Why did we buy Fred?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Its nothing short of remarkable. On the bench today we had the most expensive striker in the league, the best paid player in the league, a player more expensive than any Sir Alex signing ever and a 50 million quid midfielder yet somehow we're paupers and quite simply don't spend money.
That's pretty astonishing.. and what's sad is that going on their form of the past 12 months none of them would be even close to be in contention for a spot in any of the top 5 teams in the league. No matter who we buy or how much we spend it seems as if every single player struggles when they put that United shirt on.

RooneyLegend

That's pretty astonishing.. and what's sad is that going on their form of the past 12 months none of them would be even close to be in contention for a spot in any of the top 5 teams in the league. No matter who we buy or how much we spend it seems as if every single player struggles when they put that United shirt on.
Whats more astonishing is that the answer according to some seems to be hive the manager more money.

Johan07

Fernandinho adjusted no problems. By playing and not sitting on the bench.
Its bordering to ignorant to compare the Ukrainian league now to when Fernandinho played there. Or even three years ago.

Johan07

There was a long post from a guy who scouted Fred.
In his summary, he started that Fred would be below Herrera in the pecking order.
It looks like this seems to be the case.

The £50M pricetag is merely a sign of the times. When defenders are bought for £75M, a decent (not great) CM can easily cost £50M. A top CM could go for around £120M.
That was me I guess. And no scout, but I live in Kyiv, support Dynamo after United and thus having got to see quite a lot of Shakhtar over the years.
And, yeah, that was my prediction. The Ukrainian league has been in demise since after Maidan, and its not the same as it was when Mikhy, Willian and Fernandinho played here. Not even close.
That said, my entire posts actually focused on givng some perspective so that what is happening now would not happen (EDIT supporters giving him crap). Fred can be a good maybe even great player, but he needs one or two years to adapt. He should be given that.
But I can agree on that paying Rinat fecking Akhmetov 50m for anything should always leave a sour taste in the mouth for anyone knowing anything about the Ukraine... but thats another matter...

Ashley R1+O

Mahrez started for City.
Thanks for the lineup confirmation, but I watched the game.

The £50M pricetag is merely a sign of the times. When defenders are bought for £75M, a decent (not great) CM can easily cost £50M. A top CM could go for around £120M.
It is the sign of a CFO who is throwing money around when he doesn't really know what he's doing on the football side of things.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
He's been here 3 seconds, why would he be starting an important derby?...
Fred came here from a fecking Ukrainian league. It actually might take some time to adjust given how shit their league is.
Arthur came from Brazil and started for Barca against Real Madrid.

Also, Fred has prior experience playing in the Champions League (and played very well).

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We're absolutely diabolical at integrating new players into our squad which is why the likes of Smalling, Young, Fellaini, etc. all continue to ply their trade with us. The problem Fred has is that he's arrived at a club that was in civil war and only just reaching some sort of accord, while he is now playing under a conservative manager who is not prepared to allow for a period of bedding in because his job is on the line. In this context, Fred was an absolutely pointless signing. I can kind of see why Woodward is reluctant to open the purse strings again.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Arthur came from Brazil and started for Barca against Real Madrid.

Also, Fred has prior experience playing in the Champions League (and played very well).
We're an underperforming team, Barca is not. Barca also tend to profile their players or there're certain characteristics that a player must have before he joins them, hence the integration/adaptation process is faster. We've got no such thing and haven't had it for ages, if ever.

yfoFC

Mourinho admits Fellaini wasn't fit to play a whole match but still wouldn't use his £50m signing .
I really need to highlight this as I don't think it has gotten as much attention as it should have.. It's really one of the dumbest things I've seen Jose do and that's saying alot

In that game we the fans know we will need players that can press and if the manager insists on playing matic, why not pair him with the two most high pressing players we have in herrera and fred?

Also fred has just shown the ability to pick forward passes into runners in just the last game which is something we missed in the city game

And then fellani could have rested and come in the final 20mins to cause havoc as always which is something Jose was bemoaning we lacked after the game... incredible, why not just play fred from the start then?

I know hindsight is a pretty little thing but at this point it is just common sense that our great tactician cannot seem to comprehend

eldoherz

With how poorly our midfield is playing at the moment it honestly is mind boggling that we as a team just leave two dynamic midfielders in Fred and Pereira to rot on the bench or not even in the squad on matchday.

In the Derby it was a shame that Herrera played so poorly. As atleast his inclusion makes some sense on a tactical level with the jobs he's done in the past. But to risk Fellaini for such a long spell and play Matic in his current form over either or both of these options is just so wrong.

Maticmaker

When Fred has played he has shown some good touches and most notably apart from Pogba, (who hasn't done enough of it) Fred as run into the box once or twice ahead of our front men, but was only once found with the ball and he fluffed it.

He will take time to settle in, there is no doubt and our patterns of play are probably confusing to him, (as they are to us all at times); he gets about the pitch so his work ethic's good, but he sometimes gets caught with the ball and hopefully this will get better as he gets acclimatised to the PL.

Too earlier to write him off just yet, its hard for anyone to come into a team (especially one that is struggling with its style/methods) and hit the ground running.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I really need to highlight this as I don't think it has gotten as much attention as it should have.. It's really one of the dumbest things I've seen Jose do and that's saying alot

In that game we the fans know we will need players that can press and if the manager insists on playing Matic, why not pair him with the two most high pressing players we have in Herrera and Fred?

Also Fred has just shown the ability to pick forward passes into runners in just the last game which is something we missed in the city game

And then fellani could have rested and come in the final 20mins to cause havoc as always which is something Jose was bemoaning we lacked after the game... incredible, why not just play Fred from the start then?

I know hindsight is a pretty little thing but at this point it is just common sense that our great tactician cannot seem to comprehend
The other thing that is weird about it is that just last year Fred showed he could play well against City. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but he faced them twice in the CL last season and both times he ended up doing very well (after slow starts to the match). I know that definitely happened in one of the matches, not completely certain on the second. He did well enough that City went on to want to sign him.

Murray3007

basically because city were linked and we panicked thinking he was going to turn out some superstar, could have bought players from the premiership who are just as good if not better, Neves, Cook, Doucoure for example, he might turn out good Fred, but cant see it under Jose, thought he would have been a shoe in to start against City.

clarkydaz

if City were genuinely interested in him there must be a footballer in there somewhere, as they have a manager and scouting network who know what they are doing

yfoFC

The other thing that is weird about it is that just last year Fred showed he could play well against City. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but he faced them twice in the CL last season and both times he ended up doing very well (after slow starts to the match). I know that definitely happened in one of the matches, not completely certain on the second. He did well enough that City went on to want to sign him.
Didn't watch those games but from the Bournemouth game where he retrieved possession a couple of times from them in their own half and then tried immediately to feed our attackers, it seemed obvious he would be perfect for the city game

But what do we know huh..

TsuWave

Its nothing short of remarkable. On the bench today we had the most expensive striker in the league, the best paid player in the league, a player more expensive than any Sir Alex signing ever and a 50 million quid midfielder yet somehow we're paupers and quite simply don't spend money.
exactly. I didn't even know Bailly and Lindelof only started in the same back four twice.

KennyBurner

Why is this thread even a thing? Mourinho decided not playing Martial our best attacker for a while. He is doing the same with Fred who is an instant upgrade on herrera, matic and fellaini yet you guys think Fred might be the problem?

Fred is a midfileder that can pass and play under pressure. Also has the workrate to consistently press and not sit back guarding the box while inviting pressure. Mourinho the coward won't play him and you guys think we have automatically wasted 50 million? He will come through guys but maybe not under mourinho.

RuudTom83

The problem with this money argument is that the market is constantly becoming more and more crazy.

Rio would cost about £150 million these days so comparing Jose’s spending with SAF is utterly stupid.

68Guns

From what I have see Fred The Red (the mascot) is just as good if not better than Fred the Flop at £50million)
The majority of south americans we buy are not up to it.

RooneyLegend

The problem with this money argument is that the market is constantly becoming more and more crazy.

Rio would cost about £150 million these days so comparing Jose’s spending with SAF is utterly stupid.
True, the market is crazy. However bear in mind that Lukaku is more expensive than any player City have and more expensive than any attacker Pool have on their books. There are alot of recent signings there in the same crazy market bought at good prices.

Canagel

Quite incredible he spends 50 million on Fred and doesn't use him. Why didn't he spend that on the CB he so desperately craves?
Because clearly fred wasn't a necessity to him.

RedDevil@84

Quite incredible he spends 50 million on Fred and doesn't use him. Why didn't he spend that on the CB he so desperately craves?
Because clearly Fred wasn't a necessity to him.
Varane, Toby or Maguire were not available for 50M??

CG1010

I can see Fred is the latest messiah for some but the truth is we won't start playing good football even if he plays, seeing evidence from his past starts. We are clearly giving him time to adopt, like we did with Lindelof. Hopefully he finds his feet soon though.

RuudTom83

True, the market is crazy. However bear in mind that Lukaku is more expensive than any player City have and more expensive than any attacker Pool have on their books. There are alot of recent signings there in the same crazy market bought at good prices.
But also bear in mind Pep hasn’t had to buy De Bruyne, Aguero, Silva etc. If he did then those new signings would be as high as Lukaku. If you consider Karl Walker cost €50 million.

It’s a daft argument no matter how you approach it. If every club was reset and all the squad were perchased in 1 transfer window then it would be valid.

CA1

Is it true Kovacic was Mourinho's first choice?

DanClancy

Where does this nonsense that Mourinho has spent £400m come form?

The figure is way nearer to £350m , probably somewhere between £350m -£360m

Pogba £90m
Lukaku £75m
Bailly £30m
Lindelof £30m
Mkhitaryan £26m
Fred £52m
Dalot £14m
Matic £35m
Zlatan Free

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don't really understand why we'd pay 50 million quid for a player that would be backup to a player that isn't a regular starter.
I think that Fred came in to replace Carrick and to cover injuries.
I expect to see him play more often during the hectic Christmas schedule and also in January, where I expect our midfielders to pick up injuries or struggle with fatigue.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Jose hasn't spent any money and City have unlimited funds...I keep hearing as we watch another £50m signing flop at our club. Beggars belief
You are declaring Fred a flop after 3 months?
Did you seriously expect him to be an automatic starter for us, after playing in a really bad league?
There was a full and detailed report on this forum which gave us all a great insight into just how good/bad Fred is. He was never going to be a starter for us.
Next, you'll be asking why teenager Dalot, with virtually no first team experience, isn't a regular starter for us. ;)

Posh Red

Did you seriously expect him to be an automatic starter for us, after playing in a really bad league?
There was a full and detailed report on this forum which gave us all a great insight into just how good/bad Fred is. He was never going to be a starter for us.
Next, you'll be asking why teenager Dalot, with virtually no first team experience, isn't a regular starter for us. ;)
Dalot is not similar whatsoever. Fred is a 50m midfielder so people can be forgiven for being disappointing that he has had minimal impact on our season so far. Personally, I'd be surprised if he is a regular starter by the end of this season.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Dalot is not similar whatsoever. Fred is a 50m midfielder so people can be forgiven for being disappointing that he has had minimal impact on our season so far. Personally, I'd be surprised if he is a regular starter by the end of this season.
He's been here three months. Give him time.

Posh Red

He's been here three months. Give him time.
I agree and actually believe under a different manager he will be a good player. The frustration is that the manager doesn't seem to fancy him despite spending 50m on him. I'm sure someone will tell me that it wasn't Jose who signed him though.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Why is this thread even a thing? Mourinho decided not playing Martial our best attacker for a while. He is doing the same with Fred who is an instant upgrade on Herrera, Matic and Fellaini yet you guys think Fred might be the problem?

Fred is a midfileder that can pass and play under pressure. Also has the workrate to consistently press and not sit back guarding the box while inviting pressure. Mourinho the coward won't play him and you guys think we have automatically wasted 50 million? He will come through guys but maybe not under Mourinho.
Isnt that the whole point though? If we aren't going to play him we have wasted £50m. Its not as if he was one of five that Jose was permitted to buy. He was our main signing.

Nobody is attacking Fred here - or if they are they shouldn't be. How can we? We don't know anything about him.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If we seriously just spent £53m on a player that we need to 'mould' then I weep for the future of this club.

Johan07

Where does this nonsense that Mourinho has spent £400m come form?

The figure is way nearer to £350m , probably somewhere between £350m -£360m

Pogba £90m
Lukaku £75m
Bailly £30m
Lindelof £30m
Mkhitaryan £26m
Fred £52m
Dalot £14m
Matic £35m
Zlatan Free
Correct.
And add to that: The club and Mourinho has not "spent" anything. All of those players (that are still at the club) are worth more in total (all of the players together) should we decide to sell them. They are investments. Its not like we have thrown £350m to the wolves.