Why is the Isle of Man TT still accepted?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Terrible title but not sure how else to phrase it.

I’m surprised that the TT is still going. I know it’s one of the most unique things that people in motorsport can do but the amount of deaths that still happen each year aren’t normal.

Can it be changed? Should it?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Everyone knows what they sign up for, right? Don't see how it's much different from e.g. climbing the Everest or competing in other extreme sports where you know severe injuries or death are a possibility. The organization might need to look at dangerous corners on the track or something like that, of course they should always try to improve the safety of the riders, but don't see why the race shouldn't take place anymore.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everyone knows what they sign up for, right? Don't see how it's much different from e.g. climbing the Everest or competing in other extreme sports where you know severe injuries or death are a possibility. The organization might need to look at dangerous corners on the track or something like that, of course they should always try to improve the safety of the riders, but don't see why the race shouldn't take place anymore.
Of course, but is it possible to increase the safety in it to the standard you’d expect? For example in F1 it was possible to have the Halo which we have seen make a huge difference when it comes to accidents.

The TT doesn’t have anything like that. Come off your bike at 130mph during it and you’re dead. Simple.

Abizzz

Of course, but is it possible to increase the safety in it to the standard you’d expect? For example in F1 it was possible to have the Halo which we have seen make a huge difference when it comes to accidents.

The TT doesn’t have anything like that. Come off your bike at 130mph during it and you’re dead. Simple.
Come off your bike at 75mph in regular traffic and you need two guardian angels to survive too. Bikers accept it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It is a bit surreal really, it's the most dangerous sport on earth by far.

The guys are going out there knowing 1 mistake they are probably dead or at least extremely badly injured.

As others have stated they arent forced into it, it's purely for them to decide if they want to do it or not.

When you see the footage it's quite incredible that more people aren't killed every year tbh.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I just saw a clip of some guy pummeling down a cliff and had to pause. It looked like something out of a videogame.
This one at 0:45 straight up looks like a video game. Jeez.

Abraxas

I have family that live over there so I've seen it a few times. I don't think there's any way to make it much safer in the current format, the roads over there are always up against walls etc. Even if they weren't the roads are all tight, and even when there are no obstacles such as on the mountain you can come flying off down a verge.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I have family that live over there so I've seen it a few times. I don't think there's any way to make it much safer in the current format, the roads over there are always up against walls etc. Even if they weren't the roads are all tight, and even when there are no obstacles such as on the mountain you can come flying off down a verge.
what about if they added another couple of wheels to the bike for stability and then cocooned the rider in some kind of seated cockpit to protect him during accidents?

Abraxas

what about if they added another couple of wheels to the bike for stability and then cocooned the rider in some kind of seated cockpit to protect him during accidents?
It's amazing that this hasn't been considered when they spend tens of thousands on research and development for the bikes.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
It's amazing that this hasn't been considered when they spend tens of thousands on research and development for the bikes.
if yamaha spent less time making piannys and more time thinking about stuff like this then they wouldn’t overlook such basic ideas.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Michael Dunlop (5:30) is very much alive. How he is still motor bike racing after losing his brother and legendary father and uncle to the sport though I have no idea. Must be like heroin addiction
There's a fantastic documentary about the Dunlop family called Road that I really recommend, even if you're not into bike racing it's still a fascinating watch and really shows that all these riders are just a different breed altogether.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It’s a little mental that a race with around 300 deaths, and 15 in one year, still happens.

Then again, Boxing has a far higher toll and we’re cool with it as it doesn’t happen in an instant.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
There's a fantastic documentary about the Dunlop family called Road that I really recommend, even if you're not into bike racing it's still a fascinating watch and really shows that all these riders are just a different breed altogether.
Its an unbelievable show but such a hard watch too at the same time. Devastating story.

Michael winning that race the day or 2 after his father died when he went against everyone's orders from taking part was an incredible story.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
You can't tell the Manx what to do. Oldest parliament in the world and also a convenient place to stash your dodgy money from big Tory giveaway contracts.

It's a great race and the competitors...and spectators know the risks. Its not like boxing where its a maybe, if you make a mistake you're done for no ifs or buts. Its fully known and accepted. It will be a sad day when it is banned as I fear it will be.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Yep that's the one I was talking about. The way his body ragdolls is horrible
That hutchy, still one of the top blokes in the sport.

The problem with the race is that the bikes have got faster but due to the natural layout of the circuit, safety hasn't improved or has barely improved. The end result being laptimes that are 30mph on average quicker than they were 30 years ago but the same safety issues exist if not exacerbated by faster speeds.

As a motorcyclist, it is amazing to watch and equally insane. I am lived that McGuinness still races knowing the risks after the last 5 years he's had. Its like, you're not a legend until you die and that is scary.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Come off your bike at 75mph in regular traffic and you need two guardian angels to survive too. Bikers accept it.
True, but it’s a bit different as in the TT you’re going 130mph on roads that are not designed for those speeds. The roads you’re legally allowed to do 75mph on are designed for higher speeds.

Abraxas

It's a great race and the competitors...and spectators know the risks. Its not like boxing where its a maybe, if you make a mistake you're done for no ifs or buts. Its fully known and accepted. It will be a sad day when it is banned as I fear it will be.
Who's it going to be banned by?

That could only arise from pressure by the British government, but as sad as it is for the people that die and their families, I really don't think it's big enough news to be on the agenda and therefore to cause the British government to intervene in a way that is not customary.

The Manx ain't banning it, it's a fundamental part of their heritage and tourism.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How many die riding in the Superbike Championship?
7 since 1990 in Moto GP and 2 in total in Superbike Champ.

More people died in one year at the TT - 11 in 2005.

36 deaths in the TT since 2010.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
My friend goes every year. He’s really into his bikes. He actually bought Guy Martins leathers- the ones when he last crashed which I think was his last race. (Could be wrong there)

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Who's it going to be banned by?

That could only arise from pressure by the British government, but as sad as it is for the people that die and their families, I really don't think it's big enough news to be on the agenda and therefore to cause the British government to intervene in a way that is not customary.

The Manx ain't banning it, it's a fundamental part of their heritage and tourism.
Yes, the Manx government won't ever scrap it, in my opinion. There will always be riders who want to pit their skill against this incredibly dangerous course. They all know the risks.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Mark Purslow was in the year below me at school, really nice lad and I was gutted to hear about it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm sure the most lethal course in their calendar is the ultimate test and proving ground for these riders who are well aware and actually embracing the notoriety by now. There's no reason for it to be banned when the participants not only know the risks, but are intent in overcoming them.

The optics don't look great, but then again, that's peeping into a world that has nothing to do with sane folk, so your own dial is already set to stunned or mortified, which is neither here nor there to those riders steeped in the history and tradition of the event.

Gavinb33

My wife's uncle used to be a sidecar racer I the 70's and he has raced a few times there and also goes every year, I keep saying one year I'll go over with him I'd love to do it, I've been and watched the road racing at Scarborough a few times.

As for the banning or stopping of the races I can't see it, its such a niche sport that the deaths dont get the same media coverage as say boxing and other sports so there is no pressure.

Also worth noting there is no speed limits on some roads outside the towns and villages on the Isle so if you want to go and blast parts of the course in your own car or bike you can do

Stevondo8

This one at 0:45 straight up looks like a video game. Jeez.

That one at 0:45, he came 2nd in a race the other day.

Im from the Isle of Man, I drive these roads. There seems to begrowing calls locally for it to be banned, and the shambles over the misidentifying the death in the sidecars has really intensified it (although, this was a particularly horrific clash by all accounts and whilst not knowing the full details, it sounds like mis-id’ing could be somewhat understandable).

I think locally at least, the main problem people seem to have with TT is that the government fund it.

Mad Sunday is still a thing, of course. Anyone can have a go then!
Whilst true, a fair chunk of mad Sunday is taken up by a “legacy lap”, where 1000’s do a lap following police. And, more often than not, someone has crashed on the mountain closing the road, so getting a lap in during TT is more difficult than you’d think.

Stevondo8

Another red flag incident in sidecars today. Same place as last Saturday.