Why it’s okay for Pogba to play out his contract year and decide along the way

Lj82

It is perfectly ok for Pogba to take his time. I genuinely have no hard feelings about that. It is his career, and it is his right. As a fan of the club, I am disappointed that he did not fulfil his potential with us, but it is what it is.

I personally think that if he does not sign the contract extension, we should be looking to sell him and sign a replacement. The player looks after his own interest, and the club needs to look after its own interests.

ROFLUTION

They're leeching on us if he doesn't renew. Raiola sees a big agent fee coming if he just runs down his contract and PSG uses the transfer fee they could give this year to Raiola and Pogba instead.

We probably wont just place him on the bench for a season, so other players seeing this is an opportunity to act this way at United could be damaging to team morale.

It creates a situation where other players see this as a normal way of acting and it's poisonous as players lose focus due to this + it creates bad negotiation situations with the new replacement player that has to replace a player like Pogba.

Basically we're losing more money than just on Pogba by running down his contract. Investment-wise, this is a terrible case for buying Raiola players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not. We should give him an ultimatum and if he's not sure he decide while sitting in the stands for the next year

AFC NimbleThumb

Personal is probably the wrong word, to be fair.

I actually did it myself with my 'personal disliking' comment above :rolleyes:
I get you mate, it’s easy to get carried away; I’m sure at some point I’d have done it on here.

It would be rather legitimate to criticise his performances but a rather vocal contingent take digs about things they simply don’t know.
Some of the stuff written about him is way overboard, sure, but that's just fans staying true to their nature.
Nah, he's a dick
Fanatical indeed.
They're leeching on us if he doesn't renew. Raiola sees a big agent fee coming if he just runs down his contract and PSG uses the transfer fee they could give this year to Raiola and Pogba instead.

We probably wont just place him on the bench for a season, so other players seeing this is an opportunity to act this way at United could be damaging to team morale.

It creates a situation where other players see this as a normal way of acting and it's poisonous as players lose focus due to this + it creates bad negotiation situations with the new replacement player that has to replace a player like Pogba.

Basically we're losing more money than just on Pogba by running down his contract. Investment-wise, this is a terrible case for buying Raiola players.
Herrera did this a few years ago & was given a farewell video with a thread on here that was truly cringeworthy.

If anything he should be highlighted for setting the precedent as if Pogba were to end up at PSG he’d be following the blueprint to a T.

The sooner fans just admit they have an irrational dislike of Pogba instead of making up nonsense the better.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No, not a ‘personal disliking’. We don’t know him personally.

The issue I’ve had with a number of Pogba posts on here is they discuss him as if they do know him. We see him a maximum of 2 times a week for 90 minutes & read/watch some heavily edited interviews from time to time. That isn’t a reason to call him some of the things he is on here.

Is him running down his contract infuriating, I suppose but if we rated him that highly as a club we should have offered him terms years ago. The clubs mismanagement is being ignored in this one.
And this is based on what?
You think this is the first time we offered him a contract extension?
Sorry but I think it's utterly naive to think we didn't do that in previous years, especially when he was more important for us than he is now.
The only reason why it was reported last week he declined to sign a new deal is because somebody decided to make it public, most likely from the club side but can be both.
It's very likely the same situation happened last year, but the club kept quiet.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ramos - Free
Donnurumma - Free
Widjnaldum - Free
Herrera - Free
Pogba - Free

This is starting to look like a pattern PSG are approaching and I think it personally says alot about Pogba personality that he would do that to United after we payed 90 million pounds for him and to enjoy him play for us.

Instead I'm supposed to lick his a**e for a year, pay him whilst I do it and scream my support every game whilst he most likely wont achieve shit all for another season here. Umm okay thanks, I've got other players and a club I enjoy watching and supporting.

PSG are mugs, Raiola is a mug.

Everyone knows it but refuses to accept that Pogba is part of one already and is about to join another..

Also, I understand footballers are human and I didn't get hurt once that Rooney turned his head once and got turned on by a potential transfer to City - because for me he ultimately didn't do it. It's okay for people to sometimes contemplate new things and challenges they maybe shouldn't have by mistake if they end up doing the right thing like Rooney did by not moving to a rival.

Last edited:

EngimaMK

Sorry, I have now been corrected... Turns out that I don't think Pogba is a bit of a dick. Apologies for my wrong think.

He's great.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
the context:

back in the summer of 2016, Pogba had all of world footballing in the palm of his hands. He was as exuberant of a player as he was a character being 1 of a kind. What did he do? He decides to go back to his academy days club despite it being poorly run from top to bottom. Long gone are the glory days but he was promised there would be a project built around him to make his decision of joining worthwhile. For the first 3 odd seasons, the club wasn’t able to hold up their end of the bargain for what they wished to Paul. At the same time, he was playing through injuries, frustrations of being let down of those promises, being made the scapegoat for all the teams lack of successes while also being held captive in the sense the team would not sell him even when he did portray he was not enjoying his time. Virtually had no teammates close to his level/ceiling so imagine how that feels, a supposed project yet being left stranded as a player who simply cannot do it all by himself.

Then comes in Ole. Pogba having had over 2 years under him, the rotten stench inside the club is slowly uprooted and a proper vision is laid into motion. It progresses but slowly in due time. From being the stand alone star player bar De Gea for a number of seasons to now being surrounded with the likes of other such stars in Bruno, Cavani, Shaw, Maguire, Varane, AWB, Rashford, Sancho.

…point being, it took Pogba over half the duration of his contract when he signed back with United to start seeing any sort of sustainable progress / those promises. So him being unhappy in certain moments - is it really that far fetched to see why? And it leaves a great dilemma that he will have to a give a big think over, now that steam has picked up and the progress in clear backing of the right kinds of players is there to be seen for all.

he was football’s brightest young star when he left Juventus. He was left disappointed from United’s end for 3 years. The last 2 they have been making amends by becoming stronger. And now in the final season of his contract, he truly has a situation on his hands that no one can honestly blame whichever direction he chooses to go. Maybe he has a sour taste in his mouth from the early years and wants out, maybe he appreciates the recent efforts but still feels it’s too little too late, or maybe he even changes his mind as the year plays out and decides the work done has won him back over.

in any scenario, let’s please stop vilifying the man and at the minimum see the human element to it all. The roller coaster of emotions and such is quite literally what any normal person would think so let’s not pretend to be shocked in any way. I for one will be glad whatever he decides to do and have been able to appreciate his efforts having stuck around all this time :drool:
This is barely believable, but sadly it does show the state of the game today.

I mean there is player power and then there is THIS.

You are basically saying because Utd. 'mislead' him in 2016 we owe it to him to let him run his contract down and then get a 700k or 800k a week contract elsewhere as a free agent. Rubbish.

Nobody should be bigger than the club. Nobody.

Last edited:

SirAnderson

It's not. We should give him an ultimatum and if he's not sure he decide while sitting in the stands for the next year
Woodward:

Calm:
"I'm sorry Paul, we gave you and ultimatum, and since you didn't sign an extension and the window has closed, you will have to sit in the stands to watch all our games this season, because we can force you to sit in the stands, it's part of your contract. Real sorry, cheers."

Assertive: "Look, it is what it is, you look out for you, we do the same, and we feel it's best you sit out in the stands all season, because you know, we do us, you do you."

Passionate: "You have so much potential, you can be one of the best in the world, amazing amazing player, it is so unfortunate that you will have to be watching from the stands this season and we don't get to see you play your best football, all because you didn't want to sign the extension. Amazing play though, wow."

Aggressive: "How DARE you think you can run down your contract? Huh? You and your agent have brought this on yourself. Now get out, and see you in the stands for the rest of this season. Good riddance. PSG will suit you well."

Did it go something like this on FM? :lol:

AFC NimbleThumb

And this is based on what?
You think this is the first time we offered him a contract extension?
Sorry but I think it's utterly naive to think we didn't do that in previous years, especially when he was more important for us than he is now.
The only reason why it was reported last week he declined to sign a new deal is because somebody decided to make it public, most likely from the club side but can be both.
It's very likely the same situation happened last year, but the club kept quiet.
So let’s say we offered him a contract 3 years ago, then 2 years ago & last year for him not to sign those, why would we suddenly believe he’d sign one now? That would infact be naive from the club, no.

No need to be sorry lad, your post is proof of mismanagement - if [as you assume] he’s been offered terms & turned them down previously why is he, A) still at the club, B) why has he not been replaced?

‘It’s very likely’, ‘you think’, what an utter sham of a post. If your assumptions are true, the mismanagement is in letting this occur again; Herrera did the same thing a few summers ago! Which would show the club has not learnt their lesson.

SirAnderson

Also, supporting a player that chooses to run down his contract and leave on a free is just wrong on every level.

Are we United or Pogba fans?
I personally think he will renew, hence I'm more inclined to speak with optimism. Come end of the season and he leaves on a free, I definitely will feel pissed off by it.
Was gutted when the club (rightly so because of what he was asking for if it is to be believed) let Herrera go on a free. But you still had many pinning for him a year or 2 on in some threads. Once he left, that was that, I couldn't bother about him anymore.
Only player I follow after their United time has been Ronaldo.
(Laughing in the Lukaku thread doesn't count, does it? :nervous:)

sugar_kane

Really quite sick of the Pogba sob story about us not having the right players around him. Did that stop Bruno, does that stop Grealish at Villa? Gerrard, Le Tissier, all great midfielders who dragged up the mediocrity around them rather than sinking with them.

The Athletic made a good point in their article this week that maybe whether Pogba plays well or not is more down to whether he is motivated rather than who plays alongside him.

Brightonian

Both parties are well within their legal rights to choose to do what they've chosen to do. Both are likely to act professionally (United won't throw him into the reserves, Pogba won't refuse to play).

It's only the football fans that get their knickers in a twist.
This. Neither club nor player have done anything wrong or unprofessional the whole time he's been here. His agent has spoken out of turn a couple of times, as he is famous for doing, but only fans get so worked up about these things.

RUCK4444

Oh boo fecking hoo. Can we please stop talking about this simple oaf? The man got offered an obscene amount of money and decided to apply his circus act in Manchester.

It did obviously not work out, mainly because his heart just isn’t in it. And now he wants to try it somewhere else, but no one in their right mind would pay the money he wants + the transfer fee. Especially not in these times.

So the man is stuck where he is, and will just run his contract down and take his chances next summer. End of story.
Have you been to a circus before? Genuinely interested.

The Original

Also, supporting a player that chooses to run down his contract and leave on a free is just wrong on every level.

Are we United or Pogba fans?
You sound more like a Glazers fan actually, as you're so concerned with making sure they get their millions.

Do you not understand that the club is a business?

When Pogba and his agent do business with Man Utd, they aren't dealing with the fans, they're dealing with business people who care much less about the fans.

He's entitled to put his career and interests first. You, being a fan may not like it but it's really not something that should concern you.

I would have thought the fans would simply be happy to have a good player for one more season, instead if getting so bent out of shape over 45 million.

If losing a potential 45 million in income meant finally having a world class first team competing at the highest levels wouldn't that be a piece you would be happy to pay?

All of this ignores the fact there have been no offers. So what's the guarantee that he can move for that 45 million next year??

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So let’s say we offered him a contract 3 years ago, then 2 years ago & last year for him not to sign those, why would we suddenly believe he’d sign one now? That would infact be naive from the club, no.

No need to be sorry lad, your post is proof of mismanagement - if [as you assume] he’s been offered terms & turned them down previously why is he, A) still at the club, B) why has he not been replaced?

‘It’s very likely’, ‘you think’, what an utter sham of a post. If your assumptions are true, the mismanagement is in letting this occur again; Herrera did the same thing a few summers ago! Which would show the club has not learnt their lesson.
You said "we should've offered him a deal years ago", without any evidence and against all logic so stop patronizing me.

I don't think we believe he'll sign, and I am certain he's on his way out. This is why we brought Bruno in. Which turned out even better than expected, and why I am not so worried about losing Pogba.

If he decides he'll run the contract down there's nothing we can do to stop him, if you consider that as bad management by the club, then fine.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
You sound more like a Glazers fan actually, as you're so concerned with making sure they get their millions.

When Pogba and his agent do business with Man Utd, they aren't dealing with the fans, they're dealing with business people who care much less about the fans.

He's entitled to put his career and interests first. You, being a fan may not like it but it's really not something that should concern you.

I would have thought the fans would simply be happy to have a good player for one more season, instead if getting so bent out of shape over 45 million.

If losing a potential 45 million in income meant finally having a world class first team competing at the highest levels wouldn't that be a piece you would be happy to pay?

All of this ignores the fact there have been no offers. So what's the guarantee that he can move for that 45 million next year??
Agree with much of this. Football fans don't think like business people but having Pogba for an extra year is a short-term gain that seems to indicate the board would like to use him for a direct title push this year. Cashing in on him would indicate the opposite - a season of transition.

I also don't think 45m would be enough to get a 1:1 replacement at an equivalent value. Look no further than how much Grealish is going for...

Mainoldo

Mata did it. We said nothing.

Fellaini did it. We said nothing

welshwingwizard

It is perfectly ok for Pogba to take his time. I genuinely have no hard feelings about that. It is his career, and it is his right. As a fan of the club, I am disappointed that he did not fulfil his potential with us, but it is what it is.

I personally think that if he does not sign the contract extension, we should be looking to sell him and sign a replacement. The player looks after his own interest, and the club needs to look after its own interests.
Exactly this. To be honest with you what annoys me most about this whole sage is when people say we didn't do enough as a club to support him.

As you have said he didn't perform like a top class player. He didn't contribute. If we had paid 30/40 million for him I think people's attitudes would be a lot different and he would have been viewed as doing a good job.

But for what we paid for him he simply hasn't delivered. And whilst it wasn't his fault that we paid that much, it seems to me (perhaps more through his agent) that he has the entitlement and lack of humility of a world class player without ever being world class for us.

To such an extent that I would have got rid last season to bring in a more rounded midfield. He is a part that doesn't fit.

I don't think he will be great at PSG if he goes but he will win things because their players don't need to have the same level of consistency as top players in the premier league. He can be a 10/10 player once every three games but at United we need players who are 8/10 all the time.

frostbite

Did this ever happen to SAF? An expensive player to run up his contract?

If not, what do you think that SAF would do in such a situation?

Maticmaker

Pogba is now reaching the zenith of his playing career, at least in terms of age.

If in this coming season, surrounded by our new players he has his best season ever; United win the PL and a major cup competition and he gets the Ballon d'Or. What then and how will we as fans feel if he walks off to PSG (or whoever) and because of lack of transfer fee his personal salary is even better than he's on now, and United gets nothing?

Will having the best season of his career and at United, combined with our success, etc. be enough for the fans to say "well done Paul, your fooled us for a few seasons, but good on yer mate best of luck"?

Right now, reading other posts, I honestly couldn't answer that question.

AFC NimbleThumb

You said "we should've offered him a deal years ago", without any evidence and against all logic so stop patronizing me.
You replied by saying it was naive to think we hadn’t, ‘without any evidence’ but have at it mate, you’re doing a stellar job debunking your own post.

To clarify. We should have offered him a suitable contract & if he wasn’t willing to sign, dealt with it prior to now.

It’s all speculation from a keyboard though, we don’t know when & what terms; what we do know is we have an asset about to leave in similar fashion to our former no.21 but the fans don’t seem quite so forgiving.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I really don't understand where is the problem here for some of you and why all this hate. Player wants to do what is the best for him and in this case, it is to wait next summer.
We as a club had upper hand last few years. We declined (if rumours are true) some offers for him and waited with new contract. Now he has advantage.

I don't see anything odd or wrong in all this.

POF

The Athletic made a good point in their article this week that maybe whether Pogba plays well or not is more down to whether he is motivated rather than who plays alongside him.
Is that really ground breaking?

That's pretty obvious to everyone isn't it?

zenith

Jose was right, pogba is a virus.

France would have won the world cup without him and juve would have won all those titles without him as well

Glorio

Agreed, also doesn't mean they have to insult, and suggest he should not be treated as a human.
But hey, I hear that's suppose to be what fans do. Guess I'm not a fan then :confused:
No, I don't think he should be insulted and mistreated (if anyone is saying that). It's Ok for fans to feel disappointed though

R'hllor

When it comes to Pogba, some people in here need help. Also funny how pricks on their high horses looking down on so called moaners, telling them to support the manager, team, players etc. when in reality they just support players they like, Pogba not being only example, Martial too during JM etc. bunch of hypocritical cnuts.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

This is getting beyond ridiculous. The mental leaps people will take to defend the indefensible never ceases to amaze.

I shouldn't have to explain why Pogba running down his contract and leaving on a free would upset United fans. If you are a United fan, then you'd automatically know.