Who's next out of the door?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Jones is very injury prone but not a bad defender.
Valencia has had it.
Rojo- never had it. Why he’s still here is a mystery.
Don’t like Lindelhoff. Not a Utd player but given the Scandinavian connection I can see him being given a chance.
Pereira- not good enough

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think managers say that to be diplomatic. They generally know whos shite and whos not.
If he’s been watching games in Norway as he stated, it won’t be hard to work out the players who don’t have the Utd DNA

However, if he can get the confidence into Lukaku and Rashford. Get Shaw overlapping like he can , there’s no reason why some players can’t perform higher

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Jones is very injury prone but not a bad defender.
This myth keeps on getting peddled. Jones when fit regularly makes mistakes, and has cost us a cup final all by himself. The lad is constantly one challenge away from going into a full blown panic. A defender not in control is a bad defender and that's Jones to a tee.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
To be honest, if you are an interim manager coming into this job then the players you turn to will be the likes of Young, Smalling and Valencia.

Obviously we can still get drastic changes in style of play but I doubt they will want to shake things up with team selections etc. but who knows.

If I was the board right now my focus would be on steadying the ship, getting players on side and not fecking things up further while we plan for the next manager.

Summer will be the time where we start to get rid of the deadwood and properly rebuild.
Groundhog day yet again :(

lex talionis

Players at the end of their careers such as Valencia and Matic will get their minutes but they’re not coming back next year. Others who have underperformed such as Jones and Darmian will be given a chance to prove themselves and we’ll see what they make of that chance.

RedNed77

Over the years United have tended to finish top or near the top of the U23/U21/reserves league. When Warren Joyce left, the quality of the U23 squad appeared relatively modest compared to previous seasons and Nicky Butt struggled as a caretaker manager with the team finishing 6th. When Sbragia took over, the talent pipeline from the U18s seemed to have improved, the U18s were playing exciting football, scoring lots of goals and back to winning matches under McKenna, finishing 2nd in 2016/17.

Sbragia, adopting a cautious line-up favouring hard working midfielders over more technically gifted alternatives, saw his U23 squad get relegated, having struggled to score and conceding far too many goals. He chose to select a couple of players that returned to the club in the Jan transfer window after failed loan spells. Of the younger players who moved up from the U18s after Christmas, only Tahith Chong impressed during the spring.

This season, now in the lower U23 PL division, results have been better, top of the table having played one game more than the 2nd placed side, though the team still scores at a lower rate than you would expect (6th best on goals scored out of 12 teams), with much of the success down to a sold defence, featuring two central defenders that probably should be out on loan for their own benefit, given Regan Poole played last season on loan in League One, while Ro-Shaun Williams had already made about 40 starts for our U23s prior to the start of this season.

How much of the blame is really down to Sbragia, and how much is players struggling with the step up from the U18s, is an open question. Some contributors on here are concerned that Sbragia isn't helping the development of those players that might be future first team players.
Thanks for the info, I don't really follow the U23's or the results. I did google it after I had posted the question, although I probably should have done that before :nervous:, and saw he'd got us relegated.

John Blund

How can people say Pereira isn't good enough? Have you seen him play one minute for us this season? This is one of the many weird cases under Moutinho. Andreas Pereira was our best player, (with Sanchez) pre-season.
He played against Leicester, and his performance was rather good. Better than all of Matic's performances this season.

The only players I don't believe will improve or fit in under Solskjaer and his follower is Darmian and McTominay.
Darmian doesn't strike me as a natural attacking fullback.
McTominay - I can't see any potential here. I just see a tall, slow player, with no real strength.

T A

Gave Felé and Mike Pelé contract extension before leaving. Hope you were never here José

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If the stories about players threatening to leave if Jose stayed is true, and I suspect they are, then it's a damn shame that's what it took to sack Jose.

Obviously our worst start in 26 years wasn't enough to get rid. The players had to make themselves the bad guys.

Tiber

Can Sanchez, Fellaini, Rojo and Matic all fit through the door at the same time?

Though Jose probably made Fellaini so well paid we will never get rid of him.

Craig1976

Rojo, Jones, Valencia, Fellani, Darmian, Matic, Young.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlwaysRed66

As long as Fellaini never plays again for this club, I don't really care at this time.

Gopher Brown

It’s always odd in these threads that people want to get rid of loads of players, but it’s new players who will lead us to success, not getting rid of ‘deadwood’ which is always a very dim view of players.

Fellaini needs to be kept until there’s someone better to replace him. It’s not like we couldn’t trim the squad if we sign better ones.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Whoever the new DoF and manager are, if by the start of next season we still have Fellaini, Lingard, Young, Valencia and Jones starting games for us, we will face the same problems we are currently facing.

We need to do the sort of rebuilding City did to their squad. They have top class players on the field and on the bench.

Alabaster Codify7

Nobody will leave in January. Or sign. Which to be honest, I dont mind - new manager need to hit the ground running then, and clear out a lot of dross this summer.

Jones - to someone like West Ham - £15m.
Rojo - abroad, maybe AC Milan or something - £15m.
Darmian - back to Italy - £10m.
Valencia - somewhere like Fulham I reckon - free.
Sanchez - unless he kicks on this season, maybe China - £30-40m.
Pogba - contentious, this one. All depends on his form and our next manager, but if he leaves, Juventus - £80m.

Start from the back - these guy need to go

Valencia
Jones
Rojo
Darmian
Young

We need to really invest in defense in the summer.