Why has nothing happened yet? | Things are now happening

Saffron

I'm not remotely surprised by the lack of activity so far, our recruitment is absolutely shambolic, has been for years, and I've seen no evidence to suggest that this Summer would be any different.

All the bold talk about rebuilding the squad and clearing the deadwood....
Yet Jones & Smalling are given new long term contracts and we STILL haven't even shifted Darmian..!!

Couple of months ago, Ole publicly announced we would "be surprised to find out how many agents have been in touch with Manchester United to say their players would love to be a part of the club"
So where are these many players, who are they and why have we signed not one of them?
That doesn’t even ring true to me. Why would the Raiolas of the world get in touch with United mid-season saying that? It would only weaken their position at the negotiating table.

Sounds a bit like ”I have a girlfriend, but she goes to another school so you can’t meet her”.

Smores

That doesn’t even ring true to me. Why would the Raiolas of the world get in touch with United mid-season saying that? It would only weaken their position at the negotiating table.

Sounds a bit like ”I have a girlfriend, but she goes to another school so you can’t meet her”.
To start bidding wars, we're used every summer and we never learn.

Saffron

To start bidding wars, we're used every summer and we never learn.
Yeah that makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is Ole taking it at face value apparently. How gullible can you be?

Smores

Yeah that makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is Ole taking it at face value apparently. How gullible can you be?
He's just a positive message guy, the same as Poch. You have to take what both of them say with a pinch of salt.

Like Poch did last summer if we don't get many targets i guarantee Ole will claim it was a deliberate choice.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's just a throw away comment in pre/post match conference when he was asked whether club can attract players without CL. He can't come out and say "No we are fecked, every big player has rejected our offer".

That's just generic bs you hear in interviews.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Anyone not worried yet, will be eventually.
Fully expecting 1 month from now there will be holding "crisis" talks between Solskjaer and Woodward because of our failure to do anything this window

sp_107

I have this feeling of missing Lille's Pepe will cost us and it will be like missing Sane few years back.

Why can't we move forward?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Isn't that pretty much what Liverpool was doing? Selling Coutinho while buying the likes of former PL reject Salah, relegated Robertson, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Matip etc.; Even VVD was a mid-table player by definition. All while keeping "donkeys" like Henderson, Milner etc. Bar maybe VVD we had quite a laugh on here regarding their signings over the years. Well, they're CL winners now, plus as close as it gets in the league. I'm not laughing anymore, are you?

They all had the right mentality/skillset for Klopps system and in the end it worked out. Sure, it is not the norm for this approach to succeed, but it happens and the possibility should not be dismissed like that. Especially since A) no one really knows how Ole works best yet and B) our "top player" signings didn't work out all that well recently, to say the least ;)
Difference is they have Klopp. I have yet to be convinced by Ole. I think we are trying to follow the same route, but it might come down to how they are developed and who has the better judgement on who is better than their current club.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Seems like most players are off on holiday right now which is slowing the market down. Given the internationals at the start of the month, it's resulted in a very slow market. Things will pick up in a week or two.

hocane

I don't think Solskjaer will attract top players such as De Ligt, Sancho and Koulibaly.

Think we will have to settle with 2nd tier players like Maguire and Zaha.

soaphroniscuss

Because Ed doesn't have an effective tap-em-up game, which is understandable given his background.

Patrick08

Seems like most players are off on holiday right now which is slowing the market down. Given the internationals at the start of the month, it's resulted in a very slow market. Things will pick up in a week or two.
It's always the case with us every season.

sp_107

Pepe or Sancho?
Missing either of them just because we have Mata, Lingard and Martial would cost us dearly.

Having said that if I keep one player as a backup out of all the names mentioned on redcafe to be off loaded It would be Mata. I think with speedy technical forward players around him, he can still dictate the show in number 10 role.

AnotherDayIsToday

Nothing will happen because OGS is happy and thinks he have a bunch of very good players already. And all they need is a few high fives an a claps on their shoulders.

United should act as Real Madrid when they are down by a new central line with established world class players.

You see there is a quick fix and it is called money!

Last edited by a moderator:

Utd for ever

There could be an explanation as to why Utd are not spending much in the transfer market, maybe there is some truth to the rumours the other month about a Saudi takeover, they are not going to spend £200, million if there is some interest about buying club, just a thought.

Moriarty

I keep forgetting not everybody is in England with SkySports on in the background 24 hours a day.
I tell a lie, I would probably recognize Sullivan from his trial back in the 1980s when he was accused of living off immoral earnings. I'm sure he's changed since though.

ryansgirl

Nothing will happen because OGS is happy and thinks he have a bunch of very good players already. And all they need is a few high fives an a claps on their shoulders.

United should act as Real Madrid when they are down by a new central line with established world class players.

You see there is a quick fix and it is called money!
Absolutely not to just about everything you've written. Ole is in the bind of trying to attract names that would have at least considered coming under Sir Alex. Finishing so far behind the Premier League champions and not offering Champions League football are big obstacles. Real Madrid are a different kind of club, players enjoy the conditions in Spain especially those from South America.

Manchester United seems willing to pay but the foreign players we want won't come to the club in this under-achieving period. Even a top 4 finish with guaranteed CL football might have been enough along with the money. Ole isn't stupid - he's one of football's intelligent people and he is not going to blather on publicly about anything. The killers are the low table position for Manchester United, no CL football for top young players to showcase their talents, 6 or so years of mediocrity.

All the talk of Pogba going doesn't help at all. Top players, potentially top players want to play with the best. Pogba is one of our draw-cards and if we let him go, heaven help us.

Steven-UK

As Einstein said: "doing the same things over, and over and expecting different results is nothing short of insanity"

He must has been thinking of Manchester United Football Club when he wrote that legendary quote.

Yet another difficult season ahead, folks...

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
As Einstein said: "doing the same things over, and over and expecting different results is nothing short of insanity"

He must has been thinking of Manchester United Football Club when he wrote that legendary quote.

Yet another difficult season ahead, folks...
Eintstein never said that.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Biggest worry is that none of the deadwood are being linked with anywhere. Bailly and Rojo should have been told last season they were free to go in summer and have had contact with clubs interested in them, there's hardly been a whisper about them.

If you look at our squad size it's obvious something has got to give somewhere, and so far it looks as though it'll be on the incoming side.

DDG/Romero/Grant
Young/Dalot
Bailly/Lindelof
Smalling/Jones
Shaw/Rojo
Matic/McTominay
Pogba/Pereira
Fred/ D. James
Lingard/ Mata
Rashford/Lukaku
Martial/Sanchez

22 spots filled already add in Darmian and we've got 2 spots spare without selling anyone.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
We're not as big or as popular as we think we are. I reckon a lot of the bigger targets we're after (if any) would prefer to play in many other teams.

Jezpeza

I doubt much is actually happening. I doubt we’ve even bid for Wan Bissaka, even though i want us to thats just sky clickbait. People buy this idea that sky sports have these all knowing moles everywhere. Its just a twonk in an office making up chinese whispers. remember how we had bid for riquelme every window? Then sneidjer? Then spent last summer after Arnautovic? Louis Van Gaal going for Feghouli who ended up at West Ham and looked like a conference player no one should ever have sniffed at?

I think we should stop getting excited at the rumours and just sit back and wait to be disappointed again. Madrid have already got their ducks in a row. If our hierarchy gave one theyd have done something similar

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It really is going to be Smalling, Jones and Young in defence again isn't it?
Actually Lindelof was the most played CB last season. But meh.. it doesn't fit the narrative.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Serious question. Do we really have the money? I am starting to question that general opinion how we can spend 200-300mil if we want.

eltigreFalcao

Ole's got nothing to do with the lack of activity. Those who say that he's happy with the squad are just simply fast talking bs-iters. I think he's just coming to the understanding that the board is incompetent and that MU is no candyland no more. We cannot sign because we dont have good negotiators and obviously we lack a proper future plan for the sporting side. We're poorly run, and its not a matter of OGS. Of course he'll come out and try to steady the ship from the discourse because that's his mentality and he's right about it. The real work will need to be made in the training ground with whatever squad they make available to him (and to us).

red4ever 79

Ole's got nothing to do with the lack of activity. Those who say that he's happy with the squad are just simply fast talking bs-iters. I think he's just coming to the understanding that the board is incompetent and that MU is no candyland no more. We cannot sign because we dont have good negotiators and obviously we lack a proper future plan for the sporting side. We're poorly run, and its not a matter of OGS. Of course he'll come out and try to steady the ship from the discourse because that's his mentality and he's right about it. The real work will need to be made in the training ground with whatever squad they make available to him (and to us).
Did you ever think that players might not want to play for Ole? It's just a question, I am not saying they dont. However players might have second thoughts about playing for a Manager who is not very experienced.

passing-wind

I don't think Solskjaer will attract top players such as De Ligt, Sancho and Koulibaly.

Think we will have to settle with 2nd tier players like Maguire and Zaha.
I think this is going over people's heads, there's every possibility we are struggling for targets because the players have no interest under his management.

eltigreFalcao

Did you ever think that players might not want to play for Ole? It's just a question, I am not saying they dont. However players might have second thoughts about playing for a Manager who is not very experienced.
Yes. You could argue that. Players fancy the fancy managers and that is understandable. But to put the blame on Ole not being a fancy manager/not having a lenghty carreer or a bulky trophy cabinet is being a little simplist.

Ok, lets asume that not one player fancy playing under Ole. Would that be enough to understand the lack of transfer activity? We should have a lot more arguments to talk about the incompetence of the board. Should't it be their job to 'sell' the club, the project and the workplace to the incoming players? Better take a weight off of Ole's shoulder and let him do his job the best he can. If he proves he isn't good then we should be looking at his flaws and his incompetence. I dont really think its about time for that.

sp_107

Wondering is it that difficult to buy some players from the below list when we really needed to rebuild ?

3 from

Ndombele/Barella/Bruno/Maddison/Rabiot/Aouar/Tielemans/VandeBeek.

And 2 from

Pepe/Richarlison/Sancho/Felix/Hirving

Another 2 from

AWB/Cancelo/Max/Maguire/Skriniar/Toby?

When we can get close to 300 millions by selling Lukaku/Pogba/Fred/Matic/Perrera/Baily/Jones/Rojo/Darmian

So the net spend could be still less than 200 millions.what is stopping us to act?

By the way it's a disgrace Pogba going public and Madrid starting with a cheeky 90m bid. I think Riola is behind that so he can maximise his profits from Madrid.what do you think ?

What about Alexis for numbe 9 role by signing some quality wingers and midfielders ?