Why did we buy Fred?

FattyFooty

He wasn't amazing all the time either

He sure as hell knew how to buy players that fitted hes teams.
When buying players you also need balance. A team with 11 Ronaldos not gonna work.
Im fully aware of Djemba, Kleberson, Taibi gang. Every manager has some misses. Its how reality is. But look at some of hes signings:

Ronaldo, Solskjær, Schemichel, Keane, Vidic, Evra, Cantona, Irwin, Van Der Sar, the list go on and on....

Even in hes last season everyone screamed for a midfielder. What he do? Go buy us Van Persie and won the league.
Even to this day with the millions spend, our best player is De Gea which was one of Fergies last signings. That Ferguson was not good at signings is one of the dumbest myths out there.

Canagel

Yeah not like Mahrez played in this league before or anything.

Fred came here from a fecking Ukrainian league. It actually might take some time to adjust given how shit their league is.
Fernandinho adjusted no problems. By playing and not sitting on the bench.

AndyJ1985

Jose hasn't spent any money and City have unlimited funds...I keep hearing as we watch another £50m signing flop at our club. Beggars belief

Jinn

Why did we buy Lukaku??? Was he the only option for 75m? Chelsea striker isn't good enough either.
If we gonna complain about the Fred purchase, we should settle the Lukaku issue first. I mean the guy is just useless, even when he's scoring 20+ goals in a season. He contributes nothing to the team and expects everything on a plate to score.
Really, let's put the Lukaku myth to bed first before we pick on a newbie to the league.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Not possible, you wouldnt do worse
:lol:
Got a bit of a dodgy lower back at the moment mate, but tbf, reckon I’m still more mobile than Matic!
Might need subbing around the 60 minute mark though....engines not what it used to be :D

RooneyLegend

Jose hasn't spent any money and City have unlimited funds...I keep hearing as we watch another £50m signing flop at our club. Beggars belief
Its nothing short of remarkable. On the bench today we had the most expensive striker in the league, the best paid player in the league, a player more expensive than any Sir Alex signing ever and a 50 million quid midfielder yet somehow we're paupers and quite simply don't spend money.

jem

It really is staggering to think that 3 apparently marquee additions of the last two seasons (Lukaka, Sanchez, and Fred,) were all on the bench today. And it's not because we're spoiled for choice...

Ekeke

Mourinho gives the club a list of the players he wants in a position and then leaves it up to the club to get one of them. No idea if Fred was his first choice, second choice or a bit further down the list, but it is very very unlikely that the club signed him without Mourinho wanting him at all.

Fred may not be tall, but he is fast, athletic and quite strong for his size. That fits Mourinho.
Same as Andreas. Neither of them are playing

RedDevil5

Matic and Herrera were absolutely awful today. Give Fred a chance. A few things I vehemently disagree with that I've read here:

1. He's 5'7 so he shouldn't/can't play in the PL. Many top teams play very short midfielders. Veratti at PSG, Kante at Chelsea, Iniesta when he was at Barcelona, David Silva at City, etc. I am not saying he's at that level yet obviously, but his height isn't a serious problem. He isn't going to be going up against NBA power forwards or NFL linebackers. And if Mourinho doesn't like his height, why the feck did we buy him? That's Mourinho's problem, not Fred's.

2. He hasn't adapted to PL football yet. How do we know if he never plays? Besides, I don't buy it that he hasn't adapted or can't adapt quickly. The 19 year old at Arsenal, from the vaunted Ligue 1, is doing fine and he's nowhere near Fred in ability. Other teams have players adapt right away, or quickly if they don't the first month or so. We'll never know if he doesn't ever play. And he can't be any worse than Herrera or Matic were today surely.

Either Mourinho is just being stupid and petty, or he's already admitting that our 50m signing isn't good enough. There was no reason for Fred to be on the bench, even less so when you consider how poor our midfield was this entire game.

I can't post links here yet but go to Tifo Football and search Fred at Manchester United. Watch the video. That is what Fred should be offering us. Either give him the chance or sell him. This is absurd IMO.

Fracture90

Yeah, problem starts when an objective variable kicks in, like passing stats, then we have to resort to the 'I'm watching with my eyes, you're watching with stats' bullshit to strengthen the said bias.
When you hit a bar or a post that doesn't register as a shot on target but when for example a goalie hoofs the ball upfront and the other goalie catches it, if it's heading towards the goal, no matter if it possess little to no danger, it's registered as a goal attempt. Tells you pretty much all you need to know about some stats.

As I said before, you can watch football though the prism of advanced stats, or you can make your own judgments based on decades of football playing and watching experience, it's your choice.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yeah not like Mahrez played in this league before or anything.

Fred came here from a fecking Ukrainian league. It actually might take some time to adjust given how shit their league is.
We shouldn't have blown £50m on him in that case.

Hamadovich86

Thats a great fecking question, why the feck did Mourinho buy him if hes not going to play him? Same happened with Lindelof for the longest time, same is happening with Baily but why? We criticize LVG for his signings but Mourinho's arent world beaters either.

Kostur

海尔的老板
When you hit a bar or a post that doesn't register as a shot on target but when for example a goalie hoofs the ball upfront and the other goalie catches it, if it's heading towards the goal, no matter if it possess little to no danger, it's registered as a goal attempt. Tells you pretty much all you need to know about some stats.

As I said before, you can watch football though the prism of advanced stats, or you can make your own judgments based on decades of football playing and watching experience, it's your choice.
Of course, you can also claim the Earth is flat because you haven't seen any evidence yourself to claim otherwise. You are well entitled to that.

We shouldn't have blown £50m on him in that case.
We shouldn't have blown 50 mil quid because the player needs some time to adjust? :confused:

Fracture90

Of course, you can also claim the Earth is flat because you haven't seen any evidence yourself to claim otherwise. You are well entitled to that.
Very poor analogy considering there's plenty of evidence to debunk flat Earth theory. But unlike the Earth you can actually watch UTD games, so there's that.

I've just proven to you that stats can be misleading, don't need to do anything more.

Have a nice day on our lovely, spherical rock we call Earth.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Very poor analogy considering there's plenty of evidence to debunk flat Earth theory. But unlike the Earth you can actually watch UTD games, so there's that.

I've just proven to you that stats can be misleading, don't need to do anything more.

Have a nice day on our lovely, spherical rock we call Earth.
No, it's quite a good analogy but you probably haven't really caught it. Your opinion on what you are seeing is as worthy as mine but mine is backed up by objective variable which is statistics. You're disregarding it because it doesn't suit your agenda. You put your 'seeing' (which is subjective) ahead of my 'seeing' (which is understandable given it's your opinion) backed up with stats, which makes it a problem. Just like the flatearthers put their 'seeing' above objective evidence because that's all they've got.

Hope that helps. Have a nice day too.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mourinho admits Fellaini wasn't fit to play a whole match but still wouldn't use his £50m signing .

Fracture90

No, it's quite a good analogy but you probably haven't really caught it. Your opinion on what you are seeing is as worthy as mine but mine is backed up by objective variable which is statistics. You're disregarding it because it doesn't suit your agenda. You put your 'seeing' (which is subjective) ahead of my 'seeing' (which is understandable given it's your opinion) backed up with stats, which makes it a problem. Just like the flatearthers put their 'seeing' above objective evidence because that's all they've got.

Hope that helps. Have a nice day too.
I mean dude I pretty much explained to you why stats, especially advanced ones can be misleading, plus I've actually made an example to why's that and why stats are not to be taken as an ultimate showing, which you really haven't caught.

Actually you might be right, flat Earth might be a good analogy, you do remind me of one of those saying "yes I can see the sun and the stars and the curvature of the ocean to provide the roundness of the Earth, but 'blue marble' picture shows earth to be a flat, rounded disc and I chose to believe in that".

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We shouldn't have blown 50 mil quid because the player needs some time to adjust? :confused:
Yes. A £50m signing should be ready to go straight into the first team and start contributing to our season from day one, especially when the competition he faces for his place is so obviously average. If it is subsequently found that he's "not ready" or "needs time to adjust", then that is a recruitment failure, typical of the Mourinho era (see the Mkhitaryen and Lindelof cases).

Morpheus 7

It's a joke, he's what we need in that midfield. Matic playing 90 minutes is unforgivable, the form he's in.

Needham

We gave 50 million to a Ukranian club?
In the current cycle of transfers Utd are as thick as pigshit.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
[QUOTE="Kostur, post: 23292759, member: 649]

We shouldn't have blown 50 mil quid because the player needs some time to adjust? :confused:[/QUOTE]

We shouldn't spend £50m on a player that isn't capable of doing a job in a midfield without its best midfielder in November, no.

Irrational.

Thats a great fecking question, why the feck did Mourinho buy him if hes not going to play him? Same happened with Lindelof for the longest time, same is happening with Baily but why? We criticize LVG for his signings but Mourinho's arent world beaters either.
It is a common theme with Jose signings, he did the same with Mkhi as well.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Starting to look to me like a club signing rather than a Mourinho signing...

I mean, there was a bad atmosphere between Mourinho and Woodward this Summer, with Mourinho basically adopting the stance of a manager who hadn't been backed at all - yet we signed Fred for 50m...

But then Fred doesn't get minutes and doesn't feel like a Mourinho signing to begin with.
True. Perhaps Mourinho trying to prove a point again. Show that we have better CMs and didnt need him.
I'd go along with this.
And assuming that Dalot was not a Jose signing (Jose rarely goes for teenagers), Jose didn't get any of his targets but got 2 players who he didn't particularly want.
It would explain why he threw his toys out of his pram in the Summer.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
No idea, ask Woodward. I wouldn't have spent it, I've said in the past he looks like a raw 15m punt on an unknown. So I am not really surprised he's not playing.
There was a long post from a guy who scouted Fred.
In his summary, he started that Fred would be below Herrera in the pecking order.
It looks like this seems to be the case.

The £50M pricetag is merely a sign of the times. When defenders are bought for £75M, a decent (not great) CM can easily cost £50M. A top CM could go for around £120M.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Even in hes last season everyone screamed for a midfielder. What he do? Go buy us Van Persie and won the league.
Even to this day with the millions spend, our best player is De Gea which was one of Fergies last signings. That Ferguson was not good at signings is one of the dumbest myths out there.
Fergie was certainly impressive. No question about that.
Especially the no midfielder - buy RvP - win the league.
Jose needs to do something like this.

fergieisold

There was a long post from a guy who scouted Fred.
In his summary, he started that Fred would be below Herrera in the pecking order.
It looks like this seems to be the case.

The £50M pricetag is merely a sign of the times. When defenders are bought for £75M, a decent (not great) CM can easily cost £50M. A top CM could go for around £120M.
I don't really understand why we'd pay 50 million quid for a player that would be backup to a player that isn't a regular starter.

El-Manos

I actually think he has done quite ok? Not sure why he isn't getting more game time. He can't be worse than Matic, that's for sure. The big Serb needs a break.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This cnut cost £50m and I'm still seeing fecking Fellaini & Herrera in centre mid. Zero point to this signing, not even the lads fault. We should have spent the money on a centre back.