Why is all the focus on Pogba?

goin4glory

It's bizarre. If everyone on the team was performing to his level we'd be competing. Lingard/Sanchez/Mata/Lukaku/Young etc are all terrible. Leave Pogba alone.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What are you trying to debate here? The poster was using the Stoke game as a way to say Zlatan was not a leader. I'm saying that poor games don't disqualify someone's leadership qualities. End of.
You brought leadership into the equation and linked it to Ibrahimovic immediate impact, presumable contrary to Pogba since you said that you only remember his haircut.

I honestly don’t remember his debut other than his gold hair. Not slighting him, I just don’t remember. However, I do remember that United were very pedestrian that season and had much trouble creating chances. And all those draws! :mad: My first ever United game at Old Trafford was a draw against Stoke.

Anywho, you wanna know who I think had a real big immediate impact? Zlatan. Now that guy was leader who gave it his all.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Might come as a surprise to you but Ferguson wasn't perfect, no manager is. He made mistakes too, more so in his latter years. In his latter years we missed out on a lot of quality players like Kompany, Hazard, Lucas Moura & of course... let Pogba go. He had an intense disliking of agents, in particular Raiola.

Besides, its proof in the pudding with Pogba that Fergie got it wrong. He felt he wasn't ready, yet 12 months later he was an Italian league winner and an integral part of that and the next 3 that followed.

As for the highlighted part about Real, he was asked a general question and answered it. Feel free to look up the quotes in full, he rounded out by saying he was very happy at United and planned on staying.

Yeah stop defending one of our players, its no allowed, lets just all abuse him.
Of course he wasnt perfect but he also saw him in training everyday and clearly thought he wasnt ready.

JPRouve

Scout
Of course he wasnt perfect but he also saw him in training everyday and clearly thought he wasnt ready.
Yeah, at 19 years old Pogba wasn't ready to play in our 442 as a CM, though I think that he could have played on the left with Giggs sliding inside. SAF was right about the CM thing though, obviously.

Keefy18

Yep and obviously got it wrong.

Most managers and players around Pogba say he's a really nice bloke, very genuine, well spoken and polite. Ole says he trains well and is hard working and young lads look up to him. First thing he did when he got back to the club from Juve was to find the cleaning ladies to say hello to them and got a photo and with them and signed jerseys for their kids.

There's certain people in the public eye that get a bad rep and no matter what they do it sticks.

Ramshock

Yeah, at 19 years old Pogba wasn't ready to play in our 442 as a CM, though I think that he could have played on the left with Giggs sliding inside. SAF was right about the CM thing though, obviously.
I wish I could get behind Pogba but like I said I think this is the first time ive felt that a player who was playing for United wasnt really a United player. I could never get over the feeling he wasnt here for long, its almost like he is on loan.

Ramshock

Yep and obviously got it wrong.

Most managers and players around Pogba say he's a really nice bloke, very genuine, well spoken and polite. Ole says he trains well and is hard working and young lads look up to him. First thing he did when he got back to the club from Juve was to find the cleaning ladies to say hello to them and got a photo and with them and signed jerseys for their kids.

There's certain people in the public eye that get a bad rep and no matter what they do it sticks.
You do you mate. I cant help feeling how I do about the lad.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
You brought leadership into the equation and linked it to Ibrahimovic immediate impact, presumable contrary to Pogba since you said that you only remember his haircut.
Zlatan did have an immediate impact and he is a leader and I genuinely don't remember Pogba's performances that time. The haircut reference had nothing to do with leadership qualities. End of the day, Zlatan was a leader. Pogba is not. You either agree with this or not but I've made my point clear to the poster, and I've already recognized your point regarding the original topic.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Zlatan did have an immediate impact and he is a leader and I genuinely don't remember Pogba's performances that time. The haircut reference had nothing to do with leadership qualities. End of the day, Zlatan was a leader. Pogba is not. You either agree with this or not but I've made my point clear to the poster, and I've already recognized your point regarding the original topic.
Haircut reference was pointless except to highlight your own inadequacies. On Zlatan, the whole team was structured to service him. That season was mediocre for the club. Zlatan missed an absolute boat load of gilt edge chances in big moments and the lack of flexibility from the manager on tactics meant that when Zlatan didn't score we struggled.

As a season ticket holder, I have to say his season with us was hugely overrated. He was slow and static and often played for himself outside of the box, got too involved with opposing players at times losing the ball trying to be too clever and could've been sent off a few times.

That said he did his job overall. We finished 6th and we're around there all season

I think your opinion on him is more on what you like to see in a man than a footballer.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Haircut reference was pointless except to highlight your own inadequacies. On Zlatan, the whole team was structured to service him. That season was mediocre for the club. Zlatan missed an absolute boat load of gilt edge chances in big moments and the lack of flexibility from the manager on tactics meant that when Zlatan didn't score we struggled.

As a season ticket holder, I have to say his season with us was hugely overrated. He was slow and static and often played for himself outside of the box, got too involved with opposing players at times losing the ball trying to be too clever and could've been sent off a few times.

That said he did his job overall. We finished 6th and we're around there all season

I think your opinion on him is more on what you like to see in a man than a footballer.
Go feck off with your condescending bullshit. Since you can't comprehend basic English so I'm not debating this. I've already made my point.

el3mel

So you didn't have a point ?

Robson never helped us win the league really, by that point his influence had waned massively. He was still my favourite player of all time. But this theory that if Pogba was that good he'd have us winning leagues is absolute nonsense.

Also you need to be less bitter about individuals. The forum would be better if people didn't take personal dislike to footballers they don't know.
I don't have any reason to love and defend the current lot. If you want to love a crap generation who did feck all to the club so far, keep letting the fan down again and again and don't even perform regularly it's up to you but no one is forced to be the same. If you don't like seeing your favorite player getting slaughtered you can always use the ignore function, because I'm not having any kind of excuses for any player, be it being Pogba or any other one, and yeah I don't slaughter him alone. I slaughter the entire current squad. Some just appear to look annoyed certain players are getting slaughtered because they love them for no specific reason and don't care about the others so yeah no other solution except pressing the ignore button.

Keefy18

I don't have any reason to love and defend the current lot. If you want to love a crap generation who did feck all to the club so far, keep letting the fan down again and again and don't even perform regularly it's up to you but no one is forced to be the same. If you don't like seeing your favorite player getting slaughtered you can always use the ignore function, because I'm not having any kind of excuses for any player, be it being Pogba or any other one, and yeah I don't slaughter him alone. I slaughter the entire current squad. Some just appear to look annoyed certain players are getting slaughtered because they love them for no specific reason and don't care about the others so yeah no other solution except pressing the ignore button.
Spoken like a true spoiled brat and self entitled fan.

As the saying goes....

"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win."

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Our worst player during that losing run is actually De Gea....

BringKlebersonBack

We need better defensive players because of him. He's a luxury far too often.

Instead we're seemingly going to get worse defensively in losing Ander. So expect Pogba to play like last season not this season
It makes sense to claim that a creative midfielder, who has often been asked to do a job he isn’t skilled at, is the reason for the defensive weaknesses we have IF and only IF you accept that the defensive players we have are inadequate to do the job themselves. Ergo, they are too poor for Manchester United.

Keefy18

Our worst player during that losing run is actually De Gea....
This!

Consistent string of woefully poor performances from De Gea for weeks on end costing us games and points over and over.

I wonder if this was Pogba or Martial costing us would folks be so apologetic?

Ekeke

It makes sense to claim that a creative midfielder, who has often been asked to do a job he isn’t skilled at, is the reason for the defensive weaknesses we have IF and only IF you accept that the defensive players we have are inadequate to do the job themselves. Ergo, they are too poor for Manchester United.
City's do it. Why shouldnt he?

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't like the term lazy here, Messi is on the field for his creativity and finishing, he has no business losing lucidity and energy doing things he isn't particularly good at and most likely diminishing his ability to excel in his strength. He also plays an awful lot of games, so he needs to manage his effort and pick his moments. In the end football his a team sports, not all players are supposed to fill the same roles.
He's black, he has to be lazy. I jest, but before anyone accuses me of bringing up the race card they should search the word 'lazy' in the player performances forum and see which players threads dominate the pages

mattunited1978

doommonger
He's the least of our problems imo. The talent level around him is absolutely shocking, He's a very good player, not good enough to carry a team though, especially one as poor as ours, which rightly or wrongly, people expect him to do.

Charles Miller

I assume people who claim Pogba should decide the games like the top players at other clubs(that turns out to be all strikers/wingers) think Football is like Basket where you can be the top scorer despite your position.

FattyFooty

Its not about hes skills. I thought most people figured out that by now.

Alex Ferguson once sold him. There was a reason for it. And it was no that he didnt think he was good.

Pogba on hes day can be a beauty to watch, but on hes bad days, its scary. Mostly since it looks like he dont care.

MadMike

Alex Ferguson once sold him. There was a reason for it. And it was no that he didnt think he was good.

Pogba on hes day can be a beauty to watch, but on hes bad days, its scary. Mostly since it looks like he dont care.
Well that never happened. It's been mentioned about 298,218,761,623 times in here. He didn't renew his contract and left despite Fergie wanting to keep him.

SteveW

SAF really did not want to let him go.

AaronRedDevil

He's got all the talent in the world and he's barely using it this season. Last season he was almost always on form every match. Now he's just jogging everywhere showing zero will for anything. He's loses the ball and when it's still near him he doesn't try anything to win it back.

FattyFooty

Well that never happened. It's been mentioned about 298,218,761,623 times in here. He didn't renew his contract and left despite Fergie wanting to keep him.
I belive if they really wanted they could have kept him. I heard he wanted more game time and SAF couldn't guarantee it or something like that.

Brighteyesmoose

He is a very decent player. You can see it in flashes now and again but honestly, his heart isn't in the United shirt. You can see it when he plays. A lot of the time it is half arsed movements he makes. He must be expecting a transfer or at least be wanting to. Quality player or not, we need to have a team of people that all want to play for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadMike

I belive if they really wanted they could have kept him. I heard he wanted more game time and SAF couldn't guarantee it or something like that.
You can believe in aliens for all I care. There's testimony from all sides to the opposite.

KristianMackle

His pricetag? And he tries to do too much with the ball and often loses it. But mostly his pricetag. For what we paid, people are expecting Gullit and Makelele rolled into one.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The focus is on him, because talent wise he's by the far the best player you have, but is far inconsistent in showing he is. Would be a bit weird to blame everything on McTominay and Phil Jones, since they're simply playing with the limited amount of talent they have. The better you are, the more people expect of you. Especially if you are signed for an at the time world record fee.

Players earn a lot of money, because that's the way the market works. I think it's only fair to judge them relatively to the amount of money they receive.

JPRouve

Scout
The focus is on him, because talent wise he's by the far the best player you have, but is far inconsistent in showing he is. Would be a bit weird to blame everything on McTominay and Phil Jones, since they're simply playing with the limited amount of talent they have. The better you are, the more people expect of you. Especially if you are signed for an at the time world record fee.

Players earn a lot of money, because that's the way the market works. I think it's only fair to judge them relatively to the amount of money they receive.
But that makes no sense because football is a team sport, the 10 other players have a big influence on the game and on their teammates performances. If the others were doing their share and Pogba wasn't then it would make total sense to be on his back but it's not the case, his teammates are generally not pulling their own weight relative to their own levels and they are extremely inconsistent.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's got all the talent in the world and he's barely using it this season. Last season he was almost always on form every match. Now he's just jogging everywhere showing zero will for anything. He's loses the ball and when it's still near him he doesn't try anything to win it back.
He also draws a lot attention as he was the most fouled player against Barcelona in the first leg and against Chelsea. Funny enough, this has been his most productive season as a senior player in goals and assists.