Why has nothing happened yet? | Things are now happening

BlueHaze

Here we go I'm the first one to officially enter panic mode. I said on the first page that if by 20th nothing happened yet I'll start to worry and I can't see us doing much business until Thursday. I will probably be made fun of but there is absolutely no legitimate reason as of why we are heading into the final two weeks of June having only signed Daniel James. Especially if you take into consideration how our season went. We needed to make a statement that we are going to be back in business quickly and let's be honest here time is our enemy.

All the concrete news we've gotten so far is that we are in for AWB which is good but a deal is far from done. It also seems likely Pogba will end up leaving and we have no idea when and how much time will be left to find a decent replacement. No reliable news of any solid CB coming in yet, still dreadful options at RW, still many question marks around the midfield and attack, still a possibility De Gea will go. Take all of these things into consideration and add to the fact that the ones responsible for making sure we have a good window is a relatively unknown manager along with Ed, one of the most clueless people in his position and there is plenty of reasons to think this will end up another disastrous window. 17th of June, I know, but I'm worried.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I'm still not really clear what point you're making? :)

Do you believe that the Glazers and Ed Woodward are fully committed to doing whatever it takes to overhaul Man City and put us right back at the very top of the tree? Answer honestly.
Don't worry about it mate, I haven't got a clue what i'm talking about half of the time either ;)

I wouldn't imagine it's a 24 hour a day obsession with the Glazers and Ed, and it's obviously not as important to them as it is the fans but I don't believe for a second they are just happy plodding along hoping to finish in the top four to keep the extra pennies coming in either.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Here we go I'm the first one to officially enter panic mode. I said on the first page that if by 20th nothing happened yet I'll start to worry and I can't see us doing much business until Thursday. I will probably be made fun of but there is absolutely no legitimate reason as of why we are heading into the final two weeks of June having only signed Daniel James. Especially if you take into consideration how our season went. We needed to make a statement that we are going to be back in business quickly and let's be honest here time is our enemy.

All the concrete news we've gotten so far is that we are in for AWB which is good but a deal is far from done. It also seems likely Pogba will end up leaving and we have no idea when and how much time will be left to find a decent replacement. No reliable news of any solid CB coming in yet, still dreadful options at RW, still many question marks around the midfield and attack, still a possibility De Gea will go. Take all of these things into consideration and add to the fact that the ones responsible for making sure we have a good window is a relatively unknown manager along with Ed, one of the most clueless people in his position and there is plenty of reasons to think this will end up another disastrous window. 17th of June, I know, but I'm worried.
I think it's relatively safe to say that there will be unresolved issues in our team come next season. The RW spot probably won't get filled as we'll wait for Sancho. I'm not convinced we'll have a great midfield after the summer either, especially if Pogba goes as i can't see us signing two or three there. Then we'll probably still have Sanchez as nobody wants him and Lukaku will be too expensive for potential suitors.

Andi Latte

It depends what direction we are going in. You cannot sell your top players and replace them with mid-table or lower division players and expect to improve. They might want to improve as players and run about a lot and have heart, but if they don't have the talent it will not matter. It is Ok going young, but you need experience in there to guide them and we do not have one player who I would trust to guide youngsters in the right way. I know it will take a while, but if we fall out of the European places next season it will take a long time for us to come back. We need top 6 at the very minimum, but really CL is a necessity. I just think the top players who would help see other clubs as a better option for their careers.
Isn't that pretty much what Liverpool was doing? Selling Coutinho while buying the likes of former PL reject Salah, relegated Robertson, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Matip etc.; Even VVD was a mid-table player by definition. All while keeping "donkeys" like Henderson, Milner etc. Bar maybe VVD we had quite a laugh on here regarding their signings over the years. Well, they're CL winners now, plus as close as it gets in the league. I'm not laughing anymore, are you?

They all had the right mentality/skillset for Klopps system and in the end it worked out. Sure, it is not the norm for this approach to succeed, but it happens and the possibility should not be dismissed like that. Especially since A) no one really knows how Ole works best yet and B) our "top player" signings didn't work out all that well recently, to say the least ;)

Tarrou

Doesn’t look like we’re getting the big summer clear out of deadwood we were hoping for does it?

Look at Real Madrid though. That’s a club where everyone from board to manager has a clear focus to be the best team in the world. It’s the same at Barca, Bayern, City and PSG.

Our main focus is to be profitable.

rpg

We will play with academy players to save on transfer fee, we play with rookie manager to save wages and we will aim for top 4 again next season.

SaintMuppet

Pardon the terrible pun but:

‘These glazers seem incapable of fixing any windows of any kind’

Luke1995

I suspect that with the rise in power from agents the club is unwilling to pay most of the money the transfer targets ask for. They don't just ask for a big salary, they want the club to pay the agent(!) too...

SER19

Be a bit worried if some things don't gain pace this week. Still not panic mode of course but with Woodward overseeing things I'm starting with a lower threshold.

All good and well to point at city and Liverpool but they simply don't need to same surgery we do. The longer a window goes without action the less control you have of buying players that actually complement one another rather than just a bunch of players

Morpheus 7

As other posters have said we need to see movement this week, in either direction. People need to stop chatting about activity of other clubs in the league, we finished 6th with players leaving like Valencia and Herrera before the season ended. Liverpool and City don't have potentially there first choice keeper, midfielder and record signing striker openly speaking about leaving. United need to get there finger out and close deals. Nowhere to hide this summer for that tool Woodward. It's mid June and if we want to give ourselves off to a solid start we need our core signings in pre season. No excuses, what have the board and Woodward been doing since January. I understand no Champions league may have affected targets but it was never a given we would get it. Negotiating with AWB when we have a clear run. Pay the money and get the deals done, they spent feck all last year and are paying the price. Can't understand how they can continue like this, it's simply bad business.

Heardy

I think it's relatively safe to say that there will be unresolved issues in our team come next season. The RW spot probably won't get filled as we'll wait for Sancho. I'm not convinced we'll have a great midfield after the summer either, especially if Pogba goes as i can't see us signing two or three there. Then we'll probably still have Sanchez as nobody wants him and Lukaku will be too expensive for potential suitors.
We’ll wait for Sancho? What for what? If we want him why wouldn’t we go for him this season?

Hawks2008

Doesn’t look like we’re getting the big summer clear out of deadwood we were hoping for does it?

Look at Real Madrid though. That’s a club where everyone from board to manager has a clear focus to be the best team in the world. It’s the same at Barca, Bayern, City and PSG.

Pretty much. We call ourselves the "biggest club in the world", but look at Madrid and then it proves how absurd that statement is.

Coops73

One reason nothing has happened yet could be that the Glazers are looking to sell the club. They don’t want to shell out on players/DOF when they’re in the process of making a shit load of cash.

Clutching at straws?

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"

We lost that desire after Ronaldo left & replaced with Valencia & Fergie left and replaced with Moyes.

That would never happen at any other top club

Josep Dowling

I have come to conclusion that Solskjaer can’t be a draw for the top players.

Manchester United is a big name in football yet we are one of the big clubs that struggles to attract the best names. Even when we qualify for the Champions League and invariably offer higher wages. We obtained the likes of Zlatan and Pogba because Mourinho was our manager not because of the club.

It was so important for the club to wait and pick the right man and after a lovely run of the form Woodward made a terrible decision in employing Ole. A well run big club would have gone all out for Pochettino. Even if we paid Spurs compensation at the time that’s a better signing than any player this summer.

We need a forward thinking manager with modern tactics. So far we have gone for managers who were 10 years out of date tactically. This isn’t a quick fix, it will take time but having the right manager can change everything. It took Klopp 2 years before things started clicking at Liverpool but you could see what he was trying to do after just a few months. I don’t trust Ole to turn it around. His tactics are very basics and his transfer strategy is not improving the team. Buying British won’t work unless you buy the very best British players, which we are not doing.

Enigma_87

You know who
One reason nothing has happened yet could be that the Glazers are looking to sell the club. They don’t want to shell out on players/DOF when they’re in the process of making a shit load of cash.

Clutching at straws?
In that case they should be doing the opposite to drive the value up. Why overpay for a club that is on downward spiral?

wolvored

If we don't get it right this time and get players in, we will be waiting an awful long time for Sancho. That is a non runner imo as long as we don't get too 4

wolvored

Clutching at straws?
If we don't get the required players we need this summer, I would say this is a strong possibility we will have new owners in the next 12 months

DRM

Yep, we're screwed alight. It's going to be one shitty season again! :rolleyes:

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Is there another club that’s as bad at getting transfers sorted as United? Either in or out. It’s laughable.

pocco

loco
We’ll wait for Sancho? What for what? If we want him why wouldn’t we go for him this season?
I agree, i think we could have got him this summer if we convinced him that we're heading in the right direction. Instead we're letting the circus unfold again and are moving at a glacial pace. For that reason it sounds like he's wary of moving just yet.

pocco

loco
If we don't get it right this time and get players in, we will be waiting an awful long time for Sancho. That is a non runner imo as long as we don't get too 4
I hope you're wrong but that will probably be the case. I expected us to be quick out of the blocks with deals agreed but it looks like we're still shopping around to see who's available.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
At the moment we don't look like we'll have made the necessary changes to improve the squad from August last year, and at least on paper we may have gone backwards if Pogba/De Gea/Lukaku are out or disgruntled to the point that they cannot produce their best.

The positives for me are that James is in, hopefully AWB will be signed, our youngsters are another year older and hopefully ready to start getting good senior minutes and we have a manager who I'm sure will back them. I'm getting closer to the point where anyone who isn't hungry , as in just-come-off-hunger-strike ravenous, to prove themselves at Manchester United can feck off and let those who have the stomach for this fight have a go. I don't want to sell our best and most talented outfield player but Ole needs everyone in the dressing room pulling in the same direction, we're not good enough at present to tolerate factions and overlarge egos in the squad.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm not remotely surprised by the lack of activity so far, our recruitment is absolutely shambolic, has been for years, and I've seen no evidence to suggest that this Summer would be any different.

All the bold talk about rebuilding the squad and clearing the deadwood....
Yet Jones & Smalling are given new long term contracts and we STILL haven't even shifted Darmian..!!

Couple of months ago, Ole publicly announced we would "be surprised to find out how many agents have been in touch with Manchester United to say their players would love to be a part of the club"
So where are these many players, who are they and why have we signed not one of them?

Coops73

In that case they should be doing the opposite to drive the value up. Why overpay for a club that is on downward spiral?
Or maybe there’s already some sort of deal in place and they just don’t want to spend anymore money than they have to.

Just speculating obviously as I have no idea how these sort of things work especially as there are shareholders and you’d think they’d be obliged to be “in the loop” so to speak though this A class/B class share thing or whatever it is may mean they don’t legally need to be?

Coops73

If we don't get the required players we need this summer, I would say this is a strong possibility we will have new owners in the next 12 months
Would you take that? If it meant a very poor season but with the club then being sold to some extremely rich fecker who will invest heavily and well into the club a year or 2 from now?

Enigma_87

You know who
Or maybe there’s already some sort of deal in place and they just don’t want to spend anymore money than they have to.

Just speculating obviously as I have no idea how these sort of things work especially as there are shareholders and you’d think they’d be obliged to be “in the loop” so to speak though this A class/B class share thing or whatever it is may mean they don’t legally need to be?
Nah we would've heard about it until now. I've been part of PMI in the past and it usually takes around a good year and a half for larger companies at the very best scenario. We would probably know in a good half an year in advance if there are talks being held or at least we will have strong rumors of that happening. United is a large corporation and can't really be held in secret for long, especially since it is PLC.

The deal(whatever will be) will most probably result in equity or stocks transfers so investment should be kept during the transfer of equity phase. It's not like they will receive the money in cash and run away with it.

Can't see it happening soon, unfortunately.

AaronRedDevil

It feels like the Owners are being very stingy with the money. We assume United have 200m to spend and plus the money if Lukaku and Pogba leaves. Which could put them 340m+. That's probably not the case since 50m is too much and seems to be taking way too damn long. I'm guessing the only money united are spending is from the Pogba, Lukaku deal. If there is a deal to be made.

Coops73

Nah we would've heard about it until now. I've been part of PMI in the past and it usually takes around a good year and a half for larger companies at the very best scenario. We would probably know in a good half an year in advance if there are talks being held or at least we will have strong rumors of that happening. United is a large corporation and can't really be held in secret for long, especially since it is PLC.

The deal(whatever will be) will most probably result in equity or stocks transfers so investment should be kept during the transfer of equity phase. It's not like they will receive the money in cash and run away with it.

Can't see it happening soon, unfortunately.
Fair enough, obviously there has been a few rumours regarding the Saudis, the last reports I read was that the Glazers were looking to take a more active role in United and the Saudis had put it out there that they weren’t interested. Could this not be the opening salvoes between the negotiating parties to see who flinches first?

Enigma_87

You know who
Fair enough, obviously there has been a few rumours regarding the Saudis, the last reports I read was that the Glazers were looking to take a more active role in United and the Saudis had put it out there that they weren’t interested. Could this not be the opening salvoes between the negotiating parties to see who flinches first?
If you mean Saudis buying in without control I doubt it will happen like this. They need control as Glazers and Saudi visions IMO are totally different. Can't see a merger with a shared board it will create rift and will not be good for both parties.

We've seen with Arsenal gradually buying in stakes and also with United in the past, but when it comes to Saudis can't see the same approach. And if they want to get control right away that would mean lengthy negotiations as United is not Chelsea, PSG or smaller club - it will require substantial investment and every penny counts when negotiating equity and stocks.

Debt is not really an issue for United - most large corporations operate on debt as it's more profitable in the end, especially considering paying out taxes and dividends, so keep spending money(even through debt) shouldn't be an issue for the Glazers, especially since United is highly profitable corporation.

wolvored

Would you take that? If it meant a very poor season but with the club then being sold to some extremely rich fecker who will invest heavily and well into the club a year or 2 from now?
I would. I would take finishing 10th next season if it guaranteed that

Kemizee

The club failed to get the main targets (De Ligt / Koulibaly and Sancho) for the main two positions we needed to strengthen, and are now having to start negotiations from scratch with secondary targets.
Also Pogba wanting to leave probably gives the club more headache.

I could be wrong but it doesn’t look like the club is in control of who we are going to get.
Sorry but I hear things like this and it gets me extremely upset. De Ligt, Koulibaly and Sancho don't fecking live in the moon. They have people, family, representatives and agents who can air their views. How freaking difficult is it to test the waters and get their opinions on whether they would like to join Man United or at least appeal to them both with or without Champions League football? It may bot be formal but you can't tell me that those guys cannot be reached out to by a club as humongous as Man United. We as a club should have known what they think of us individually way before now instead of running around in circles all summer and looking like mugs. I feel the aspect of the player being willing to join should always be the first thing settled before we even proceed to discuss transfer fees, image rights etc....

As for the secondary targets, why do we have to start from the scratch? By now, shouldn't they have remotely been informed of apparent interest from us? Do our transfer guys not know that your second options should always be on stand-by just incase primary targets fail? We over-complicate transfers and make them akin to building atomic bombs. Just dunno why but I believe all these information should be at the club's fingertips thereby minimizing our uncertainty levels.