Why do we not have a women's team?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Down with these 'women' people! Give 'em an inch - and I speak from experience, sadly - and before you know it, they're getting jobs & wearing their old man's trousers!1!!

manc exile

Supports
City
I agree with this in one way. If you've got young female football fans, it gives them a dream of one day playing for United. It's the dream of every young boy who is a United fan. That is the main reason United should have one in my opinion.

Saying that, it doesn't deserve major investment. It will never make money or at least not for a long time. After the last world cup, they tried to push it hard and stories about women's football started appearing on the BBC website mixed in with Premier League news.

In Australia, W-League games are shown live on Foxtel in proper stadia with what seems like 100 people there. That does more harm than good. It's just embarrassing.

Trying to force it on people is the wrong way to go. It needs to be given time to grow at its own pace and find its own following. People will watch it if the product is good enough.
thats not a given. Citys womens team are averaging 2000 fans in the league. Thats more than accrington stanley and morecambe and they are in the football league.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Not pointless, but it shouldn't be required of commercial corporations to participate in it if they don't see the point. Especially since many do anyway.

Although the example of integrating women in male football wasn't just to justify my opinion on women's football - I genuinely feel that if the likes of Marta want to try herself in the male football, she should be allowed to do it - without any preferential treatment but with a fair chance.
Do you think they should just have Men and Woman gymnasts compete against each other?

manc exile

Supports
City
Do you think they should just have Men and Woman gymnasts compete against each other?

women and men should be allowed to compete against each other in any sport.
Gymnastics isnt a sport, so I dont care. When an outcome is based on soemones opinion, then its not a sport

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yep, this happens often in conversations that center around marginalised groups.
The difference is pretty big though and it kind of kills any hope of conversation. Fair and equal aren't the same thing, women athletes should at the very least be paid proportionally to the value of their market that's what is fair. I don't think women have a problem with that, I believe that they have a problem with being treated unfairly.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, I get that. Football isn't based solely on athleticism though, and it isn't an individual sport either. If the likes of Riquelme or Mata can succeed, why can't a woman do it? I would expect that many top women soccer players to be quicker and stronger then Riquelme, for example - and technique isn't connected to a gender (or is it?)

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Yeah, I get that. Football isn't based solely on athleticism though, and it isn't an individual sport either. If the likes of Riquelme or Mata can succeed, why can't a woman do it? I would expect that many top women soccer players to be quicker and stronger then Riquelme, for example - and technique isn't connected to a gender (or is it?)
No woman player will be quicker or stronger than Riquelme, it might seem possible but it just isnt.

JPRouve

Scout
women and men should be allowed to compete against each other in any sport.
Gymnastics isnt a sport, so I dont care. When an outcome is based on soemones opinion, then its not a sport
For quality reasons they shouldn't, for the same reason an heavy weight shouldn't be allowed to compete with fly weights in sports combat. Unless you want to turn the sport into a circus WWE style.

manc exile

Supports
City
For quality reasons they shouldn't, for the same reason an heavy weight shouldn't be allowed to compete with fly weights in sports combat. Unless you want to turn the sport into a circus WWE style.
I dont think it would turn any sport into wwe.
Unless the women were really really good then they wouldnt qualify for the televised portions of competitions. If they did qualify, they would be there on merit and it wouldnt be a joke.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The difference is pretty big though and it kind of kills any hope of conversation. Fair and equal aren't the same thing, women athletes should at the very least be paid proportionally to the value of their market that's what is fair. I don't think women have a problem with that, I believe that they have a problem with being treated unfairly.
Precisely, it's thrown about usually in opposition without much knowledge into the subject at hand.

Ixion

Look at the world record's for any sports, sprinting, distance running, weights, throwing events, swimming, jumping events. Women clearly shouldn't be competing against men, they lack the speed, power, stamina etc. compared to men. Serena Williams would likely lose to every man in the top 100 in tennis. You're unlikely to find a woman that can compete on a football field, it's just human biology.

KN5

I have no problem with United not having a women team and I have no problem with the Glazer thinking that it's not profitable but is it actually the case? Do you think that Woodward, wouldn't find a way to make 5 to 7 millions per year on the back of the women team?

I'm genuinely wondering.
I genuinely don't have any forecasts or anything ofcourse, I'm not personally saying myself that it won't make money, it could, I'm just bringing up the point that it's probably just not in the best interest of the business to make a female team because that's all we can work with, why it hasn't been created. For all I know it could yield billions and I'd be none the wiser, but I'm sure if it was to make money, United would've visited it in some capacity. But again, I don't even know if they currently are.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
People always underestimate the athleticism it takes to be a "technical" player.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Unfortunately, we only have about two-and-a-quarter women on the forum, and this discussion suffers because of it. Obviously, a thick force field of testosterone surrounds the Caf...or maybe women don't register because of Glaston.

manc exile

Supports
City
Look at the world record's for any sports, sprinting, distance running, weights, throwing events, swimming, jumping events. Women clearly shouldn't be competing against men, they lack the speed, power, stamina etc. compared to men. Serena Williams would likely lose to every man in the top 100 in tennis. You're unlikely to find a woman that can compete on a football field, it's just human biology.

While I agree that not many would make it, why are they barred from trying?

JPRouve

Scout
I dont think it would turn any sport into wwe.
Unless the women were really really good then they wouldnt qualify for the televised portions of competitions. If they did qualify, they would be there on merit and it wouldnt be a joke.
Which is my point, it is an excellent way to make women sport disappear. If you apply the same principal to relatively small men like flyweight, they disappear too, for that reason we create categories that allow people to express themselves, based on weight, age or sex. It gives everyone a platform.

Quality control.

manc exile

Supports
City
Which is my point, it is an excellent way to make women sport disappear. If you apply the same principal to relatively small men like flyweight, they disappear too, for that reason we create categories that allow people to express themselves, based on weight, age or sex. It gives everyone a platform.

Quality control.

no discrimination.
any man is allowed to compete up to the level they are good enough for. No one is excluded from trying.

and yes it might mean a loss of elite womens sport in some cases and the loss of elite mens sport in other cases.

Ixion

Do you think Serena Williams should have spent her career playing on the men's tour and not winning a single title? She's clearly better than all the other women.

You would have to go down many levels in football before a woman could compete. Smaller skillful players like Mata still have to be strong to shield the ball and make tackles, and have the stamina to compete with all the other men for 90 minutes. Women would always have a disadvantage no matter how skillful one of them could be, it's just biology.

That said I can picture a woman signing for a man's team one day as a bit of a publicity stunt.

manc exile

Supports
City
Do you think Serena Williams should have spent her career playing on the men's tour and not winning a single title? She's clearly better than all the other women.

You would have to go down many levels in football before a woman could compete. Smaller skillful players like Mata still have to be strong to shield the ball and make tackles, and have the stamina to compete with all the other men for 90 minutes. Women would always have a disadvantage no matter how skillful one of them could be, it's just biology.

That said I can picture a woman signing for a man's team one day as a bit of a publicity stunt.

I dont think she should have, but I think she should have been able to if she had wanted to.
There should be mens events, womens events and mixed events

choose which one or ones you want to eneter

decorativeed

How has this thread turned into a debate on whether women are better than men? It's completely redundant and irrelevant to the topic.

Should Manchester United do the normal thing in top level football and have a women's football team? Yes.

It's not about doing the right thing, or the 'politically correct' thing, it's about doing the normal thing, the sensible thing when it comes to what to do with all the detail youths we bring through the academy, and the competitive thing which the club prides itself on.

Oscie

Why is the onus on men's football club's to produce women's teams? Why can't women's teams come from clubs set up for women's football?

Sexism isn't when a club for men or women doesn't provide a platform for the opposite gender to the one it caters for.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Why is the onus on men's football club's to produce women's teams? Why can't women's teams come from clubs set up for women's football?

Sexism isn't when a club for men or women doesn't provide a platform for the opposite gender to the one it caters for.
Good grief.
Ok judging from what you have written I am going to guess you have never played football for your local club or any small local grassroots club let alone for any semi pro or pro team. If you had actually played you wouldnt have even asked that question. Am I right?????

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
This is the point most so-called SJWs don't get - the mens game has almost two centuries worth of development, and has taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears (literally at times) to get to where it is today. People now expect the women's game to skip all that, and ride on the back of the men's game. If there was true equality, women would start exactly where men started, and try to build their game from that. Anything else would be unjust, and morality doesnt really have anything to do with it.
Close thread, but the feminists wont agree. I don object to having a women's team but I hate the entitlement, the notion that United has to. No they dont, good if they do, not bad if they dont.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
How has this thread turned into a debate on whether women are better than men? It's completely redundant and irrelevant to the topic.

Should Manchester United do the normal thing in top level football and have a women's football team? Yes.

It's not about doing the right thing, or the 'politically correct' thing, it's about doing the normal thing, the sensible thing when it comes to what to do with all the detail youths we bring through the academy, and the competitive thing which the club prides itself on.
Yeah the fact that there is woman's youth setup but, not a senior team is reason enough to bring back the senior team. It makes zero sense to have one but, not the other.

JPRouve

Scout

Clubs don't have sex, United is a football club and it can have several football teams, some may have teenagers and others may have women. Whether the main team is made of men is irrelevant, what is relevant is that if the club is close to its community and wants to represent the community as a whole it will have a women team. Now, that's not an obligation.

As for why a club already existing should think about creating a women team, if it doesn't exists because in general the owners will the means and the passion for Football.

Oscie

Good grief.
Ok judging from what you have written I am going to guess you have never played football for your local club or any small local grassroots club let alone for any semi pro or pro team. If you had actually played you wouldnt have even asked that question. Am I right?????

Yes I've never kicked the ball about with some 17 stone beer bellied undiagnosed alcoholic on a Sunday morning like you, so clearly I'm not an expert on the matter.

Oscie

Clubs don't have sex, United is a football club and it can have several football teams, some may have teenagers and others may have women. Whether the main team is made of men is irrelevant, what is irrelevant is that if the club is close to its community and wants to represent the community as a whole it will have a women team. Now, that's not an obligation.

As for why a club already existing should think about creating a women team, if it doesn't exists because in general the owners will the means and the passion for Football.

If it's a community thing then the lack of disabled or over 50s teams are equally egregious then?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Who says Machester United are supposed to cater for men?

Oscie

Who says Machester United are supposed to cater for men?

The fact it was founded as and has continue to be a men's football club for its entire history.

Are we next going to ask what makes us think the Olympic 100m final has to be on foot?

decorativeed

Try reading the rest of the thread pal.

Most women's teams have been founded separately from men's teams, but many have merged with nearby Football League clubs over the last few decades.

Manchester United had a women's team for a couple of decades and the glazers short-sightedly closed it down. Doing so, they closed the door to our young female academy players and took us out of a competition we should have been involved in as so many of our rival clubs are.

JPRouve

Scout
The fact it was founded as and has continue to be a men's football club for its entire history.

Are we next going to ask what makes us think the Olympic 100m final has to be on foot?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The fact it was founded as and has continue to be a men's football club for its entire history
United currently have a women's youth team, no? Do they not count as part of the club?

And I'm pretty sure most PL clubs have a women's team? Seems like PL clubs don't just cater for men any more, so why should we be different?

wolvored

Some women only want parity when its on their side. There was a campaign a few years back that women wanted the same prize money as men get at Wimbledon tennis. When it was mentioned that that would be fine provided they play equal number of sets the women were up in arms about it. In the end they still got parity prize money though.

decorativeed

Yeah. Except for the decades it did have a women's team.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Some women only want parity when its on their side. There was a campaign a few years back that women wanted the same prize money as men get at Wimbledon tennis. When it was mentioned that that would be fine provided they play equal number of sets the women were up in arms about it. In the end they still got parity prize money though.
They were willing to play 5 sets. And Men and Women play the same number of sets outside of majors.