Why do we not have a women's team?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I think an important issue is what is meant by"equality" in this debate. I think we should have a women's team but there's a danger that the players would forget that in general it's how good you are and how much revenue you bring in that determines how much you're paid. Cleverly deosn't get paid as much as Iniesta because he's not as good. Most fans would probably be glad to see Fellaini's wages halved. Football is entertainment and big business.

Doctors, civil servants etc who are in an equal-pay structured system are not the same as footballers or actors and it could be dangerous not to remember this. One thing is to get better pay in line with what you bring in, another is the same pay as male footballers in the name of equality. As women footballers get better and better, this distinction would have to be clear.
I am not sure what you are even arguing against. How did you even get to this slippery slope?

Ixion

I think of companies like FaceBook, Twitter, Google etc. I'm sure they wish they didn't have to worry about half the shit they are expected to, dealing with trolls, parental controls, being hassled from Governments about privacy concerns, the crap their users post etc. but a company gets so big it suddenly has responsibilities and expectations that go beyond making a profit.

As one of the biggest clubs in the World I don't think United should have to have a women's team but I think they probably should.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think of companies like FaceBook, Twitter, Google etc. I'm sure they wish they didn't have to worry about half the shit they are expected to, dealing with trolls, parental controls, being hassled from Governments about privacy concerns, the crap their users post etc. but a company gets so big it suddenly has responsibilities and expectations that go beyond making a profit.

As one of the biggest clubs in the World I don't think United should have to have a women's team but I think they probably should.
I don't think United have to do anything but I would like it because if I'm being honest watching the best french and german teams play is generally pleasing, they play a good technical brand of football and I'm sure that with time mancunians would love their women team.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT

OldTrevil

I remember wondering why we didn't have one when I found out teams like Arsenal and City have them, I didn't know it was the Glazers that ended it but I'm not surprised. Having one would be a good thing for our young girl fans to aspire to for sure.

illReD

Untied has a deaf team as well as disabled teams and on top of that runs community coaching for local at risk youth and kids, all subsidised by the money the mens game brings in.

Also one more thing. Have a look at how many girls and women attend matches at OT these days and think about the money they are spending to support the club. Add in the money women and girls spend on merchandise and then the money women and girls spend buy playing kit, balls, shin pads etc etc etc in the local girls and womens leagues all the while trying to get your head at how fast the girls and womens game has taken off in the last decade.
Your argument is appalling

It is an absolute disgrace that we dont have a womans team and what makes it worse is how many fans like to gloat about how we are the richest and biggest club in the world.
The biggest disgrace is the Utd fans who object to Utd having a womens team.
Comparing deaf and disabled teams to a women's team shows your mentality to be honest.
I could care less if we had a women's team, but don't act like it's in the name of "equality" if it's being subsidised by the men's team.
Women are also quite capable of enjoying men's sports, stop being so condescending and assuming they want a women's team simply because they are women and support the club.
Your "equality" is equality for the sake of it, which is inequality, though contradictory statements from Liberals don't surprise me anymore.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Untied has a deaf team as well as disabled teams and on top of that runs community coaching for local at risk youth and kids, all subsidised by the money the mens game brings in.

Also one more thing. Have a look at how many girls and women attend matches at OT these days and think about the money they are spending to support the club. Add in the money women and girls spend on merchandise and then the money women and girls spend buy playing kit, balls, shin pads etc etc etc in the local girls and womens leagues all the while trying to get your head at how fast the girls and womens game has taken off in the last decade.
Your argument is appalling

It is an absolute disgrace that we dont have a womans team and what makes it worse is how many fans like to gloat about how we are the richest and biggest club in the world.
The biggest disgrace is the Utd fans who object to Utd having a womens team.
Really well said, agree completely

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Wow, first I've heard of the Dallas/USWNT match. Surprised this didn't gather top sports coverage in the US - it surely would have if the Men's side lost to a U-15 girl's side. The "world champions" losing to an U-15 boys side. Guess that should put to rest the lark that the Women's team could beat the Men's team.

Dir Wangem

I'd love it if we had a women's team as long as it doesn't seriously affect the economy of men's team. I'd hate it if our transfer budget suffered for many years because of it.

But I don't know anything about football economy. There's probably a clever way around this, and thus I don't see the problem.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Comparing deaf and disabled teams to a women's team shows your mentality to be honest.
I could care less if we had a women's team, but don't act like it's in the name of "equality" if it's being subsidised by the men's team.
Women are also quite capable of enjoying men's sports, stop being so condescending and assuming they want a women's team simply because they are women and support the club.
Your "equality" is equality for the sake of it, which is inequality, though contradictory statements from Liberals don't surprise me anymore.
I havent mentioned equality once in this thread or any other womens football thread. The issue has nothing to do with equality. Did you skip comprehension class in English at school???

With respect to the deaf and disabled teams, go read what I was replying to and try and work it out. Again, did you skip comprehension in English at school????

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Dude, thats like taking a spoonful of the ocean and concluding there are no whales in the ocean because there are no whales in the spoon.
Considering that they are literally the world champions? I don't think so.
It's clear that women have physical disadvantages when it comes to football - or athletics, which can be seen if we compare Olympic records. And world champions losing to some US U-15 side just highlight that the difference is too big to even consider signing Lionella Messi, for example. Which was the original point.

harms

Staff
Ideally, if we're talking about equal rights, it would be fair to make football non-gender specific. Especially since there are more complicated genders identities than just male and female, non-binary etc. And to have the best women footballers perform in a (former) man leagues - if they are good enough, they will make it here.

Creating women's team for the sake of it - considering the fact that it generates very little interest, shouldn't be expected from football clubs, as they are not a non-profit organizations.

JPRouve

Scout
Wow, first I've heard of the Dallas/USWNT match. Surprised this didn't gather top sports coverage in the US - it surely would have if the Men's side lost to a U-15 girl's side. The "world champions" losing to an U-15 boys side. Guess that should put to rest the lark that the Women's team could beat the Men's team.
Men are a lot more athletic, the conversation shouldn't even exist in the first place.

JPRouve

Scout
I have the strange feeling that people mix equality and equity.

Rista

I wonder how many of those who insist we should have a women's team would actually watch the games themselves? Or say, watch just one single game. I'll stick my neck out and say less than 1%.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I wonder how many of those who insist we should have a women's team would actually watch the games themselves? Or say, watch just one single game. I'll stick my neck out and say less than 1%.
Firstly, of course it would be more than 1%, just because you wouldn't watch doesn't mean your opinion is reflective of everyone else.
Secondly, you're discounting the fact that there would be people who would be interested in watching the women's game, who aren't regular viewers of the mens game.
Thirdly, women's football isn't going to stay at the level it is now forever, as its profile increases so does the standard & quality of football, and naturally the coverage & entertainment which would be enticing to new audiences also.

Stack

The majority of those who would go to watch a womans game dont hang out on these forums. They are girls and women who actually play the game and not those who only ever watch it on tv or at a pub or mess around on ps4

red_devil83

But how will the women's game ever reach anywhere near the same levels if we don't encourage them, invest in them and take it more seriously? Slowly but surely women's football is becoming more appealing, attracting more audience and improving in quality. Why not be a part of that?
Why not wait for everyone else to do all the hard work then we just muscle in when it's profitable?

Honestly, women's sport (esp football) will never be as popular as men's, simply because they'll never be as good. Atheltics and tennis, fine. Other sports it's just so woman can play - and I have no objection to them doing any sport they like - but let's not pretend women's football or women's rugby interests more than a handful of people compared to men's equivalent.

Men are, faster and stronger and so will make for a better spectacle in sports where this is a factor. ie all sports

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Why not wait for everyone else to do all the hard work then we just muscle in when it's profitable?

Honestly, women's sport (esp football) will never be as popular as men's, simply because they'll never be as good. Atheltics and tennis, fine. Other sports it's just so woman can play - and I have no objection to them doing any sport they like - but let's not pretend women's football or women's rugby interests more than a handful of people compared to men's equivalent.

Men are, faster and stronger and so will make for a better spectacle in sports where this is a factor. ie all sports
You must be very proud of your penis. Congratulations.

theralyst

Get this:- 3.5bil women in the world, there must a few messi and maradonas there some where. We are missing out.
I've always wondered (read: a few minutes toilet musing) if there was a female footballer literally as good as Messi, is there anything against the top men's clubs signing her up? Like, could we ever see women play in the men's game? Or is this just a boy's club? I mean, no one actually knows because the precedent hasn't been set, but it's a rather interesting thought (it's not).

Drifter

American
Would love for us to have a women's team and knock Arse Ladies of their perch. Even though we will need to win 45 trophies.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Ideally, if we're talking about equal rights, it would be fair to make football non-gender specific. Especially since there are more complicated genders identities than just male and female, non-binary etc. And to have the best women footballers perform in a (former) man leagues - if they are good enough, they will make it here.

Creating women's team for the sake of it - considering the fact that it generates very little interest, shouldn't be expected from football clubs, as they are not a non-profit organizations.
They won't. Why do people go out of their way to deny physical differences between the sexes?

Ixion

If they were featured on MUTV I'm sure plenty would watch and keep up to date.

Stack

I've always wondered (read: a few minutes toilet musing) if there was a female footballer literally as good as Messi, is there anything against the top men's clubs signing her up? Like, could we ever see women play in the men's game? Or is this just a boy's club? I mean, no one actually knows because the precedent hasn't been set, but it's a rather interesting thought (it's not).
There will never be a female player capable of playing at the level of an EPL side or Champions league etc. There are physical differences between the sexes and also societal constraints that mean this will never happen. We will never ever see a woman playing for the senior Man Utd team in the EPL etc. We do know this because we can see and measure the physical differences and issues. There are female footballers who are staggeringly brilliant within the context of the womans game. One of the main problems in these threads is males comparing the female game to the male game, thats a mistake, they are quite different things in many respects.
Not one of the people in here expressing doubt or opposition to Utd having a womans team is doing so from the viewpoint of a female player or fan, not one is thinking about what girls and women might want and not one is thinking in terms of Man Utds links/connections/impact/influence/responsibility to the local football community in Manchester and England. All the negative comments in here are coming from what that poster wants and what they think. What isnt happening is an awareness, understanding or vision regarding the staggering growth of the womens game in the last decade or 2 and the huge benefits it brings to the wider football community.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Nope. Its been going on in here for years and there is nothing harsh about pointing out ignorance and moronic arguments
You can't do that because they react like precious, girly snowflakes.

JPRouve

Scout
They won't. Why do people go out of their way to deny physical differences between the sexes?
I could be wrong but it seems that it's a way to justify the idea that women football shouldn't exist. "If they can't play with men, they are pointless."

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I could be wrong but it seems that it's a way to justify the idea that women football shouldn't exist. "If they can't play with men, they are pointless."
I didn't say that. I was refuting the other poster's claim that an open professional division could result in women playing alongside men.

Quite the opposite: physical differences between the sexes is the reason women's football should and does exist.

liamp

Because it's not a particularly big deal. I live in Dallas and this got a little bit of attention locally from sports radio shows, but then people actually knowledgeable about how the USWNT practices explained that they regularly scrimmage men's sides (youth and adult) because it's better preparation...and they frequently lose. I'm not sure anyone other than idiots really believed the bolded statement.

Money.

Manchester City have invested heavily in the women's side of their game - poaching the best players and paying the highest wages. And to their credit, they've put equality at the heart of their new training facilities.

However, it's loss-making. They're not gaining anything financially from having a team in the Women's Super League. It's effectively a loss-leader - promoting a product at a loss, but knowing that it'll attract investment, support etc into the brand/club as a whole. The club don't have the interests of female footballers at the heart of their ambition, but rather the good PR and brand exposure that results from it. But in truth, said exposure is a fraction of what can be achieved from other initiatives.

Without wanting to sound sexist, there is a ceiling to the women's game, and it isn't that high. United acknowledged this long ago and chose to pursue other avenues.

How do you profit from something that is boring? That's the crux of the issue. Women's football, to the masses, isn't entertaining.

At this moment in time, there is no incentive to United investing in a women's game. And I doubt there ever will be.
Right now, any owner investing in women's sports goes in knowing that, except in rare instances, it's a financial loss in the short/medium/long run. That applies to football in England, the NWSL in the US, the WNBA, Women's College Basketball, etc. etc. You do it because it's most likely the right thing to do and because you're trying to create the groundwork for future generations of women both from an athletic standpoint and a marketing standpoint. Youth participation stats show that participation rates for girls in women's football continues to increase in England and the US. Even though, developmentally, professional women's football is very much still in it's nascency it's important to get in at this ground level.

As far as the part that's bolded, you're not appealing to the masses right now. Women's football isn't developed enough to be appealing beyond a small base of viewers, and most of the people on this forum certainly aren't the target demographic.

Being as far behind City as we are in areas like this, or our website from the 1990's, or our social media presence which resembles that of an insurance company isn't a big deal right now or in the near future. It's just a combination of things that make us less accessible and, honestly, less attractive to younger generations inside and outside of England, which could potentially hurt us down the road.

JPRouve

Scout
I didn't say that. I was refuting the other poster's claim that an open professional division could result in women playing alongside men.

Quite the opposite: physical differences between the sexes is the reason women's football should and does exist.
I was trying to answer your question. I know that you didn't say that.

KN5

Probably doesn't make business sense to invest in a women's team, we have to remember the people that make these decisions most likely have better business sense than ourselves. Sure you can bang on about equality from where you're sat, but if it doesn't make money, why would a business invest in it?

Stack

Probably doesn't make business sense to invest in a women's team, we have to remember the people that make these decisions most likely have better business sense than ourselves. Sure you can bang on about equality from where you're sat, but if it doesn't make money, why would a business invest in it?
nobody is banging on about equality in this thread. Businesses all over the world in all industries/endeavours for hundreds of years have invested in things that initially werent making money, they spotted a trend and opportunity and went for it. Also why is everyone assuming that a womans team is going to lose money?. The wages wont be anywhere comparable to the mens game and the marketing opportunities are large enough for it to turn a modest profit.

JPRouve

Scout
I have no problem with United not having a women team and I have no problem with the Glazer thinking that it's not profitable but is it actually the case? Do you think that Woodward, wouldn't find a way to make 5 to 7 millions per year on the back of the women team?

I'm genuinely wondering.

harms

Staff
Not pointless, but it shouldn't be required of commercial corporations to participate in it if they don't see the point. Especially since many do anyway. I'm all for women's football - but the rhetoric that it's shameful not to have a team or something similar is alien to me; I guess it's the same with every other positive discrimination, as in Campbell's claim that he isn't getting a managerial job because he's black etc. Businesses should have freedom to use their money as they wish to.

Although the example of integrating women in male football wasn't just to justify my opinion on women's football - I genuinely feel that if the likes of Marta want to try herself in the male football, she should be allowed to do it - without any preferential treatment but with a fair chance.

Last edited: