Why is Ed Woodward held in such contempt?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
He was the JP Morgan accountant chap who oversaw the hostile takeover of the club. He was the prick who thought he knew more about football than managers. His treatment of pros within the game was abysmal including Evra and LVG and many more. Read about his approach to Klopp. Adult version of Disneyland. He was the frontman for the soulless leeches who tore the heart out of United. He was the clueless slime bag you don't want representing the greatest club in the world.

Bwuk

Because he slept with the majority of posters wives.

mu4c_20le

Manchester United tried to lure Jurgen Klopp away from Borussia Dortmund in 2014 by describing themselves as “an adult version of Disneyland.”

“an adult version of Disneyland.”
For an incompetent buffoon who gambles on managers and puts all his faith on them, he couldn't even get the appointment right.

Loony BoB

He was an excellent person at getting commercial deals, and for some reason someone up top thought this would mean he'd be good at organising transfers. Ridiculous. I would have been more than happy if he'd been CEO but stayed 100% out of football activity - as a businessman, he's good at what he does. But football is more than a business. This was his undoing, and that of the Glazers - thinking they knew better.

tjb

He’s been at the club for eight years, and I’ve never quite understood the extreme revulsion and hatred for him, even before this latest ESL fiasco. I was equally bemused when supporters turned up and threatened him outside his house. I can’t remember him saying anything or doing anything to deserve this level of disdain, and I hear news of his resignation tonight met with ‘this is the best news since we won the treble in 1999’.

Surely the anger is best directed at the Glazers? Or is he thought of as part of them, and an attack on him is an attack on the Glazers? I haven’t even heard anywhere near the same level of abuse or loathing towards them as towards Ed.

From my perspective it seems he was a guy following orders and (trying) to work in the best interests of the club. Is the anger actually aimed at the Glazers and he’s the figure that’s easiest to target?

Please excuse my ignorance if I am missing something obvious.
Have you seen us over the last 8 years, the comments about him from people associated with the club, his weasel like demeanor...come on. Glazers may be poor, but Woodward has recieved the money and he's the one responsible for the squander that happened between 2013 and 2019.

Falcow

I agree with you OP, Woodward was just the easy scapegoat for the fans. He was the most visible figure in upper club management and fans for some reason think that he wasn't following orders from ownership. There's no real victory until the Glazers are gone and replaced by better ownership.
Agree with this. The hyperbole in this place tonight is just ludicrous.

Gill and Ferguson are as much to blame for the shit show they left us in. Fergie for Moyes and Gill for not having an actual succession plan in place and for not staying on for another year or two to lessen the blow of the two most important people leaving at the same time.....seriously.

Ed was obviously naive in the role especially in the beginning but I need more than that to hate someone and call him a cnut like most on here tonight.

In addition, do people not realise that we probably would have been able to spend a billon on players since Fergie left if it weren't for Ed's commercial acumen? It's not his fault we aren't owned by a wealthy state like PSG or Ciry and dont have endless funds to spend.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Hadn’t an iota of an idea anything to do with football.

Turned us into a Disneyland selling point which made us a laughing stock.

Shitty managerial appointments.

Helped the Galzers with the buyout (iirc)

Slimy and two faced who fired managers behind their back (confirmed by the UEFA chiefs comments about Woodward earlier)

I think it was mostly his football incompetence though & he’s definitely seen as a Glazer puppet.

Drifter

American
Woodward played a major role in getting the controversial takeover by the Glazers in 2005

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
he slows down and then speeds up in the left hand lane of the motorway. he leaves used tea bags in the small sink. he pretends to wash his hands after using the toilet. he coughs in the cinema. he sighs loudly whenever in a queue of people. he nudges people when they’re tying their laces. he pisses on the seat and doesn’t wipe it. he overwrites the number 1 car seat memory when he borrows your car. he never buys a round. he interrupts you mid anecdote. he leaves the lid off the tea bag jar and puts the wet spoon back in the sugar. he runs with a weird gait. he attracts wasps.

gormless

"We can do things in the transfer market other clubs can only dream of. Watch this space." - Signs Fellaini.

The breaking news on SSN that he was flying back to the UK on "urgent transfer business."

The helping the Glazer takeover.

The decent into mediocrity.

The shameful way he has treated some of our managers, even if they did need to be sacked - LVG found out via the media minutes after winning the FA Cup.

Telling Evra that Evra couldn't talk to him like that because "I'm your director of football."

Rio finding out he was being let go in a pretty poor way.

The imposter lawyers.

I will repeat - he helped the Glazer takeover and is responsible for the massive amounts of debt we have.

A pretty smackable face.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No one wants to see people losing their jobs but Ed is not doing his job properly in football. This is football club and should be operated by football people. That ESL project pretty sums up what he is. A commercial man, managing football club just doesn't suit him and that's why Man United has been fail for so many years and sacking so many managers without winning major trophies. I hope he does well in different industry though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The disease was always the owners, but our fans (not all) attacked the symptom rather than the disease. After Fergie left we got exposed.

clarkydaz

Helped hand the club to the Glazers. But apart from that, geezer. wont have a word said against him

Kaos

As a money man he's done an objectively great job, as a footballing man he's been utterly useless. Just look at our transfer dealings, manager recruitment, contract negotiations and general operation of the football club - topped off with his involvement in this fiasco. Clearly unfit for the job and only really brought in as a lackey for our parasitic regime.

432JuanMata

Is this really a question? The Glazers for all there hate have invested money over the last 6 years the biggest downfall in them is hiring and backing incompetent people like Woodward

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Better question is ‘why is this peanut bonce staying on until the end of the year’

Ludens the Red

Agree with this. The hyperbole in this place tonight is just ludicrous.

Gill and Ferguson are as much to blame for the shit show they left us in. Fergie for Moyes and Gill for not having an actual succession plan in place and for not staying on for another year or two to lessen the blow of the two most important people leaving at the same time.....seriously.

Ed was obviously naive in the role especially in the beginning but I need more than that to hate someone and call him a cnut like most on here tonight.

In addition, do people not realise that we probably would have been able to spend a billon on players since Fergie left if it weren't for Ed's commercial acumen? It's not his fault we aren't owned by a wealthy state like PSG or Ciry and dont have endless funds to spend.
Congratulations on the worse post of the year.
Sir Alex handpicked a manager who was sacked within a year. Seven years down the line of failure and he’s as much to blame as Woodward?

Some absolutely wank posting on this forum these days.

Ed Woodward was an incompetent , wank yes man who btw is on a shit tonne of money.
Everything he’s touched has been a disaster. He’s treated club legends like shit and his sails pitch to Klopp says it all about him.
Utterly clueless buffoon who knows feck all about football and somehow chanced it and managed to run the biggest club in the country for several years.
He was basically a con man. Manchester United have achieved nothing because of him but sure mate keep ‘equally blaming’ the man who preceded over 13 league titles, 2 European cups and countless incredible memories for what’s going on now.

He helped faciltate Glazer buying the club.

He was the public face of the regime.

Appointed 4 managers that failed.

Thick as shit transfer policy.

Gaslighting the fanbase constantly.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I actually hate him. Never hated the glazers tbh, they left him to it.

He oversaw Moyes, van gaal and mourinho, 3 terrible appointments that literally had held us back the better part of a decade, didn't have a vision/plan just decided to thrown money at big name players, and was too arrogant to appoint footballing men to make footballing decisions.

He held us back.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
He’s been at the club for eight years, and I’ve never quite understood the extreme revulsion and hatred for him, even before this latest ESL fiasco. I was equally bemused when supporters turned up and threatened him outside his house. I can’t remember him saying anything or doing anything to deserve this level of disdain, and I hear news of his resignation tonight met with ‘this is the best news since we won the treble in 1999’.

Surely the anger is best directed at the Glazers? Or is he thought of as part of them, and an attack on him is an attack on the Glazers? I haven’t even heard anywhere near the same level of abuse or loathing towards them as towards Ed.

From my perspective it seems he was a guy following orders and (trying) to work in the best interests of the club. Is the anger actually aimed at the Glazers and he’s the figure that’s easiest to target?

He was brought in to bring more money into the owners pockets. Hes not a football man and doesnt care about the sport club success or fans.

Falcow

Congratulations on the worse post of the year.
Sir Alex handpicked a manager who was sacked within a year. Seven years down the line of failure and he’s as much to blame as Woodward?

Some absolutely wank posting on this forum these days.

Ed Woodward was an incompetent , wank yes man who btw is on a shit tonne of money.
Everything he’s touched has been a disaster. He’s treated club legends like shit and his sails pitch to Klopp says it all about him.
Utterly clueless buffoon who knows feck all about football and somehow chanced it and managed to run the biggest club in the country for several years.
He was basically a con man. Manchester United have achieved nothing because of him but sure mate keep ‘equally blaming’ the man who preceded over 13 league titles, 2 European cups and countless incredible memories for what’s going on now.
What are you like 12? 14 maybe?

RedorDead21

I actually hate him. Never hated the glazers tbh, they left him to it.

He oversaw Moyes, van gaal and mourinho, 3 terrible appointments that literally had held us back the better part of a decade, didn't have a vision/plan just decided to thrown money at big name players, and was too arrogant to appoint footballing men to make footballing decisions.

He held us back.
I bet his replacement chosen by the glazers will hold us back even more. Could be a glazer replacing him which would make me chuckle even more at the expectation levels on here

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Has anyone mentioned the terrible way he dealt with the exit of some of our legends (Rio, Evra, etc)?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'll play devil advocate here, clearly he wasn't competent to run a football club but that's not his fault. Seems to be like people who appointed him were happy with his job. They also knew he had no experience in football or sport in general, it's not like they missed that in interview.

It's understandable he isn't fan favorite (to put it mildly), but the hate should focus on the owners IMO. I doubt football trophies were one of Woodward KPIs.

hubbuh

I can't understand why everyone hates the investment banker who masterminded the leveraged buyout that landed the club a billion pounds in debt before going on to oversee the most disastrous decade in the club's recent on-field history, whilst bragging about being able to do things other clubs could only dream of.

Yep, can't quite put my finger on it.
Well said.

He's an evil cocknose that's not welcome at our club.

Counterfactual

I can't understand why everyone hates the investment banker who masterminded the leveraged buyout that landed the club a billion pounds in debt before going on to oversee the most disastrous decade in the club's recent on-field history, whilst bragging about being able to do things other clubs could only dream of.

Yep, can't quite put my finger on it.
:lol: :lol: /thread

Bloody "adult version of Disneyland" bollocks. Nice job, Ed.

always_hoping

He's the buffoon the owners have running the club on a day to day basic in Manchester as they are in America not paying any attention to football matters.

A banker that is clueless when it comes to transfers and player contracts. He appointed and sacked the last number of managers since Ferguson retired and thankfully he won't be doing that anymore.

However saying all that it's important that the Glazers are the next to go as they could easily appoint a like for like replacement for Woodward.

Someone

Something
He failed during his era to bring any success to the club, for that he needs to take full responsibility. He was one of the key people behind the ESL, and he deserves criticism for that as well.

I agree that the glazers are the roots of all evil here, but it's been proven that if you have a good chairman you could still find success, and he failed.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Why are all assuming that Ed ran with the Super League? This was the Glazers. Ed Woodward works for them just like Ole. So Ole gets a pass because he is the manager but Ed doesn't? He was already going to resign this year which has now come out. So maybe it was not all good between the Glazers and Ed. He may have decided that the League was not worth his time and given his resignation and due to the super league, the news has now come out where he is a scapegoat.

Him being bad at transfers is one thing, but holding him responsible for the super league is weird.
I think he majorly ties in with JP Morgan financing the whole thing having worked there previously. It was a seriously ambitious and risky move but he messed it up like almost everything else he’s done since the takeover. Hopefully his leaving is one step closer to getting the glazers out. in the meantime they are probably going to need to hire another Woodward type to manage their massive debt and dividends and give the leftovers to the club to sort out the team.

GiddyUp

Ludicrously over inflated contracts to players not up to the standard, to "maintain value".

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I've beaten the "defend Woodward" drum before. It's reasonable enough at first - we dont really know what he does or where his responsibilities lie.

The ESL proves, without a shadow of a doubt, how disconnected he is from every fan. The fact that he allowed this to be conceived, and for United to tarnish their name by agreeing to it, is unforgivable and proves he deserves to be held in such contempt.

Even David Gill would have walked away.

big rons sovereign

Great investment banker. Shit football CEO.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The fact that he sat on the UEFA board, attended these CL reform meetings, took part in them and agreed to them... Only to announce this Super League, and leave his UEFA position after doing so, tells you everything you need to know about him.