Other Who's the most famous/well-known celebrity on the planet?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@BusbyMalone I like the thread and actually find it quite interesting given certain era's you actually might get one person who stands out (eg. Michael Jackson in the 80s possibly).

But do people need to know what they look like or just have heard the name to be included for the sake of the thread. There will be many who know the queen of England but might not necessarily know what she looks like or she's called Elizabeth.

I reckon get 10 names in and create a poll - for a bit of fun as I've got nothing better to do tonight
People need to know the face and be able to put a name on it. The Queen of England is a title, it's no different to the CEO of Coca Cola. :angel:

Last edited:

Counterfactual

Counterintuitive Counterfactual .
" In a survey conducted in 18 countries in 2021, around 39 percent of respondents stated that the genre K-pop was “very popular” in their country. The popularity was at the point where K-pop was known to the general public and related products were being sold. The survey found that the popularity of K-pop reaches far beyond South Korean borders. "

Just because I'm an old fart who has never heard of any of them... :D

JPRouve

Scout
I get that, but it surely depends on what the criteria is as to how far her impression stretches? If it’s the most people who know a face only, then the goalposts shift emphatically.
The conversation was about someone personal fame, the goalpost didn't shift.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Perhaps the Marvel lot catch her up with the younger generations cancelling the old, but to this kind of scale? One region of the world I know nothing about in terms of connection to her is Russia: @harms does she have a big footprint there? Also across the generations is she any kind big deal?

Should add the terms of recognition we’re never established as it makes a big difference to might come out on top. The queen is currency, memorabilia and so forth.
I'd think that most would probably recognise her. She's obviously not a big deal as she's completely irrelevant on a political level but she's been around for so long that people still usually know of her existence, one way or another.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I'd think that most would probably recognise her. She's obviously not a big deal as she's completely irrelevant on a political level but she's been around for so long that people still usually know of her existence, one way or another.
Also stuff like "The Crown" and the royal weddings and stuff attract tonnes of the younger generations who maybe wouldn't know her that well otherwise.

Even the whole Harry/Meghan stuff that's all over the gossip mags keeps her relevant with people with zero interest in politics.

JPRouve

Scout
When all is said and done, the only thing that matters is that Phil Collins is a bigger star than Ronaldo.

Nogbadthebad

Robert Downey Junior was basically the face of the avengers movies, thats 4 of the 10 best selling movies of all time, including the movie event of the century in end game.

If I were to pick an actor to be the most famous, I'd take him over Rock.

I'd still go with the queen overall though. Shes still part of the story for entire continents, kids from Africa to North America and all over Europe learn who she is.

Tarrou

Robert Downey Junior was basically the face of the avengers movies, thats 4 of the 10 best selling movies of all time, including the movie event of the century in end game.

I'd still go with the queen overall though. Shes still part of the story for entire continents, kids from Africa to North America and all over Europe learn who she is.
the what now?

We need an rvn

For me, yes. That surely has to be an integral part of it. Has to be a combination of name recognition and facial recognition. That's why, as I said above, I would bump the Queen down the list a bit. And as I created the thread, I am going to go mad with power and declare them the rules!
Your thread, your rule and 100% agreed.

Hence I'd throw the pope / queen out straight away. I have no idea what the pope's name is and only know the queen's name because I'm English but many others would have heard of the queen yet not know his name was Freddie

Nogbadthebad

the what now?
It doesn't matter whether you like those films or not, it was a culmination of a 10 year story across 14 films, 4 of which are in the top 10 selling films of all time, with end game the best selling of all time.

There has been nothing like it before, and won't be again.

Tarrou

It doesn't matter whether you like those films or not, it was a culmination of a 10 year story across 14 films, 4 of which are in the top 10 selling films of all time, with end game the best selling of all time.

There has been nothing like it before, and won't be again.
it's weird I just don't remember much hoohaa about it, although I was kinda busy that year

I'll have to give it a watch

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Surprised not to see Joe Biden mentioned more. I just think being POTUS automatically makes you one of the most famous people on the planet. Whether he's the most, I don't know. But would he be ahead of the Queen?

caid

Surprised not to see Joe Biden mentioned more. I just think being POTUS automatically makes you one of the most famous people on the planet. Whether he's the most, I don't know. But would he be ahead of the Queen?
I think even now Trump is discussed more than him. I suspect Obama would be more famous than him too. Largely agree with the point though. I'd think Putin would be more famous than most of them by virtue of longevity

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Kanye West.
Not sure, to be honest. Way more musicians are more popular than him I think. Just having a quick glance at the Spotify numbers ( I know it's not exactly scientific), but if you look at all time and monthly, he doesn't appear in the top ten in some of those. As for monthly, I don't even think he breaks the top 20. I'd probably have Ed Sheeran over him I think.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Who compiled this list? Not saying that RDJ isn’t known but to have him ahead of all the other big name Hollywood actors?!

Edit: I didn’t even realise he was above Ronaldo until the poster below me mentioned it. Definitely another of those ‘the world revolves around America’ things.
RDJ is probably the biggest name in Hollywood after all the Marvel movies he has done.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Tom Cruise is much more famous than those two. And unlike Marvel's kiddy stuff 50 plus people also know him.

lsd

The Oracle

Not even close and the problem with using those stats is the amount of people who watch marvel films over and over and over.

I would argue a film that grosses even a third of a marvel film likely has more people going to watch it but they do so once and not twenty or so times.

I'm not a Tom Cruise fan but he would be my choice as biggest film star and would be known by so many more people than Downey Jr.

Bigger though would be sports stars Le Bron James and Tiger Woods would be known pretty much worldwide.

I doubt there are too many people haven't heard of Barack Obama either

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This is such a strange conversation for people to get worked up over :lol:
It was proper kicking-off in the Ronaldo thread. That's why I created this one for.

All that being said, Ronaldo IS NOT the most famous person in the world!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
it's weird I just don't remember much hoohaa about it, although I was kinda busy that year

I'll have to give it a watch
Only sounds vaguely familiar so I think that description is more than a bit OTT.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Which other person on the planet do you think could die and illicit the kind of worldwide response and reaction the queen has?

And as stated earlier in the thread, even if she wasn't #1 whilst alive, a global blitz from the media will have put her into the consciousness of so many more people - particularly the young.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Its going to be different depening on what culture. Western Culture maybe Joe Biden or Trump. But in China it will be someone different.

LInkash

Which other person on the planet do you think could die and illicit the kind of worldwide response and reaction the queen has?

And as stated earlier in the thread, even if she wasn't #1 whilst alive, a global blitz from the media will have put her into the consciousness of so many more people - particularly the young.
I think this is about most famous person alive.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It was obviously Queenie but I'm not sure who it is now. Not someone that no one outside India has heard of for a kick-off. Hate to say it but it might be Donald Trump. Hate to say why as well, but I reckon it's got to be a yank, as half the world wants to up sticks and move to the states to get rich, or otherwise, if they could. Sporting figures, actors, business moguls all have a limited number of people interested in what they do, but everyone's heard of the president (as was).