Why is Jose so miserable these days?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Raees Surely he has more control at United than he is ever likely to get anywhere else? Surely this should be a reason for him to feel relatively satisfied?
He'll get there eventually, but right now he doesn't have full control of the situation. In an ideal world, he drops Rooney and his 'new' team win games and that gives him authority. He can't afford more games like Feyenoord as that slows the weeding out process down and undermines his authority.

Remember how when we lost and then half the Caf was like 'hahaha told you so.. Rooney is not the cause of the problem and still has it". Jose must have felt like posters like myself, FFS.. now I'm going have to restore the fat feck back into the first team.

Needham

Chelsea second time round bored him, and Jose got sick of his surroundings. And as Samuel Johnson said, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of all super tense wankholes.
Yes, wankholes is one word.

Reynoldo

Wouldn't you be having to shoe horn Rooney into the team... knowing full well it could cost you the job and there is nothing you can do about it.

Plus he lost to the politics at Chelsea and Madrid.
This, he's not been the same since he lost that war. It's worrying really as he seems to have lost that aura of invincibility which, I think, was a big reason for his success on the pitch.

SuperiorXI

Has he not always been this way? I would hope his last year at Chelsea was both a blip and a consequence of the joke of a club that is Chelsea. I very much doubt he had the control a manager of his ilk requires in order to sustain his time there.

Witchking

People reading too much into it... You could have bet no one thought of this before the derby... He was always saying and doing the right things according to the caf and one bad week, everyone is like now a mentalist!!!!
Nope, for me, from his first interview at United, he looked too quiet and looked unhappy whenever he was engaging with the press. But now post the City loss, he seems uncoordinated like how he was with Chelsea last season when they were going though a turbulent time.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Maybe it's the commute?

But he's looked like he was waiting to pick a fight with the press and the players from the off. It's what he does. It's why Bobby Charlton was so against him being United manager, I thought.

Anyway, who cares, as long as he's winning and playing good football! :):):)

What's that you say...

Jacko21

This was post City defeat. For a bit of balance. ;)

He's not miserable, just under pressure.

AshfordLad

Whatching him right now reminds me of watching Torres in 2013-14. Seems to be not in love with football anymore.

He was alright till the end of 2014-15 season. Was still making fun of wenger as usual, picking fights with refs, celebrating like still a player on the pitch.

I think something big has happened to him last summer at a personal level.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Thats just ridiculous, one bad half season (when he had received no backing in the tm) doesn't define him as a manager.
I never said it defined him, I just said that he was sacked from Chelsea because he was awful in the months leading up to his dismissal.
He'd just won the league with that squad of players so while I have sympathy for the lack of backing in the TM, the squad that he had should still have been doing much better than it was

Shiva87

I just think this is a general issue with ambitious people. Things get to you more - general/ personal criticism, personal issues, self-doubts, etc. Some deal with it better and some, not so much. Jose just feels like one of those that has a hard time coming out of a slump. He may as well remain a little sombre till he wins something with United.

I just hope he doesn't lose the plot in this phase like he did at Chelsea.

MightyRedz

Number of reasons..

7) Not knowing if he still has it - this must also be playing on his mind. In his heart of hearts, he probably believes in point 5, that he hasn't been given a proper chance for a long while to build his own team with his type of characters/players. That said there must be that element of fear that maybe the problem is him and not the situations he finds himself in. He can't afford to think like that, because then he basically isn't the special one anymore.
There was widespread opposition to his appointment on here because of his antics at Chelsea and RM, If he had been appointed 5 years ago, nobody would have considered it a gamble, he was then the darling of the London-based media, and no-one had any ammunition against him, now though the mood is different, added pressure must come from the money spent in the last transfer window and it won't take much for the press to start running ant-Mou stories, and as many United fans are on the fence about him then this will cause huge issues.

United need to be very very careful, they took a big risk and now are between a rock and a hard place, the club faces a lot of difficult decisions in the short-term, and there look to be no easy answers to some of them - is Jose the right man to turn things around? Even if he isn't, United are stuck with him as they cannot be seen to be turning over managers as a knee jerk reaction. If he implodes it will be easier for them to change tack.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's just not good at losing. Which, in my opinion, is a rather good trait for a manager. He's not one to joke before or after a loss. Make of that what you will, but he's always been like that hasn't he. In the past he just didn't lose as often.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He doesn't know how to break it to Rooney that he won't be starting any more games and it makes him preoccupied.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I miss the bundle of joy Fergie used to be. Always smiling, cracking jokes and being an all round chilled out entertainer
None of the current managers have that ability. His witty answers and sense of humor, his press conference with Evans (when he asks "which one is your girl friend") was just great.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's under massive pressure and the PL is harder than ever. He knows himself how hard it's going to be to even finish top 4.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's simplistic logic but be does appear a jaded and frustrated manager. Maybe all the constant friction over the years with the media, players and ownership has worn him out? Hopefully he just needs his team to start winning trophies again to feel like a top manager again, and he gets it with us. He's used to winning consistently so last year would have caused a big dent and the start this season has placed us as underdogs it seems.

Jaxdan

Seems pretty much the same to me, from what I've seen in recent years anyway. Very low keyed interview style, still quick witted. Honestly haven't followed him that closely before though.

Born2Lose

I'd be the same in press conferences, it's the same old inane questions from the same boring journalists. It's so futile.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He's probably depressed.

van Persie

He's been like that for a few years now, has nothing to do with United

CS@SG

He's just not good at losing. Which, in my opinion, is a rather good trait for a manager. He's not one to joke before or after a loss. Make of that what you will, but he's always been like that hasn't he. In the past he just didn't lose as often.
That makes him a sore loser many times.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I miss the bundle of joy Fergie used to be. Always smiling, cracking jokes and being an all round chilled out entertainer
Fergie often had a great sense of humour in fairness

He would have some bad interviews were he was a cnut. But usually not too bad

Jacko21

As insignificant as it may seem to some, I do think it'd help if he was more settled in Manchester.

It's often overlooked, but managers, coaching staff and players have to embrace their new surroundings. And this is certainly true of those arriving in Manchester. Proximity-wise, it's a small city, but in the main, we respect the privacy of said individuals (it's not the goldfish bowl that is Liverpool). For whatever reason, Mourinho is still hauled up at the Lowry Hotel and frequents the same BBQ joint night in, night out. The sooner he stations himself (and his wife/family) in the suburbs of Cheshire, be it Hale, Prestbury, Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, the better.

As it stands, he's been living out of a suitcase for three months, 200 miles from his family. That's not ideal, even less so when the pressure is being ratcheted up and you have nowhere to retreat to.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He just hates the media. He's always smiling around the team.

Fergie was the same, and the media is actually MORE powerful than when Fergie retired.

Imagine SAF dealing with the media today on a weekly basis.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Loses less than most, but be sore loser more often than most.
Wenger is arguably a far worse loser; it's no use quoting Proust if you've just volleyed a water bottle in a manner that Walcott can only dream of.