Why is our fanbase so toxic towards its players?

NJM78

I just don't like seeing players continuously being rubbish week in week out. I love the club but I dont have to love all the players or the people running he club.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It’s perfectly fair to criticise them for what they do on the pitch, but the level of abuse they get for anything is frankly disgusting. just loom at the replies they get on social media, and some of posts here - it’s just not right to treat another person like that regardless of what they earn. This thread is not about saying you can’t criticise, I’ve said before their performances deserve it, the thread is about the toxic hatred they get for anything they do and no one deserves that.
Oh. Stop using social media such as twitter as barometer. That platform is filled with filth, and it's not only them but every public figure would have their own share of abuse and personal insult. If you cant handle it then stay of twitter.

Sorry. I'm not taking part in personal abuse nor condone it. But in this age crying foul when youre on twitter followed by thousands... well...

Infact. Replace fans with human and players with public figure

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Has to be nominated for meltdown of the year.

I can understand you've lost your patience with Lingard but how can it get you this upset man? :eek:
The wierd bit is I kept telling him I wasn't defending Lingards performances, or even his antics on social media. :lol: He's an angry man.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Oh. Stop using social media such as twitter as barometer. That platform is filled with filth, and it's not only them but every public figure would have their own share of abuse and personal insult. If you cant handle it then stay of twitter.

Sorry. I'm not taking part in personal abuse nor condone it. But in this age crying foul when youre on twitter followed by thousands... well...

Infact. Replace fans with human and players with public figure
This thread asks “why is our fan base so toxic towards its players?” So of course we’re going to look at social media, as that’s where lots of keyboard warriors spill their vitriolic hatred anonymously and with no chance of any come back. People treat them like commodities.

You’re argument earlier that they earn loads so they should accept it completely dehumanises them even further. So Lingard wore some glasses, promotes clothes etc - this has nothing to do with his performances. Criticise his lack of goals, his positioning, the fact that maybe he’s not good enough to be a Utd player, that’s fine, but personal attacks are wrong and no argument changes that.

I remember after France 98 the abuse that Beckham got from fans and the media, which were nothing to do with football were likewise revolting, social media amplifies that sort of thing, I wonder if anyone has ever thought about the fact that the effect of all of the abuse is to rob a player of confidence, pile unneeded pressure on and actually make his game worse.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Upon seeing actual numbers I admit the ticket revenue has a larger fraction in the income than I believed, so I stand corrected. Still, if half the TV revenue is coming from the British audience, it means the other half comes from abroad. And the tendency is the abroad income is going to overtake the domestic in the next years, so I still think my point is valid.
It won't. That only includes broadcast and merchandising revenue. Matchday revenue is still only "domestic income".

I'm not saying Man. United will cease existing, but can it regain it's post as one of the most fearsome clubs in the world if external audience, and all the money and prestige it generates, fades away?
I know it's a fecking Sun headline but "Manchester United have seen $1bn wiped off the value of the club this season, losing almost one quarter of its worth in a turbulent campaign" doesn't sound so farfetched to me.
It's completely farfetched, regardless of how poor the season was.

We're already having this much trouble with all the money. There's lots to be said about how the sports side of the club's been run, but money is needed to stay at the top even when things are done right.
The whole debacle, in my view, is that top red characters like to point fingers at others and call them knee-jerks, but they are blind to the danger this club is facing. They believe MUFC will maintain top dog status forever no matter what, because they are still such a popular club domestically, but without short term results, the global audience will drop massively, and all that money and popularity will shift to other clubs.
Man. United is only a step away from the Milano clubs if things don't start to change fast on the pitch. Meanwhile, top reds are worried about backing up Lingard and co. unconditionally, and calling toxic those who demand more from these millionaire brats.
Liverpool haven't won a major trophy 15 years yet they still one of the largest clubs in the world.
United is worth more than 6X as the next Milan club and the downfall of Milan clubs is directly linked to the poor state of the Italian economy during that period.
So yes, your reaction is a knee jerk.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This thread asks “why is our fan base so toxic towards its players?” So of course we’re going to look at social media, as that’s where lots of keyboard warriors spill their vitriolic hatred anonymously and with no chance of any come back. People treat them like commodities.

You’re argument earlier that they earn loads so they should accept it completely dehumanises them even further. So Lingard wore some glasses, promotes clothes etc - this has nothing to do with his performances. Criticise his lack of goals, his positioning, the fact that maybe he’s not good enough to be a Utd player, that’s fine, but personal attacks are wrong and no argument changes that.

I remember after France 98 the abuse that Beckham got from fans and the media, which were nothing to do with football were likewise revolting, social media amplifies that sort of thing, I wonder if anyone has ever thought about the fact that the effect of all of the abuse is to rob a player of confidence, pile unneeded pressure on and actually make his game worse.
Multi million dollar player got abused on Twitter. Poor lingard.....dehumanized....robbed of confidence...

No wonder they're coward on the field

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Multi million dollar player got abused on Twitter. Poor lingard.....dehumanized....robbed of confidence...

No wonder they're coward on the field
Shame, what could be an interesting thread and discussion derailed into toxicity.

The "person is rich so its fine to say whatever I like at or about them" argument just doesn't sit comfortably with me.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Except it's not, every bit of stick I've seen has been related their performances or the way they affect the club
Bullshit. Did you even bother to read the posts here?

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Not ok. Buy crying the about the internet toxicity while muling followers on instagram is hypocrisy.
I think they are just documenting their lives via social media, people choose to subscribe to them. For so long fans have wanted insight into the lives of footballers and now they have it they are adverse to what they see and abuse them.

Imagine if they were proper reclusive, like no interviews, no selfies, no autographs because of the abuse they've got? Then people would be calling them stuck up and pricks, they can't win

fergiesarmy1

I think they are just documenting their lives via social media, people choose to subscribe to them. For so long fans have wanted insight into the lives of footballers and now they have it they are adverse to what they see and abuse them.

Imagine if they were proper reclusive, like no interviews, no selfies, no autographs because of the abuse they've got? Then people would be calling them stuck up and pricks, they can't win
There is such a thing as balance and if your not playing well he really should stop acting like a clown in his downtime

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
There is such a thing as balance and if your not playing well he really should stop acting like a clown in his downtime
That's just it though, you see it as him acting like a clown he is just being him. Because you don't like how he acts doesn't mean it's wrong, same with how he dresses, might not be to your taste but does that mean it's terrible?

Needham

Because the current players are like son in laws who though not evil continually let you down and you know they'll never be able to support your daughter and their kids but you have to stick with them because their family and also the clothing lines.

Shark

@NotShark
Failure doesn't hurt them the way it hurts us
I think this is a big part of it actually. The players have almost become so used to failing, that it doesn't seem to even faze them anymore. To put it bluntly, most of them are a bunch of fecking losers who we're continuing to persist with, yet expect to be successful. It's like persisting and investing in a racing horse that continuously loses race after race. Madness.

Irwin99

Meanwhile, a club in London with a far more ‘toxic’ fan base with fans that repeatedly boo their players/manager have just finished 3rd with a trophy.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I was at the Camp Nou two weeks ago and Coutinho got jeered from his first touch. That's them jeering the 3rd most expensive player in history, before he's done anything wrong, in a game where they celebrated a league title in their last home game.

English fans are very forgiving, United fans included.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Meanwhile, a club in London with a far more ‘toxic’ fan base with fans that repeatedly boo their players/manager have just finished 3rd with a trophy.
I don't go to many of the games but on the CFC forum I visit about a third of the posters want Sarri out. I also saw a bunch of fans on Sky sports news immediately after the EL win saying they still wanted Sarri out. It's crazy.

As you quite rightly imply, this problem isn't unique to Utd.

Firstly social media amplifies everything because posters are unfiltered in their ramblings. I actually believe this is leading to a form of mental illness across society. Secondly the very high earnings of players are very hard to justify and a certain type of resentment boils over in the heat of the moment.

Moonwalker

Depends on the shirt. And the shades. If they clash, then I for one will get worked up, so help me.
They can clash, but only if the performances are good. If not, it's obvious that bad taste dictates how they train, and consequently how they play.

Irwin99

I don't go to many of the games but on the CFC forum I visit about a third of the posters want Sarri out. I also saw a bunch of fans on Sky sports news immediately after the EL win saying they still wanted Sarri out. It's crazy.

As you quite rightly imply, this problem isn't unique to Utd.

Firstly social media amplifies everything because posters are unfiltered in their ramblings. I actually believe this is leading to a form of mental illness across society. Secondly the very high earnings of players are very hard to justify and a certain type of resentment boils over in the heat of the moment.
Yes it is strange at Chelsea. I would give the manager another season after a pretty decent first year, all things considered.

I’m not condoning booing or entitlement but United fans are comparatively VERY tolerant and I just don’t get the OPs point at all especially when they say players must find it hard here because of negative fans. For fecks sake , What negative fans other than a few social media clowns? We lose 2-0 to relegated Cardiff at home and no boos, Phil Jones scores ANOTHER own goal earlier in the season and we laugh about it. This is probably the best big club in the world to play for and not perform (unless your name is Pogba) because the fans are very tolerant. Sanchez would be slaughtered at Madrid or Barca for his level of performance here. Young and Jones too.

As I said in a previous post, fans with more toxic fan bases/fan aggression are actually doing better than us. Again not condoning it, it’s just a fact.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

Depends on the shirt. And the shades. If they clash, then I for one will get worked up, so help me.
Black shirt with gold rimmed glasses, a nice combination, understated with a touch of class.

He’ll have a good season next year based on his clothing choices.

Edit: just noticed he’s wearing a checkered neckerchief, I’m not so sure now :nervous:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Edit: just noticed he’s wearing a checkered neckerchief, I’m not so sure now :nervous:
Yeah, neckerchief...always a tough one to call. Could mean he's adventurous in a good way - but then again, as a mate of mine likes to say, "why would anyone wear that?". A tie? Fine, sometimes you just have to. But a neckerchief. Still, checkered is good (I think), means he's versatile.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yeah, neckerchief...always a tough one to call. Could mean he's adventurous in a good way - but then again, as a mate of mine likes to say, "why would anyone wear that?". A tie? Fine, sometimes you just have to. But a neckerchief. Still, checkered is good (I think), means he's versatile.
Alternatively, the checks could signify that he's so complacent his career might peter out into irrelevance: a chequered career, no less.

Socks analysis to follow.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Yes it is strange at Chelsea. I would give the manager another season after a pretty decent first year, all things considered.

I’m not condoning booing or entitlement but United fans are comparatively VERY tolerant and I just don’t get the OPs point at all especially when they say players must find it hard here because of negative fans. For fecks sake , What negative fans other than a few social media clowns? We lose 2-0 to relegated Cardiff at home and no boos, Phil Jones scores ANOTHER own goal earlier in the season and we laugh about it. This is probably the best big club in the world to play for and not perform (unless your name is Pogba) because the fans are very tolerant. Sanchez would be slaughtered at Madrid or Barca for his level of performance here. Young and Jones too.

As I said in a previous post, fans with more toxic fan bases/fan aggression are actually doing better than us. Again not condoning it, it’s just a fact.
As ridiculous as it sounds perhaps Utd would be better off if the fans were a bit more toxic. Seriously though I think there is a big difference between the social media warriors and the fans in the stadium.

It is a small minority at Chelsea who boo Sarri and I will be annoyed if we lose a decent manager because of some stupid fans (and a transfer ban). He's done well in his first year. The bad thing for the fans was the 6-0 to City. We looked naïve and the substitutions were badly timed and starting to look a bit predictable. In fairness if Chelsea had lost 0-2 to Cardiff on the last home match of the season I suspect the crowd would have gone berserk long before the final whistle.

I'm old school and could never boo my team let alone slag them on social media.

U99ted

That’s probably the worst example you could have given. Thanks to a combination of his talent, his mentality, support from his fellow players and support from his manager, David Beckham silenced his haters within 12 months. He was a major contributor to the treble. Later he redeemed himself even for those toxic England fans and media, seen as the hero against Greece.

The current crop haven’t had to deal with anywhere near the level of toxicity Beckham did. The fans were clearly behind them in 2014 when they were humbled by Liverpool 0-3 and finished 7th. They get some unacceptable comments on social media, but still don’t get booed very much despite year after year of false dawns. What was the fans most recent reward for all the patience? To watch them fold against a Championship team 0-2. If they’re playing like this now, I’d hate to imagine what they would do if they went through what Becks did.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Any famous person on social media is bound to get vile abuse from a small minority of troglodytes - that's just the law of large numbers in action. Let's not go cherry-picking the most extreme examples and claiming they're representative of our fans as a whole.

Le Red

It won't. That only includes broadcast and merchandising revenue. Matchday revenue is still only "domestic income".

It's completely farfetched, regardless of how poor the season was.

Liverpool haven't won a major trophy 15 years yet they still one of the largest clubs in the world.
United is worth more than 6X as the next Milan club and the downfall of Milan clubs is directly linked to the poor state of the Italian economy during that period.
So yes, your reaction is a knee jerk.
Maybe you're right, but tell me one thing. How are MUFC going to avoid falling behind their rivals on a semi-permanent status, like Arsenal did?

clarkydaz

That’s probably the worst example you could have given. Thanks to a combination of his talent, his mentality, support from his fellow players and support from his manager, David Beckham silenced his haters within 12 months. He was a major contributor to the treble. Later he redeemed himself even for those toxic England fans and media, seen as the hero against Greece.

The current crop haven’t had to deal with anywhere near the level of toxicity Beckham did. The fans were clearly behind them in 2014 when they were humbled by Liverpool 0-3 and finished 7th. They get some unacceptable comments on social media, but still don’t get booed very much despite year after year of false dawns. What was the fans most recent reward for all the patience? To watch them fold against a Championship team 0-2. If they’re playing like this now, I’d hate to imagine what they would do if they went through what Becks did.
And Beckham's performance on the pitch never dropped anywhere near the level of this group. There were plots to kidnap his children etc

Denis' cuff

Beckham always had the support of his club, manager, team mates and fans. It was Abu media whipping up Abu fans into a frenzy.

U99ted

Beckham always had the support of his club, manager, team mates and fans. It was Abu media whipping up Abu fans into a frenzy.
The current players have the first three of those plus the matchgoing supporters (unless Ole is Mourinho 2.0 or they do sit around blaming each other for the 6th place they tried so hard to retain). The abuse they’ve had online is going to be from fed up fans, and surely much less than the effigies, dartboards and death threats that Beckham had to overcome in 98.

As others have suggested, there are players at the mercy of more “toxic” fanbases, or players that have gone through worse abuse than our lot, who seem to cope better. I honestly don’t think keyboard warriors have robbed Sanchez, Young, Lukaku, Lingard or Jones of their confidence as the post I replied to suggested. It’s just that so many of them, even with a patient fanbase, aren’t good enough.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's a bit too easy to blame Mourinho for this but I think this toxicity goes back a lot further than Mourinho.

I would say it has existed since Moyes' days. The likes of Rio, Evra and co were getting abused back then for being cnuts and not letting Moyes do his job (or something along those lines). Club legends who had been here for 10+ years.

Anyone think this statement by Fergie has resulted in a lot of poison being directed towards the players :

The whole stand by your manager thing, I think some people literally took to their hearts. It has meant the anger, frustration and pure poison that builds up due to poor results then gets pointed mostly at the players. Either way, it's a pretty sad state of affairs and the club is not a great place to be if you're a player.
Everyone has an opinion on the internet and when we lose or don't do well enough the opinion on everything is negative. It's the same with any set of fans from what I've seen.

The fans at the games haven't been particularly toxic to the players or managers. In fact they've been remarkably patient compared to fans of other teams.

One thing that doesn't help of late is the perception that the players simply don't work hard enough. A perception not helped by the fact that it constantly looks like they don't and two managers in a row have literally told us they don't, as well as statistics proving that they don't.

It's hard to defend or support people who are failing and not even trying to do anything about it.