Other Who's the most famous/well-known celebrity on the planet?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
What movie role of his eclipses the Avengers in terms of exposure?
Obviously Less than Zero

--------------------------------------------
Of course, there are sports figures (LeBron, Messi, Cristiano, Federer, Serena), musicians (Beyonce, Mick Jagger), actors (Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie), heads of state (Obama, Trump, QE2), and billionaires (Bezos, Musk, Gates) that are known all around the world.

But the strangest to me are always the Zsa Zsa Gabors, the people who are famous mostly just for being famous. Now, we have the whole Jenner-Kardashian klan in that category, who never really did much in any field to make them famous on their own merit, they are just famous for being the kids of a relatively well-known 1970s Olympic athlete and an attorney for the rich and powerful who parlayed a really bad reality show into expanding their already massive fortune and fame.

tomaldinho1

Are we looking for most well-known as in largest amount of people would know him/her? Then a Chinese or Indian person is a fair shout, or someone like Eileen Gu who's known in both China/Asia as the USA.

If we are looking for a person who your average Joe in the streets would recognize on a global basis (i.e. most countries worldwide), a sports star like Jordan or Ronaldo is probably a great shout imo. Although for someone like Jordan, I reckon the entire global population below 20 outside the US would struggle to identify him. Trump is also a candidate.
Jackie Chan genuinely probably is up there.
I have no idea who Eileen Gu is but I bet close to 100% of this forum knows who Jackie Chan is.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Which other person on the planet do you think could die and illicit the kind of worldwide response and reaction the queen has?

And as stated earlier in the thread, even if she wasn't #1 whilst alive, a global blitz from the media will have put her into the consciousness of so many more people - particularly the young.

She's nowhere near the most famous person in the world as her name isn't "Queen". Just like "US president" isn't the most famous person around. Huge chunks of countries wouldn't even be able to tell you her name.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
She's nowhere near the most famous person in the world as her name isn't "Queen". Just like "US president" isn't the most famous person around. Huge chunks of countries wouldn't even be able to tell you her name.
You haven't answered what I asked you.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
1. The Queen,
2. The Pope,
3. Donald Trump,
4. Bill Gates,
5. Elon Musk,
6. Cristiano Ronaldo,
7. Michael Jordan,
8. Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson

Probably in that order, in my opinion.

I’d put CR7 as high as 3.

Half a billion social media followers is nothing to scoff at.

Abizzz

Wouldn't Narenda Modi and Xi Jinging fare pretty well? India and China's huge populations give them a massive head start, but especially China's rise has made Xi well known outside of China too.

(ffs @Carolina Red beat me to it.)

Tarrou

Wouldn't Narenda Modi and Xi Jinging fare pretty well? India and China's huge populations give them a massive head start, but especially China's rise has made Xi well known outside of China too.

(ffs @Carolina Red beat me to it.)
I don’t think they’d fare well at all

it has to be someone known all over, surely

Carolina Red

Staff

1 out of every 5.5 people on earth lives in either country.

Also, over half the world’s population lives in an area directly connected to their spheres of influence.

Tarrou

Look at the image I added above.
okay but the two countries are not well that connected politically or culturally?

they are just two big countries close to each other, but for the purposes of this debate they are quite seperate

Carolina Red

Staff
okay but the two countries are not well that connected politically or culturally?

they are just two big countries close to each other, but for the purposes of this debate they are quite seperate
You’ve missed the point.

People within that circle are absolutely going to know who Xi and Modi are. Xi especially so.

And beyond that, people all of the rest of world are going to know who they are as well, since they lead the two most populous countries on earth.

That adds up to some big totals.

Tarrou

You’ve missed the point.

People within that circle are absolutely going to know who Xi and Modi are. Xi especially so.

And beyond that, people all of the rest of world are going to know who they are as well, since they lead the two most populous countries on earth.

That adds up to some big totals.
No they’re not. As I said, the two countries are not closely connected politically or culturally. There is no particular reason why people in India would know Xi more than say western leaders.

Abizzz

Who's known all over though? Western celebrities aren't known by the masses in non English speaking countries (they have their own celebrities). Footballers aren't really that well known to non football fans. Same for tennis players etc. World cup finals are generally the most watched events around the world that I'm aware of, but even they are only watched by about 2/3 of the population of China in total. Meanwhile every single Chinese person will know Xi (save for the mentally handicapped).

The only people I could see beating them are other heads of state. I.e Obama, Trump, formerly the Queen. But the more I think about it the more I think it's probably Xi.

Tarrou

Who's known all over though? Western celebrities aren't known by the masses in non English speaking countries (they have their own celebrities). Footballers aren't really that well known to non football fans. Same for tennis players etc. World cup finals are generally the most watched events around the world that I'm aware of, but even they are only watched by about 2/3 of the population of China in total. Meanwhile every single Chinese person will know Xi (save for the mentally handicapped).

The only people I could see beating them are other heads of state. I.e Obama, Trump, formerly the Queen. But the more I think about it the more I think it's probably Xi.
probably no one is known all over due to China/India, but a select few are known by most of the non-China people at least..

Ronaldo, Trump, The Queen etc.. and probably a few actors too

Carolina Red

Staff
No they’re not. As I said, the two countries are not closely connected politically or culturally. There is no particular reason why people in India would know Xi more than say western leaders.
My man, I am sitting in a living room in South Carolina, USA taking to you about them… so there’s +1. You are “from Sydney” and also talking about them, so there’s +2.

Also, they are more connected than you seem to think.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-29218466.amp
https://www.cfr.org/blog/xi-jinping-india-mamallapuram-edition?amp

Tarrou

My man, I am sitting in a living room in South Carolina, USA taking to you about them… so there’s +1. You are “from Sydney” and also talking about them, so there’s +2.
only another 8 billion people to ask and we can close this one off :lol:

Tarrou

Eh, more like 3.8 billion or so. Like I said, we can already mark off most of that half of the world’s population that’s next to them.
yeah was only joking mate

But if you completely ignore the fact that China is closed off from most of the world, sure you have a point

Carolina Red

Staff
okay you’ve basically ignored my point that you can’t lump these two together 5 or 6 times now so will leave it there
I’ve not ignored it. I just think you’re wrong.

I do believe that Xi is more known than Modi, but I also believe that Modi is ridiculously well know if going off what percentage of the world’s population know who he is.

Tarrou

I’ve not ignored it. I just think you’re wrong.

I do believe that Xi is more known than Modi, but I also believe that Modi is ridiculously well know if going off what percentage of the world’s population know who he is.
so you think China and India are closely related culturally?

amolbhatia50k

It's the only the US president really. But yeah they'd be more famous here than Xi.

Carolina Red

Staff
so you think China and India are closely related culturally?
What does that have to do with people knowing who people are? :lol:

And for the record - YES - China and India are linked. Their governments frequently interact with one another, they are major trade partners with one another, and they even get really damned mad at one another every now and then over their shared border.

amolbhatia50k

And for the record - YES - China and India are linked. Their governments frequently interact with one another, they are major trade partners with one another, and they even get really damned mad at one another every now and then over their shared border.
China are us are connected of course and have an on the edge relationship. But Trump and Obama would still be more known here due to the relevance / media coverage of the US Prez.

Tarrou

being closely linked culturally has everything to do with the people in each country knowing each other’s.. erm.. culture

amolbhatia50k

What percentage of this circle do you think would know of Xi Jinping and Modi?

I dunno. I'd imagine Xi is more famous globally. He's been office for longer (I think?) and China is a bigger player in global politics and economics than our country.

Carolina Red

Staff
China are us are connected of course and have an on the edge relationship. But Trump and Obama would still be more known here due to the relevance / media coverage of the US Prez.
I don’t doubt that whatsoever, I’m simply saying that Xi is going to be picking up people on his tally in India, just as Modi would be in China.

Since they both start out with around 1.4 billion in their home countries, and over half the world lives in the area that their countries influence the most, they’re going to be coming in with extremely large totals in the “most well known” competition.

Carolina Red

Staff
being closely linked culturally has everything to do with the people in each country knowing each other’s.. erm.. culture
You’re quite right. The only issue is that this thread isn’t about knowing someone’s “erm… culture”, it’s about who the most well known individual on earth is.