Why has nothing happened yet? | Things are now happening

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Apparently according to certain posters we aren't allowed to make comparisons with Real Madrid because we are not gonna play them next season. Our league rivals have done nothing so far so everything is chill.
Maybe it is because some of our rivals are not in the mess we are in and others do not have the aspirations this club should have.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Ole is a problem that I do not think he attracts top players, but he as you say is not the main problem. All I keep reading is we are going to put bids in for this player and that player. I worry that it is all talk. I just have this picture of Ed and Co. with their hands down any settee they can find searching for small change.
This doesn't make sense. The only way to take the club forward is by improving the team and start challenging in the forseable future. I do however think they will use a couple of windows to do this.

MrSingh2002

Apparently according to certain posters we aren't allowed to make comparisons with Real Madrid because we are not gonna play them next season. Our league rivals have done nothing so far so everything is chill.
In that case we're doing fantastically well. We're not doing as badly as our rivals who finished ahead of us and don't need wholesale changes.

DomesticTadpole

This doesn't make sense. The only way to take the club forward is by improving the team and start challenging in the forseable future. I do however think they will use a couple of windows to do this.
It depends what direction we are going in. You cannot sell your top players and replace them with mid-table or lower division players and expect to improve. They might want to improve as players and run about a lot and have heart, but if they don't have the talent it will not matter. It is Ok going young, but you need experience in there to guide them and we do not have one player who I would trust to guide youngsters in the right way. I know it will take a while, but if we fall out of the European places next season it will take a long time for us to come back. We need top 6 at the very minimum, but really CL is a necessity. I just think the top players who would help see other clubs as a better option for their careers.

Rusholme Ruffian

Woodward has long said that we don't need to be winning titles to perform well financially - and, let's face it, that's all the owners are REALLY bothered about isn't it.

dove

It depends what direction we are going in. You cannot sell your top players and replace them with mid-table or lower division players and expect to improve. They might want to improve as players and run about a lot and have heart, but if they don't have the talent it will not matter. It is Ok going young, but you need experience in there to guide them and we do not have one player who I would trust to guide youngsters in the right way. I know it will take a while, but if we fall out of the European places next season it will take a long time for us to come back. We need top 6 at the very minimum, but really CL is a necessity. I just think the top players who would help see other clubs as a better option for their careers.
I think the direction is quite clear at this point - down. Our "clearance of deadwood" will be losing our best players and replacing them with "young British players" while extending contracts with the real deadwood.

DomesticTadpole

I think the direction is quite clear at this point - down. Our "clearance of deadwood" will be losing our best players and replacing them with "young British players" while extending contracts with the real deadwood.
It's the fact that the club do not seem to understand the word deadwood is seriously worrying. If you are English then that seems to save you from the chop no matter what.

Josep Dowling

Woodward has long said that we don't need to be winning titles to perform well financially - and, let's face it, that's all the owners are REALLY bothered about isn't it.
To me this makes zero sense and precisely why he shouldn’t be in charge of the club. Champions League income is a huge source of revenue. Being out of that hits turnover massively. Winning the league gets you more prize money, more exposure bringing in more advertising revenue. The bloke is a fecking moron and the sooner he leaves the club the better.

JoaquinJoaquin

Which shows absolutely no respect for the supporters.
Woodward gets paid regardless. He doesn't have to care what the fans think necessarily, even if he probably does to a degree. He knows he is untouchable now in terms of being sacked by the Glazers, and another Summer fail this year won't change anything (except a bigger downfall for us).

Rusholme Ruffian

This sentence should strike fear into the hearts of any United fan, but some just refuse to hear a bad word said about the owners or their lackey:

"Playing performance doesn't really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business."

DomesticTadpole

This sentence should strike fear into the hearts of any United fan, but some just refuse to hear a bad word said about the owners or their lackey:

"Playing performance doesn't really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business."
It's disgusting.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

Ask a group of reasonably intelligent people(who don't support Manchester United) what they think Ed Woodward meant by the above and why he said it, and you will be gobsmacked at their answers.

Strike fear, JC :lol:

DomesticTadpole

It's also a crock of shit. Does he seriously believe we'd be coining it in like we are if we were languishing in the bottom half of the table with our top players heading for the exit door?
I hope he doesn't. I just feel at time Ed says far too much. I just feel he comes across as a bit of a blowhard. All talk and no action.

Rusholme Ruffian

Ask a group of reasonably intelligent people(who don't support Manchester United) what they think Ed Woodward meant by the above and why he said it, and you will be gobsmacked at their answers.

Strike fear, JC :lol:
You're going to have to stop talking in riddles mate.

It's also a crock of shit. Does he seriously believe we'd be coining it in like we are if we were languishing in the bottom half of the table with our top players heading for the exit door?
I think it's pretty well known that regular CL qualification is needed as part of the plan for healthy club finances.

Moriarty

You're going to have to stop talking in riddles mate.

I think it's pretty well known that regular CL qualification is needed as part of the plan for healthy club finances.
I seem to recall reading that United's share price took a hammering back in April. The papers reported that something in the region of $1 billion (US) was wiped off the value between August 2018 and April 2019. According to some posters on here, the Glazers have projected a potential growth of up to $8 billion US. I'm not a financial expert by any means but given the instability on the footballing side, the stadium issues and other sundry problems, that seems to be wildly optimistic.

Lee565

Maybe it is because some of our rivals are not in the mess we are in and others do not have the aspirations this club should have.
This, liverpool had an amazing season and only a few signings needed, City are still formidable and probably only need 1 or 2 signing, can't compare to Chelsea because of the transfer ban, spurs got by well last season by not spending a penny so I doubt they will feel the need to buy no more than 3 players, we shouldn't be acting as if everything is ok that we are dithering around and employing a scattergun transfer strategy again when there is rebuild of the team that needs to be done and where it's highly likely we will lose 3 big players in Lukaku, Pogba and De Gea, just because a penny pinching Europa league team like Arsenal have yet to do anything as well.

We haven't even yet signed a player that will improve the first team, all we have done is screw around for a month sorting out what should have been a simple and quick deal for a promising squad player in James.

What was the point in choosing Ole to be in charge to help get a head start to organise our transfer strategy for the summer to only then end up dithering and having a scattergun approach with transfers once again? We may as well sack him and get in a capable manager that might be able to get a team punch above it's weight seeing as keeping him is making no difference with what we have seen in previous summer windows.

Beaucoup

I'm still not really clear what point you're making? :)

Do you believe that the Glazers and Ed Woodward are fully committed to doing whatever it takes to overhaul Man City and put us right back at the very top of the tree? Answer honestly.
Freudian slip!

Sir Scott McToMinay

The club failed to get the main targets (De Ligt / Koulibaly and Sancho) for the main two positions we needed to strengthen, and are now having to start negotiations from scratch with secondary targets.
Also Pogba wanting to leave probably gives the club more headache.

I could be wrong but it doesn’t look like the club is in control of who we are going to get.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Why is nothing happening. The board are beyond a joke yes but not really for transfers. They were blamed for dithering Moyes summer, but then in turned out Moyes turned down Alcantara, dithered about other players and went after players who had already agreed to go to Real Madrid.

We saw with LVG and Mourinho, that when the manager names his targets the board will, usually, try and get those players, yes in Mourinho final year they refused to sell young talented players like martial to replace with 30 year olds like William. So honestly I think the lack of activity and interest in players like Longstaff is really down to the board following Solskjaer vision of wanting to replicate the SAF way of young British potential, and other European players eg Rabiot should be an obvious target not being interested in joining United and Solskjaer lacking the personality to convince people to join.

kirk buttercup

If by the end of week nothing has happened maybe start to feel a little concern . But it's not as if any other premiership club has been lighting it up . Players are on Holidays. Let's see what the week throws up .