Why it’s okay for Pogba to play out his contract year and decide along the way

AFC NimbleThumb

meamth

We win something this season, he stays. I'm confident he will sign a new contract.

If we didn't, he has all the rights and leave for free.

He is 28, this is his last chance for the biggest contract in his life, then if that is what he wants, then go for it.

RuudTom83

Come January or it could be before a big game during the season, do United really want Raiola making a stink in the papers? Sadly any decision over what to do and what not to do with Pogba has to include his agent. Its not worth the hassle tbh.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think the caveat in your closing is frankly unreasonable. Football is a team sport is it not? There is a clear correlation between the quality of one's teammates and one's own output, and this is especially true for positions like defence and midfield. However, this is a bit subjective, and everyone is free to appreciate or not to appreciate a footballer. No problems.

This is the problem I have:

1. You say no one wants to pay for him, though we can all see that they want him for free

2. You believe the club is better off without him (most anti-Pogba fans do) and he is overpaid,

Then why are the anti-pogba fans unhappy that he might run down his contract and leave on a free? Isn't that a win-win-win?

Since you say no one is willing to pay for him, extending his contract will mean he will never leave.

So this only keeps a player here, who you say does not want to be here, and who you don't want to be here, for even longer.

The anti-Pogba fans should be delighted that he might finally move on even if its for free.
Can we? I’d bet it’ll be PSG are the only ones who can afford his crazy bordering on foolish wages relative to his actual output and nothing to do with image, or possibly Juve happily taking him back for a free the second time laughing all the way to the bank at us. I’d bet money on it with you that Real won’t touch him now Zidane is gone. Perez knows his stuff and won’t want the constant distraction, the crazy bastard :lol:

Why would I be happy to lose a 90 million pound asset for free for a second time? I’d rather we got some money for him and used it on the team. If he’s been genuinely world class and he clearly wanted to leave then where were all these important bids?

I’d rather he was consistent and not injured half the time he was here. I’d rather he was actually a world class attacking midfielder and a leader so we wouldn’t have had to sign Bruno in the first place. I’d rather that over 5 years he'd pushed himself and developed the defensive intensity needed to play central midfield and become an actual consistent leading PL player in that position when it was clear what was what we were crying out for.

I’d rather he was settled instead of talking shit through his agent and family every summer since 2018. I’d rather a club actually came in with a bid decent enough so we could have cut ties earlier. I’d rather I didn’t have to hear about how one more year of Pogba and the contract and agent drama is better than him just leaving now.

There are loads of things I’d rather than him staying here an extra year just so he can get a huge signing on fee at PSG for himself and his agent. I support the club over any player. If Pogba worked as hard as Fred or McT off the ball he’d be stonewall world class and universally loved by all utd fans. Pogbas problem is he never bothered nailing down a solid position. A central midfielder who doesn’t defend? An attacker who doesn’t hit consistent numbers? A penalty taker who missed nearly as many as he scored? A player who probably wants to be the best paid player in the league when his form has been patchy for the last 2 years? A player who’s made it clear he doesn’t want to be here repeatedly. I really wonder what the big fans are thinking half the time.

Is he a very good player? Yes on his day he’s amazing but what’s the point if you don’t have consistency and a best position nailed down and there’s a self created circus following your every move and gesture. It’s the definition of hype over substance at this point.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You made the comment, denied making it & got quoted.

No need to call names now, looks like you’re getting riled up in other posts aswell.

For prosperity. . .

Words matter.

You’re drowning in this thread lad, I’d leave.
You're wrong. I never said to stop supporting the club because they disagreed with me. I said they should follow Pogba out of the club because they are clearly more interested in him than they are in United.

Riled up? Drowning? That won't work on me, mate. Try harder.

The Original

Precisely, they all know he isnt worth the stupid money him and his agent demand. How you can question how people are not sick of this ongoing sideshow is beyond me.
Well I never did that, did I?

And now you're defeating your own argument. Him not signing a contract extension is the fastest way for him to leave. So why are you angry that he is doing just that?

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs

And now you're defeating your own argument. Him not signing a contract extension is the fastest way for him to leave. So why are you angry that he is doing just that?
Because the club lose a ton of money on it and it hampers our chances of getting a replacement for him unless Goretska does something similar at Bayern?

AFC NimbleThumb

Not really.

Pogba is a quality player and I hope he stays. But there's no point of giving game time to a player who isn't committed.
You don’t just bench an asset though mate, especially when they’re within their rights to run down their contract.

ITgere are multiple cases of players with years left on their contracts downing tools & many with players running down their contracts professionally.

It’d be rather shortsighted to give such an ultimatum.

There was nowhere near the same outrage when Ander Herrera played the club for PSG riches.

Because, contrary to what Pogba FC believe, he's not world class and no one else wants to buy him.
Firstly, vive la Pogba FC.

Secondly, I’d assert people simply aren’t/weren’t interested at the prices the club quote. Should he leave on a free I highly doubt he’ll be turning out for Crystal Palace next year.

Who’s calling him “World Class” [whatever that is], there were/are members on this forum that will tell you McFred are better players more so. You don’t have to think Pogba is ‘the best’ to see he’s a damn good player, don’t make strawman arguments.

AFC NimbleThumb

Some people on here are playing chess while others are playing checkers, bravo.

The Original

Can we? I’d bet it’ll be PSG are the only ones who can afford his crazy bordering on foolish wages relative to his actual output and nothing to do with image, or possibly Juve happily taking him back for a free the second time laughing all the way to the bank at us. I’d bet money on it with you that Real won’t touch him now Zidane is gone. Perez knows his stuff and won’t want the constant distraction, the crazy bastard :lol:

Why would I be happy to lose a 90 million pound asset for free for a second time? I’d rather we got some money for him and used it on the team. If he’s been genuinely world class and he clearly wanted to leave then where were all these important bids?

I’d rather he was consistent and not injured half the time he was here. I’d rather he was actually a world class attacking midfielder and a leader so we wouldn’t have had to sign Bruno in the first place. I’d rather that over 5 years he'd pushed himself and developed the defensive intensity needed to play central midfield and become an actual consistent leading PL player in that position when it was clear what was what we were crying out for.

I’d rather he was settled instead of talking shit through his agent and family every summer since 2018. I’d rather a club actually came in with a bid decent enough so we could have cut ties earlier. I’d rather I didn’t have to hear about how one more year of Pogba and the contract and agent drama is better than him just leaving now.

There are loads of things I’d rather than him staying here an extra year just so he can get a huge signing on fee at PSG for himself and his agent. I support the club over any player. If Pogba worked as hard as Fred or McT off the ball he’d be stonewall world class and universally loved by all utd fans. Pogbas problem is he never bothered nailing down a solid position. A central midfielder who doesn’t defend? An attacker who doesn’t hit consistent numbers? A penalty taker who missed nearly as many as he scored? A player who probably wants to be the best paid player in the league when his form has been patchy for the last 2 years? A player who’s made it clear he doesn’t want to be here repeatedly. I really wonder what the big fans are thinking half the time.

Is he a very good player? Yes on his day he’s amazing but what’s the point if you don’t have consistency and a best position nailed down and there’s a self created circus following your every move and gesture. It’s the definition of hype over substance at this point.
This isn't about whether he's world-class or lazy, or what not. Let's agree that he is bad for Man Utd and we all want him out (we all don't). Lets also agree that nobody wants him enough to make a serious bid. Fine.

At this point, the only question is whether Pogba should sign an extension (with a pay raise) and wait and see who would pay the kind of money next year, that they are not paying today when he will be a year away from 30. Is that logical?

Or should he just wait it out and leave on a free? That way Utd get at least one more year out of him, and he still gets to leave and go wherever he's wanted.

All of this is assuming that he does want to leave by the way.

This thread is making the case for the merits in him running down his contract and leaving.

Fans are upset because leaving on a free means losing a 90 million pound asset. But the same people say no one is willing to pay for him. So if no one is willing to pay for him, what is the point of the contract extension?

The bolded is the important bit.

clarkydaz

The fastest way him leaving would be for him and his agent to take a pay cut and go now, but they wont do that will they? So whats it all about, he is 28, giving up another year of his prime and been forever wanting to move for what ever reason. So its a bit like crying wolf when really all that matters is who will pay him the most

RUCK4444

I have actually.

The difference between a circus and Pogba is that the artists show their nice tricks on a way more consistent basis.
So in the absence of tricks and animals in what way is it like a circus?

Because Raiola talks to the press and other clubs? Wow, what a circus I must have missed

The Original

The fastest way him leaving would be for him and his agent to take a pay cut and go now, but they wont do that will they? So whats it all about, he is 28, giving up another year of his prime and been forever wanting to move for what ever reason. So its a bit like crying wolf when really all that matters is who will pay him the most
How is a pay cut the issue? The issue is clubs offering Man Utd a reasonable transfer fee.

cyril C

It's within his rights to run down his contract, but it creates massive issues for the club (big wages, player doesn't want to be at this club so should definitely not be a core of the team, we probably won't have enough money to replace him this summer, and next year everybody will know we need a midfielder so will demand high price etc).

I have no sympathy for the guy after the way he and his agent handled the situation, we should put as much pressure as possible on him to leave this summer.
+1

hobbers

He's within his rights to run down the contract while keeping all doors open, of course he is.

But most players would have agents who wanted to give their clients certainty. And certainly not risk their client picking up a serious or even career-ending injury in the season that could lose someone like Pogba £100m+ of future income. Raiola wants to maximise his commission fee above all else.

clarkydaz

How is a pay cut the issue? The issue is clubs offering Man Utd a reasonable transfer fee.
From what we hear story wise in the press there is only PSG seriously willing to pay anything for him feewise. You think the club would refuse £40m over nothing? Paying a fee ultimately means less for Raiola/Pogba.

AFC NimbleThumb

If Pogba worked as hard as Fred or McT off the ball he’d be stonewall world class and universally loved by all utd fans.
The trouble with these statements are that they ignore that McFred give a fraction of what Pogba does give on the ball in contrast.

You’re correct ‘if’ he worked better [I won’t say more because I don’t believe he consciously underperforms] he’d be one of the greatest midfielders ever but he doesn’t, this forum is laden with posts that talk up players strengths over their weaknesses but with Pogba it’s always in reverse.

The many threads on this forum, with rather peculiar reasons to dislike Pogba are proof he’d never be universally loved. That said, when was the last time a player had to be ‘stonewall world class’ just for his own clubs fans to rate him? Feck sake Valencia spent the best part of half a decade hitting the first man on every cross & he got more respect.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The trouble with these statements are that they ignore that McFred give a fraction of what Pogba does give on the ball in contrast.

You’re correct ‘if’ he worked better [I won’t say more because I don’t believe he consciously underperforms] he’d be one of the greatest midfielders ever but he doesn’t, this forum is laden with posts that talk up players strengths over their weaknesses but with Pogba it’s always in reverse.

The many threads on this forum, with rather peculiar reasons to dislike Pogba are proof he’d never be universally loved. That said, when was the last time a player had to be ‘stonewall world class’ just for his own clubs fans to rate him? Feck sake Valencia spent the best part of half a decade hitting the first man on every cross & he got more respect.
I don’t agree. The stats say otherwise and Oles selection policy seems to side with the stats unless one of the lads was injured. Pogba might be much better on the ball but he doesn’t offer more when he’s giving the ball away and not tracking back. It cancels itself out and makes us far easier to beat.

AFC NimbleThumb

Would you take a pay cut at work because a stakeholder took a disliking to you?

AFC NimbleThumb

if id publicly said for a few years i dont like where i work, id go yeah.
He hasn’t ‘said for a few years’ though, you can’t simply exaggerate & extrapolate some comments.

He may want to go [I don’t know I haven’t spoken to him] but that’s not the point you were making, you want him to lower his demands [again assuming you know what they are], so back to the question instead of filling gaps we don’t know answers to. . .

Would you take a pay cut simply because a stakeholder didn’t like you?

Hammondo

The reason why no teams have offered anything is because he's too high risk and his wages are high. So no one will offer much or anything.

clarkydaz

He hasn’t ‘said for a few years’ though, you can’t simply exaggerate & extrapolate some comments.

He may want to go [I don’t know I haven’t spoken to him] but that’s not the point you were making, you want him to lower his demands [again assuming you know what they are], so back to the question instead of filling gaps we don’t know answers to. . .

Would you take a pay cut simply because a stakeholder didn’t like you?
between him his agent and his family its been most of his time here, i think his first season with zlatan was stress free, and thats it. The point is he has kicked up a stink in his time here yet doesnt want to go that much if it hurts his pocket, or reality kicks in other clubs now dont think he is worth it. Whats with the stakeholder thing you are trying to push? id take a paycut to go elsewhere if i publicy said id prefer to be elsewhere. If i was happy where i worked and gave no indication i had reason to leave, no i wouldnt take a paycut where i was currently working

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only thing anyone really cares about is Pogba playing well for us.

Most of us don't care about the constant haircuts, the social media stuff, the oaf of an agent.

Just play well for us.

We'll have had him for 6 years if we keep him all season, so that's not an inconsequential amount of time.
If he did go for free, we've at least had his 6 year key years and we all move on.

Shimo

"Loyalty" - as lay people we have a very different perspective to what loyalty is when it comes to professional football players and clubs.

Let's talk about loyalty by clubs - how many 1000s of youth players do they just end up releasing because they are not up to the standard required. Should they be loyal and give them a new contract even if it's not merited. Clubs are not that loyal to their players and frankly neither are many supporters. Look at how many names players are called, players being likened to criminals for stealing a living, as they are some sort of degenerates or soon as their quality is not up to snuff, then want them out the door, get rid of, bite their hand off if given X amount, good riddance.

Bet many of the people questioning Pogba's loyalty for not resigning and then going on a free have made not so nice comments about players and how they should be discarded with the next trash pick up.

For a professional footballer, most have 4-5 years at the top level, a smaller group may range in the 10-12 years. That's an incredibly short amount of time in this game of life to achieve what they want out of the sport they've trained so hard for all their lives.

Clubs and players recognize that this is business on and emotion of this concept of "loyalty" only goes so far - that is why they enter into these carefully constructed contracts, so both sides can protect their personal goals. As supporters, we need to be a little more empathetic as more and more players start to run down their contracts. Players are doing a job and they have to be allowed to look after themselves, not seen as indentured servants beholden to the club.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He cost 90 million quid and wants more than 350k a week to stay, it comes with the territory I’m afraid. I’d argue he’s the most forced onto a supposedly world class pedestal player I’ve ever seen and his fans have bought into this idea of the player a lot more than the reality of what he actually offers and what he wants from us in return. If he was as good as he and his fans think then another club would have made a serious offer over the years or finally cobbled together the 40 million it’ll cost to buy him this summer but still there’s nothing. Mostly what I see is hype and certain people buying into it and making excuses left right and centre when he doesn’t deliver. If he’s world class then he should be giving us world class value. Can anyone argue he does without blaming other players?
I mean one thing you've gone for straight away is what he cost.

The player doesn't dictate his fee or what he costs.

Yes he's a big earner, but there's both a professional football and a commercial reason as to why Manchester United football club are keen for Pogba to stay. Whatever the solid core fanbase of Manchester United think is irrelevant because like it or not, he has the social profile of someone who brings in millions of pounds of revenue through his own personal cult.

If you have deep rooted issues with Pogba, that's fine...but ultimately the club want him around and it's for them to assess whether the so-called negatives are less than the positives, and that appears to be the case.

Regardless of all that, you don't think it's slightly weird how this guy is analysed? We've had worse players steal a living from the club in years gone by, but because they didn't die their hair blue or because they didn't have a clothing line that's okay?

I sit on the fence with Pogba by all accounts. I dislike the circus (half of which is forced by fans) but I've seen him do enough things on the pitch that other players simply cannot do.

justsomebloke

the context:

back in the summer of 2016, Pogba had all of world footballing in the palm of his hands. He was as exuberant of a player as he was a character being 1 of a kind. What did he do? He decides to go back to his academy days club despite it being poorly run from top to bottom. Long gone are the glory days but he was promised there would be a project built around him to make his decision of joining worthwhile. For the first 3 odd seasons, the club wasn’t able to hold up their end of the bargain for what they wished to Paul. At the same time, he was playing through injuries, frustrations of being let down of those promises, being made the scapegoat for all the teams lack of successes while also being held captive in the sense the team would not sell him even when he did portray he was not enjoying his time. Virtually had no teammates close to his level/ceiling so imagine how that feels, a supposed project yet being left stranded as a player who simply cannot do it all by himself.

Then comes in Ole. Pogba having had over 2 years under him, the rotten stench inside the club is slowly uprooted and a proper vision is laid into motion. It progresses but slowly in due time. From being the stand alone star player bar De Gea for a number of seasons to now being surrounded with the likes of other such stars in Bruno, Cavani, Shaw, Maguire, Varane, AWB, Rashford, Sancho.

…point being, it took Pogba over half the duration of his contract when he signed back with United to start seeing any sort of sustainable progress / those promises. So him being unhappy in certain moments - is it really that far fetched to see why? And it leaves a great dilemma that he will have to a give a big think over, now that steam has picked up and the progress in clear backing of the right kinds of players is there to be seen for all.

he was football’s brightest young star when he left Juventus. He was left disappointed from United’s end for 3 years. The last 2 they have been making amends by becoming stronger. And now in the final season of his contract, he truly has a situation on his hands that no one can honestly blame whichever direction he chooses to go. Maybe he has a sour taste in his mouth from the early years and wants out, maybe he appreciates the recent efforts but still feels it’s too little too late, or maybe he even changes his mind as the year plays out and decides the work done has won him back over.

in any scenario, let’s please stop vilifying the man and at the minimum see the human element to it all. The roller coaster of emotions and such is quite literally what any normal person would think so let’s not pretend to be shocked in any way. I for one will be glad whatever he decides to do and have been able to appreciate his efforts having stuck around all this time :drool:
I think that's a nice post, makes a reasonable argument. He's approaching his last big contract, it's a time of fundamental choice for him. Either he goes with being an integral part of whatever he thinks United is going to achieve in the next few years, or he takes this opportunity to go elsewhere to secure his place in the history books. It seems at least that there's more of an argument for the former presently than there was a couple of years ago. There are some stories emphasising that his relationship with OGS is something that draws in the direction of staying, which is a positive whether you want him to stay or not.

Personally, I'm leaning in the direction of it being better that he moves on, primarily because it's so difficult to fit him into our lineup and style of play. But he is a great player, it's hard to be sure.

Breaking today “Pogba can see his long term future at Man Utd but at 28 y/o his aware that this could be his last big contract so wants to assess all options “

I love Pogba, think he’s a great player and love his confidence and persona. But I’d respect that statement if it said “at 28 he wants to be winning major club trophies and want to assess if the club he commits the next 4-5 years to will be the one that can do that “ then I’ll think great, I totally get it, let’s sign a deal with a release clause of say £60m for only next summer which only activates if United fail to reach certain targets.

But this comment makes me think Pogba doesn’t have that desperate to win mentality. Do we really want him at our club? You can have all the talent in the world, but when you’re losing in the SF of CL, or 3-7 points behind the club that sits top of the league if you don’t view it as an insult and give 150% to reverse it and are just happy collecting your pay check that mentality will spread.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

I don’t agree. The stats say otherwise and Oles selection policy seems to side with the stats unless one of the lads was injured. Pogba might be much better on the ball but he doesn’t offer more when he’s giving the ball away and not tracking back. It cancels itself out and makes us far easier to beat.
If you argument is stats, fine but do so in good faith. An example, McFred both have higher passing percentages [based on last season] so on the face of it you’d say they are better passers but both make less attempts at ‘Progressive Passes’ whilst also completing less so do they have a higher pass percentage because they are better passers or because they generally play less challenging passes?

The stats, as I read them [no expert], appear to show Pogba doing more offensively whilst McFred provide more on defence - I wouldn’t say that’s a suprise. I’d personally like us to play 4-3-3 but as OgS has tied himself to 4-2-3-1 then yes McFred can sit back & not do much else in his set up.

If the aim of the midfield is to have 2 players pass sideways then yes they’re more efficient but don’t just use stats without context.

Pogba is a liability on the ball at times but you talk as if McFred are not.

AFC NimbleThumb

between him his agent and his family its been most of his time here, i think his first season with zlatan was stress free, and thats it. The point is he has kicked up a stink in his time here yet doesnt want to go that much if it hurts his pocket, or reality kicks in other clubs now dont think he is worth it. Whats with the stakeholder thing you are trying to push? id take a paycut to go elsewhere if i publicy said id prefer to be elsewhere. If i was happy where i worked and gave no indication i had reason to leave, no i wouldnt take a paycut where i was currently working
I’m not trying to ‘push’ an argument. You’re creating a non-existent situation where Pogba has, ‘publicy said id prefer to be elsewhere.’ which he hasn’t.

He’s been complementary of other clubs when asked & spoken of his frustrations at United, multiple times but that’s not asking to leave or saying he wants to be elsewhere. It’s more than possible I missed the instances but you’ve said he has spoken of wanting to leave multiple times over the course of a few years, that’s quite the accusation.

Hell, I’d take a pay cut to work elsewhere if I hated where I worked too but that isn’t the situation Pogba is in hence me asking would you take a pay cut because an ill informed stakeholder [some fans] don’t like you.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
I really don't understand where is the problem here for some of you and why all this hate. Player wants to do what is the best for him and in this case, it is to wait next summer.
We as a club had upper hand last few years. We declined (if rumours are true) some offers for him and waited with new contract. Now he has advantage.

I don't see anything odd or wrong in all this.
Precisely.

There’s so much hypocrisy of Pogba running down his contract to decide his future when players of past have done the same while not getting demonized like he has.

The bolded is bang on. People are saying there is some sort of onus for Pogba to push for a transfer so the club can recoup money of his original sale. But that is not in Pogba’s control. In fact, the club held him captive when he was unhappy under José and clearly wasn’t enjoying his time here while hinting that a fresh start would do him good. A lot of things have led to this moment with him standing where he does with his contract and you can’t blame him for it. Even now, there’s been reports of clubs offering to buy him this summer… who are the one’s in charge of a move? Not Pogba. The club. They are the ones still not selling him.

just as the club didn’t sell him a few years ago, they are still hesitant to do so now. Clearly they are more comfortable with Pogba playing his current contract out instead of making a little bit of money in a sale. United+Pogba seem to happily be on the same page at this moment but for some reason, certain fans think they know better than them and are cynical for reasons which neither the club or player have / simply don’t care about.

littleman

It's well within his rights to run his contract down

Doesn't change that we should sell him

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I don't expect royalty, only professionalism

Pogba has shown lack of it from day 1, he never really fought for his paycheck In my eyes. If you don't find your current employer good enough, air it behidn the screen, ask for transfer in an amicable way. The equivalent of this is when clubs forced players like BFS out by playing him in reserves, that's just not the way you do things.
This. Pogba can be truly world class on his day, but that does not justify all this shite.

If he does end up running down his contract and leave on a free transfer next summer, hes a Heinze-tier scum in my eyes

clarkydaz

I’m not trying to ‘push’ an argument. You’re creating a non-existent situation where Pogba has, ‘publicy said id prefer to be elsewhere.’ which he hasn’t.

He’s been complementary of other clubs when asked & spoken of his frustrations at United, multiple times but that’s not asking to leave or saying he wants to be elsewhere. It’s more than possible I missed the instances but you’ve said he has spoken of wanting to leave multiple times over the course of a few years, that’s quite the accusation.

Hell, I’d take a pay cut to work elsewhere if I hated where I worked too but that isn’t the situation Pogba is in hence me asking would you take a pay cut because an ill informed stakeholder [some fans] don’t like you.
He has said himself maybe it was time for a new challenge, his brothers in the past have been on euro tv being interviewed about him and i cant count the number of times his agent has said he is determined to find pogba a new club/ he wont sign a new contract with United. Raiola in his public rant was also kind enough to say he would advise players not to go Manchester United. Why on earth do you think pogba gets all this heat, its a big misunderstanding?

Again what has disgruntled fans got to do with him taking a paycut, that makes no sense. i said if he wants to leave bad enough (as in ASAP being in his peak years) he isnt that in demand anymore so he and his agent wont be pocketing all the money. Other people seem to grasp this fine

Last edited: