g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Why did we buy Fred?

Red Stone

For banters, why would anyone pay 52m for this absolutely shit footballer?
Woodward signed a shite Brazilian midget, the complete antithesis of a Mourinho footballer, just to WUM José.

I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out to be true.

Josep Dowling

At Shakhtar he was the linchpin, he used to collect the ball from defenders from the deep and make his runs, whereas at United our defenders do that and our midfielders role is to pass the ball as soon as they collect them and then make spaces through their runs... it will be an understatement to say it is not working both Fred and Pogba, mainly because Fred is not what Pogba requires from his support midfielder, that's why they hardly play together. I hope both of them are sold, as Pogba seems like he doesn't have his heart with the team and Fred is not answer to how we want to play under current management.
That’s right, selling Pogba will make all our problems go away. I think we need to replace him with one of our inferior youth players, um... let me guess... Garner, the next Roy Keane with the passing ability of Scholes. I am doing it right?

I admire the positively but he’s rubbish and another failure of a signing.
Neville made a great point last week saying when you pay £50 million for a player you expect him to slot into the team straightaway. He wouldn’t slot into a championship team challenging to get promoted.
This was a common theme from the Mourinho reign and why we have been left behind by so many clubs. If you make an investment of over £30m they should be able to fit straight into the squad. Bailly, Lindelof, Micky, Fred - not a single one of these came straight in and made the difference. Soon after that we had Sanchez, Lukaku and Matic tail off very quickly. Many are quick to attack LVG’s transfers but Jose had a shocker in the transfer market as well.

fps

He would need to earn it. Yesterday he looked atrocious with uncontrolled passing and constantly losing the ball. Why would we want to throw away points or opportunities to earn points by giving him a run of games? If he is shit now, all we will get out of him is more and more shit.
Believe, me, I agree with what you're saying. However, I feel more than a year after arriving he's played so little he is still prone to simple nerves of not being used to his new surroundings and team mates.

Fosu-Mens

His issues as a player, as been stated many times before, are not related to time to settle in or lack of game time. He does not have the consistency on the ball, either it be when receiving or passing, to play in a highly intensive league.

Litch

Fred might be everything that people say he is but like I've said already, if the rest of the players were firing and there was a drop off when he came on, fine. Only player that can hold his head up at mo is Scott. Also there's been players here a decade, players that were here since the age of 9 years old and others that have played in the prem for years winning trophies, what's their excuse. He might be the worst signing ever but there were others that signed when the team had the best manager in the world, and 60% of the team was world class. This isn't the situation. Let's not turn Fred into Felliani and Rom as yes they have gone, and this is worse than when they were here.

MrSingh2002

I think he was bought to be a two touch footballer signed to be a catalyst in midfield to speed up play with forward passing.

I was happy with the signing at the time and although he wasn't going to pull up any trees he was a combative midfielder who can get about the pitch and would be the number 8 to play behind Pogba.

Jose never really got a chance to play Matic, Fred and Pogba together in a run of games and when Jose's motivation dropped during the 3rd seasons pre season because Ed didn't get him Maguire/Alderweireld or Perisic, it was never going to be.

Fred's been caught in the middle of that and I feel for him because there's a good footballer in there. He now has to play for a clueless manager in what was supposed to be his improved second season with us. I hope Ole is pulled before Fred is and we see the best of him under another manager with him playing as a number 8 with McTominay as the 6 and Pogba as a number 10 in a 3 man midfield. It's the best option we have at the moment and has been all season but Ole's too much of a dummy to see it.

fps

I think he was bought to be a two touch footballer signed to be a catalyst in midfield to speed up play with forward passing.

I was happy with the signing at the time and although he wasn't going to pull up any trees he was a combative midfielder who can get about the pitch and would be the number 8 to play behind Pogba.

Jose never really got a chance to play Matic, Fred and Pogba together in a run of games and when Jose's motivation dropped during the 3rd seasons pre season because Ed didn't get him Maguire/Alderweireld or Perisic, it was never going to be.

Fred's been caught in the middlw of that and I feel for him because there's a good footballer in there. He now has to play for a clueless manager in what was supposed to be his improved second season with us. I hope Ole is pulled before Fred is and we see the best of him under another manager with him playing as a number 8 with McTominay as the 6 and Pogba as a number 10 in a 3 man midfield. It's the best option we have at the moment and has been all season but Ole's too much of a dummy to see it.
Yes, and he arrived as a very raw player who clearly needs a good manager to simplify things for him on the pitch - clear system, clear instructions. Give him those and he clearly runs like a labrador.

MrSingh2002

Yes, and he arrived as a very raw player who clearly needs a good manager to simplify things for him on the pitch - clear system, clear instructions. Give him those and he clearly runs like a labrador.
Yep. Never mind the fact he could be having difficulties with the language. He needs to be shown faith to play and settle into familiar surroundings. Or we can chop and change him how Ole currently is, but 44% of people know how that will end for Ole.

It amuses me the posters blaming the managers and the players around him - it’s occam’s razor, he’s shit, and it’s simply because he was never good enough.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It amuses me the posters blaming the managers and the players around him - it’s occam’s razor, he’s shit, and it’s simply because he was never good enough.
Yup. Yet another awful big money signing made over the last 7 years or so.

Litch

We all knows Pogs is an generational player but would you make that assessment based on his time here? Not sure why we would base our opinions of a player here, one of the worse periods in how PL history and disregard their ability before they got here? Maybe it's on us and not on them eh? Early days but Harry already looks like a better player in a Leicester shirt than in a Utd one. Where's the player who carried the ball forward into midfield....?

We all knows Pogs is an generational player but would you make that assessment based on his time here? Not sure why we would base our opinions of a player here, one of the worse periods in how PL history and disregard their ability before they got here? Maybe it's on us and not on them eh?
Pogba is inconsistent and his attitude has been questionable at times, but it’s clear he has talent and has shown it time and time again.

Fred has done absoubtly nothing. He can my even do the simplest of things, and looks like an overawed teenager, yet he’s 26.

Great piece of business from Shaktar - no wonder no one has law in a decent league would go near him. Appalling. Can’t in any way compare him to Pogba.

Nikelesh Reddy

I mean seriously we must be the only club that would pay £50m for a player then he can’t even make the first 11. Especially when the likes of Fellaini and McTominay are preferred options.

Why did we buy him if he isn’t good enough to come straight into the first 11? If he’s not settling quickly surely we should be assessing this stuff as part of the scouting?

This is part of the problem, we keep buying players that should improve the first 11 but almost immediately revert back to players who haven’t been up to the mark, hence why we are trying to replace them.

The same thing happened with Mkhitaryan, Bailly and Lindelof.
Because Man City wanted him....We probably bought Sanchez for the same reason.,,.If Pep And City Are interested,then he must be great....I guess this was the line of thinking behind the purchase of Fred....

Litch

Pogba is inconsistent and his attitude has been questionable at times, but it’s clear he has talent and has shown it time and time again.

Fred has done absoubtly nothing. He can my even do the simplest of things, and looks like an overawed teenager, yet he’s 26.

Great piece of business from Shaktar - no wonder no one has law in a decent league would go near him. Appalling. Can’t in any way compare him to Pogba.
That wasn't my question. He doesn't look anything like the generational player we thought we bought. He worse here that at Juve and for France. My point is how long can we just simply apportion the blame on players not being good enough when they were better before they got here. My point is all the signings we have made since SAF are worse once they got here, every single one. Too simple to say it's on players and this is the problem. Simply signing players aren't the option as irrespective of their ability, they turn to shit here. Early days but Harry doesn't look like the same player at Leicester. I wonder how long before people will be saying the same as Leicester doing a great bit of business. Fans are already even questioning the ability of the young players....

Litch

Because Man City wanted him....We probably bought Sanchez for the same reason.,,.If Pep And City Are interested,then he must be great....I guess this was the line of thinking behind the purchase of Fred....
City have bought a lot of players that they wanted, why weren't we linked or bought them then? I wish we did as that would still be a better transfer strategy than the current one. I'd take those two flops against the others we could have bought based on simple because City wanted them and then bought them....

Nikelesh Reddy

City have bought a lot of players that they wanted, why weren't we linked or bought them then? I wish we did as that would still be a better transfer strategy than the current one. I'd take those two flops against the others we could have bought based on simple because City wanted them and then bought them....
Honestly,is Fred really this bad a player or has his confidence been shot down to pieces at United?Fred was very highly rated before he joined a United....It’s no secret that Guardiola see him as a successor to Fernandinho...Its just infuriating to see highly rated,potentially “world class” signings flopping hopelessly at United....

Honestly,is Fred really this bad a player or has his confidence been shot down to pieces at United?Fred was very highly rated before he joined a United....It’s no secret that Guardiola see him as a successor to Fernandinho...Its just infuriating to see highly rated,potentially “world class” signings flopping hopelessly at United....
Fred was never been, and will never be potentially world class. I also don’t believe he was highly rated - just a case of the media getting a ‘link’ to him and milking it. We have seen dozens of players linked with Utd from poor leagues that have gone on to be nothing players, just a shame we bit and got monumentally screwed.

Fred plays at his level, he hasn’t underachieved, just a shame his level isn't good enough for any club in the PL. he was never good enough.

Litch

I have no idea but what I do know is it's not all about poor recruitment. It's like all your relationships failing and continuing blaming the other people. Like I said previously, how many players for Liverpool would Utd have questioned if we signed them? It not just recruitment, it's about making players better including the ones that were already here. Ole might have got rid of the deadwood and you can put Fred now on that list, good managers would have improved some of those saving the money to then buy what you need. Not rocket science......

Djemba-Djemba

His level of care with the ball is appalling.

He just gives it away constantly with shitty sloppy lazy passes. Twice on Thursday in about 2 minutes he just passed the ball straight out of play without bothering to look up and see where it was going.

He's been a disaster.

Litch

Fred was never been, and will never be potentially world class. I also don’t believe he was highly rated - just a case of the media getting a ‘link’ to him and milking it. We have seen dozens of players linked with Utd from poor leagues that have gone on to be nothing players, just a shame we bit and got monumentally screwed.

Fred plays at his level, he hasn’t underachieved, just a shame his level isn't good enough for any club in the PL. he was never good enough.
Who's currently playing a decent level or lived up to their potential consistently since SAF?

dev1l

That wasn't my question. He doesn't look anything like the generational player we thought we bought. He worse here that at Juve and for France. My point is how long can we just simply apportion the blame on players not being good enough when they were better before they got here. My point is all the signings we have made since SAF are worse once they got here, every single one. Too simple to say it's on players and this is the problem. Simply signing players aren't the option as irrespective of their ability, they turn to shit here. Early days but Harry doesn't look like the same player at Leicester. I wonder how long before people will be saying the same as Leicester doing a great bit of business. Fans are already even questioning the ability of the young players....
Re Harry. He s playing at a bigger club with more pressure. But if you look at our defence, it has definitely improved from last season and I think part of this improvement is due to Harry s presence

Litch

Re Harry. He s playing at a bigger club with more pressure. But if you look at our defence, it has definitely improved from last season and I think part of this improvement is due to Harry s presence
I hear you and it is early days but I've already seeing less of him stepping into midfield and creating options especially when you think how deep people are defending against us. My point is generally when we sign players, they seem to go backwards and fans turn on them. For me Fred et al may well be not good enough but who has been? Like I said, all those Liverpool and City signings went there with generally the same potential or less. This isn't about recruitment, it's about developing players to be better.....

PoTMS

I can't even see the semblance of a good midfielder in him. He's average at best and wouldn't immediately start at any other PL club.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
There HAS to be more to his game than what we have seen so far, he wouldn't have made the Brazil world cup squad if he genuinely was that bad. Our scouts would have seen him on numerous occasions, and they would not have recommended him he was total rubbish. I admit that apart from a couple of matches where he has looked ok, he has been very poor, and his passing was not good on Thursday, but he did play mostly on the right of midfield, where I think he is better on the left. We have an option of playing Fred, Matic, Pereira, or Garner in a midfield two (unless Ole goes with a DM in Tuanzebe or Lindelof), ideally Garner is the best option, but it would put a hell of a burden on his young shoulders, and as we have no semblance of a settled, stable team I think it would detrimental to his development if we stuck him straight in. My preference would be Fred, as he would give us more pace, better covering, and a more dynamic outlook, I could put up with a few misplaced passes if he gave us some stability in there. Pereira I would play at 10, to see if that position gives him the platform to perform, and to see how good, or not, he is. Matic I think has gone, and would add nothing to this team, personally I would ship him out in January. Garner would get a few minutes at the end of some matches, but would give him a full run out in one of the Europa League matches.

Mark Pawelek

Fred was very highly rated before he joined a United....
Who by? On what evidence?
It’s no secret that Guardiola see him as a successor to Fernandinho...
So why didn't Guardiola buy him?
Its just infuriating to see highly rated,potentially “world class” signings flopping hopelessly at United....
Name me his world class performances? Dates. Fixtures.

I think Fred's agents did a fabulous job of promoting him far above his ability. "World class" indeed!!

Cathy Ferguson

I guess we wanted a dynamic player with good technique and the ability to carry the ball forward and go past players. A bit like Fernandinho. Well, that did not work out. Matic is also not good enough but at least we got 18 months out of him. Not replacing at least one of Herrera and Fellaini was just plain stupid.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

There HAS to be more to his game than what we have seen so far, he wouldn't have made the Brazil world cup squad if he genuinely was that bad. Our scouts would have seen him on numerous occasions, and they would not have recommended him he was total rubbish. I admit that apart from a couple of matches where he has looked ok, he has been very poor, and his passing was not good on Thursday, but he did play mostly on the right of midfield, where I think he is better on the left. We have an option of playing Fred, Matic, Pereira, or Garner in a midfield two (unless Ole goes with a DM in Tuanzebe or Lindelof), ideally Garner is the best option, but it would put a hell of a burden on his young shoulders, and as we have no semblance of a settled, stable team I think it would detrimental to his development if we stuck him straight in. My preference would be Fred, as he would give us more pace, better covering, and a more dynamic outlook, I could put up with a few misplaced passes if he gave us some stability in there. Pereira I would play at 10, to see if that position gives him the platform to perform, and to see how good, or not, he is. Matic I think has gone, and would add nothing to this team, personally I would ship him out in January. Garner would get a few minutes at the end of some matches, but would give him a full run out in one of the Europa League matches.
You would also have to put up with the numerous times per-game he leaves his position and gets drawn to the ball high on the pitch, while Pogba jogs back to the defence, which results to the opposition getting runners on the ball in between the lines against a back-peddling back-four.

Running and covering lots of ground (without purpose) doesn't bring stability in the midfield. Tactical discipline and the good reading of the game does. That's why an immobile Matic is deemed by the manager a safer option than Fred. That's why Carrick in his prime was an automatic pick for Ferguson. That's also why Ferguson was content with an average Cleverley in the midfield when he could rotate Giggs and Scholes beside him. Flair players come up with their moments of flair when the others work hard to provide a solid platform for them. Not when they're running up and down the pitch aimlessly.

Let us call him what he is, a waste of 50 million, and let's not turn him into another player who could be useful if this or that happened. We already have plenty of those in our squad.

Ziggy Starduster

Is this the first league match both Fred and McTominay have started together?
This combo looked promising at the end of last season, if memory serves correctly.

Crashoutcassius

Who by? On what evidence?
So why didn't Guardiola buy him?
Name me his world class performances? Dates. Fixtures.

I think Fred's agents did a fabulous job of promoting him far above his ability. "World class" indeed!!
The champions league group games that year. Asking fans why pep didn't buy him is the most boring question you could possibly ask, why not ask a non rhetorical question which a fan can reasonably answer to continue the debate

Martialfc

Gonna go out there and say he is our worst ever signing. What is he good at ?