g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Why is our fanbase so toxic towards its players?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I blame the weak hearted set of fans that applaud whatever shit those dross served week in week out out of some strange sentimentality of "support them when they play" or "how does booing them helps?"

You dont see this kind of shit mentality at clubs like bayern barcelona or madrid because their fans will rip you a new one and you'd be shipped off faster than you can hand in your transfer request. We never have to resort to that because we have the don of don alex ferguson to play that part.

Boo constant underperformer and the not giving any shit brigade, teach them that support is earnt. Educate them what it means to be United player.

Kapardin

These players, besides being absolutely mediocre, are also severely entitled. Many of them are quite happy with our 6th place so long as they get their wages and promote their clothing lines, choosing to shift blame on whatever unfortunate manager happens to be managing them. As a result, nobody likes them. In contrast, Herrera and Mata may not be talented, but nobody hates them because their attitudes are correct.

The dislike obviously leads to unacceptable levels of abuse from immature people, but the way people criticize them here is fair in my opinion.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
These players, besides being absolutely mediocre, are also severely entitled. Many of them are quite happy with our 6th place so long as they get their wages and promote their clothing lines, choosing to shift blame on whatever unfortunate manager happens to be managing them. As a result, nobody likes them. In contrast, Herrera and Mata may not be talented, but nobody hates them because their attitudes are correct.

The dislike obviously leads to unacceptable levels of abuse from immature people, but the way people criticize them here is fair in my opinion.
And we know this how?

Kapardin

And we know this how?
6 years of mediocrity is not solely on the manager or even Ed, though they share the blame. And are you seriously suggesting Sanchez, Jones or Lingard aren't happy at the moment?

If someone like Ramos or Ronaldo were at the club, they would be furious over the 6th place, not posting "0.012%" on social media.

flappyjay

They deserve all the stick they get. If our fall was similar to AC Milan and we had to buy some cheap guys and pay them Newcastle level wages I think the fans would sympathize to some extent. Instead they are the 3rd highest paid team in world football and can't even perform to be 4th best team in England.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Ah yes, Herrera, the player who clearly gives his all to the club by... turning down contracts and fecking off to warm the bench at PSG.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
6 years of mediocrity is not solely on the manager or even Ed, though they share the blame. And are you seriously suggesting Sanchez, Jones or Lingard aren't happy at the moment?

If someone like Ramos or Ronaldo were at the club, they would be furious over the 6th place, not posting "0.012%" on social media.
I’m suggesting Jones, Lingard and Sanchez aren’t happy at all.

Kapardin

Ah yes, Herrera, the player who clearly gives his all to the club by... turning down contracts and fecking off to warm the bench at PSG.
If you read my post, I implied that such players give their all until their stay at the club. I never said they would be loyal enough to turn down offers better for their career. For what its' worth, I don't rate Herrera much, but its' perfectly ok for players to want to move sometime. Not everyone is Totti.

I’m suggesting Jones, Lingard and Sanchez aren’t happy at all.
But you think Herrera didn't give his all because he made a professional decision to move after 4 odd years. Great logic.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If you read my post, I implied that such players give their all until their stay at the club. I never said they would be loyal enough to turn down offers better for their career. For what its' worth, I don't rate Herrera much, but its' perfectly ok for players to want to move sometime. Not everyone is Totti.

But you think Herrera didn't give his all because he made a professional decision to move after 4 odd years. Great logic.

Please tell me the logic in suggesting that Lingard and Jones are currently happy in how United are doing? Please show me any logic in anything you’ve posted.

What has happened (as with a load of others) is that you’ve ascribed characteristics to players you don’t deem good enough as a way to justify the abuse you want to give them.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
None of us know but worth questioning.
Is it?

If any speculation come in at all about how these players are not trying in training or how they are not fully committed to Manchester United that is fair enough.

But pretty much every footballer have businesses on the side. That’s to be expected. They literally can’t train all day.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I blame the weak hearted set of fans that applaud whatever shit those dross served week in week out out of some strange sentimentality of "support them when they play" or "how does booing them helps?"

You dont see this kind of shit mentality at clubs like bayern barcelona or madrid because their fans will rip you a new one and you'd be shipped off faster than you can hand in your transfer request. We never have to resort to that because we have the don of don alex ferguson to play that part.

Boo constant underperformer and the not giving any shit brigade, teach them that support is earnt. Educate them what it means to be United player.
This 100%.

Our players have taken the fans for granted. They come with shite like "we have to improve" and blah blah but literally do nothing on the pitch

padzilla

Hipster
I think it's clear something is badly wrong at a club that up until 7 years ago won 13 out 20 league titles. No other club in that position across Europe be it a Barcelona, Madrid, Juventus or Bayern has had to endure such an epic plummet in standards both on and off the pitch. Juventus even got relegated by two divisions as punishment but the gap between them winning Serie A titles was less than it was since we last won the PL. It's human nature for fans used to such prolonged success to not want that to end and will lash out - I think the players are obviously not up to it but at some time the ire has to be directed at the decision makers above them.

ayushreddevil9

What can the players do on the pitch if they aren’t up to standard? Magically get better?
They did displayed a great run of form didn't they? Most of them are capable of much better output but something happened after the PsG game and they couldn't even bother to battle for top 4.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
They did displayed a great run of form didn't they? Most of them are capable of much better output but something happened after the PsG game and they couldn't even bother to battle for top 4.
Wait, so what you think is the players just stopped caring?

Is that what some people genuinely think happened?

fecking hell.

ayushreddevil9

Wait, so what you think is the players just stopped caring?

Is that what some people genuinely think happened?

fecking hell.
No. There was a drop in form. Which lasted way too long for a normal fan's liking.

What do you think happened after such a great run?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
No. There was a drop in form. Which lasted way too long for a normal fan's liking.

What do you think happened after such a great run?
We had injuries, a lot of players reverted back to their level and our stamina just wasn’t there to maintain the style of play. Confidence was lost after some poor results and we couldn’t recover in time.

Denis79

Is it?

If any speculation come in at all about how these players are not trying in training or how they are not fully committed to Manchester United that is fair enough.

But pretty much every footballer have businesses on the side. That’s to be expected. They literally can’t train all day.
If we had a good season, this wouldn't even be discussed. Problem is we had a terrible one and actions / activities like these open them up for questioning, even abuse.

They know they are public people and football players in a big club where fans expect a lot. When they use their fame as football players to line their pockets even deeper, it will anger some fans and make them question their "loyalty". Especially after a season like this. Not saying I agree with the abuse they are recieving, I don't. But they do deserve criticism.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If we had a good season, this wouldn't even be discussed. Problem is we had a terrible one and actions / activities like these open them up for questioning, even abuse.

They know they are public people and football players in a big club where fans expect a lot. When they use their fame as football players to line their pockets even deeper, it will anger some fans and make them question their "loyalty". Especially after a season like this. Not saying I agree with the abuse they are recieving, I don't. But they do deserve criticism.
The other day they got loads of shit for how they dressed at a charity game.

SiRed

So what you’re saying is you can give no examples. Instead you cite outside interests like ‘clothing brands’ as an issue, as if you think they lock themselves in a cupboard after double training and rewatch last weeks game, self-flagellating after every mistake they notice.

Can you show me evidence they aren’t putting it in? They aren’t staying late after training? They aren’t approaching the manager with suggestions on how they can improve things? Show me where they aren’t ‘DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.’
What are you the f*cking evidence police?....... Evidence this, evidence that. Tell you what pal, just watch our players attempt to play football every week. That should be evidence enough for you.

And yes, i expect them to live for football whilst they are being payed very handsomely for it. Its a short career where if you put the effort in, financial rewards will follow and you wouldn't need to d!ck about designing clothes that make you look like a complete chump which is ironically what their performances on the pitch currently do.

If you want to make aftershave, design clothes, then pi55 off and do it then and lets leave the football to people that actually want to sacrifice for the cause.

Will Singh

Do you honestly think it's just our fans who are toxic? Take a look at Real Madrid fans and that makes us look like a bunch of pussies who let the players shit all over us...

Seriously if a player isn't giving 100% and takes the piss the fans have got a right to express there opinion.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't want to defend abusing our players but this toxicity is inevitable. Imagine Barca or Madrid being this shit for this long?

MoXoM

Well most of this forum supported Man City for a couple of months there, and I've never met anyone supporting City who wasn't a knob.
:lol:

I also supported City during the title run-in.

I think I need to detox during the Summer! :houllier: :nervous:

Lentwood

Let me use a real world analogy to explain my frustration with these players.....I've worked in Sales now for nearly ten years. That means targets. If you don't hit them, your job is on the line and usually missing by more than a few percent would see you out the door. However, it's not as simple as that. In reality, it's not the fact you DONT hit your target that gets you fired, its HOW you behave when your struggling.

A good salesman who has demonstrated the right behaviours previously will get more leeway. If that person continues to struggle but gets in early, leaves late, asks for more training, throws themselves into lead generation and generally keeps a positive attitude, chances are they will be going nowhere

If a person is struggling and they arrive on-time/late, leave early/on-time, sit around the office moping/complaining about how it's not their fault they don't get good leads etc...etc...and generally behave in a defeated or entitled manner, they will be for the chop!

Now see what I am saying?

These players HAVEN'T got any goodwill to survive on. Most were crap when they arrived, have been crap ever since and still will be next year.

Do they care enough? Well statistically we ran the least of all PL teams last season. Fact. If we were doing well, you wouldn't worry but we are doing terrible - so looks a bit damning, no?! Bit like how the guy smashing his targets might not need to make cold calls but the guy at the bottom of the table best be on the phone all day!

What about attitude? What's with all the hate for social media posts, fashion labels, promo work etc....? Well go back to the analogy. Imagine you are the boss and you see the same chap struggling to hit his targets. You approach his desk for a chat and you see him browsing Twitter. Later that day you find out that he had a 90 minute lunch down the pub. Before everyone leaves you see him entertaining the other staff by running around with a box on his head. As he leaves he shouts he will be working from home tomorrow as his kids are off school. Now what are you going to think about this guy? Should I stick by him despite pressure to fire him? Does he REALLY want to turn it around? More importantly than jusy SAYING that he does (we all want to be successful, correct?), do his BEHAVIOURS demonstrate this?

See my point? There is nothing "wrong" with setting up a clothing range, IF you are hitting your targets. Likewise, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with using social media or having a laugh at training. HOWEVER, the key to that is when you then go out on the pitch, you better at LEAST work your socks off and go down fighting even if you can't win every game.

Just to finish - we've had posters ask for evidence that this players don't care enough. Well even aside from all of the empirical evidence and the statistics on running during games (distance covered and sprints), why not take the word of our current and last manager? Two totally different personalities with different approaches have said that some of these players dont care enough. That I think is the nail in the coffin.The abuse, whilst sometimes going overboard, is because the fans are hurting and they want to lash out and see the players hurt too.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What are you the f*cking evidence police?....... Evidence this, evidence that. Tell you what pal, just watch our players attempt to play football every week. That should be evidence enough for you.

And yes, i expect them to live for football whilst they are being payed very handsomely for it. Its a short career where if you put the effort in, financial rewards will follow and you wouldn't need to d!ck about designing clothes that make you look like a complete chump which is ironically what their performances on the pitch currently do.

If you want to make aftershave, design clothes, then pi55 off and do it then and lets leave the football to people that actually want to sacrifice for the cause.
:lol: What a mess. Go home grandad, it’s late and you’ve missed your medication again.

SwedishFish

Why are our players more concerned with flexing their wealth or building their brand on social media than they are performing on the pitch?

Would be a better question for OP.

The lack of results but moreover the lack of effort has left me disillusioned with the club over the last few years. (with a few exceptions)

youmeletsfly

I find it as normal hate, it happens everywhere and it's not personal. The average fan doesn't like it when players are paid 10 million a year and results are still shite.

Added to that, most of us have been through the Saf period and most of us are still used to his way of doing things. It's a case of the club now being badly ran and us not adapting to modern days, still hoping to find men in football(a very commercial sport, just like being a model).

It is hard to find real men in your everyday life where the pool is much bigger than football.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We're the best behaved supporters in the land

We're the best behaved supporters in the land

We're the best behaved supporters, best behaved supporters, best behaved supporters when we win

We're a right bunch of bastards when we lose

We're a right bunch of bastards when we lose

We're a right bunch of bastards, right bunch of bastards, right bunch of bastards when we lose

Patrick08

7th, 4th, 5 th, 6th, 2nd, 6th. Why should they not be?

They keep repeating same mistakes over and over again goes to show they are not learning a thing from those but taking them like a big joke.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The error was thinking we were special ii n the first place. There's nothing happening here that won't happen at any other top club.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Probably something to do with our squad being one of the most underperforming in sports with regards to money earned vs actual performance!? And the countless examples where they have swanned around on the pitch like they couldn’t give a shit!? Or maybe it’s because the majority seem far more interested in their brand than anything else? It’s just an incredibly unlikeable squad. I mean we have a ‘star’ winger who has all the ability in the world yet goes entire halves of football where he barely moves. If they were genuinely poor players then it’d be more acceptable, we’ve seen numerous times that they aren’t though and that’s the issue I have.

What I don’t understand is why former players such as Keane, Scholes, Neville etc get the level of abuse they do.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well put - 2 goals in the last 17 games both penalties - that’ll show em
Didn't realise a CM was measured soley on scoring goals, also how many non penalty goals does he have for the season, probably more than any other CM right.