Why do we not have a women's team?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Some women only want parity when its on their side. There was a campaign a few years back that women wanted the same prize money as men get at Wimbledon tennis. When it was mentioned that that would be fine provided they play equal number of sets the women were up in arms about it. In the end they still got parity prize money though.
The trouble with these threads is the actual topic gets derailed by comments such as this which is miles away from what the point of the thread actually is

Oscie

The point of the thread seems to be to shame those who aren't bothered about the fact we don't have a women's team.

We don't have a LGBT team either, so unless you're really angry about that you're a massive homophobe, right?

The_Order

This is the point most so-called SJWs don't get - the mens game has almost two centuries worth of development, and has taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears (literally at times) to get to where it is today. People now expect the women's game to skip all that, and ride on the back of the men's game. If there was true equality, women would start exactly where men started, and try to build their game from that. Anything else would be unjust, and morality doesnt really have anything to do with it.
No one is asking for the men's team to be cancelling games to accommodate the women's. But I find it really confusing how people keep pushing back against the idea that a global institution like Manchester United having a women's team. There is nothing SJW about it, it just makes sense to provide this opportunity.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The point of the thread seems to be to shame those who aren't bothered about the fact we don't have a women's team.

We don't have a LGBT team either, so unless you're really angry about that you're a massive homophobe, right?
Here's a fun fact, did you know that you can be gay and play mens/womens football at the same time?

Yeah it really shocked me too.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

The shaming happens because of dumb posts like this.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
No one is asking for the men's team to be cancelling games to accommodate the women's. But I find it really confusing how people keep pushing back against the idea that a global institution like Manchester United having a women's team. There is nothing SJW about it, it just makes sense to provide this opportunity.
And once again we already have a Woman's youth team. It makes zero sense for us to not have a senior team for them.

Oscie

The shaming happens because of dumb posts like this.
My post is in response to the aggressive insinuations made against those who don't agree that it's an outrage we don't have a women's team. Most people aren't bothered and no amount of tears an insinuations that makes people sexist, will make them that bothered that we don't have a women's team.

Oscie

Here's a fun fact, did you know that you can be gay and play mens/womens football at the same time?

Yeah it really shocked me too.
Football having a history of welcoming gay players, of course.

decorativeed

If it's a community thing then the lack of disabled or over 50s teams are equally egregious then?
The foundation do run these things though. Try actually researching things before presenting false statements as fact.

No, apparently it's point is to expose those posters with moronic views and no facts to back them up. Nobody is angry about us not having a woman's team anymore. Many of us are questioning the decision to keep it defunct and waste the opportunity to compete and see through the rest of the work we do with younger female players.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Football having a history of welcoming gay players, of course.
That's a separate discussion, being gay doesn't have an effect on your ability to play football.

There's literally no reason that you brought it up other than ignorance.

And football isn't welcome to gay footballers because so many football 'fans' are stuck with prehistoric thoughts and don't even realise it - or they realise it and don't care to change.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

No, the point of thread is to ask why we don't have a women's team. Nobody really cares if you're bothered by it or not, it's just that you not being bothered isn't an actual argument one way or another, so people will naturally point out how stupid a response that is.

decorativeed

My post is in response to the aggressive insinuations made against those who don't agree that it's an outrage we don't have a women's team. Most people aren't bothered and no amount of tears an insinuations that makes people sexist, will make them that bothered that we don't have a women's team.
The only person being aggressive and using terms like "outrage" is you, pal. Any aspirations to become a Daily Mail journalist by any chance? You're a shoo-in.

Oscie

The only person being aggressive and using terms like "outrage" is you, pal. Any aspirations to become a Daily Mail journalist by any chance? You're a shoo-in.
My first article could be to write about those who passive-aggressively use the word 'pal' thinking it makes them look hard

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is no outrage about the absence of womens team. Some arguments against it are pretty bad though.

decorativeed

No, the point of thread is to ask why we don't have a women's team. Nobody really cares if you're bothered by it or not, it's just that you not being bothered isn't an actual argument one way or another, so people will naturally point out how stupid a response that is.
Bravo.

Stack

N

No numbnuts, people are arguing against some of the utterly moronic reasons some are using to justify not having a womans team.

There will be fans who dont watch, dont care for and think womens football is boring, no problem with that.

However there are fans, growing numbers of female fans who have become fans because they are part of the huge growth of females who have taken up playing the game. There is a trend thats been going on for a decade or 2 now of females taking up playing the game. Its a great thing on a number of levels. There are commercial opportunities for clubs who have womens teams, girls and women around the world are spending ever increasing amounts of money on all kinds of merchandise etc. All our rivals now have womens teams and there is a new and growing semi pro league for these teams. We dont have a team in it and thats a shame because all clubs no matter how huge need to make sure they keep links and relationships going with their own local communities. The womans game is growing fast and we are missing out on a part of the game thats growing and hugely positive for football in general on a number of levels.

So if you find womens football boring, dont like it, dont have any inclination to watch it fine. You dont have to, but there are growing numbers of girls and women who would love to see their friends, sisters, daughters etc have the chance to represent Utd. Man City have stolen a march on us, similar to the fears of how they stepped up with their youth setup in the mens game. I would prefer to see us stop playing catchup in areas of football where the growth has so many positives and very few negatives attached.

Oscie

There is no outrage about the absence of womens team. Some arguments against it are pretty bad though.
United fulfil its community role by providing girls football through the UF. The argument then surely is about the professional adult game, at which point you can't ignore commercial viability as a central argument.

GeorgieBoy

I agree we should have a women team. But out of interest, if we did, how many of you would actually watch the games/follow the results. I know I wouldn't.

JPRouve

Scout
United fulfil its community role by providing girls football through the UF. The argument then surely is about the professional adult game, at which point you can't ignore commercial viability as a central argument.
And that's when I said the best in Europe, the team that signs the best women in the world has a 5m annual budget. Can United make 5m out of the womens team?

Last edited:

Stack

I agree we should have a women team. But out of interest, if we did, how many of you would actually watch the games/follow the results. I know I wouldn't.
There is no problem with you not having an interest or follow it and many who use this forum wouldnt. However there are an awful lot of female Man utd fans out there who also play and are knowledgeable about the game. The point being that even though you wouldnt that doesnt mean that others, especially our female fans would ignore it as well.
Also as a side note I wouldnt expect us to have huge numbers of fans turning up to our games, City have roughly 2000 show up, I would expect us to have a little more than that. Some would see that small number at a game as making it pointless but everything has to start somewhere and the growth trends of the last decade especially would point to the numbers of fans attending games to increase with time.

JPRouve

Scout
There is a problem of density in women football, so if I'm honest I only watch the big games between Arsenal, City, Wolfsburg, Frankfurt, PSG, Montpellier, Postdam, Bayern and Lyon. The rest is way too one sided.

Stack

Commercial viability simply wouldnt be a problem, the opportunities are big enough to fund a team and the reality is it wouldnt be fully pro anyway, it would be a semi pro team.

SirScholes

This thread is really bringing out the ignorance in people haha my favourites so far are
@wolvored saying women tennis player refused to play equal sets as the blokes...when in actual fact they said they would but it was the Tennis Association that said no because they wouldn't be physically up to it and it wouldn't be good viewing.

And @manc exile who believes gymnastics isn't a sport hahaha

Jesus wept people, it's pretty clear that one of the biggest sporting franchises in the world that wants to be at the front of every avenue should have a women's football team.

Oscie

And that's when I said the best in Europe, the team that signs the best women in the world has 5m annual budget. Can United make 5m out of the womens team?
I'd suspect not without it being almost completely subsidised by revenue generated by/from the men's team. If the women's team was financially viable it would have stayed. Other club's may be willing to subsidise and fair play to them for that. I can't really see it as a point of shame for clubs that choose not to though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Me neither. Our personal lack of interest doesn't really mean anything though.

Mind you, if I had a daughter I successfully managed to brainwash into liking football then I'd probably become more interested in women's football and in that scenario I'd want there to be a Machester United to support. I would not be impressed if she had to follow City or some other shitehawk team by default.

JPRouve

Scout
I'd suspect not without it being almost completely subsidised by revenue generated by/from the men's team. If the women's team was financially viable it would have stayed. Other club's may be willing to subsidise and fair play to them for that. I can't really see it as a point of shame for clubs that choose not to though.
A point of shame? You really love drama.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Lyon's Woman's team existed for 34 years before they became attached to the Men's team.

Stack

There are an awful lot of girls and women playing football in the greater manchester level, either for clubs or schools. That provides opportunities to market merchandise, playing equipment, casual wear at female fans of the club that has a connection to a womans team as well as the male team. Just have a look at the small band of fans at Man Cities womans teams games to see the the ratio of women/girls to men/boys attending. Man Utd would have no trouble making it a viable business opportunity. Small local business who cant afford to advertise at the mens game would have a chance for small billboard ads at a womans teams games because the cost of the billboard advertising would be relative to the support of the team. There are a ton of other opportunities for Utd to generate income from small local business in that price point.

Oscie

If it was commercially viable it wouldn't have been scrapped. Businessmen aren't in the business of abandoning money-making ventures. The entire premise of the takeover was because of perceived (and subsequently proven correct) under exploitation of commercial opportunities. If women's football was commercially viable it'd be our owners who'd have exploited that by now.

If there was opportunities to make money from women's football why wouldn't the club with the most commercially aggressive owners in the world, not have one?