g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Why do we not have a women's team?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have a question, and I know it's a bit of a stupid one and it doesn't really work this way, but...

If you had a choice between developing a women's team, from youth level all the way up, which includes getting players, developing infrastructure, putting money towards promotion, getting coaches etc or buying a player for our first team, what would you prefer?
In reality, the choice isn't even difficult Lyon are the best team in Europe, PSG are probably the second best, they respectively have a 5 and 7m annual budgets.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
In reality, the choice isn't even difficult Lyon are the best team in Europe, PSG are probably the second best, they respectively have a 5 and 7m annual budgets.
Fair, but surely the initial development from the ground up would be quite expensive?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I have a question, and I know it's a bit of a stupid one and it doesn't really work this way, but...

If you had a choice between developing a women's team, from youth level all the way up, which includes getting players, developing infrastructure, putting money towards promotion, getting coaches etc or buying a player for our first team, what would you prefer?
If you had a choice between walking, or chewing gum, what would you prefer?

Or perhaps, I know this is crazy but stick with me here, could you do both at the same time?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
If you had a choice between walking, or chewing gum, what would you prefer?

Or perhaps, I know this is crazy but stick with me here, could you do both at the same time?
Well if you have a set amount of money to spend over the course of a certain amount of time then no, it might be a choice as to how you allocate resources.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair, but surely the initial development from the ground up would be quite expensive?
What would be expensive? United have the The Cliff, women football is generally played on the same grounds than U21 football and United could use Old Trafford for big CL games, there is nothing big to purchase outside of player. Also the teams I have mentioned are the equivalent of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Well if you have a set amount of money to spend over the course of a certain amount of time then no, it might be a choice as to how you allocate resources.
What are you talking about?

If we can spunk 35m on Schneiderlin, 28m on Fellaini, pay Zlatan, Rooney & Schweinsteiger 850-900k a week collectively, then we are not in a position where we only have a set amount of money.

Money isn't an issue for us.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
That would be a disgrace. We would have to split all our revenue equally between the mens and womens teams.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

JPRouve

Scout

siw2007

I wouldn't be against a women's team. I think it would be good for exposure and PR. I like how City are able to advertise new kits with the women's team modelling them with the mens. I don't think it's a good idea to let city get a monopoly of the women's game in Manchester either.

But at the end of the day I wouldn't pay to watch a women's game and I'm not sure whether I would be too fussed on watching it on tv either.

Ixion

Ignoring that you're pasting links to that disgraceful site...

Far more men play football than women, the pool size the talent is coming from is tiny in comparison. There may very well be some exceptionally talented women out there who we'll never see because they don't have the resources and opportunities.

And the men's game has been developing since the late 1800s so of course the standard is much higher, money can't just suddenly be pumped into the women's game now and expect it to suddenly be anywhere near the same standard.

Jacko21

Money.

Manchester City have invested heavily in the women's side of their game - poaching the best players and paying the highest wages. And to their credit, they've put equality at the heart of their new training facilities.

However, it's loss-making. They're not gaining anything financially from having a team in the Women's Super League. It's effectively a loss-leader - promoting a product at a loss, but knowing that it'll attract investment, support etc into the brand/club as a whole. The club don't have the interests of female footballers at the heart of their ambition, but rather the good PR and brand exposure that results from it. But in truth, said exposure is a fraction of what can be achieved from other initiatives.

Without wanting to sound sexist, there is a ceiling to the women's game, and it isn't that high. United acknowledged this long ago and chose to pursue other avenues.

How do you profit from something that is boring? That's the crux of the issue. Women's football, to the masses, isn't entertaining.

At this moment in time, there is no incentive to United investing in a women's game. And I doubt there ever will be.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We should have one. Little girls who adore Manchester United should be able to dream of playing for their club too.

The idea that it costs too much is nonsense given that other teams without our resources have one. Every time we're linked with an overpriced player we get a load of "who cares, it's not our money" arguments so why wouldn't the same apply here? It's just about where our priorities lie.

Stack

Money.

Manchester City have invested heavily in the women's side of their game - poaching the best players and paying the highest wages. And to their credit, they've put equality at the heart of their new training facilities.

However, it's loss-making. They're not gaining anything financially from having a team in the Women's Super League. It's effectively a loss-leader - promoting a product at a loss, but knowing that it'll attract investment, support etc into the brand/club as a whole. The club don't have the interests of female footballers at the heart of their ambition, but rather the good PR and brand exposure that results from it. But in truth, said exposure is a fraction of what can be achieved from other initiatives.

Without wanting to sound sexist, there is a ceiling to the women's game, and it isn't that high. United acknowledged this long ago and chose to pursue other avenues.

How do you profit from something that is boring? That's the crux of the issue. Women's football, to the masses, isn't entertaining.

At this moment in time, there is no incentive to United investing in a women's game. And I doubt there ever will be.
We have a deaf team, we have community coaching clinics for local at risk kids. How do we profit from something that boring?

decorativeed

This is the point most so-called SJWs don't get - the mens game has almost two centuries worth of development, and has taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears (literally at times) to get to where it is today. People now expect the women's game to skip all that, and ride on the back of the men's game. If there was true equality, women would start exactly where men started, and try to build their game from that. Anything else would be unjust, and morality doesnt really have anything to do with it.
You would do well to look into the history of the womens game, as it has well over a century of history to it, despite the FA trying it's best to destroy it in the 1920s.

The 1966 World Cup was the catalyst for reestablishing it as a legitimate professional sport and forming an England Womens team, so even the recent history of it is older than you think.

Jacko21

We have a deaf team, we have community coaching clinics for local at risk kids. How do we profit from something that boring?
They are community initiatives, not a sizeable arm of a business.

Women's football isn't a charity. Manchester City are trying to instil parity between the men and women's game and however admirable that is, it won't be successful.

Stack

They are community initiatives, not a sizeable arm of a business.

Women's football isn't a charity. Manchester City are trying to instil parity between the men and women's game and however admirable that is, it won't be successful.
Its already successful. Some of the arguments put forward in here suffer from serious moving of goalposts, sidestepping and idiocy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is the point most so-called SJWs don't get - the mens game has almost two centuries worth of development, and has taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears (literally at times) to get to where it is today. People now expect the women's game to skip all that, and ride on the back of the men's game. If there was true equality, women would start exactly where men started, and try to build their game from that. Anything else would be unjust, and morality doesnt really have anything to do with it.
You don't seem to understand how equality is supposed to work.

Jacko21

Its already successful. Some of the arguments put forward in here suffer from serious moving of goalposts, sidestepping and idiocy.
I'm talking about financial parity. Engagement parity. Sponsorship parity. Investment parity.

Manchester City aren't profiting financially from having a women's game.

jungledrums

What are you talking about?

If we can spunk 35m on Schneiderlin, 28m on Fellaini, pay Zlatan, Rooney & Schweinsteiger 850-900k a week collectively, then we are not in a position where we only have a set amount of money.

Money isn't an issue for us.
Did you not consider that perhaps those expenses fell within our budget? No doubt we have a lot to spend, but we don't have unlimited funding. Anyway, I'm not sure why that's relevant, as we could obviously afford to develop and sustain a women's football team.

Stack

I'm talking about financial parity. Engagement parity. Sponsorship parity. Investment parity.

Manchester City aren't profiting financially from having a women's game.
Its an utterly moronic argument. Ignorant, moronic and vacuous.
I would bet that you dont play for a local club, have never played for a local club, have never been to watch local club football, dont have kids playing in local grassroots football and watch all your football on tv or at the pub. If you did any of those things you will understand exactly why I called your parity comments moronic.
The crux of the problem in these forums is those who dont see the point or are opposed to Utd having a womens team have absolutely no connection to the actual game, they have no connection to their local grassroots football community and have absolutley no idea of whats going on with respect to the growth of the game, its future or its impact on the community.
TV, pubs, playstation.

JPRouve

Scout
I would bet that you dont play for a local club, have never played for a local club, have never been to watch local club football, dont have kids playing in local grassroots football and watch all your football on tv or at the pub. If you did any of those things you will understand exactly why I called your parity comments moronic.
The crux of the problem in these forums is those who dont see the point or are opposed to Utd having a womens team have absolutely no connection to the actual game, they have no connection to their local grassroots football community and have absolutley no idea of whats going on with respect to the growth of the game, its future or its impact on the community.
TV, pubs, playstation.
You are a bit harsh mate.

decorativeed

So why does that have to be United? If the women's game is ever to have any real credibility and stand on its own legs then they need their own clubs, otherwise they'll forever be in the shadow of the men's team.
Most women's football teams were formed separately of the men's clubs, but then after many years, were brought under the umbrella of the nearest men's teams and often renamed after them.

Jacko21

TV, pubs, playstation.
Presumptuous much.

I don't dispute the well-meaning initiative of furthering the women's game - to instil a belief in young girls that they can be a footballer.

But what you're ignoring is that the reasons for Manchester City wanting a female football team are entirely centred around brand exposure and public relations. They spotted an opportunity and they took it.

From United's perspective, they've chosen to allocate time, money and resources into actitivites that present greater financial incentives. Rightly or wrongly.

decorativeed

Well why do you think we would have a women's team then? Let's face it will you go and watch them play. It's just in the modern world we are looked at by many is a disgrace (think that term is used every other post at the moment). The only reason you see it as a disgrace is because of political correctness it's not that girls are not allowed to play football, they can. You could even go and start a ladies team of your own and get them promoted through the divisions. I just don't see why it has got to be affiliated with Manchester United other than as a box ticking exercise (Man united ladies team, check).

If you don't see this :houllier:
The reason people see it as something we should have isn't because of 'political correctness', but because we are the richest club in the world, yet one of the few in the country who don't have a senior women's team. We have a female academy system, but as soon as these girls reach 16, there's nowhere for them to go but elsewhere. Our female academy graduates are forced to leave, and many of them now play for rival clubs.

Josep Dowling

I have to say if United did produce a women's team I would have more interest in the Woman's game.

SirAF

Ageist
Is there a rule that says women can't play for our first team? Genuine question.
I'm pretty sure there was a story about a female player signing for a male club, although I can't remember if it was just a PR stunt.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The reason people see it as something we should have isn't because of 'political correctness', but because we are the richest club in the world, yet one of the few in the country who don't have a senior women's team. We have a female academy system, but as soon as these girls reach 16, there's nowhere for them to go but elsewhere. Our female academy graduates are forced to leave, and many of them now play for rival clubs.
Ins't that just another flavour of political correctness though? Don't get me wrong btw, I'm not against big clubs keeping a Women's team. Even if you only see it from a financial point of view it could make some sense for PR reasons and because it might get girls/women interested in the sport and subsequently club.
In Germany there are also a couple of 1st division ladies clubs who don't need a big men's team to carry them, most notably FFC Frankfurt and Turbine Potsdam, who also happen to be the two clubs who won the most titles. So it might not even be a big investment to start a ladies team.

I'm pretty sure there was a story about a female player signing for a male club, although I can't remember if it was just a PR stunt.
Afaik one of the italien mid/lower table teams once "wanted" to sign one.

decorativeed

Thing is, we already do all of that stuff, and somehow manage to buy players for world record fees. We just have nowhere for the over-16 players to go once they've reaped the benefits of our female academy system. It's daft.

Stack

Add to that the fact the game has absolutely exploded in the last decade for girls and women in terms of playing numbers. Add in that the marketing opportunities alone could make it financially viable. Add in that football has become the worlds most popular team sport for women and girls. Add in the fact that football is the fastest growing team sport for girls at school. In 2016 the average attendance for the English FA WSL div 1 was 1128 but the Scottish Ladbrokes Div 1, a semi professional league had an average attendance of 565 and that division isnt collapsing. Dumbarton in the Scottish championship, a fully professional league averaged attendances of 1130 and the whole viability argument becomes rather silly.
For some reason the people arguing against it are not using realistic comparisons that relate to whats actually going on and able to be done. Man City arent having to pay players 50k a week, nor are they running their womans team at a loss which causes the club any even remotely irritating loss.
Utd have been in Manchester for a very long time and they have connections and roots built over decades of involvement in the game their. The womens game has absolutely exploded in the last decade or so, more women and girls actively play and follow the game. The logical path to take both from a moral and financial standpoint is to have a womans team. Even with small attendances it could be run profitably. Anyone who has ever been involved at grassroots club football knows that semi professional teams can pay their own way because the budgets fit the situation.

decorativeed

Ins't that just another flavour of political correctness though? Don't get me wrong btw, I'm not against big clubs keeping a Women's team. Even if you only see it from a financial point of view it could make some sense for PR reasons and because it might get girls/women interested in the sport and subsequently club.
In Germany there are also a couple of 1st division ladies clubs who don't need a big men's team to carry them, most notably FFC Frankfurt and Turbine Potsdam, who also happen to be the two clubs who won the most titles.

Afaik one of the italien mid/lower table teams once "wanted" to sign one.
I don't understand the 'PC' point you and others keep trying to make.

We live in the 21st century. We have a female academy system. Most Premier league clubs have female teams. Women's football is improving and increasing in popularity. We had a women's team that was closed down for financial reasons. We are the richest football club in the world.

There's no reason we shouldn't have a women's football team and 'political correctness' doesn't even come into it.

Also, have you heard of Doncaster Belles? They are one of the most successful women's teams, and were so long before they merged with Doncaster Rovers. Those German clubs are not unique. I think there's a serious lack of knowledge of English women's football history in here as in society in general.

Last edited:

jackofalltrades

I think an important issue is what is meant by"equality" in this debate. I think we should have a women's team but there's a danger that the players would forget that in general it's how good you are and how much revenue you bring in that determines how much you're paid. Cleverly deosn't get paid as much as Iniesta because he's not as good. Most fans would probably be glad to see Fellaini's wages halved. Football is entertainment and big business.

Doctors, civil servants etc who are in an equal-pay structured system are not the same as footballers or actors and it could be dangerous not to remember this. One thing is to get better pay in line with what you bring in, another is the same pay as male footballers in the name of equality. As women footballers get better and better, this distinction would have to be clear.