the older side but I think that actually benefits our squad, we need an older head in the middle there. Plus signing a stellar young central-defender means we may as well just say goodbye tin pal the promising young CBs we’re producing at the minute.

Koulibaly would be my second choice, not because I think he’s worse, I actually rate him as one of the top 3 CBs in the world right now, I just don’t think he’s attainable, plus I also want us to go after a different Napoli player and I don’t think we’d get 2.

Seen a lot of people suggesting Tanguy Ndombélé as a DM, which really isn’t his position. He’s more in the Pogba-mould, and I’m really not sure you could get those two in the same side to be honest. Frenkie would be an interesting shout, but he’d cost a fortune and seems destined for either Barcelona or Man City. My personal choice would be Amadou Diawara at Napoli. He’s young, but probably wouldn’t cost a huge amount of money as he’s not playing a lot for Napoli at the moment. He’s really really talented, 6’+, physically good, and intelligent. He’d be perfect for the Premier League and a great long-term successor to Matic.

For a back-up/rotation striker, I actually really want Marco Arnautovic. He’s put up decent numbers since moving to the centre, in some really really bad West Ham sides. He’s massive, but still quick and athletic. And he’s an absolute shithouse, I want more of that in our side. He’d offer great competition for Lukaku in my opinion, and he can play on the right if needs be.

Right-wing is the tricky one. I just can’t get the thought that Ousmane Dembélé may want to leave Barca out of my head... he’s an absolute superstar in the making, but there are some worries about his attitude, and even then, why would one of the brightest young talents in world football, who’d no doubt be courted by everybody join us at the moment? It’s a pipe dream, but we can all have them from time to time. I’d take his clubmate Malcom too, who’s also struggling for minutes. Christian Pulisic is another one I’d love at United, but I can’t help feeling that trying to sign him would come with similar issues as Ousmane. Past those 3, you’re looking at maybe Douglas Costa, Lozano or maybe even Wilf Zaha...

So my list would be:
Toby Alderweireld
Amadou Diawara
Marco Arnautovic
Ousmane Dembélé/Christian Pulisic/Malcom/Zaha

(also wouldn’t be against getting Ramsey on a free transfer, we don’t get enough goals from midfield)

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Central defender - Koulibaly, Skriniar, Alderweireld
Wide defender - Sandro, Wan-Bissaka
Midfield - Neves, Ndombele, Doucoure, Ramsey
Wide attacker - Thauvin, Dembele, Suso, Zaha

If it were up to me I would get:

Skriniar
Neves
Ramsey
Zaha

3 of them know the league already, 2 of them are up and coming players while 1 is a free transfer. Selling a few defenders would help us balance the books.

Bestietom

So 150 million on 2 new centre halves, then 50 mill on a right back, 100 mill on a midfielder, then 100 mill on a right winger and possibly need a new striker. As I said won’t happen or will take years as we’ll probably only spend 100 mill per season. It’s simply not sustainable.
I Agree, that this is what we need to get back up there Now. Otherwise we will slip further down the table. We need a big injection of cash over the next 2 windows starting in January, to get into top 4 this season and then challenge next season.

Sivaram

May be we should consider Christian Tello. Had a great game against Barca, plays at right wing, good pace and dribling, decent link up play. May be if we can get him for 20m. If it works out its ok, if not we are not loosing much

cheeky_backheel

I'm not saying they shouldn't, his take on football is something to aspire too. I just think Dutch pundits do tend to go slightly over board in their adulation of Barcelona and Pep in particular. For instance, they were extremely impressed by that video of Pep performing his over the top speech in the dressing room at half time, while that's clearly just a fecking circus act.

Pep has his teams play great football, but he's an overdramatic arseclown and a hypocritical cnut if you ask me.

I do violently dislike Spanish football and Barcelona in particular though. I'm a Feyenoorder, I like players with ugly mugs, no discernible ability with a football and a kit covered in mud after 90 minutes.
its the cryuff effect

cheeky_backheel

May be we should consider Christian Tello. Had a great game against Barca, plays at right wing, good pace and dribling, decent link up play. May be if we can get him for 20m. If it works out its ok, if not we are not loosing much
Nah too much head down running without the end product

Stacks

Would love De Ligt and would hate Maguire. Think he is massively overhyped by the media due to his nationality. Just my opinion from what I've seen of him.
I feel the same. I have major doubts Macguire would magically sure up our defence. I didn't even think Englands defence was all that at the WC