Why everyone hates United...

JohnnyKills

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-league-fans-liverpool-man-city-a9122526.html

To save you all a click, here are the main conclusions:

1. United fans lorded it over everyone else during the golden years, which is why everyone is revelling in our decline now.
2. United had more resources than anyone else and manipulated the PL's finances to suit themselves.

Personally I don't recognise this analysis at all. United fans, in my match-going experience, are no more or less arrogant than those of any other club and didn't rub people's noses in it when we were winning. Also, despite all our financial power we didn't dominate the transfer market. Shearer, Ferdinand, Sutton, Bergkamp, Zola and Collymore all went to other clubs so it's not like we were hoovering up the best players every year.

Would be interested to hear people's take on this, both United and oppo fans. There may be a separate thread for this but couldn't find one.

evil_geko

If anything, Liverpool fans are much more arrogant from my experience, and it will be more obvious now that they are becoming more successful.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Neither are as bad as Spurs fans would be if they actually won something.
Really? I think we generally mix with you guys really well, Im hurt.

As for United I never hated United the biggest problem I find with SOME United fans was the level of entitlement they seem to have.

Judas

Open to offers
Always been hated, people are loving laughing at us now, rightfully so we're a mess, but I still find when I talk to people Liverpool are more hated these days, mostly because of their fans.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

As for United I never hated United the biggest problem I find with SOME United fans was the level of entitlement they seem to have.
Maybe my opinion is skewed by a particular poster!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Always been hated, people are loving laughing at us now, rightfully so we're a mess, but I still find when I talk to people Liverpool are more hated these days, mostly because of their fans.
Their fans and Klopp, I seriously cannot stand the man.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The biggest reason, is that even when our team is shockingly poor, as per the current mob, we still by far have the most press coverage and interest. Still miles more than City and Liverpool, who have some of their best teams in history.

I dare say that would be bloody annoying for others.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's a sinister fella. Very tall, which a lot don't realise, and when people are as smiley and laughing so much, there's often a level of sheer fakery and menace behind that.

That's right, he's tall and smiles. Sinister :wenger:

djembatheking

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-league-fans-liverpool-man-city-a9122526.html

To save you all a click, here are the main conclusions:

1. United fans lorded it over everyone else during the golden years, which is why everyone is revelling in our decline now.
2. United had more resources than anyone else and manipulated the PL's finances to suit themselves.

Personally I don't recognise this analysis at all. United fans, in my match-going experience, are no more or less arrogant than those of any other club and didn't rub people's noses in it when we were winning. Also, despite all our financial power we didn't dominate the transfer market. Shearer, Ferdinand, Sutton, Bergkamp, Zola and Collymore all went to other clubs so it's not like we were hoovering up the best players every year.

Would be interested to hear people's take on this, both United and oppo fans. There may be a separate thread for this but couldn't find one.
Me and any United supporting mates spent the Fergie years giving it relentlessly to oppo fans , especially scousers , so that is wrong . It is good to be hated cos we were hated cos we were good.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Arsenal fans are the worst imo, I forgot how bad they were until AFTV really kicked off

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The biggest reason, is that even when our team is shockingly poor, as per the current mob, we still by far have the most press coverage and interest. Still miles more than City and Liverpool, who have some of their best teams in history.

I dare say that would be bloody annoying for others.
I don't really care, the reason you get exposure especially now with the internet is the level of your fan base, more clicks means more money so more BS gets written. The Sports media is at an all time low, to the level that most fans know its mostly all lies.

Decomposing In Paris

Honestly, I think this is the right answer. We haven't been a major force since SAF retired, and the complaining was pretty incessant even before that.

mav_9me

Completely disagree with the article's conclusions. And thank you for posting the conclusions, would hate to give them clicks. I think they have gone down in their quality bigtime for a while.

It's just natural to hate a club when it has such huge success and then revel when it fails. That's just normal human reaction IMO.

JohnnyKills

If I was to guess why people really hate United, it's because we were (and are) so corporate.

Back in the 90s we were the first ones to realise the commercial potential of football. The first ones to bring out a new strip every year, the first ones to market things like DVDs properly, the first ones to go on tours to Asia etc.

Every club does it now, but back then it really jarred with the 'family business' mentality most clubs tried to cultivate. United were seen as this capitalist monster, the brutal face of modern football.

It's also a reflection of the times we live in. In the post-Thatcher age a lot of people baulk at anything which seems heartless or commercially driven, and United fit perfectly into that bracket.

Yes some of our fans might be annoying twats but that's not my experience. And no-one seems to hate City even though they're currently hoovering up titles (and, unlike United, they're doing it with someone else's money).

wolvored

Utd have always been hated. Since the seventies anyroad. Leeds, Liverpool, City and West Ham fans especially hated Utd.

Crustanoid

Us arrogant when we were winning all the time? FFS the writer of this clearly doesn’t hear the shit I have to face from City fans nigh on constantly at work.

Inter Yer Nan

We are hated because we are the biggest club, we were also for a long time the best team so we were hatred and now we are the most succesful club so still hated.

We've often been outspent. Blackburn were spending more in the early premier league days, Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle were not exactly not spending and then Chelsea's spending blew us out the water, as did City's. That's kind of fake news to suggest we did a City.

Also, Liverpool fans have always been BY FAR the most arrogant. Arsenal, when they were winning the league had a really smug fan base. More arrogant than our own during that period without a doubt.

Tony247

No one today hates united. If your rivals hate you that means you are a formidable threat to them. These days everyone pity on us...we are bunch of losers for them now. They mock us but they don't hate anymore.

It would be a day of celebration for me when world start hating united again. One day.....one day.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo

I’m not being funny but when you win 13 PL titles it’s not hard to expect them to keep coming. I wouldn’t say we are entitled but we are the most successful PL club in England and with that comes expectation just like it would for any club that dominates the domestic league for years. Try telling that to Bayern or PSG?

Amerifan

No one today hates united. If your rivals hate you that means you are a formidable threat to them. These days everyone pity on us...

It would be a day of celebration for me when world start hating united again. One day.....one day.
The City and Liverpool forums in particular are positively obsessed with United. Success for some is more about us losing than them winning.

Inter Yer Nan

No one today hates united. If your rivals hate you that means you are a formidable threat to them. These days everyone pity on us...we are bunch of losers for them now. They mock us but they don't hate anymore.

Nah, I've hated Liverpool even when they've been shite which has been most the last 25 years.

TrustInOle

I think them points are a load of rubbish aimed at giving the United fanbase a worse reputation. Because we were so dominant for such a period of time, hate was always gonna form in opposition fans, through jealousy.

On the other hand, i dont think any United fan, especially those who came into football during Fergie's reign, can deny a sense of Self Entitlement towards the club, as that was what we became, a team that felt entitled to be the best, and that made us the best.

Not one single opposition fan in England (barring Liverpool) would hesitate to give their left arm for our history and periods of domination.

patty123

Well without given away my old age and don't know yours OP, those two reasons you listed can be applied to Liverpool Fc back in the mid 70's to late 80's. As growing up in Eire back then being an UTD fan was a torrid time due to them winning almost everything year after year and it felted like it would never end. Like most have said it all boils down in most cases to the success we had, as go look on transferleague.co.uk as they give each spend yearly since Epl started.

I know pool fans have an obsession with net spend, but we have only spent 125 million more than pool in the history of the EPL and people are saying we won 13 titles 2 CL and fa cups, league cups just because we spent that little bit more, nah like us over the past 5 season they wasted a lot on rubbish and average players.

debunkology

Man Utd are the best supported club in the country, from Cornwall to Berwick-Upon-Tweed. There is always that fan who supports United, doesn't live in Manchester or has no connections to the city, talks about "they're/he is not on our level" when referring to players or coaches, and never talking about football when there is a loss. That's why United are "hated".

Other than that, Chelsea and Liverpool are more hated in the country. Chelsea because they bought their success, and Liverpool because they have misplaced arrogance. At least United won titles in the 30 years that Liverpool fans didn't. Man Utd were respected under Fergie, but Liverpool fans went to new lows and have never shown class. From Heysel to Saurez.

padr81

Supports
Man City
No.1 - Is true, some of your support are/were arrogant beyond belief but imho not worse than Liverpool. You were cocky at a time when you were amazing, even when they were where you are now they felt they had a god given right to win trophies because "we're Liverpool,5 times etc..". While you are experiencing a fair reflection of what you did to everyone else. I mean the number of times I heard/read "Not arrogant, just better." in your glory days was crazy.

That said with alot of you guys it was said in sport, there was no hostility in this. It was a bit like a big brother making fun of a little brother so to speak, but it was incredibly arrogant at times.
The fact some of your supporters think even now that you are less hated than Chelsea says it all. Chelsea are nowhere near as disliked as United (also nowhere near as liked).

At the time it seemed that you did dwarf the rest of the league financially despite spending little over Liverpool because you were so dominant and you spent huge money on one player instead of spreading your budget around on 3 or 4 like Liverpool. Not something I ever begrudged but something I acknowledged. The fact is you had it, why not flaunt it ala Liverpool with the pools and to a much lower level than Chelsea and than City.

I would say you earned alot of the slagging for reason no.1, but not for reason no.2.

The thing is as you slip further your support acts more like the despised Liverpool support of the 2000s whose sense of entitlement was through the roof "we should win because.. history" and strangely Liverpool's support is becoming more arrogant and full of banter with less hostility like the United support. Essentially a 180 swing. I would add City in with Liverpool atm (went from being bitter to arrogant) but we don't have enough supporters to be relevant in these types of discussions tbh.

I should also add that this is not all and mostly casual supporters on both teams as opposed to the ones who know and actually follow their footy.

JohnnyKills

Well without given away my old age and don't know yours OP, those two reasons you listed can be applied to Liverpool Fc back in the mid 70's to late 80's. As growing up in Eire back then being an UTD fan was a torrid time due to them winning almost everything year after year and it felted like it would never end. Like most have said it all boils down in most cases to the success we had, as go look on transferleague.co.uk as they give each spend yearly since Epl started.

I know pool fans have an obsession with net spend, but we have only spent 125 million more than pool in the history of the EPL and people are saying we won 13 titles 2 CL and fa cups, league cups just because we spent that little bit more, nah like us over the past 5 season they wasted a lot on rubbish and average players.
This. 100% this.

United have never blown anyone away financially. Even under the PLC most of the money was siphoned off in dividends.

During our glory years the likes of Shearer, Sutton, Zola, Bergkamp, Platt, Gascoigne, Henry and Juninho all went elsewhere for mega-money. Apart from a few years, United never outspent their competition until Woodward took over. The idea that we blitzed our rivals is a myth.

Also, as you suggest, everyone loves Liverpool - and they were even more dominant than United during their own golden era.

As I said above, the reason (for me at least) that United are so hated is because we were shamelessly ruthless. During the 90s every other club was coming about with bullshit about romance and tradition, while United made no attempt to hide the fact they wanted to make money and become a corporate monster.

TRUERED89

I think Klopp is a vibrant, energetic and passionate guy, hence why his team mirror him on the pitch.. Hate Pool but quite like Klopp, unfortunately he's with the enemy!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We were the dominant team during the period football exploded. Makes us the most iconic team in England and hence the easiest to dislike.