Why did we buy Fred?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Josep Dowling, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Apr 14, 2019

Thiagoal Full Member

I'm really not seeing what others are on here regarding Fred! Yes he has looked better but our midfield was so open today and lacked any semblance of control I don't see how anyone can think he played well! I can see him playing well with two cm's behind him but he'll never be our number 6 in my opinion
  2. Apr 14, 2019

Isotope Full Member

Supports:
    Ole Ole Ole
    At least he has some use now. Not a 50m worth use, but showing promise that maybe he will be worth it in the future.
  3. Apr 14, 2019

RedRoach Full Member

He has improved, but he still makes me nervous. We were punished against Wolves when he lost possession and almost again yesterday when the West Ham defender hit the post after dispossessing him.

There are promising signs, but he needs to get better at retaining the ball under pressure, which McTominay is so good at doing.
  4. Apr 14, 2019

SteveW Full Member

We replace McTomminay with Mata.

But its Fred's fault our midfield looks more open. :rolleyes:
  5. Apr 14, 2019

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It was a rubbish throw that put him under pressure. We know he’s not physically big or strong so we shouldn’t put him into those duels.
  6. Apr 14, 2019

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

He'll get used to the intensity of the PL as he gets more minutes. I mean, he was playing against a Portuguese midfeld, so it's not like the English game is an alien concept to the rest of the world. It just takes a bit of getting used to.
  7. Apr 14, 2019

IrishRedDevil Full Member

To show Herrera how to pass the ball forward.
  8. Apr 14, 2019

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

Fred has been one of our better performers in literally the last 5 games he has played. Think it was always evident that he wasn't going to prove anything until he got a steady run in the team, which he is now showing.
  9. Apr 14, 2019

AR87 Full Member

He's not capable of doing the defensive work by himself in a midfield two if Pogba goes for a walk
  10. Apr 14, 2019

Himannv Full Member

I just think you have to expect this sort of midfield performance when Pogba is part of a two man midfield. He's constantly out of position and further up the field and he does not bust a gut to get back either. The only one who would do well in this sort of situation is Roy Keane, and that's because he'd threaten Pogba with physical violence if he's not doing his job.
  11. Apr 14, 2019

deadrevelz New Member

Still not sure he can really excel in the PL. Seems to lack a yard of pace and not quite strong enough. Technically he's good enough though but maybe best as a squad player. Hope he proves me wrong. Played better than Matic, Herrera, Lingard and Mata anyway.
  12. Apr 14, 2019

Denis79 Full Member

You have to look at the situation he's put in. Last game he essentially played alone in midfield. This is not an attack on pogba because he's supposed to move further up and be the creative offensive player but because we played a 2 man midfield Fred was essentially left alone to do all the work and managed to get my MOTM. Think he did excellent vs West Ham considering the circumstances.
  13. Apr 14, 2019

Motorman Full Member

I think we should just give the lad time. I saw enough yesterday that warrants that
  14. Apr 14, 2019

Castia Full Member

He can be a decent player, I feel after a bad start and some very nervous performances he’s starting to get the confidence needed to put a run of games together.

It’s an old clique but I really do feel if Fred could get a solid pre season with plenty of play time he will be an important player next season.
  15. Apr 14, 2019

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

He's got an eye for a pass similar to Carrick when he threads one in to feet straight to the forwards, it's nice to see.

He was rightfully criticised early on in the season but he played well against PSG and Barça and now yesterday he was our best player IMO so there's something there to work with.
  16. Apr 14, 2019

SNes New Member

I agree mate, I thought he was the worst midfielder on the pitch yesterday.
  17. Apr 14, 2019

Greck Full Member

Those positive threaded passes from midfield under pressure have been a welcome addition. Some of the other midfielders would send it back when there's a hint of pressure around
  18. Apr 14, 2019

11101 Full Member

Fair enough v Wolves but that was a terrible throw yesterday. He was barely an option in the first place and then the throw bounced in front of him.
  19. Apr 14, 2019

acnumber9 Full Member

It has nothing to do with strength or how physically big he is. It’s because of his poor control. His first touch for a central midfielder is really poor.
  20. Apr 14, 2019

ice-bionic red Full Member

Just needs to play more. Sprays the ball better than everyone we got left and right apart from Pogba. He’s quicker than Herrera and Matic.
    He’s not in the holding role to be a defensive midfielder but more to start our attacks and keep the ball ticking over left to right.

He’s a bit lightweight which is a bit of a problem but more games and he’ll improve a lot more
  21. Apr 14, 2019

Andycoleno9 Full Member

Better option than Herrera or Matic. Moves a ball quicker and he is quicker than those two. I like what i see now
  22. Apr 14, 2019

settembrini Full Member

We weren't open against West Ham because of Fred, or even Pogba, both players did a good defensive job in the middle of the pitch.

Our defensive weakness was out wide, particularly our full backs. We let West Ham get into great crossing positions time and time again. Their goal came from a cross, their disallowed goal came from a cross, the chance that forced De Gea's wonder save came from a cross. Don't see how anyone can have watched that game and think it was our central midfielders that were the problem.
  23. Apr 14, 2019

AR87 Full Member

I don't know if it was "because of them", but a 3rd CM like Scott would have given us more defensive cover even on the flanks because he's disciplined about getting back and giving FBs cover rather than allowing them to get covered up. That said, I'm assuming Ole took the gamble that we could dominate possession at home against West Ham and that wouldn't be such an issue, but our sloppiness yesterday nearly proved very costly.
  24. Apr 14, 2019

Mr PG New Member

Ole was a bit careless with his changes. Seriously why rest Scott (especially with Herrera and Matic missing , a young player against a very physical west ham because of Barcelona, a game we’re very unlikely to win anyway.

Our priority should be top 4 and losing against west ham would have been a disaster especially with city and Chelsea coming up.
  25. Apr 14, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    Has been a lot better recently. Signing seems similar to Mkhitaryan. Seems to be the mental part and consistency, but he can still turn it around. You can do it Fred!
  26. Apr 14, 2019

settembrini Full Member

Fair points. I would prefer United play with 3 CMs anyway as long as 2 of them are given freedom to attack like how we played against Barcelona.
  27. Apr 14, 2019

Toad Full Member

McTominay and Fred compliment each other pretty well. Although I think McTominay could play with anyone whereas Fred needs someone specific. He has improve a bit in his last couple of appearances but not as much as some are making out. He still isn’t good enough to be a starter for a epl/cal winning team.
  28. Apr 14, 2019

MetoTTT New Member

OGS got it wrong yesterday. McT was needed as a 3rd true midfielder. Fred and Pogba were the best United outfield players on the pitch.
  29. Apr 14, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

Some encouraging words from the manager.
  30. Apr 14, 2019

Red_Beans Full Member

Ole always says the right things about the players. You can see why they love him.

We as football fans need to be more patient with players. Not everyone hits the ground running. I think midfielders find it especially hard to come to terms with the PL. I like Fred. His skillset is quite unique when it comes to our other midfield options and I hope he can kick on next season
  31. Apr 14, 2019

Jesus christ.
  32. Apr 14, 2019

SNes New Member

Who was he better than? West Ham's three midfielders dominated our midfield.
  33. Apr 14, 2019

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

”Dominated with 42% possession, now there’s some hyperbole.

Personally thought Fred & Pogba we two of very fee United players to do well yesterday. I don’t personally see that any of our major problems lie in midfield.
  34. Apr 14, 2019

Well Pogba was crap aside from the goals and Mata was even worse (his legs completely gone). West Ham's center midfield were better but the only one better than Fred individually was Declan Rice
  35. Apr 14, 2019

RedorDead21 Full Member

Says good things about Young as well.......Fred is handing out a gift a game it seems.....he'd have to be playing world class to justify that if he doesn't sort that out. I'm not convinced at all.
  36. Apr 14, 2019

RedorDead21 Full Member

Really, our midfield has zero control of games. Nothing new there. We have major holes to fix first but our midfield is as average as our attack.
  37. Apr 14, 2019

El Zoido Full Member

Still not sold on him. I want to love him but he terrifies me every time he receives the ball in our own half. You can’t play in his position and be so loose in possession, it’s cost us goals on more than one occasion this season and will continue to do so.
  38. Apr 14, 2019

LJJT Full Member

I agree to an extent I think the core qualities of him he has shhowed last few games proves there’s a good player there, he needs to sharpen up a fair bit relieving the ball and moving it on, I think that will come with more match sharpness playing more games. I’d like him to play every week now in Matic place
  39. Apr 14, 2019

WR10 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Him and pogba know each other very well. In attack and possession they seem to know where each other is around ever corner.

Play them two with mata you’re going to have a west ham team run right through you.

Play them two with mctominay and you nullify a Barcelona midfield.

It’s absurd to blame any individual for overall tactics
  40. Apr 14, 2019

AR87 Full Member

It is worth persisting through these errors because he adds so much more dynamism and speed to our build up. Obviously he needs to iron out his errors, but we also need to just give him a run in the team to allow him to do so. There's no upside to playing Matic over him short-term or for the future.