Why did we buy Fred?

SqueakyWeasel

He'll be given a chance, but only when Ole feels that it's right.

He's handled everything so impressively to date that it would take a fool to bet against him and his team to get a Manchester United player out of Fred if there's one in there!

If not, blood some youngsters and move on!

Alemar

This. Fred has been awful in possession. His passing accuracy has been terrible, especially in his defensive half. He’s unable to effectively link defence with the attack. Secondly, he hasn’t caught up to the speed at which midfielders are closed down by the opposition here in the Prem. Several times he’s lost possession by dithering on the ball. Will he improve? Maybe. But there is no way you can throw him onto the field against Liverpool, who are set up to take advantage of these weaknesses.

Pereira has been caught out in possession as well, but at least his passing is accurate. Ole had to make a choice between a bad and a worse option.

We need more depth.
Pereira was much more dreadful than Fred (apart from Liverpool game) both defensively and in attack

KennyBurner

Fred, Sanchez and Lukaku, what a mess to clear out.
This is not fair! We are writing Fred off way to early. The others have played a lot more games than him. For all we know he might start on Wednesday and impress. We all know the quality is there.

Ekeke

It guarantees that the player has quality though, even if it is not the highest quality. Both Sanchez and Fred, and also Jorginho, might have been decent at City, or even more than decent.
How? City have had howlers in the transfer market too.

Mangala was their expensive record CB signing in 14/15

Hes started 61 times for them since 2014

Hes currently back at City as far as im aware at 28 years old and never plays, making 0 appearances this season and available for free at the end of the season

I think he's comfortably the worst CB signing in the premier league given how much they spent on him and how poor he was and not having been able to get rid of him, so now he'll probably walk for free

So yeah every club makes mistakes in the transfer market, City being interested in a player absolutely does not tell you that its a quality player

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Fred, Sanchez and Lukaku, what a mess to clear out.
I personally wouldn't be looking to move Lukaku anywhere. He hasn't been a roaring success, but then he also isn't anywhere close to what we call 'deadwood' either.

shaky

We need to keep him. I doubt we can find a replacement with a one syllable name that rhymes with "bred".

Cloud7

Maybe he really is being groomed as the replacement for Fred the red next season.

Revan

Assumptionman
Does the coaching staff speak the language which Fred speaks? Far as I know he is still learning english, so does anyone of the staff speak his language? Can lack of communication be part of this dilemma?
I believe that from out other players, only Pereira speaks Brazilian. So, I guess he is the translator but he is deliberately translating things wrongly to Fred, just to play instead of him. Conspiracy solved.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I believe that from out other players, only Pereira speaks Brazilian. So, I guess he is the translator but he is deliberately translating things wrongly to Fred, just to play instead of him. Conspiracy solved.
.... you mean Portuguese right?

Revan

Assumptionman
This is not fair! We are writing Fred off way to early. The others have played a lot more games than him. For all we know he might start on Wednesday and impress. We all know the quality is there.
I don't, to be fair. Haven't seen anything from him to suggest that he can be more than a poor men's Herrera.

Just because Lindelof, Vidic and Evra turned out to be good after a struggling 6 months/1 year, not every player does it.

onemanarmy

Lukaku speaks Portuguese, at least a bit.

Revan

Assumptionman
I personally wouldn't be looking to move Lukaku anywhere. He hasn't been a roaring success, but then he also isn't anywhere close to what we call 'deadwood' either.
Problem is that he is a 50-60m asset, who earns 10m+ pounds per year. He should either start or be sold.

Litch

I don't, to be fair. Haven't seen anything from him to suggest that he can be more than a poor men's Herrera.

Just because Lindelof, Vidic and Evra turned out to be good after a struggling 6 months/1 year, not every player does it.
I hear you but given most are accessing players since Ole took over, We' ve not seen him consistently under this style of football. That said, it is concerning that a regular CL player isnt good enough to start in front of two relatively young players especially after Andreas previous performance....

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Been watching Fred highlights for inspiration.

What the feck is going on with him. Surely given a start this week.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I know the market is crazy with inflation, but 50 million is still good amount of money these days. What on earth did our scouts in him in order to justify that fee. Worse flop than Di Maria atm. Di Maria was at least already world class and just couldn't settle here or wasn't comitted to making it. Fred is a 50 million player who can't even get sniff in midfield against bottom teams while our regular starters are injured. Maybe like Anderson he's a great character in the dressing room.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treble

How? City have had howlers in the transfer market too.

Mangala was their expensive record CB signing in 14/15

Hes started 61 times for them since 2014

Hes currently back at City as far as im aware at 28 years old and never plays, making 0 appearances this season and available for free at the end of the season

I think he's comfortably the worst CB signing in the premier league given how much they spent on him and how poor he was and not having been able to get rid of him, so now he'll probably walk for free

So yeah every club makes mistakes in the transfer market, City being interested in a player absolutely does not tell you that its a quality player
We were talking about their signings after Guardiola's appointment, not before that. Guardiola himself was a top midfielder and if there is a manager out there who can evaluate a midfielder's qualities, it's him. Apparently, he wanted Fred in January (2018) and City made an offer. Fred might have problems with his adaptation to English football or something but I very much doubt that he is a nothing player.

el3mel

We were talking about their signings after Guardiola's appointment, not before that. Guardiola himself was a top midfielder and if there is a manager out there who can evaluate a midfielder's qualities, it's him. Apparently, he wanted Fred in January (2018) and City made an offer. Fred might have problems with his adaptation to English football or something but I very much doubt that he is a nothing player.
Then they decided he wasn't worth the money asked for him and backed off. It just proves they thought of him as a bench option at best and when his club asked for the price of a main player, it was the end of the negotiation.

Manchestrawi

When Perera came in Liverpool game the first thing he did was giving instructions to some players on the field how the formation is and what the manager wants from them (you can go and watch that), Fred cannot do that right now because of Language barrier.

Lets assume that Liverpool scored a goal on us, the whole tactic will be changed to attacking, while Fred in the field there is NO WAY to explain for him what he should do and what it is his role.

I have no doubts that he has quality, but it is not logic put all the pressure on him, a new country, new league, new team, new language with all the pressure on us getting into fourth position and add Liverpool GAME pressure on him, it is too much.

I believe he will play on tomorrow's game, the coaching staff have the time to explain and train him for his role. Lets hope he will perfom well.

Treble

Then they decided he wasn't worth the money asked for him and backed off. It just proves they thought of him as a bench option at best and when his club asked for the price of a main player, it was the end of the negotiation.
Bench option at best? What about at worst? A ball boy?

They made an offer in the excess of 40m. They must have thought that he wasn't bad and might help them. Is there any team out there that would offer 40m for McTominay or Pereira? Most certainly not. Fred is supposed to be better than them.

el3mel

Bench option at best? What about at worst? A ball boy?

They made an offer in the excess of 40m. They must have thought that he wasn't bad and might help them. Is there any team out there that would offer 40m for McTominay or Pereira? Most certainly not. Fred is supposed to be better than them.
Not as a starter or main player for them that's for sure. Otherwise they would have raised their offer and offered more money,easily. Money isn't a problem for them and they paid +50 and 60m for other players. They thought he wasn't worth the +50m asked for him considering he's not going to be a main player there and backed off.

Then we came and paid 50m for him to use him in only 15 matches in the season !

Simply put, if we paid 30m or something for him no one would have had any problems. It would have been money suitable for a squad option. City recognized that anything close to 50 will be overpaying for his abilities and supposed role and decided to back off from the deal.

Maybe he's not a bad player, but he's sure as hell not good enough for 50m and doesn't appear to be good enough for a main spot. He's also not young. Next month he'll be 26 so he's supposedly in his "prime".

Treble

Not as a starter or main player for them that's for sure. Otherwise they would have raised their offer and offered more money,easily. Money isn't a problem for them and they paid +50 and 60m for other players. They thought he wasn't worth the +50m asked for him considering he's not going to be a main player there and backed off.

Then we came and paid 50m for him to use him in only 15 matches in the season !

Simply put, if we paid 30m or something for him no one would have had any problems. It would have been money suitable for a squad option. City recognized that anything close to 50 will be overpaying for his abilities and supposed role and decided to back off from the deal.

Maybe he's not a bad player, but he's sure as hell not good enough for 50m and doesn't appear to be good enough for a main spot. He's also not young. Next month he'll be 26 so he's supposedly in his "prime".
Not much differences between us then. Maybe we did overpay for him. Let's hope that there is a decent squad player in him. Maybe he will get his chance soon.

Member 115509

He must at least have a chance of starting tomorow night against Palace though...........

Tiber

I'm not saying he has been good. But I'm not sure he has been historically awful either

Brightonian

Lukaku speaks Portuguese, at least a bit.
I reckon this should become the new 'Paul Scholes bet me he could hit a tree with the ball', or '___ is always the last to leave training'. Just languages that Lukaku can speak. Sinhali. Swahili. Amharic for sure.

Litch

I'm not saying he has been good. But I'm not sure he has been historically awful either
Not seen him under the new regime either and that has influenced our opinions on a number of players. Matic for example was having a stinker pre-Ole and in fairness, there weren't many that were good. That said, it's taking him a while to settle....

MetoTTT

Can we (fans) just give him time to settle, be patient and just see what he's capable of ffs?

Canagel

Can we (fans) just give him time to settle, be patient and just see what he's capable of ffs?
not on redcafe .you must settle immediately or youre labelled as "waste" , "deadwood" and to be moved on immediately . we also have to speculate on how awful he must be in training whilst we wait for further news.

ReddBalls

When Perera came in Liverpool game the first thing he did was giving instructions to some players on the field how the formation is and what the manager wants from them (you can go and watch that), Fred cannot do that right now because of Language barrier.

Lets assume that Liverpool scored a goal on us, the whole tactic will be changed to attacking, while Fred in the field there is NO WAY to explain for him what he should do and what it is his role.

I have no doubts that he has quality, but it is not logic put all the pressure on him, a new country, new league, new team, new language with all the pressure on us getting into fourth position and add Liverpool GAME pressure on him, it is too much.

I believe he will play on tomorrow's game, the coaching staff have the time to explain and train him for his role. Lets hope he will perfom well.
How dare you apply logic?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
McTominay
Fred Pogba
Pereira

Diamond is what I hope

OleTheGreat

sometimes players have a slump after the transfer and it gets difficult for them to get adjusted to the new ways. I think Fred can be amazing for us in the coming years. He just needs a little more time.

JMack1234

If Fred cannot get this team when we've lost Herrera and Matic then surely he's had it here and he'll be off in the summer if Ole gets the job.

ash_86

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is his name really Frederico Fred? Kept on coming up on one of the sites I use to follow the games whenever he touched the ball which amused me.:lol:

I assume it's one of his surnames and they just got it mixed up.