Why did we buy Fred?

Amerifan

Guys, cut him some slack! When Monique Salum married Fred she took his last name, and he’s too exhausted from fighting to get her name change forms through the system with a blank last name for him to be able to concentrate on football.

Alabaster Codify7

Sorry about not being a 'true fan.' I will try to be a better fan. With hard work, perseverance and becoming more woke, I believe this is possible
You seem to struggle with it mate. I'm the opposite of a true fan. I live in Wales. I don't attend games. I don't contribute money. So yeah,my opinion doesn't really count I accept that.

But I do understand basic business and use of media to manipulate people.

ekestubbe

If I remember correctly, McKenna was the one who pushed for him.

He's not a terrible player. But something must be wrong backstage. Perhaps he's shagged Moyes daughter as well.
Does Ole have a daughter? Or a son for that matter.

SaintMuppet

We was getting nowhere.....

Right said Fred let’s have another cup of tea...

Clearly he is Ole’s Anderson

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
One of the most baffling signings in the history of Man Utd. I'd love him to prove me wrong but Fred looks like a midtable player. We spent £50m on him, at a time when we could've simply renewed Ander's contract. That makes him even worse value.

I would adore it if he proved me wrong. Fred coming into this team and proving himself capable of anchoring our midfield and playing the passes would be beautiful. I'd love him to make me look a mug. I just haven't seen any evidence he will. Every time he's under pressure he looks liable to give the ball away. Lightweight.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
We'd be a far better team with him in the side. Fred and Mctomminay behind Pogba would work well.

Malicecooper

Because woodward cannot land the big boys so we had to compromise and Fred was there with an offer no club would have refused. Woodward is the reason he is there ultimately as it has been since SAF left. I am not sure any Utd manager has actually landed their first choice since Sir Fergie retired. Maybe except for Martial who should be sold on quickly, but whilst he and woodward are having a love affair it probably won't happen.

Malicecooper

Having said that, he has not really been given an opportunity. Maybe him sitting deep and have Pogba supporting the forwards would be i nice mix.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Ole said he’s behind Matic, so i assume we need one more midfielder to get injured before we’re allowed to see him.

Tony247

Where the heck is Fred? Is he injured? I don't believe he is still training and not yet ready even for 20 mins.

And if Ole rates Perriera and Mata better than Fred then I am speechless.

redshaw

Want to see him back soon as. I don't particularly rate him but christ on a bike he should do better than Pereira.

Tony247

This guy. WTF man WTF. 52m and can't even get one fecking pass right!

Looks like he wants to leave the club asap. Who will buy this crap?

Prodigy24

I've defended him many times but after all I've seen, and especially today, I can't for the life of me understand how the club payed over £50 million for him. So wasteful and erratic in his passing.

Tony247

I've defended him many times but after all I've seen, and especially today, I can't for the life of me understand how the club payed over £50 million for him. So wasteful and erratic in his passing.
Total bonkers. I joined the match at about 50 mins mark and first thing I saw this man pass the ball out of the field and commentator said that was his one of many today!! Next 40 minutes were like watching a zombie. Feck.

KrasHammerhand

That was a horrific performance. I lost count of the number of errant passes, defensive lapses and his tackle in the box of De Wit was a penalty.

he should not be run out there any more

Scotty McT

He's Brazilian so I assumed he'd eventually have weight issues. I just didn't know it was the weight of his fecking passes. Woeful player. Our scouts have a lot of explaining to do for the amount of crap they've filled the squad with.

Betson

He fits in very well with the current day Utd player in that he is very average at best. But that is where we are right now.

redshaw

Apparently not!
Yep.

He's had some good games, against Barca last season but he's been illusive for the first team since he arrived, I want him back and completely onboard. He and the management at United have done poorly but I wouldn't have bought him and don't rate him, it's more looking around the dross to salvage something. I think he can become half decent for some of the season but it's probably beyond the club right now to get players in line.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’ve been trying to defend him but he’s just not good enough. I seriously can’t see him making it here. We will be lucky enough if there is a club willing to pay half of the fees that we paid. He lacks of composure, no ability to hold the ball & no ball retention to keep the ball while under pressure.

Let’s compare him to McTomminay. McTomminay might not a forward pass type of midfielder or a playmaker but he has the composure & ability to hold the ball when under pressure. Fred will cost us conceded goal with his erratic playing style.

The main reason Fred did well against PSG away & Barcelona home because of he’s a fluid & likes to press his opposition players non stop but that alone isn’t good enough, we might should just play Pereira or even the teenager Garner who also can press and they are still young, have higher ceiling of potential & cost free.

Next summer, we have to move on from him and sign a replacement as a 3rd or 2nd choice midfielder. Promote Mensah & Garner as 4th & 5th choice.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
And everyone wants Olé to get the sack? He has few choices including depending on players like Fred to play with.

I suspect Pep would struggle too.

hn4manunited

Not here to dis' or praise Fred. I certainly think we overpaid for him. Do we have the answer to the OP's question = Why Did We Buy Fred?
Fred was Ed’s answer to Jose asking for Willian. Ed must be thinking, Jose asked for a brazilian, Fred will probably do.

Eric's Seagull

And everyone wants Olé to get the sack? He has few choices including depending on players like Fred to play with.

I suspect Pep would struggle too.
Not all of us want Ole to get the sack and I completely agree with the part in bold. I don't think Woodward gave Ole the necessary backing so he has to persist with Fred.