Why it’s okay for Pogba to play out his contract year and decide along the way

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Players not signing a new contract and moving on a free has happened quite a few times, it doesn't mean to the player is a terrible person.

Didn't you guys originally get Pogba for free from a French side who wanted him to stay but he didn't sign their contract?
The difference being Pogba was an unknown 17 year old when we signed him from Le Havre (I think), with no market value. He's a world class player today, and the club stands to lose a fortune if he chooses to leave on a free. A fortune that could be spent on his replacement this window.

A terrible person? No, not from what I've heard anyway. He's a well-liked character around the dressing room by all accounts. But selfish? Absolutely.

DickDastardly

I don't think anyone is labeling Pogba as a terrible person.

Nobody knows him personally, and even if they did, still doesn't mean feck all.

We're only talking about Pogba the player, his appereances on the pitch, his agents antics in the public, his brothers interviews, etc.

We all had so much hope in Pogba the player, the truth is, he just hasn't delivered what we all hoped for.

He wasn't the spark we needed.

We might go on again for the hundred time if that was his fault, or he wasn't surrounded by better players, etc, etc....still won't get us far in the discussion.

Point being - nobody wants the club to be held ransom by his fat feck of an agent.

Another point - it just might be the case that Pogba doesn't suit us at all.
It wouldnt be the first case of a World class player not suiting our stlye of play, or even better, our legacy, our history....

He's another case of Veron, or a Coutinho if you like.

I truly believe we will be a better team without him.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Possible but unlikely I’d say. Why? We can only go off the information we know of. All credible reports, even this current summer, point to that United don’t want to sell him or have wanted a higher fee than what they have been offered. That’s United’s decision. If they really wanted Pogba gone as much as some fans say, then they’d simply accept and move on.
United have painted themselves into a corner over Pogba. If any club where genuinely interested in him and if United hadn't put such a ridiculous price on him he would of been long gone by now but nobody wants to buy Pogba. Raiola has tried to put him on the market at least 3 times that we know of but nobody has bitten which says more about Pogba than the club tbh. We're now at the stage where Pogba/his fatfeck sgent holds all the cards. Have the club messed up over Pogba? Of course they have and the best we can hope for is Madrid buy Mbappe this summer, which could open a deal to take Pogba to PSG for some transfer deal as their French talisman.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Offer him a new 4 year deal on the same money he's on now and say take it or leave it. Under no circumstances should we make him our highest earner. What a terrible statement that sends out to the other players. He hadn't deserved it. Not even close to deserving it. The knock on effect on player contracts could cause us a lot of trouble.

Nobody is knocking down the door to sign him either it seems. Maybe clubs have worked out that despite his talent he's just not very easy to accommodate just like we've found out.

Personally if it was me in charge I'd go one further. I'd say that he only gets a new contract if he sacks that fat greeseball of an agent first. Under no circumstances should that fat Italian gobsh1t3 be associated with this football club ever again.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The difference being Pogba was an unknown 17 year old when we signed him from Le Havre (I think), with no market value.
Nah, he wasn't unknown, he was one of the most exciting prospects in the world. Captain of the U17 side.

You signing him on a free caused a huge stink at the time. I'm sure the older members on here will.back me up on that point.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If that's what he is going to do, then let him rot in reserve and waste 1 year of his career.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Nah, he wasn't unknown, he was one of the most exciting prospects in the world. Captain of the U17 side.

You signing him on a free caused a huge stink at the time. I'm sure the older members on here will.back me up on that point.
You could be right, my memory is less than reliable at the best of times, but the point that Pogba carried no immediate market value at the time still stands. He has to be worth somewhere in the region of £60 million in today's market.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
A player is an asset of the club. Let's say you bought a horse for £100m. Now somehow the horse decides to run away to your neighbor. You simply lost your £100m. That horse get £50m from your neighbor because he would have to pay you £100m if he has to buy your horse. That £50m is simply your money. Should you be okay with both the fecking horse and your neighbor? They're fecking stealing from you and laughing their tits off all the fecking way.
Bit early for drinking isn’t it?
:lol:

redmanx

Its not even close. Beckham had a lot of credit in the bank with the team. There were years, in some of our best seasons as a club, where Beckham was our best player. He was far more influencial at the time the Giggs and Scholes; with Keane and Van Nistelrooy being the only players at the time who could be considered better than him. He was a credit to the club on and off the pitch, so when this row with Fergie occured, no one could really fault Beckham's reaction despite the fact that Fergie's frustrations were understood.

Pogba came and imo was hyped to the moon due to the fact that he left United in the first place. I don't believe Pogba would ever have had that celebrity without United fans consistently going on about the one that got away. It's the reason why a lot of fans didn't know how he actually played, and were shocked during both the euros and by November 2016 when they realised that he wasn't the Yaya Toure regen they had been sold on. Anyone who knows anything about Italian football would understand that the midfield translation due to their heavy focus on keeping things central and playing with deeper defenses meant that Pogba had the time and space to drive, play beautiful passes and look physically dominant week in week out; with his position on the pitch not actually existing in the English game ( very similar to Veron). This need to find a position for him and the lack of quality in the team at the time, meant that Pogba was a much bigger focus and superstar than he was supposed to be. Which gave him the confidence to publicly reject playing in a deeper role in 17/18 ( where he had a fantastic first half of the season) and began the toxic warfare with Mourinho which divided the dressing room. This is when his agent and brother started spouting rubbish to the media, promoting more negative focus on United. In the derby, he even died his hair blue, some like to make it out to be naive, but that began a trend of Pogba and the team around him doing stunts that brought negative attention to the club with his fans claiming naivity. The hope was that Mourinho leaving would bring peace to the club, but the Pogba circus continued. United were weakest in the calender year 2019, and when United needed him, through injury and press releases from parties around him, Pogba wasn't there. In a club trying to rebuild and start a future team, Pogba was a key stumbling block, particularly in the first half of the 19/20 season. Yes he was seemingly injured, but the perception was that Pogba would never play for United again, and this when when his agent was loudest, criticizing the club both on and off the pitch with Pogba seemingly on the sideline saying nothing; showcasing his lack of care for the club to some. Then Bruno came and the impact was instant. He was proof that Pogba's average performances and poor leadership were not because of surrounding players, but rather weaknesses of his own. Since then, United haven't felt tied or even in need of Pogba and Pogba's team have been a bit more quiet and have been pushing more for an extension. 2 years ago, United would likely have paid Pogba what Raiola demanded, now United have the superstar talent and performers that allow Pogba look redundant. Pogba hasn't been a positive influence to the team in the time he's been here, Beckham clearly had an excellent impact and influence, so the fan reactions have been different and deservedly so.
That sums up Pogba...average. He has the ability to be great but his performances, 95% of them, have been average.

Jim Beam

Think that the case (when it comes to Pogba) is that both sides are going to extremes. One is painting a picture of a horrible person, virus and so on while the other is painting a picture of some absolutely brilliant player when it is obvious he has his flaws and in general his time here was solid at best, even disappointing and underwhelming considering his qualities if we are honest (yes, some of that is a bit on the club also).

There is a group of people who is mostly indifferent towards him and just want a resolution of his status here thinking that he doesn’t deserve a massive increase in his salaries and becoming the highest earning player in the club. How can you even justify that decision when (if Rashford is healthy) there are question marks of playing him as a starter in first 11 in the biggest games of the season?

If he signs a new contract under similar conditions I would be happy. If we sell him this summer all good again and best of luck. If he leaves on a free, well it is feck up from the club in a sense that we didn't solve it earlier (tbf it is very likely we didn't get any acceptable offer in the last 2 years). You can't say, though, that a prospect of seeing him in the same team with Bruno, Maguire, Shaw, Rashford, Sancho, Cavani, Varane, etc isn't at least a bit appealing. In the end, there seems to be no valuable offer atm and no other choice. In any case, I certainly wouldn't give him that big, massive contract and an increase in salaries as things now stand.

Bottom line, both sides going into extremes are wrong.

redmanx

Where does the belief that Pogba has played well consistently come from? He has been average consistently with a few decent performances and a sprinkling of good performances, but over the 5 years since he returned he has been average. The amount of times he goes missing, gives the ball away, tries self indulgent tricks and loses the ball, gets pushed off the ball and sits on his arse wailing for a free kick. Yes hes scored a few goals, nut not enough; yes hes made "assists" but again not enough for a player of his undoubted calibrePogba has performed, on average across all the games hes played, averagely. I dont dislike the guy, Ive never met him, but regarding his career as a footballer at United I simply dont rate him. Who ever pulls a United jersey on I will support him, but once its clear a player simply doesnt want to play for us anymore and disrespects the club and supporters by trying to orchestrate a move I no longer feel I owe him any allegiance. Yes, it was his agent who was mouthing off abouthim wanting to leave etc but Pogba knew what he was going to say and do but let him and didnt even offer an apology.

Mainoldo

Because no one cares about Mata. He's not going to fetch a transfer fee and was barely playing, whereas Pogba was playing and well (when he wasn't injured). Also Pogba's much younger, and much more of a salable asset. You don't make the rules but are you not capable of understanding the difference?
Well according to most you’d think he’s as crap as Mata and he can’t get ahead of McTominay so maybe all those same fans should mind there business about what he does.

Irrational.

He’s never been truly committed to us. He refused to shut his agent up when he spoke out of turn against the club. The moment things weren’t going well he downed tools. He’s had a handful of world class performances for the club (if you can call them that). Somehow that justifies £90 million or whatever we paid for him.

Now he is waiting to run his contract down so he and his slug of an agent can get a big juicy sign-on fee.

Yet some fans on here are baffled why he’ll never have the same respect from the fans as we do for the other stars at the club.

If he signs for PSG and plays against us in the CL at OT, it will be difficult to see who will be booed harder: Di Maria or Pogba.

Dan_F

You’re right, obviously there was the Kakuta situation around that time too. Although, I can see why the other poster is saying it’s a different situation. Pogba obviously didn’t have a professional contract to run down at Le Havre.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Well according to most you’d think he’s as crap as Mata and he can’t get ahead of McTominay so maybe all those same fans should mind there business about what he does.
Well most people are blinded by emotion. They also thought Tevez was a shit player when he left, turned on Heinze when he flirted with Liverpool and burned effigies of Rooney when he asked for a transfer. The same is going to happen with Pogba if he leaves on a free next year.

Roane

Can I just ask if pogbas "antics" have any basis?

What I mean is the whole offered to City thing. I know Pep said he was offered with Mikhi but Raiola has denied this, from what I recall, and Pogba tweeted "say what?" At the time.

Similarly his brother, Mathaius I believe, was the one who on a show said he wanted to see his brother playing for RM. Not that he (Pogba) wanted to. Was it just a brother talking or even wanting the best for his brother or a come and get him plea? Didn't look like one to me.

MattofManchester

How does it benefit Manchester United if a 89m player leaves on a free? Again. Nevermind that he'll probably play within himself because his last two seasons had him sustain injuries.

How does it benefit Manchester United that he's failed to be the player we expected and yet we still choose to sign him to a mega deal in the "hope" that he'll suddenly perform, along with most likely a very, very big agent's fee?

We need a balanced midfield. Selling him would be to our benefit so that we can do that. Else it's McFred for another season.

AFC NimbleThumb

ive answered you several times now to the point of boredom, yet you concocted in your mind a situation of shareholders being unhappy (the feck?) and ignored the fact only this season his agent threw the club and our manager under the bus right before a CL game doesnt seem to dawn on you he is serving the player. but carry on with the notion its everyone elses fault but Pogbas.
The term was Stakeholders, as most fans are not Shareholders but yea lad I concocted it when you can’t comprehend the difference.

You don’t know the man yet continue to fill this thread with statements of your opinion as fact.

‘everyone else’s fault but Pogba’, he’s in the final year of his contract - neither the club nor Pogba have breached anything so I don’t see why you’d see me as defending something that doesn’t require a defence.

It’s almost as if you blame Pogba for something he’s within his employment rights to do. . .

As I said, stay on topic. You stated he wants to leave as fact, then compounded that assertion with him doing so multiple times in a few years. You then went on rambling about him needing to take a pay cut to do so quickly & when asked if you’d do the same said yes if you were unhappy with your employer but that isn’t the case with Pogba so your point about taking a pay cut to leave is void.

Have a rest, you’re now blaming his agent for poor CL performances/defensive lapses; it’s a tad maniacal at this point.

Dante

Average bang
Pogba has been injured for 61 games out of 293 we've played since he joined. That's 21%. And as anybody who's older than him can tell you, it's only going to get worse.

A big feature of Ole's transfer strategy is to buy players with exemplary fitness records. It makes for more predictable lineups and consistent teamplay. On injury proneness alone, I think Pogba fits into the deadwood category.

AFC NimbleThumb

We all know why...
Yes we do.
Players not signing a new contract and moving on a free has happened quite a few times, it doesn't mean to the player is a terrible person.

Didn't you guys originally get Pogba for free from a French side who wanted him to stay but he didn't sign their contract?
A Chelsea fan in with the receipts.

Mate, no one had this outrage when Ander Herrera strung the club along in his final year only to do some video for the club that posters on here was crying over then leave for PSG riches.

It’s another stick to beat the boy with, pure & simple.

How he’s been allowed to get to this position should be the discussion.

Member 101269

It's very difficult to remain open minded about PP. He's spent 5 years here, of which, he's missed 71 games. For someone that was announced as ""the heart of the club" for the next decade.", and " "This is the right club for me to achieve everything I hope to." is disappointing. I'm not blaming PP or any potential over promise. It just hasn't worked out. Now, PP isn't at the heart of the club, on field, and I'm not sure that will or can change. I feel the direction Ole is taking united is leaving PP behind.

In terms of contract, I have less sympathy. The comment in 2016, "This is the right club for me to achieve everything" says enough. It seems, a club is the vehicle for him, no matter whether that is from or to Torcy, JJ or united. Sadly, that sows seeds of mistrust and/or doubts over loyalty (a trait some fans want) Over the last 2 years, his agent and PP have increased the distance between united and them. I'm not sure that can be bridged. It is interesting this year they're quiet..

At a personal, i hope united can sell him..

clarkydaz

The term was Stakeholders, as most fans are not Shareholders but yea lad I concocted it when you can’t comprehend the difference.

You don’t know the man yet continue to fill this thread with statements of your opinion as fact.

‘everyone else’s fault but Pogba’, he’s in the final year of his contract - neither the club nor Pogba have breached anything so I don’t see why you’d see me as defending something that doesn’t require a defence.

It’s almost as if you blame Pogba for something he’s within his employment rights to do. . .

As I said, stay on topic. You stated he wants to leave as fact, then compounded that assertion with him doing so multiple times in a few years. You then went on rambling about him needing to take a pay cut to do so quickly & when asked if you’d do the same said yes if you were unhappy with your employer but that isn’t the case with Pogba so your point about taking a pay cut to leave is void.

Have a rest, you’re now blaming his agent for poor CL performances/defensive lapses; it’s a tad maniacal at this point.
Give over, your stakeholders thing taking a paycut made no sense. Someone said the quickest way for him to leave is run this year down. i said no, the quickest way for him to leave is to go now with a fee where him and his agent get less money. Fill your boots with google quotes about his entourage talk about moving away down the years

I actually never menioned CL performances or defensive lapses once. i said his agent threw the club/manager under the bus on the eve of a CL game, and he serves the player

Last edited:

Jim Beam

How he’s been allowed to get to this position should be the discussion.
Tbf Herrera received United offer very late and already had one from PSG. Also, his agent never dissrespected the club, manager, club legends (Scholes) and so on while Paul kept his mouth shut or confirmed that he would like to move on... The situation is vastly different.

I don't agree with full outrage, but it is understandable that some people think enough is enough. The irony of the whole thing is that it also seems like the club and Pogba are stuck with each other for one more year as no one will give us a decent offer.

redmanx

He’s never been truly committed to us. He refused to shut his agent up when he spoke out of turn against the club. The moment things weren’t going well he downed tools. He’s had a handful of world class performances for the club (if you can call them that). Somehow that justifies £90 million or whatever we paid for him.

Now he is waiting to run his contract down so he and his slug of an agent can get a big juicy sign-on fee.

Yet some fans on here are baffled why he’ll never have the same respect from the fans as we do for the other stars at the club.

If he signs for PSG and plays against us in the CL at OT, it will be difficult to see who will be booed harder: Di Maria or Pogba.
I dontcare where Pogba goes just as long as he goes; he has no intention of staying so why doesnt he just come out and say it? I have no respect for him.

redmanx

I don't think anyone is labeling Pogba as a terrible person.

Nobody knows him personally, and even if they did, still doesn't mean feck all.

We're only talking about Pogba the player, his appereances on the pitch, his agents antics in the public, his brothers interviews, etc.

We all had so much hope in Pogba the player, the truth is, he just hasn't delivered what we all hoped for.

He wasn't the spark we needed.

We might go on again for the hundred time if that was his fault, or he wasn't surrounded by better players, etc, etc....still won't get us far in the discussion.

Point being - nobody wants the club to be held ransom by his fat feck of an agent.

Another point - it just might be the case that Pogba doesn't suit us at all.
It wouldnt be the first case of a World class player not suiting our stlye of play, or even better, our legacy, our history....

He's another case of Veron, or a Coutinho if you like.

I truly believe we will be a better team without him.
The operative word being "Team"

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Give over, your stakeholders thing taking a paycut made no sense. Someone said the quickest way for him to leave is run this year down. i said no, the quickest way for him to leave is to go now with a fee where him and his agent get less money. Fill your boots with google quotes about his entourage talk about moving away down the years

I actually never menioned CL performances or defensive lapses once. i said his agent threw the club/manager under the bus on the eve of a CL game, and he serves the player
The bolded part is where all my patience with Pogba finally run out. I can't see how anyone can defend what transpired on the eve of the biggest game of the season. I hope to god we don't give him a new contract because Pogba finally decides he loves United when no other club are prepared to pay his outrageous wage demands he's sure to ask for because if we do give him his contract it won't be too long before Pogba/his feckin mouthpiece decide they're once again looking for a new challenge elsewhere. This shit show has to end.

Withnail

Mate he ran his contract down last season. No one said nothing. I don’t make the rules which says it’s okay for some and not for others. Just pointing out the facts. You piped up like I’m saying something untrue.
Fair enough on Mata, I got that wrong but I'm not sure the situations are comparable in any case. Mata isn't one of highest paid players, he's not a first team regular and he's coming to the end of his career. He's only been given a one year extension anyway so it's not like we're trying to tie him down in a long contract and he was refusing. I feel it's a bit of a disingenuous argument when there's very good reasons why people wouldn't care.

With regard to Pogba, I think it's time to sell. He's clearly looking for a big pay rise and he doesn't deserve it so some other sucker can pay him half a mil a week or they want.

Hammondo

The difference being Pogba was an unknown 17 year old when we signed him from Le Havre (I think), with no market value. He's a world class player today, and the club stands to lose a fortune if he chooses to leave on a free. A fortune that could be spent on his replacement this window.

A terrible person? No, not from what I've heard anyway. He's a well-liked character around the dressing room by all accounts. But selfish? Absolutely.
We don't stand to lose anything because no one is willing to pay for him.

Hammondo

How does it benefit Manchester United if a 89m player leaves on a free? Again. Nevermind that he'll probably play within himself because his last two seasons had him sustain injuries.

How does it benefit Manchester United that he's failed to be the player we expected and yet we still choose to sign him to a mega deal in the "hope" that he'll suddenly perform, along with most likely a very, very big agent's fee?

We need a balanced midfield. Selling him would be to our benefit so that we can do that. Else it's McFred for another season.
He's not a 89m player, that's just what we paid for him. The market decides his value and it seems much lower.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
How would you feel if he signed a new contract tomorrow?
Personally the only way I'd be happy for Pogba to stay would be if he got rid of his agent but as that isn't going to happen I feel it would be a terrible decision from the club and it will be only a matter of time before he's "looking for another challenge."

I couldn't respect a player with that big of problems by his side. Wouldn't verbally abuse him but he'd definitely go on my least favourite players list unless he starts performing on a more consistent basis which I think is beyond him.

The club have put themselves in an impossible position and I can see them giving Pogba what he wants if only to save face from losing him for a second time on a free. The best outcome would definitely be getting a nominal sum for him this summer because all other options aren't worth thinking about.

AFC NimbleThumb

My problem with Pogba has always been the disrespectful way he, his agent and known affiliates have talked about the club to the press. Its man united. He put Ole under so much pressure at the start of the 19/20 season. Some have forgotten what it was like with the the press, but I haven't. Mourinho had already gone and his agent was still airing out rubbish. For me, that was one of the rock bottoms for United as a club since Fergie left.
Huh?

So you still can’t answer the question at hand, let’s focus on the bolded part of your tangent. . .

So Paul Pogba hasn’t said he wants to leave the club as you’ve claimed? But I can ‘fill my boots’ with his entourage on google. . . You can’t fill your boots with fan fiction though. Raiola has had a few rants, his brother once stated he’d like to see him at Real Madrid & Paul has spoken well of the Madrid club.

Let’s return all the way to what started this yesterday though. . .

How in the hell do you know Pogba’s thoughts & intentions? Oh yea, google is full of quotes he’s never made.
Tbf Herrera received United offer very late and already had one from PSG. Also, his agent never dissrespected the club, manager, club legends (Scholes) and so on while Paul kept his mouth shut or confirmed that he would like to move on... The situation is vastly different.

I don't agree with full outrage, but it is understandable that some people think enough is enough. The irony of the whole thing is that it also seems like the club and Pogba are stuck with each other for one more year as no one will give us a decent offer.
I don’t work in the club so can’t give exact dates but from memory there was talk of a contract prior to January 1st which is when Herrera could ‘officially’ begin negotiations with PSG. I also remember there being some late news of a last gasp offer in the final 6 months. The fact remains Herrera left for a sizeable pay increase & was treated as if some martyr with a send off befitting someone who’d done far more for the club.

The situations are vastly different yes, but let’s actually look at the points you raise.

Raiola isn’t a genuine issue. Most of the people slating Pogba would happily take Haaland & no one was mad at him for bringing us Zlatan. Raiola was a known entity when he signed again, he was rather disrespectful to SAF so don’t get mad at a known entity for doing what he’s long been known to do. If United were winning things & Raiola was spouting nonsense it’d be dismissed. The issue is Pogba hasn’t performed regularly enough.

Scholes, a club legend indeed. I’m not going to touch on this as I don’t think the Cafe is ready for this discussion. Anything I say will be seen as a critique of a player I adored in his playing days & I don’t have the energy to argue this aswell.

Pogba saying nothing. . . Raiola is a loud mouth & has been for the entirety of Paul’s career, again there was no issue when he was stirring the pot with Juve prior to Paul’s return. If you do business with the devil, expect to get burnt.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Personally the only way I'd be happy for Pogba to stay would be if he got rid of his agent but as that isn't going to happen I feel it would be a terrible decision from the club and it will be only a matter of time before he's "looking for another challenge."

I couldn't respect a player with that big of problems by his side. Wouldn't verbally abuse him but he'd definitely go on my least favourite players list unless he starts performing on a more consistent basis which I think is beyond him.

The club have put themselves in an impossible position and I can see them giving Pogba what he wants if only to save face from losing him for a second time on a free. The best outcome would definitely be getting a nominal sum for him this summer because all other options aren't worth thinking about.
I mean, it would probably be fair to assume that any contract he signs at this stage of his career will likely be his last. Hopefully, that will keep his mind clear of any future moves down the road, allowing him to concentrate on doing what he does best - playing football. That's the hope anyway. I'd like him to resign with us for that reason alone.

His agent is just the worst kind of sub-human, but I can't see Pogba ridding himself of his services considering how much money he's made for him over the years.

redmanx

How would you feel if he signed a new contract tomorrow?
Not happy because I no longer trust him. If he starts playing like the player we all know he can be I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he wears the United shirt but as I say I dont trust him and I have no doubts that as soon as something else upsets him he'll let us all down again. I prefer it that he went asap.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You replied by saying it was naive to think we hadn’t, ‘without any evidence’ but have at it mate, you’re doing a stellar job debunking your own post.

To clarify. We should have offered him a suitable contract & if he wasn’t willing to sign, dealt with it prior to now.

It’s all speculation from a keyboard though, we don’t know when & what terms; what we do know is we have an asset about to leave in similar fashion to our former no.21 but the fans don’t seem quite so forgiving.
Finally we can agree on something, it's all speculation. Only thing we do know is Pogba agent made it clear in mid-season that he wants to leave (he, his agent/spokeperson - doesn't matter). Whether he was offered a deal last year or not we will never know as those things rarely are being made public for obvious reasons. So just because we didn't hear about Pogba not signing an extension last year, doesn't mean we should assume it didn't happen and bash the club - which is my point.

No need to be sorry lad, your post is proof of mismanagement - if [as you assume] he’s been offered terms & turned them down previously why is he, A) still at the club, B) why has he not been replaced?
ad A) interesting question, do you think people outside of the club can answer that? I don't think so, there may be many reasons (Pogba hesitating, no offers as he'll likely be available for free next season, no offers because nobody rates him that much, no offers from clubs where Pogba would like to move, or the most likely option: he wants more money, the payer being secondary factor) - again, we can speculate, but I don't know, and frankly I don't care.

ad B) the way I see it, Ole has been preparing the club for Pogba departure for a while. We got Bruno as a direct replacement, then Van de Beek for the future, now we're getting Sancho to replace Pogba-the-winger.
Moreover, buying Van de Beek makes no sense if Pogba is staying. So instead of investing in other positions (for example future Matic replacement), we used the funds to cover for Pogba departure.

So I wonder where do you see the mismanagement from the club, and why do you suggest he has not been replaced? What is it exactly we should do from your perspective, with a guy who is playing us either to get a mega contract here or to get a desired move next season. It's his choice after all, it's within his right to run contract down. He might also play half arsed for the next season (if he already has a move agreed when he's a free agent), and there will be people on this forum moaning it's "mismanagement" from the club. So I'd like to understand what is it the club should do in this particular situation more than what has been done so far (Bruno, Van de Beek, Sancho, at least one massive contract extension offer).

alexthelion

We’re all fans of Manchester United. Pogba is a fan of Manchester United. Pogba in the past wasn’t a fan of how Manchester United was being operated. As were/are a lot of supporters.

…people really can’t seem to differentiate the 2. There’s the club - the literal badge - and then the people who run it. 2 separate identities. Pogba became unsettled because of the people running the club. It was awful. We were the laughing stock of world football for a number of years.

Pogba alluded to wanting to be somewhere else in the past. The club denied him that and have continued to. That falls on the shoulders of the people running Manchester United. They know exactly what they’re doing by not letting his request be fulfilled. And who knows, maybe it works out if Pogba is convinced this season over the last 2 years drastic change for the better (finally). Even if he doesn’t, yeah you blame the people who chose not to sell him when he wanted out in the past if you really care about him walking that much. Pogba never let it get to this point — the club/people operating it did.
A) If the club was so badly run, why did he join us?
B) If another club wanted him they would have needed to meet our valuation, or negotiate. How many did that?
C) If he's so much in demand as you're suggesting, why hasn't anyone made a bid?

Trying to make outPogba=good, Manchester United=bad is a joke.