Why do we need another CB?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
FIRST CHOICE
============
Victor Lindelof
:
Had an excellent World Cup, he seems to have overcome his confidence issues. I like his positioning and his tackling, and he can play the ball out from the back, too. He had a shaky first few appearances last season, but it looks quite obvious that he has improved over time.
Eric Bailly:
Our best CB, IMO. Needs to stay injury free. Great tackling, great in the air, great on the ball. If he were playing for someone else, we'd be paying more for him than Alderweireld/Maguire.
Chris Smalling:
Best header of the ball we have, strong and experienced. He is not great in possession, agreed. But he is still very good, and can play if we choose to go three at the back or if Lindelof/Bailly are unavailable.

BACKUP
========
Phil Jones

Has the odd moment, and is perennially unfit, but can step up when we need a job done. Experienced, strong, can head well, and one of the faster CBs we have. Gives it all, good backup.
Marcos Rojo
Inconsistent, in the sense that despite having a brainfart in him every other game, he occasionally comes up with a strong dazzling display. Not bad for a backup, however. Great mentality.
Axel Tuanzebe
Full of promise, can get minutes every now and then.

We have six CBs in the club, 2 of them Mourinho signings. Why on earth do we need another CB so urgently instead of letting them bed in/battle it out? I just don't get it. What does Maguire bring to the squad that Bailly/Lindelof/Smalling do not?

Tarrou

I guess we're planning on playing three at the back more and Maguire would suit that

cloyton

FIRST CHOICE
============
Victor Lindelof
:
Had an excellent World Cup, he seems to have overcome his confidence issues. I like his positioning and his tackling, and he can play the ball out from the back, too. He had a shaky first few appearances last season, but it looks quite obvious that he has improved over time.
Eric Bailly:
Our best CB, IMO. Needs to stay injury free. Great tackling, great in the air, great on the ball. If he were playing for someone else, we'd be paying more for him than Alderweireld/Maguire.
Chris Smalling:
Best header of the ball we have, strong and experienced. He is not great in possession, agreed. But he is still very good, and can play if we choose to go three at the back or if Lindelof/Bailly are unavailable.

BACKUP
========
Phil Jones

Has the odd moment, and is perennially unfit, but can step up when we need a job done. Experienced, strong, can head well, and one of the faster CBs we have. Gives it all, good backup.
Marcos Rojo
Inconsistent, in the sense that despite having a brainfart in him every other game, he occasionally comes up with a strong dazzling display. Not bad for a backup, however. Great mentality.
Axel Tuanzebe

We have six CBs in the club, 2 of them Mourinho signings. Why on earth do we need another CB so urgently instead of letting them bed in/battle it out? I just don't get it. What does Maguire bring to the squad that Bailly/Lindelof/Smalling do not?

Other than Lindelof our entire CB options cant pass a ball. We need a ball carrying one to allow our midfield more space.

Also that being said, I dont want another year with Smalling and Jones stinking up the place. Just one of them to leave please.

fallengt

Our CBs either side way/backward passer or liability in defense.

renatosanches85

Going out on a limb here so stay with me but I’m gonna say it’s because the ones we have are shit?

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Bailly gets injured too much, Lindelof is still a rookie and Smalling is a shit defender these days, Jones makes questionable decisions, Rojo is hit and miss and Tuanzebe is a rookie.

99withaflake

We won’t compete for the league starting with Smalling, Jones or Rojo every week. That’s fairly obvious.

Bailly is good but often injured, Lindelof didn’t progress last season and however promising Tuanzebe is, it’s a massive gamble to be starting him at CB every game.

We need someone who is an upgrade on most of our choices, is consistent and reliable, and who may improve even further, hence the Maguire interest.

Someone said above that the players you listed are shit. That’s harsh. I’d say they’re either average or unreliable. We need changes in this area.

settembrini

Because Mourinho doesn't think much of either of the two he's already bought.

Ekeke

Bailly great in the air? Best CB? Buying him if he was at another club? Cant agree with any of that. I dont believe he'd even get a mention based on his form last season and his injury record.

Lindelof at this current time looks like the one who should get a shot next to Smalling and see how he does.

renatosanches85

We won’t compete for the league starting with Smalling, Jones or Rojo every week. That’s fairly obvious.

Bailly is good but often injured, Lindelof didn’t progress last season and however promising Tuanzebe is, it’s a massive gamble to be starting him at CB every game.

We need someone who is an upgrade on most of our choices, is consistent and reliable, and who may improve even further, hence the Maguire interest.

Someone said above that the players you listed are shit. That’s harsh. I’d say they’re either average or unreliable. We need changes in this area.
Maybe in the greater scheme of things I was harsh, but for a club like UTD these players are not nearly good enough to be challenging for titles. Lindelof needs a loan, to say a Wolves, Jones Smalling and Rojo need selling, Tuanzebe needs another loan. Bailly has potential if he is alongside an alderweireld or Varane but if he’s learning of Smalling and Jones I fear for him.

99withaflake

Maybe in the greater scheme of things I was harsh, but for a club like UTD these players are not nearly good enough to be challenging for titles. Lindelof needs a loan, to say a Wolves, Jones Smalling and Rojo need selling, Tuanzebe needs another loan. Bailly has potential if he is alongside an alderweireld or Varane but if he’s learning of Smalling and Jones I fear for him.
Oh I agree. Decent by Premier League standards, but shit by title challenging, United standards.

MrBest

If Mina is available I would take him. Smalling rojo and Jones do not fill me confidence at all. Lindeloff had a great WC and I'm hoping will be better and will Bailey ever play more than 10 games in a row?

The whole team is poor and lacking in serious quality. Combination of moyes gaal and Jose ruined our foundation.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Its good thing to have players, it's better to keep upgrading them.

Jones and Rojo are bang average.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Bailly is very poor in the air. His last ditch tackles are impressive, and he's a great defender when the ball is on the ground, but despite having an incredible leap, he's terrible at using it. Currently Lindelof is better in the air than Bailly, and he's not great either. I like Bailly's confidence with the ball at his feet, although he's not a great passer but he's good at evading the press and giving himself a yard or two to then pass or clear.

Still, I doubt we'd be paying more for Bailly than Toby/Maguire if he played for someone else, considering he's had a season to forget where he was either injured or having a total mare. He needs to shed this cloak of invincibility he seems to have. He still has so much to prove and a lot to improve on (you simply cannot be a top class CB if you're that poor in the air!), yet he's already regarded as some world class player it seems.

Ditching Rojo and Jones and bringing in someone better and more reliable would be a wise investment. If it's Maguire, then having Maguire, Smalling, Bailly and Lindelof as the first choice pool of centre backs would be pretty decent. I kind of like Rojo, but he can't be relied on. Seems to be fit 50% of the time, even before the ACL injury. Same goes for Jones, but I like him less. He is by far the most brainless defender we have, and by far the most unreliable.

That said, if it's CB or full backs, I'd rather we got at least one full back over a centre back. With Valencia and Dalot injured, the thought of Darmian starting the season is quite deflating. There is nothing that guy is actually good at. The Tom Cleverley of full backs. The other flank isn't much better either.

cyril C

FIRST CHOICE
============
Victor Lindelof
:
Eric Bailly:
Chris Smalling:

BACKUP
========
Phil Jones

Marcos Rojo
Axel Tuanzebe

You have answered it yourself. Our best CB Bailly, was not used/trusted by Mourinho last season. Another best CB Lindelof, is still on a "seem to be" status, or 3rd best CB Smalling, was not even selected by Southgate as backup. Which means while we have 6 CB on paper, none are reliable (or trusted) as DDG, Matic or Lukaku. We don't need 6 backup CB, we need 2 very reliable CB, plus 3-4 backup.

Minkaro

I guess we're planning on playing three at the back more and Maguire would suit that
That's my thinking as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I've not seen the games (just seen the line-ups), but haven't we played a 3-5-2 in our last two friendlies? Possibly because Jose has realised that all of our attacking options are probably better more centrally.

So I think we're building towards the 3-5-2 (or maybe a 4-4-2 diamond, but we've had a billion threads on that already).

De Gea
Lindelof Bailly/Smalling/Jones Maguire
Valencia Fred Matic Pogba Young
Lukaku Sanchez
Just for the sake of argument (you can say Shaw > Young or whatever). Maguire comes in there to replace Rojo, who would probably be the left-sided CB in that situation. Lindelof obviously right because he's our best passing CB, and then there's arguments for and against any of those middle three.

Mind you, looking at that, there's also big question marks over those wingbacks, imo.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That's my thinking as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I've not seen the games (just seen the line-ups), but haven't we played a 3-5-2 in our last two friendlies? Possibly because Jose has realised that all of our attacking options are probably better more centrally.

So I think we're building towards the 3-5-2 (or maybe a 4-4-2 diamond, but we've had a billion threads on that already).

De Gea
Lindelof Bailly/Smalling/Jones Maguire
Valencia Fred Matic Pogba Young
Lukaku Sanchez
Just for the sake of argument (you can say Shaw > Young or whatever). Maguire comes in there to replace Rojo, who would probably be the left-sided CB in that situation. Lindelof obviously right because he's our best passing CB, and then there's arguments for and against any of those middle three.

Mind you, looking at that, there's also big question marks over those wingbacks, imo.
Indeed... We didn't concede many last season and with that line up I could see us replicating that.

We didn't score enough though and I could see Sanchez / Lukaku either looking very isolated or receiving a lot of the ball out wide.

I hope we are after at least one more creative / attacking player but it does seem to be all the talk is around a CB.

PoTMS

We need a centre back as our current ones aren't to a sufficient standard. However we have more pressing concerns than CB. Our full backs are shit and we have no RW in our entire squad. These areas need to be sorted before we think about reinforcing central defence as our current options are a major reason why we play the way we play, with little to no attacking verve and all our play down only the left hand side.

On the flip side, our midfield looks like our strongest part of our team which is crazy when you think it's been our Achilles heel for years. We could also probably do with another striker as backup for Rom as I'm not entirely convinced by Rashford and Martial up front.

RedB4ndiT

Because a good one is available and he might go to a rival.

Same reason we signed Sanchez even though we didn't need him -- City wanted him and would make them even stronger so we signed him and ruined the development of Martial and Rashford.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bailly is terribly overrated on here. This ‘our best defender’ tag seems to have just been given and not earned.

el3mel

We need a defender. It's just not the maximum priority but it seems we failed in getting any other target in other areas so shifted to Maguire.

Zlatattack

Going out on a limb here so stay with me but I’m gonna say it’s because the ones we have are shit?
You sir win a prize! I couldn't agree more.

Our defenders look shaky if midfield isn't setup to protect them and they can't play the ball forwards, forcing the whole team further back to start attacks.

JK-27

I really don't think Jose is looking to play a different tactical system this season, considering we have virtually the same players as last year, with Fred the only signing who you could consider is going to be a regular starter in the team.

Jose is saying he needs to sign one more player, he'd need to sign several to make a 3-5-2 work.

Hawks2008

Because Mourinho will not be content until the entire squad is full of defenders.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Lindelof is decent on the ball but very average at defending, Bailly has bags of ability but is mental and not really a leader, Smalling is a great defender one on one and strong in the air but poor on the ball and again not a leader.

I won't even bother with our other options, much as I like Jones I think he's done at the top level. I think Valencia is getting that way too.

So basically we need an organiser at the back who is good on the ball and not cack at defending.

Could also do with new full backs too unless Dalot is already ready to step up.

Henry Gaervell

A new CB is the 3rd priority after a RW and RB.

While we have decent depth in the CB (I'd also add TFM to the OP's list), the quality and injury concerns are the issue
- Rojo and Jones are confirmed sick notes who can't be relied on
- Bailley is perhaps our best all round CB, but persistent injuries may push him into the above catagory
- Smalling was our best performing defender last year. Athleticism is his main strength, but is let down by the occasional poor decision. His lack of technical ability is the concern, with limited ball playing skills. A good but not excellent Prem defender
- Lideloff, TFM and Tunzebe are at various stages of development. Could come great, but still learning

We have enough to cobble a back 2 or even a back 3 together, but it's not enough to challenge for major silverware. it needs improving on and up to 3 players moved on within the next 6 months

My ideal strategy would move to a back 3 and sign McGuire this window - I'd rather have Aldeeweirald (if we cpuod only sign 1) but I think spurs will continue to be unrealistic about his valuation. Jones and Rojo would be leaving to free up space for more promising youngsters. Starting line up would be:

Bailley, Smalling, McGuire

Lideloff, TFM and Tunzebe are the main back-ups with the chance to dislodged Bailley and Smalling

Come the January window, we would have a greater chance of signing Alderweirald at a sensible price (a more top experienced defender). At that point we also have greater certainty on whether Bailey can put his injury/ inconsistency problems behind him and if Victor L has a chance of making it in the prem. A decision can also be made on keeping TFM or Tunzebe at the club, or whether they need another loan for more playing time. At this stage, we also may look to move on Smalling either in Jan or Summer 19

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The very fact that we are considering buying a CB is a stain on our transfer activity given that we have previously bought one each year Mourinho has been here (as well as Rojo in LvG's first year). What if this new one doesn't work out ? Are we next summer also going to say we need a new CB ? Ridiculous.

Ekeke

The very fact that we are considering buying a CB is a stain on our transfer activity given that we have previously bought one each year Mourinho has been here (as well as Rojo in LvG's first year). What if this new one doesn't work out ? Are we next summer also going to say we need a new CB ? Ridiculous.
Yes. Yes we are.

We're still relying on Sir Alex's buys at the back. Thank god for them because where would we be without them?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Isn't that sort of how it works, if you buy a player and they don't work out then you need to buy another one? Or if you have players that have been at the club far too long and need to be rid of them, then they need replacing?

Member 5225

So I see Smalling isn’t rated anymore on here (finally!).
Where are y’all when the season starts and the fanboys come out and shout us down to ‘accept’ him.

The_Midfielder

Go watch the goal against Huddersfield away and see why Lindelof cannot be the first choice .. 80% of teams will be peppering us with long balls if we play Lindelof ..

Ekeke

Isn't that sort of how it works, if you buy a player and they don't work out then you need to buy another one? Or if you have players that have been at the club far too long and need to be rid of them, then they need replacing?
If you keep buying players in the same position and it doesnt work out, you need to address your scouting and targets or appreciate what you already have because maybe they're better than the options that keep coming in

Jacko21

If we're going to be more expansive, which you'd assume we'll have to be win the league, then Mourinho will need to trust his defenders to, well... defend. De Gea was called upon way too often last year and on too many occasions the attacking side of our game was reigned in because of Mourinho's reluctance to lessen the shield in front of the defence.

We conceded the second fewest goals last season, but I think most recognise that was helped in no small part by having the world's best goalkeeper and more men behind the ball. On the occasions when our defenders were exposed, it was like Bambi on ice back there.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nope. If you are making the wrong decisions for two years on the trot then perhaps its time to question whether the decision maker's methodologies are the problem and not the players. If Mourinho wanted a CB, he should've taken care of all that the instant he came here and not two years into the project. Oh wait he did take care of it, two years ago and then apparently thought it wasn't enough, so he tried again last year. At some point his own decision making is going to need to be held to account and if he doesn't want to take responsibility for having bought two other CBs in the preceding two years then he isn't likely to take responsibility if this next one doesn't excel either.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't really see the need if I am honest. Considering our defence has been one of the only good things about our team. Unless we can get shot of a few of the big wages like Rojo and give up on Phil jones - whilst finding someone stupid enough to buy him, that's the only way I can see us justifying buying a new CB.