Why everyone hates United...

The Irish Connection

From my experience working with a city fan and dealing with the public, liverpool are the weirdest and most hated fanbase. I've heard of people dreading liverpool champions league nights working in bars because of them. but there are sound liverpool fans too of course.
city are propaganda, the mythology of pep and corrupt UEFA etc.
spurs are grand. my driving instructor was spurs when we had ronaldo and they robbie Keane and we always got on ok. now they're better than us and the spurs fans I know are still grand. I would love if they could win the league instead of the other 2, but unlikely.
arsenal seem grand but they have an over the top hatred of us.
Chelsea dodgy with their buying the success and racism etc.
United have the prawn sandwich brigade a bit maybe and of course a bit of entitlement and cockiness when we were doing well, but we seem well able to admit our faults unlike liverpool.

Maticmaker

United dominated the first twenty years of the PL as Liverpool had dominated almost the same number of years in the latter part of old first Division. On trophy count alone these two clubs are each others main rivals, plus the industrial historic rivalry between Manchester & Liverpool ( the opening of Ship Canal) also added to the mix. Arsenal had periods of domination in the middle part of the last Century, and the odd PL win, in recent times first Chelsea and now Man City are perhaps entering a period of dominating. Also it looks like Liverpool might come again, winning their first ever PL. If you throw in Tottenham Hotspur as well, whilst not having a big trophy count Spurs have been involved in some marvellous games and played entertaining football over a period stretching back to the mid 60's.

So these 'top six' clubs have loads of enemies, United, Liverpool and possibly Arsenal its because of their history, with Chelsea and Man City its because of their Johnny come lately (loads of cash) status and with Tottenham because of their legacy of playing good football; however its only United who have all three; the history, the cash and the legacy of playing entertaining (theatre of dreams) football, so they are hated the most and especially by the other top five's fans.

AshRK

Arsenal fans are the worst imo, I forgot how bad they were until AFTV really kicked off
I aloways like ARsenal as a club in comparison to Chelsea or LIVERPOOL but my god their fans are irritating as feck. the funny thing they are still butt hurt how fergie owned their best manager.

mattsville

It started with the Busby era, being daring by assembling a highly talented attacking bunch of young players and pioneering English football into Europe against the strong opposition of the English FA, then Munich happened and he rebuilt again and achieved winning the European Cup and it was such a magnificent and romantic story everybody in England and beyond was behind United and our popularity bloomed. When I started following United in the 80's United were the biggest most famous club, this will be denied by oppo fans nowadays, but it is a fact and is there in evidence if you re-watch some of the games from that period, FA Cup finals etc, United are routinely referred to by commentators then as "the most famous football club in the World", this is in a time when liverpool were winning everything, the trophy count was 18 leagues and 4 European Cups to United's 7 leagues and 1 European Cup. The club's popularity has only expanded after what Fergie achieved so the hatred situation is even more prevalent now. Sometimes it is not only about what you achieve but the way you achieve it, history shows that Manchester United pioneered English football into Europe in a daring and romantic way, and in 1985 liverpool got everybody kicked out of it because that horrible evening in Heysel. People do not forget these things.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I don't get this we're not arrogant stuff. We were arrogant even when we were shite. When Liverpool were winning everything we said yeah, but we're the bigger club. They said but we've won blah blah and we said yeah, but we're the bigger club. So they hated us, which was ok because we hated them for winning stuff and being scouse. We are the bigger club, and the best bit is they know it.

matt10000

It is because we are the biggest football club in the UK by a country mile.

Everyone loves to hate us for that reason in the same way that Wales, Scotland hate England and in the same way that Holland and Sweden hate Germany for example. If England are playing Germany, most scottish and welsh will want Germany to win and most dutch
and swede want England to win.

In Germany I wouldnt be surprised if Bayern were most hated and in France PSG.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I’m not being funny but when you win 13 PL titles it’s not hard to expect them to keep coming. I wouldn’t say we are entitled but we are the most successful PL club in England and with that comes expectation just like it would for any club that dominates the domestic league for years. Try telling that to Bayern or PSG?
I wasn’t trying to be
I’m not being funny but when you win 13 PL titles it’s not hard to expect them to keep coming. I wouldn’t say we are entitled but we are the most successful PL club in England and with that comes expectation just like it would for any club that dominates the domestic league for years. Try telling that to Bayern or PSG?
Trust me I get it I’m not here to wind anyone up, but there is a difference between expectations and what you feel you are entitled too. The posts about getting players or managers from other clubs as if it should just happen are pretty annoying and does smack of being purely elitist. I get why you 5ink it but football has changed a lot in the last 5 - 10 years. Again I’m only saying this because it’s what was asked in the OP.

JohnnyKills

I wasn’t trying to be

Trust me I get it I’m not here to wind anyone up, but there is a difference between expectations and what you feel you are entitled too. The posts about getting players or managers from other clubs as if it should just happen are pretty annoying and does smack of being purely elitist. I get why you 5ink it but football has changed a lot in the last 5 - 10 years. Again I’m only saying this because it’s what was asked in the OP.
Fair point. Think it's reasonable to assume top managers will come here though, given our history and fanbase. After all Liverpool snared Klopp, didn't they.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It is because we are the biggest football club in the UK by a country mile.

Everyone loves to hate us for that reason in the same way that Wales, Scotland hate England and in the same way that Holland and Sweden hate Germany for example. If England are playing Germany, most scottish and welsh will want Germany to win and most dutch
and swede want England to win.

In Germany I wouldnt be surprised if Bayern were most hated and in France PSG.
Believe me mate Scotland, Wales and Ireland *hate* England for many other legitimate reasons that’s England just being rich and successful.

JohnnyKills

That’s what puzzles me, Pep passed, Klopp passed, I don’t get it.
Sounds like Woodward dropped the ball on Klopp with some bizarre pitch about Disneyland.

As for Guardiola... City basically built the club for him and we don't know how much he's being paid. The recent football leaks suggest Mancini got 9 million euros in undisclosed bonuses. If that's the case, god knows how much Guardiola has received.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Sounds like Woodward dropped the ball on Klopp with some bizarre pitch about Disneyland.

As for Guardiola... City basically built the club for him and we don't know how much he's being paid. The recent football leaks suggest Mancini got 9 million euros in undisclosed bonuses. If that's the case, god knows how much Guardiola has received.
I think Allegri is the on you need if you do change, you need someone in my opinion who has the the credentials to take you on. If Poch did go to United I would take him if there was any chance he would be interested.

JohnnyKills

I think Allegri is the on you need if you do change, you need someone in my opinion who has the the credentials to take you on. If Poch did go to United I would take him if there was any chance he would be interested.
Not sold on Allegri tbh. We've been burned by the mourinho experience and it seems like he's cut from the same cloth.

As for Poch - the main issue will be the structure we offer him. We're basically a business with a football club attached at the moment and it's easy to see why that would be off-putting. But United is still a big step up in terms of the size of the club.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.

British people love to hate success. We are the most successful team in British football, so people love to hate us. Simple as that.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not sold on Allegri tbh. We've been burned by the mourinho experience and it seems like he's cut from the same cloth.

As for Poch - the main issue will be the structure we offer him. We're basically a business with a football club attached at the moment and it's easy to see why that would be off-putting. But United is still a big step up in terms of the size of the club.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.
No problem, I do feel United fans feel they are hated more than they are.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
British people love to hate success. We are the most successful team in British football, so people love to hate us. Simple as that.
I don’t think that’s true, as a United forum you have a massive following of non United fans, and to be honest it make the Caf a much better place. I’d much prefer you winning titles than City or Chelsea for example, I could even admire Liverpool if it wasn’t for their manager.

Wilt

Success brings contempt (the good old days).

However, nowadays we’re not so much hated as more of a laughing stock.

I’d love to back to being hated again.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
We didn't lord over everyone enough when we were good. Should have done it more.

Nowadays there's an open top bus for any trophy win. We only seemed to do it when it was a special on; the treble, the CL and league double in 2008, Fergie's final season...

JohnnyKills

Yep. Klopp was much loved in this country at one point, but even people who enjoyed him at first when he went to Liverpool have tired of his antics.
Don't hate him but it does seem like his whacky accountant persona allows him to get away with murder. That in the fact that the media loves Liverpool.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We didn't lord over everyone enough when we were good. Should have done it more.

Nowadays there's an open top bus for any trophy win. We only seemed to do it when it was a special on; the treble, the CL and league double in 2008, Fergie's final season...
Liverpool had a ticker tape parade when Carragher injured Nani.

JohnnyKills

No.1 - Is true, some of your support are/were arrogant beyond belief but imho not worse than Liverpool. You were cocky at a time when you were amazing, even when they were where you are now they felt they had a god given right to win trophies because "we're Liverpool,5 times etc..". While you are experiencing a fair reflection of what you did to everyone else. I mean the number of times I heard/read "Not arrogant, just better." in your glory days was crazy.

That said with alot of you guys it was said in sport, there was no hostility in this. It was a bit like a big brother making fun of a little brother so to speak, but it was incredibly arrogant at times.
The fact some of your supporters think even now that you are less hated than Chelsea says it all. Chelsea are nowhere near as disliked as United (also nowhere near as liked).

At the time it seemed that you did dwarf the rest of the league financially despite spending little over Liverpool because you were so dominant and you spent huge money on one player instead of spreading your budget around on 3 or 4 like Liverpool. Not something I ever begrudged but something I acknowledged. The fact is you had it, why not flaunt it ala Liverpool with the pools and to a much lower level than Chelsea and than City.

I would say you earned alot of the slagging for reason no.1, but not for reason no.2.

The thing is as you slip further your support acts more like the despised Liverpool support of the 2000s whose sense of entitlement was through the roof "we should win because.. history" and strangely Liverpool's support is becoming more arrogant and full of banter with less hostility like the United support. Essentially a 180 swing. I would add City in with Liverpool atm (went from being bitter to arrogant) but we don't have enough supporters to be relevant in these types of discussions tbh.

I should also add that this is not all and mostly casual supporters on both teams as opposed to the ones who know and actually follow their footy.
Yeah, I think United and City fans are allowed to give banter to one another. We're neighbours, it's part of our heritage and something we all enjoy. City fans have every right to sing the park the bus song now, just as we used to sing 'this is how it feels' when we were on top.

Just don't get why teams like Sunderland and West Ham hate us though. What have we ever done to them?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Everyone hates the biggest and the baddest and United is in fact (maybe not in recent times but as a whole as club as an institution) The BIGGEST and the BADDEST club in the land and that will stay that way until someone knocks them off there perch;)

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
It’s a truth universally acknowledged that everyone hates a winner, especially if they win consistently

Now that Man United are, shall we say less than successful, the hatred is somewhat less than it was.

Better to be hated for success than pitied for failure.

Where you lot are now is a question you might wish to reflect on

AFC NimbleThumb

Well without given away my old age and don't know yours OP, those two reasons you listed can be applied to Liverpool Fc back in the mid 70's to late 80's. As growing up in Eire back then being an UTD fan was a torrid time due to them winning almost everything year after year and it felted like it would never end. Like most have said it all boils down in most cases to the success we had, as go look on transferleague.co.uk as they give each spend yearly since Epl started.

I know pool fans have an obsession with net spend, but we have only spent 125 million more than pool in the history of the EPL and people are saying we won 13 titles 2 CL and fa cups, league cups just because we spent that little bit more, nah like us over the past 5 season they wasted a lot on rubbish and average players.
This is something I didn’t know. Will be reading more into this.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
United fans weren’t arrogant when you were doing well OP? Of course you were and of course it’s why people hate you. Same reason people are starting to remember why Liverpool fans are a pain and I have no doubt some people are starting to dislike city fans.

As well as that, coming from Manchester, every time I left the city I couldn’t get away from you lot. It’s always amused me that people on here call new Chelsea and City fans glory hunters, whilst having locations all over the world. Of course more people support you when you’re good, you get more coverage, play better football etc. But just as fans on here call new oil fans glory hunters, that’s exactly how I felt hearing about United's amazing global support whilst watching City get smashed under Pearce. I was forced to support this shower of shit because I was born up the road but all you plastics from London and Birmingham and Cornwall and Dublin get to support United in a champions league final? Bull. It’s the same reason I really don’t care if City’s support grows now, I’ll feel the same way about them as I do about you guys.

And financially yes you did dominate. And you did rig the game in your favour when Tv money changed. But I didn’t realistically care about that as a kid when my hatred of United really became established. I just find it rich nowadays when you complain about other clubs outspending you.

Jericholyte2

I’ve been getting so much shit recently at work. Some are Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea fans but I then get a ragtag group of Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Newcastle and other fans who have zero links against United who go above and beyond any of the other team whenever they lose.

I end up counting to 300 in 4s not so bit at their jibes all the time.

AFC NimbleThumb

Some ridiculously salty oppos fans have jumped into this thread with both feet :lol: Here’s the thread you’ve been waiting for gents, let us know how you really feel :rolleyes:

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I deeply regret NOT lording it over rival fans when we were successful given the amount of shit we’ve had over the last 6 years - I always tried to be a good winner because I remembered so clearly how fecking unbearable the scousers were.

IF we ever make it back to the top again then there are plenty who will be getting back in spades.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
I deeply regret NOT lording it over rival fans when we were successful given the amount of shit we’ve had over the last 6 years - I always tried to be a good winner because I remembered so clearly how fecking unbearable the scousers were.

IF we ever make it back to the top again then there are plenty who will be getting back in spades.
Hahaha you’re a victim of your fellow fans actions and when (if ;) ) you get good again So will I be if I ever run into you in a pub.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Hahaha you’re a victim of your fellow fans actions and when (if ;) ) you get good again So will I be if I ever run into you in a pub.
:lol:

It’s mostly the people I actually know rather than randoms, just banter of course but I regret not engaging with them on that score when I had something to say in reply.

Doubt I’ll have any answer for a long fecking time regardless...

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
All successful clubs are hated.

Also United is very mainstream. A lot of time someone asks me if I watch football (soccer here) and I tell them I support United they just roll their eyes as if I'm just a mainstream big named club fan and have shallow knowledge of the sport.

Ironically, I don't think even the worst glory hunters are as bad as the hipster Americans who will randomly support Totenham or Everton just to seem different and "hey man I don't support a club just because its mainstream!" I mean you're supporting a club based on what people think of you which is even worse!