Why did we buy Fred?

Castia

Would have been madness to throw him on in the second half, thank feck Ole didn’t.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Despite the fact that i don't think that excuse "he needs time to adapt" should apply on players who cost dozens of millions and earn 100k-150k per month, i will give him time. But if he doesn't raise his game next season we should sell him. 50mill for a player who plays only in minor cup games is far too much.
But i still believe that he will be good player for us

Tony247

Ole is keeping him on bench just to keep up his valuation if we decide to sell him

Tony247

Manchester United midfielder Fred has revealed his frustration at Jose Mourinho after a lack of game-time cost him his place in the Brazil squad.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ed-annoyed-with-jose-mourinho-over-brazil-axe
Not defending jose but that is rich to say for fred. In wc he was in brazil squad and he was not even 3rd choice midfielder. That time it made me wonder if we made a mistake paying 50m for 4th 5th choice Brazilian when even their 1st choice were not doing great.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yet another bad signing from the Maureen

Shark

@NotShark
Hopefully if things continue this way, we can find a way to offload him sooner than we did Anderson.. jokes aside, things aren't looking promising at all, not sure what the hell the club were thinking approving the signing. What's he good at exactly?

moodyred

He is supposed to be good at breaking up an attack and moving the ball forward quickly. Unfortunately, right now, he is losing the ball way too often and misplacing his passes. EPL too fast pace for him?

Hopefully if things continue this way, we can find a way to offload him sooner than we did Anderson.. jokes aside, things aren't looking promising at all, not sure what the hell the club were thinking approving the signing. What's he good at exactly?
Thankfully he’s not as good at eating as Anderson.

Tony247

He is supposed to be good at breaking up an attack and moving the ball forward quickly. Unfortunately, right now, he is losing the ball way too often and misplacing his passes. EPL too fast pace for him?
All top teams in top leagues play pretty intensive football. EPL is more physical, yes, but not much more intensive than liga, seria etc. If his game is slow then he will not fit in any of the top teams in europe.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I still have hope he can come good for us. I can see both sides on yesterday but I'm further towards this:

dalot came on to play on as a defensive winger, Not sure what fred would have done there. Mata would have been the only other choice. Spurs went route 1. I dont think fred is very good, or atleast good for us, but the argument made makes no sense as other players attributes were needed. Poch took off winks and brought on llorente. There is no need for fred after that even if he was in the form of his life. we also brought on lukaku does that also need explaing as to why he came on instead of fred to play striker?
Dalot comes on for a specific role on the right, Lukaku is a striker and McTominay maybe gave us more height. Perhaps you could say having to treat a £50m signing with kid gloves is a failure in itself but I don't see Fred not coming on yesterday as a nail in his United coffin. I do think if he doesn't show us something soon, either in the PL, FA Cup or CL, he could be in big trouble here.

Jeffthered

He needs a Pre-season, and some 'proper' United people getting in his head to talk about standards and requirements expected from him, and his game. He will benefit from Ole and Phelan.

I hope that he can pick up and assist us this season though. Maybe unlikely, he seems a few yards short at the moment, and therefore cannot be trusted in most games. He has talent, so let's see how he develops next season. Would not write him off yet, others on here have made the good point of stating that many players find it difficult to adapt to Premiership Midfield roles, and some of them are British. Look at McTominay...

We need to him, to enable the management to give Pogba a break, and also, develop a non-Pogba team, because we should not be so reliant on him, every game.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Said it before but I'll say it again.... I think there's a decent player in there, but it might be a Depay situation where it comes out too late.
Either too late, or maybe the style of the EPL is just not suited to them. Think of Aspas etc.

But let's hope that he improves during his second season.

Foxbatt

Ando was very good earlier on. He went downhill all of a sudden later on. I think when CQ left both Ando and Nani started going downhill. It is almost impossible to get the ball off Ando. He was also very quick. He just could not shoot for his life. He had great vision too. I have found out that he has been involved in a lot of our important or famous goals. Not as an assist but the player who passed the ball to the player who made it the assist.

ChaddyP

I still have hope he can come good for us. I can see both sides on yesterday but I'm further towards this:

Dalot comes on for a specific role on the right, Lukaku is a striker and McTominay maybe gave us more height. Perhaps you could say having to treat a £50m signing with kid gloves is a failure in itself but I don't see Fred not coming on yesterday as a nail in his United coffin. I do think if he doesn't show us something soon, either in the PL, FA Cup or CL, he could be in big trouble here.
Totally agree

Lentwood

Nothing I have seen from Fred so far suggest he has the ability to play at United. Wants too many touches and gives it away too often.

That's not to say he won't improve but I can totally understand why Ole would be reluctant to use him when we're clinging on against Spurs

I think to answer the OPs question - it would appear our Scouting team recommended Fred to Ed Woodward. I honestly don't think Jose was involved at all and I'm well past the whole defending Jose debate

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think this is the core of the issue. He can tackle and he can hit a decent pass, but he gets his pocket picked way too often, and often in dangerous areas because he takes to long on the ball. Maybe he will come good as he gets used to the tempo, but it is always a risky move when you buy "superstars" from smaller leagues.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need to ask Mourinho. He just seemed to be desperate for a Brazillian. Everybody knew we didn't need a midfielder of his kind let alone quality.

Anyway, I will judge him next year. Still hoping he comes good.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We need to ask Mourinho. He just seemed to be desperate for a Brazillian. Everybody knew we didn't need a midfielder of his kind let alone quality.

Anyway, I will judge him next year. Still hoping he comes good.

Yuk! TMI

macheda14

I think this is the core of the issue. He can tackle and he can hit a decent pass, but he gets his pocket picked way too often, and often in dangerous areas because he takes to long on the ball. Maybe he will come good as he gets used to the tempo, but it is always a risky move when you buy "superstars" from smaller leagues.
But this is also the classic thing people have to adjust to. The famous one being Evra thinking to himself while he’s defending a corner vs City in his debut ‘this is too fast for me’. I’d actually like to see the stats (however you could chart it) of ‘star’ players from foreign leagues making an immediate impact vs those that take a season vs those that never do. (Or the rare one of immediate impact but quickly fading away)

Cockney Phil

There are moments when he looks a very good player but his lapses have shown he’s nowhere near the complete player. Seems better than the rest of the bench but not good enough to replace Ander.

meamth

Classic caf.

They trashed on Lindelof when he played like shit.

Now it's time for another. I'm not surprised.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
But this is also the classic thing people have to adjust to. The famous one being Evra thinking to himself while he’s defending a corner vs City in his debut ‘this is too fast for me’. I’d actually like to see the stats (however you could chart it) of ‘star’ players from foreign leagues making an immediate impact vs those that take a season vs those that never do. (Or the rare one of immediate impact but quickly fading away)
The likes of Ozil & Sanchez had great starts at Arsenal. Payet also at West Ham. Fabinho/Keita on the other hand have had rough starts.

Tony247

Problem is, if Fred is going to learn football while at Man Utd then it is unfair for academy players who could have been given that chance instead of him. With that kind of money and wages it is expected that player settles in fairly quickly and start giving returns on investment. Not like you spend $$ now and wait for 2 years to get returns. Had he cost us 20m like Dalot then no issue. But irony is, Dalot, a 19 yr old rookie is getting in team more regularly while Fred, 25 yr old, an experienced and expensive buy warming the bench.

Red14Devil9

He hasn't featured much under Ole, but I think that he is going to get more chances in the upcoming matches. I think that he is going to start against PSG in Champions League and Arsenal in FA Cup.

lex talionis

The case against Fred is clear, but we’ve got a manageable run of opponents coming up and Matic in particular could use some rest. I wouldn’t mind Ole giving him some starts against lower level clubs to see what he can do. Not just one, unless Fred drops a serious loaf, but 2 or 3 to try to find some rhythm.

Last edited:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Classic caf.

They trashed on Lindelof when he played like shit.

Now it's time for another. I'm not surprised.
I don't think he's being trashed here today, most people want him to do well but are worried about his future here given he's struggling for game time.

Tony247

The case against Fred is clear, but we’ve got a manageable run of opponents coming up and Matic in particular could use some rest. I wouldn’t mind Ole giving him some starts against lower level clubs to see what he can do. Not just one, unless Fred drops a serious load, but 2 or 3 to try to find some rhythm.
Agree. But this is catch-22 situation for Ole. Without giving him chance he will not improve, 100% agree, but if he gets a chance and does monumental feck up then at this stage when we are chasing 4th position and each point is life or death scenario then throwing him in EPL or CL would be a massive gamble. The one that Ole rightly avoided yesterday.

FA cup is only realistic chance for a trophy. Ole said himself. I doubt Ole will throw him in there too.

Tough time for the poor guy. Wrong man in wrong team at wrong time.