Why aren't we more angry about players' wages?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Make tickets free (merit, geography, lotto based with donations to club based and authorized charities earning you preferential odds) and the wages will already drop to balance out. Yes there is more money in the game but why is it all going the side of club owners and players. Heck drop televising costs, which reduces income for TV companies which reduces what they shell out to clubs which in turn reduces what players get. Football is one example of many for industries which have just skewed too horribly in favor of the few
The majority of the wealth is in the hands of a tiny amount in all of life.

And we settle for that, as everyone had the same, we'd all be a lot less well off than we are now.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ryan Mason has retired today, reminder for people who are angry about the wages. They are just 1 incident away from ending their careers.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ryan Mason has retired today, reminder for people who are angry about the wages. They are just 1 incident away from ending their careers.
Exactly. And it’s not as though those who keep playing until their mid thirties spend the rest of their life on easy street. A tiny minority, possibly. But considering they’re the best of the best, in a multi-billion pound industry, it seems incredibly churlish to be “angry” at them for having a smallish slice of that pie.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly. And it’s not as though those who keep playing until their mid thirties spend the rest of their life on easy street. A tiny minority, possibly. But considering they’re the best of the best, in a multi-billion pound industry, it seems incredibly churlish to be “angry” at them for having a smallish slice of that pie.
Exactly. These players playing in top leagues are considered as the best, they represent maybe 1% of professional players playing all over the world. So very best in any business are paid very good money, just like in Movies, other sports or top Surgeons.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
These players are not paid by the public sector

They are paid by companies so why does it matter if a player is paid X amount?

It's not coming out of your pocket unless you choose to actively follow football and support a team

If you do contribute to their wages then stop following football is my advice

They get these wages because people are willing to pay to see them all across the world so have value to companies and league's in proportion to that

Nobody complains about movie stars or singers being overpaid why is it any different for a footballer?

Big Andy

Bloke
I'm more surprised that more players haven't signed up to Juan Mata's Common Goal thing...especially all the United players...

I'd be making that a mandatory thing in their contracts tbf...1% is nothing to them...

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I'm more surprised that more players haven't signed up to Juan Mata's Common Goal thing...especially all the United players...

I'd be making that a mandatory thing in their contracts tbf...1% is nothing to them...
A lot of players have other ways to give back.

LoneStar

Wages are relative to the worth of an employee to the company. United make over half a billion pounds a year, and that's largely because of the players who put on a United shirt and kick a ball about. Therefore a lot of the wealth goes to them. It's no different to a lead actor earning £20m for a movie, or Lewis Hamilton earning tens of millions a year for racing a car.

The only issue I have with a footballers wages are when it's a lazy bellend who isn't deserving of them. Actors and F1 drivers have to earn their money because they have nowhere to hide and no one to lean on. Football players can hide behind their team mates, have a terrible attitude, and at times not even bother showing up to training, but still earn a fortune.

If a player works hard and gives his all and proves to be a valuable asset to the team, I couldn't give a shite what he's paid.
Not sure I’d agree about that, especially with the current players. We make money so much because of our success in the past, and that we have become a commercial behemoth, thanks to our past and excellent marketing.

But yes, I get your point. Just don’t think the current United players deserve the obscene wages they are getting.

Fully Fledged

Why should I be angry about what someone else earns? As far as I'm concerned it's between the club and the players. I don't care what they earn.

sparx99

The simplest way to invest in Grassroots would be if the FA instituted a Salary tax. If they charged clubs 5-10% of their wage bill as a tax each season there would be a healthy pot to invest in the right areas. It would also encourage clubs to think about their spiralling wage bill as they would also have more 'tax' to pay.