Other Who's the most famous/well-known celebrity on the planet?

Tarrou

The heavily western oriented nature of the Caf fails to take into account the sheer number of people who live in South East Asia. And as someone originally from India, believe me Ronaldo or Messi are not names who are anywhere near the most recognizable on the planet.
who is then?

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Won't be surprised if it's Zelensky and/or Putin currently. First real social media era war, got to be known all across the world.

TheLord

I am pretty certain it is the Queen. I mean, who wouldn't know her, except in the most remote places of earth that have no access to maintream content. Plus the fact that she's been around since nearly all of us alive folks!

It is certainly not some cricketer or politician of India / Pakistan as some are suggesting as the Queen would be incredibly well-known in the Commonwealth, far more than anyone else.

Many may not like her. Now that's something else.

Kag

Trump or Queen Elizabeth II. Recognised in every corner.

I don’t think some people really understand just how much reach social media has had in recent years with regards to celebrity culture.

Kag

The Beckham shouts are interesting. Even most ten years old and under in the UK wouldn’t have a scooby if you showed them a picture of him.

MrGroovy

It would’ve been Michael Jackson if he’s still alive.
But now, probably Michael Jordan.

We need an rvn

If we're talking now, the global appeal of football surely means if it were a sportsman it would be Ronaldo or Messi. Personally, I think Brady / Lebron have just as much appeal but the fact a lot of countries don't want NFL / NBA means they're probably not be global. Don't think there's a musician or movie star as big as R & M at the moment.

If we're talking 90's I'd probably argue for either Michael Jackson or Michael Jordan.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You're just proving my point here. It says Beckham has a fanbase of 10 million in China. Let's say Ronaldo has fanbase of 50 million. The population of China is 1.4 billion. So hardly a really recognizable name in the grand scheme of things. That's my point. 5-10 million is a huge number from a western perspective, but for countries of billions like India and China it's really not that big.

OverratedOpinion

You're just proving my point here. It says Beckham has a fanbase of 10 million in China. Let's say Ronaldo has fanbase of 50 million. The population of China is 1.4 billion. So hardly a really recognizable name in the grand scheme of things. That's my point. 5-10 million is a huge number from a western perspective, but for countries of billions like India and China it's really not that big.
Do you believe that out of 1.4 billion people only 50 million know who Ronaldo is?

Can you provide anything at all to back that up because it sounds highly unlikely?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ronaldo for sure.

Biggest instagram following, most adults and kids know who he is, popular in Europe/Africa/Asia/America's.

I'm not sure there is many who can say that and cover such a wide age group.

King7Eric

Do you believe that out of 1.4 billion people only 50 million know who Ronaldo is?

Can you provide anything at all to back that up because it sounds highly unlikely?
You do know that football isn't exactly a premier sport in SE Asia right? A fair portion follow it but it's dwarfed by the number who don't. I can't back the exact number by data because it'd be impossible to know but I was going by the numbers in the article you shared.

Just 6 countries of the top of head - India, China, Japan, Indonesia, Pakistan and Bangladesh have probably close to 3 billion people living there. Football is not exactly an all encompassing sport there like it's in Europe. Most people in these countries ( except Japan) live in poor, squalid conditions in villages without access to cable television. They are not likely to know who a footballer is when most likely they never heard of the sport.

Given the large populations of these countries millions would undoubtedly know of him, but many more than that also won't.

OverratedOpinion

You do know that football isn't exactly a premier sport in SE Asia right? A fair portion follow it but it's dwarfed by the number who don't. I can't back the exact number by data because it'd be impossible to know but I was going by the numbers in the article you shared.

Just 6 countries of the top of head - India, China, Japan, Indonesia, Pakistan and Bangladesh have probably close to 3 billion people living there. Football is not exactly an all encompassing sport there like it's in Europe. Most people in these countries ( except Japan) live in poor, squalid conditions in villages without access to cable television. They are not likely to know who a footballer is when most likely they never heard of the sport.

Given the large populations of these countries millions would undoubtedly know of him, but many more than that also won't.
I think you are ignoring the level that these countries are integrated into western pop culture and the fact that Ronaldo is the biggest "influencer" in western culture (god I hate that term). If you really believe that less than 10% of people in China know who Cristiano Ronaldo is then I would need something to actually back it up for me to not just see that as a very, very strange opinion. I am not saying fans btw, I am saying know who he is.

Also the most famous/well known person in the world will come from a western country as western media is the most widely spread by many multiples. Simply put someone in India is drastically more likely to know who Robert Downey Jr is than someone in California knowing a comparable Bollywood actor.

King7Eric

I think you are ignoring the level that these countries are integrated into western pop culture and the fact that Ronaldo is the biggest "influencer" in western culture (god I hate that term). If you really believe that less than 10% of people in China know who Cristiano Ronaldo is then I would need something to actually back it up for me to not just see that as a very, very strange opinion. I am not saying fans btw, I am saying know who he is.

Also the most famous/well known person in the world will come from a western country as western media is the most widely spread by many multiples. Simply put someone in India is drastically more likely to know who Robert Downey Jr is than someone in California knowing a comparable Bollywood actor.
Mate I have friends and family in India and go there every year. Similarly I have friends from Pakistan and loads of Chinese and Japanese colleagues, so I know that while these countries are very much influenced by the west, it's not yet to the extent that some people on here think. The scale of people is something that you don't comprehend until you see for yourself so even if a 100 million people know Ronaldo, it's not really a large number in a country like India or China.

And football is just not that big a cultural medium in these countries as politics or the entertainment industry would be. So it's only on a football forum that it could be suggested that a footballer would the most recognizable human being on the planet.

I am not saying that the most recognizable person wouldn't be from the west, I myself think someone like Trump or the Queen is in with a shout. But to put it into context, The population of USA and EU combined is probably still less than the population of India alone. The number of people in SE Asia are insane and a footballer would never be the most recognizable person there.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Mate I have friends and family in India and go there every year. Similarly I have friends from Pakistan and loads of Chinese and Japanese colleagues, so I know that while these countries are very much influenced by the west, it's not yet to the extent that some people on here think. The scale of people is something that you don't comprehend until you see for yourself so even if a 100 million people know Ronaldo, it's not really a large number in a country like India or China.

And football is just not that big a cultural medium in these countries as politics or the entertainment industry would be. So it's only on a football forum that it could be suggested that a footballer would the most recognizable human being on the planet.

I am not saying that the most recognizable person wouldn't be from the west, I myself think someone like Trump or the Queen is in with a shout. But to put it into context, The population of USA and EU combined is probably still less than the population of India alone. The number of people in SE Asia are insane and a footballer would never be the most recognizable person there.
Probably? It's barely half of India's population.

And I agree with you, people underestimate the importance of local news and culture. For example someone like Omar Sy is more recognizable in France than pretty much all footballers not named Zidane but I don't know if he is well known outside of France.

OverratedOpinion

Yes they have a huge population. I have been to India twice, I am aware.

I think you are drastically confusing the difference between being a fan and knowing who someone is. Again saying less than 1 tenth (100 million) of people in China would know who Ronaldo is absurd to me personally. I think an even higher percentage would be aware in India.

King7Eric

Yes they have a huge population. I have been to India twice, I am aware.

I think you are drastically confusing the difference between being a fan and knowing who someone is. Again saying less than 1 tenth (100 million) of people in China would know who Ronaldo is absurd to me personally. I think an even higher percentage would be aware in India.
I get the difference and I get what you are saying. But I don't think it is absurd. Football is just not that big in these countries. In fact sport in general ( with the exception of cricket for India and Pakistan) is not that big a cultural medium in Asia as it is in the west.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Football is just not that big in these countries. In fact sport in general ( with the exception of cricket for India and Pakistan) is not that big a cultural medium in Asia as it is in the west.
To be honest the more I "Research" the topic the more I do lean towards it being one of the Marvel guys (Endgame in the top ten Box office of both China and India, basically total global superstardom) rather than a footballer (Champions league final averaging around 400m Viewers).

King7Eric

To be honest the more I "Research" the topic the more I do lean towards it being one of the Marvel guys (Endgame in the top ten Box office of both China and India, basically total global superstardom) rather than a footballer (Champions league final averaging around 400m Viewers).
I don't know if it'd be one of the Marvel guys( could be) but yeah I definitely believe it'll be someone from the entertainment industry or the political world, not a sportsperson.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You think the average 50+-year old Indian or Chinese person is going to better know a Marvel actor over the queen?

JPRouve

Scout
You think the average 50+-year old Indian or Chinese person is going to better know a Marvel actor over the queen?
They know their own national star more than the Queen or a marvel actor, though it's worth remembering that Robert Downey Jr stardom begun a while ago.

One thing about the Queen is that I suspect that people know that the UK has one but a fair amount of people wouldn't recognize her or be able to name her.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm going to say that the Queen is very overrated here in terms of being the most famous/well-known. It may sound daft to say, but how many would actually know what she looks like? Yeah, they know of the Queen but would the younger generation, in particular, know what she looks like? I wouldn't have her that far up on the list.

King7Eric

They know their own national star more than the Queen or a marvel actor, though it's worth remembering that Robert Downey Jr stardom begun a while ago.

One thing about the Queen is that I suspect that people know that the UK has one but a fair amount of people wouldn't recognize her or be able to name her.
I'm going to say that the Queen is very overrated here in terms of being the most famous/well-known. It may sound daft to say, but how many would actually know what she looks like? Yeah, they know of the Queen but would the younger generation, in particular, know what she looks like? I wouldn't have her that far up on the list.
That's a fair point about the Queen. One of my answers was the Queen but I think it's true that most people would know there is a Queen, but might not know her face.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

India have their own messy relationship with our rulership - I don’t know how much the younger generations care about that, but older ones are going to have had her face shoved down their collective throats at some time or other. She’s toured there and that would have come with grand ceremony in itself. You’ve got commonwealth countries even now with people stupid enough to be royalist with old people adorning her on walls in their homes. Hong Kong has only just been given back to China in relative terms (to her fame); there’s a lot of crossover into China amongst the older generations with the nobility of the queen - the concept of this grandiose regal royal family with contemporary relevance - I can see how her impression might be fading with the younger generations, but I still think her imprint on the world as a whole is massive.

Perhaps the Marvel lot catch her up with the younger generations cancelling the old, but to this kind of scale? One region of the world I know nothing about in terms of connection to her is Russia: @harms does she have a big footprint there? Also across the generations is she any kind big deal?

Should add the terms of recognition we’re never established as it makes a big difference to might come out on top. The queen is currency, memorabilia and so forth.

JPRouve

Scout
India have their own messy relationship with our rulership - I don’t know how much the younger generations care about that, but older ones are going to have had her face shoved down their collective throats at some time or other. She’s toured there and that would have come with grand ceremony in itself. You’ve got commonwealth countries even now with people stupid enough to be royalist with old people adorning her on walls in their homes. Hong Kong has only just been given back to China in relative terms (to her fame); there’s a lot of crossover into China amongst the older generations with the nobility of the queen - the concept of this grandiose regal royal family with contemporary relevance - I can see how her impression might be fading with the younger generations, but I still think her imprint on the world as a whole is massive.

Perhaps the Marvel lot catch her up with the younger generations cancelling the old, but to this kind of scale? One region of the world I know nothing about in terms of connection to her is Russia: @harms does she have a big footprint there? Also across the generation is she any kind big deal?
I'm not saying that she is a nobody, I'm saying that literally a fair amount of people don't actually know her face or care enough about her to search and look for her face or name.

We need an rvn

Some k-pop star I've never heard of.
Nah - global is global and I don't think kids on other continents are into Kardasian or Tik Tok as our spoilt European or North American kids and adults don't give to hoots about what size her latest arse is.

But they would have heard of Messi, Ronaldo and McFred. The wear the shirt and listen / watch the matches in villages with just one tv.

But it is a genuinely good question. In the 80s / 90s I think most on here would say Michael Jackson - he was a global star and his music was listened to by billions. I don't think there was anyone bigger. Who do we currently have in the music / movie industry who could match the sports stars of today? People say the pope / queen but I couldn't tell you what the pope looks like nor his name other than what his job title is.

We need an rvn

@BusbyMalone I like the thread and actually find it quite interesting given certain era's you actually might get one person who stands out (eg. Michael Jackson in the 80s possibly).

But do people need to know what they look like or just have heard the name to be included for the sake of the thread. There will be many who know the queen of England but might not necessarily know what she looks like or she's called Elizabeth.

I reckon get 10 names in and create a poll - for a bit of fun as I've got nothing better to do tonight

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm not saying that she is a nobody, I'm saying that literally a fair amount of people don't actually know her face or care enough about her to search and look for her face or name.
I get that, but it surely depends on what the criteria is as to how far her impression stretches? If it’s the most people who know a face only, then the goalposts shift emphatically.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
@BusbyMalone I like the thread and actually find it quite interesting given certain era's you actually might get one person who stands out (eg. Michael Jackson in the 80s possibly).

But do people need to know what they look like or just have heard the name to be included for the sake of the thread. There will be many who know the queen of England but might not necessarily know what she looks like or she's called Elizabeth.

I reckon get 10 names in and create a poll - for a bit of fun as I've got nothing better to do tonight
For me, yes. That surely has to be an integral part of it. Has to be a combination of name recognition and facial recognition. That's why, as I said above, I would bump the Queen down the list a bit. And as I created the thread, I am going to go mad with power and declare them the rules!