Why so many knee-jerk reactions and negativity 7 games in?

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
But United doesn't operate on limited ressources. So what are you trying to pull here? Moyes was out of his depth, wasn't able to deal with big egos he wasn't used to, wasn't used to be under pressure of winning every game in style. He is still a fine manager but he wasn't ready for a top club yet. Is he today? Probably not. But there are only a few at the top.
The question is who? Pochetino failed at Spurs and hasn’t done anything at PSG yet. (if winning something is the measure). Brenden Rodgers? He's won the FA Cup, is that enough?
The fact is that a ‘good manager’ is one that works out. For us, it appears that winning the league on a regular basis and the occasional Champions League win is the bare minimum, so we’ll be into the manager rotation game every 2/3 years.

NZT-One

The question is who? Pochetino failed at Spurs and hasn’t done anything at PSG yet. (if winning something is the measure). Brenden Rodgers? He's won the FA Cup, is that enough?
The fact is that a ‘good manager’ is one that works out. For us, it appears that winning the league on a regular basis and the occasional Champions League win is the bare minimum, so we’ll be into the manager rotation game every 2/3 years.
What speaks against it? Works quite fine for other clubs, doesn't it? I am still not sure what you are trying to pull here - is this a setup to act smug once you can release the "we need continuity"-line? Because there aren't many around here who would deny that. But the premise that continuity is always intertwined with the manager is wrong. As proven by other clubs.

Who could be a top manager for us? Depends, I am pretty sure, Ole would still sail pretty cosy had he managed to hold his promises, making us the most hardworking team in the league, playing ruthless attacking football. Maybe at this point people would start to mumble about the lack of trophies. Good modern football breeds success when combined with a good to great squad and the right motivation. All three pillars are very difficult to achieve. All the managers you named could be a hit. Ole could have been a hit. But it wasn't to be so there is no point to delay the inevitable: United has to look for a manager with the potential to be one of the very best. Best case scenario would be one who is known for being able to instruct players to a modern style of play and structure. (My personal view is: we don't need an Ancelotti or Allegri, managers who are known to be able to take a squad to the final stage, making great teams to title winners. We aren't there yet)

Last edited:

croadyman

I wouldn't say that he failed at Spurs considering how close he got them to winning league in 2016 and CL in 2019

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Because the mods seem to think that I’m a City fan because I think we should give Ole more time. God forbid that any Utd fan should get behind the manager of course.
Even god will forbid a utd fan backing OGS at this point. You can stop wumming now.

croadyman

What speaks against it? Works quite fine for other clubs, doesn't it? I am still not sure what you are trying to pull here - is this a setup to act smug once you can release the "we need continuity"-line? Because there aren't many around here who would deny that. But the premise that continuity is always intertwined with the manager is wrong. As proven by other clubs.

Who could be a top manager for us? Depends, I am pretty sure, Ole would still sail pretty cosy had he managed to hold his promises, making us the most hardworking team in the league, playing ruthless attacking football. Maybe at this point people would start to mumble about the lack of trophies. Good modern football breeds success when combined with a good to great squad and the right motivation. All three pillars are very difficult to achieve. All the managers you named could be a hit. Ole could have been a hit. But it wasn't to be so there is no point to delay the inevitable: United has to look for a manager with the potential to be one of the very best. Best case scenario would be one who is known for being able to instruct players to a modern style of play and structure. (My personal view is: we don't need an Ancelotti or Allegri, managers who are known to be able to take a squad to the final stage, making great teams to title winners. We aren't there yet)
Yeah but sadly appointing a manager with a modern style of play and structure looks years away right now, why can't this bloody board just accept Ole is not the right guy and just get an interim to at least save this season while we actually have something left to play for and I don't just mean the FA Cup either.

MasterCode

Even god will forbid a utd fan backing OGS at this point. You can stop wumming now.
The fact that people who have chosen to back Ole receive such vitriol is so dissapointing and alarming. In any case the end of the season we shall see. I recognise they aren't going to sack him.

Almost every paper is a lie, something tells me Ole is going to be hear beyond January and they will back him in the window with a DM.

So as a supporter I'm just going to get behind the squad, the manager, the club. Its my main job.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The fact that people who have chosen to back Ole receive such vitriol is so dissapointing and alarming. In any case the end of the season we shall see. I recognise they aren't going to sack him.

Almost every paper is a lie, something tells me Ole is going to be hear beyond January and they will back him in the window with a DM.

So as a supporter I'm just going to get behind the squad, the manager, the club. Its my main job.
That's precisely the kind of fans the Glazers need. Just like their yes man manager they need fans who will just gobble up whatever served to them without any sign of protest.

"I will back the club, manager" blah blah bull crap is why underperformance and low standards are acceptable at MUFC these days.

Why even bother to make changes when the fans are content with relegation level performances right?

dmode

This forum has become a joke... I really miss the old times.

Many fans don't deserve the team anymore. They don't know anymore what Manchester United is.

passtheball

Many fans don't deserve the team anymore. They don't know anymore what Manchester United is.
You mean the old times when United were not run by American owners employing an incompetent, out-of-his-depth ex-player as a shield against criticism?
When coaches got jobs because of their ability rather than being mates with the manager or ex-players in the media?
When standards were so high that to lose two games in a row was considered blasphemy? When the team didn't lose 0-7 cumulatively against out biggest rivals in consecutive home games and the manager told us to move on?
When you have lost 4 out of the last 6 league games and fans like you didn't pull us up for having the temerity to criticize the fraud in charge?

Yeah, I miss that United too.

Last edited:

dove

This is true. We don't really know anymore. Manchester United was a team that everyone feared. Now everyone is just laughing at us and rightly so. We became a meme like Arsenal because our club is being actively sabotaged from the inside and it's being supported by a pig portion of our fanbase. They choose to bury their heads in sand and pretend everything is fine... We reached the EL final? Oh great, clear progress, Ole deserves at least 3 more years. Let's ignore the fact we failed miserably in our CL groups, it's not what matters. A big club with a mindset of a big club would have sacked Ole the day we failed to qualify from the groups. But we? Nah. It's all good. We have the most clueless coaching staff this league has seen in years and yet, after being absolute crap for months now, humiliated by our rivals, they are still in a job literally laughing at all of us. It's sad seeing the club in this state.

Gordon Godot

This is true. We don't really know anymore. Manchester United was a team that everyone feared. Now everyone is just laughing at us and rightly so. We became a meme like Arsenal because our club is being actively sabotaged from the inside and it's being supported by a pig portion of our fanbase. They choose to bury their heads in sand and pretend everything is fine... We reached the EL final? Oh great, clear progress, Ole deserves at least 3 more years. Let's ignore the fact we failed miserably in our CL groups, it's not what matters. A big club with a mindset of a big club would have sacked Ole the day we failed to qualify from the groups. But we? Nah. It's all good. We have the most clueless coaching staff this league has seen in years and yet, after being absolute crap for months now, humiliated by our rivals, they are still in a job literally laughing at all of us. It's sad seeing the club in this state.
Yep, many are now so deluded and part of the great Glazer nostalgia myth. The United way apparently means never sacking a manager and giving them 5 years to do something. It was never the Utd way before Fergie, one of our most exciting managers was sacked for having an affair with the wife of a member of staff. Dave Sexton was sacked despite a 10 match unbeaten run. The Glazers and specifically the idiot Woodward are the problem but this blind backing of one of the least qualified managers in the club's history plays to their hands. Real Madrid fans demanded a high standard from the team. So the Utd way is to applaud abject surrenders to our two fiercest rivals?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yep, many are now so deluded and part of the great Glazer nostalgia myth. The United way apparently means never sacking a manager and giving them 5 years to do something. It was never the Utd way before Fergie, one of our most exciting managers was sacked for having an affair with the wife of a member of staff. Dave Sexton was sacked despite a 10 match unbeaten run. The Glazers and specifically the idiot Woodward are the problem but this blind backing of one of the least qualified managers in the club's history plays to their hands. Real Madrid fans demanded a high standard from the team. So the Utd way is to applaud abject surrenders to our two fiercest rivals?
Well, the last manager to get five years to do something was hired in 1986 and the last four lasted way shorter than that, so it's not really the United way is it?

Roboc7

They’d be idiotic to back him with more money even if he makes it to January. Buying him more players hasn’t helped and he doesn’t know how to use some of the players he buys. He’s also basically just an interim manager now keeping the job until we get someone else.

It was painfully obvious Ole was at his limit last season, short term we got away with it but now it’s costing us. He didn’t do badly enough to be sacked but it was also evident that as his managerial career suggested he was nowhere near good enough.

This season will be a write off because we’ll either sack Ole too late or he’ll be allowed to stay and waste the season. At least Ole is done now though and this whole project is dead. Can remember Ole the player rather than the manager.

dove

Well, the last manager to get five years to do something was hired in 1986 and the last four lasted way shorter than that, so it's not really the United way is it?
I doubt any of them would have been sacked if they finished 4th/haven't self destructed (Jose). We have a line where we consider it to be a sackable offence (no CL football) but that's about it. That's our only demand. As long as you get into CL by either finishing TOP 4 or winning the EL, you are good and will get 5 years even if we show no progress after spending £100m in a transfer window. That's the United way. Just stay mediocre, don't get too bad and you are safe.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Supporting a club is not a job and certainly not a chore. You have it backwards. They are PAID from OUR money to entertain us not the other way round. So fans have the right to do what they think it's right for the club they love. If they feel that they want to disrupt it to get rid of this incompetent manager and board then so be it

I doubt any of them would have been sacked if they finished 4th/haven't self destructed (Jose). We have a line where we consider it to be a sackable offence (no CL football) but that's about it. That's our only demand. As long as you get into CL by either finishing TOP 4 or winning the EL, you are good and will get 5 years even if we show no progress after spending £100m in a transfer window. That's the United way. Just stay mediocre, don't get too bad and you are safe.
Yet we also had a deal in place for LVG to be replaced by Mourinho months before the season’s end, so….

wolvored

It would have been so simple if the board had stated what they expected when they signed a new manager. 'We are pleased to announce xxxx is our new manager on a 3 year contract with the expectation of a premier title by the 3rd year at least'. The fans would know what was happening along with the manager. Trouble is if we finished top 4 this board would still give another 3 year contract instead of sticking to their guns.
That should have been implemented after Fergie, along with the best manager we could have got, not Moyes. Now its all hit and hope and shows their incompetance in not having a plan B. I'm hoping the fact they have sent Ole on holiday is a sign they are starting to hatch a plan to bring someone in who will be a big step up and not another ex player or has been manager.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

The old times was about football.
Now it's business where individuals are marketing commodities.

Would they really have signed Ronaldo just for football. I doubt it.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
That’s his point like.
Maybe but I defo hear fans banging on about the United way more than I do the club.

You can understand that in the early post-SAF years after the Moyes appointment went so badly wrong, but there hasn't been a lack of ambition in the transfer market. We've thrown literally a billion at it, but with three minor cups to show for it.

largelyworried

Its never been clear to me what "getting behind the manager" actually means in this context. Its one thing to do your job at a game, Ill always clap off the team no matter how shite they've been & im certainly not one for booing. But when I go to the pub afterwards with my mates I won't pretend they were great when they weren't, ill say it how it is. I don't see how pretending black is white helps the team.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Why is this thread still open? What’s the point of it?

NZT-One

You know what - that is a valid stance from your perspective. So do your job then but stop at the point where you try to picture others as "bad fans" for not doing that job. Be ensured, many of the people in here had that mindset at some point in their past with United, but it rubs off over time. The longer you follow a club, the more that superficial stuff goes away and you will know, there is no real point in stating such bland stuff like "my main job". United is a hobby for so many on here, the more time you invest in it, the more perspective you gain and the more things you learn, to be critical about.

passtheball

Why is this thread still open? What’s the point of it?
As a reminder, hopefully, of how certain "true" fans are actually just great trolls. UnitedSofa and Wumminator (remember that thread of his?) and that Gary chap and almost everybody with Ole or 99 in their username (and some folks from Norway) owe the forum an apology.

The issues with the coaching at United been clear for a very long time, but these fans wanted to bludgeon anybody who had the gumption to criticize.

Let the thread live until Ole and his band of pretenders are sacked.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Supporting someone that doesn't serve the interest of the club isn't being behind the club. It's suprising how some fail to see this. Doing right by someone or something isn't synonymous of accepting everything,, if a friend tells you that he is going to start consuming meth, you don't give him your blind support, that wouldn't be the friendly thing to do, you should find a way to make him understand that it's a terrible idea even if it immediately hurts his feelings.

Similarly being a fan of a club doesn't mean that you should accept or agree with every decisions or that you should vocally support every person affiliated with the club. You are not supposed to enable wrong behavior when you care about something or someone.

MasterCode

This is hilarious. Man all I wrote was my support. Never called anybody a bad supporter, never lambasted anybody and their opinion.

The defensive responses I'm getting are more revealing than insightful.
Rock on continue with your fandom as you choose.

I have my perspectives all I stated is I choose to support the club in its entirety.

"I throw mi corn but mi nah call no foul":lol:

ShinjiNinja26

You mean the old times when United were not run by American owners employing an incompetent, out-of-his-depth ex-player as a shield against criticism?
When coaches got jobs because of their ability rather than being mates with the manager or ex-players in the media?
When standards were so high that to lose two games in a row was considered blasphemy? When the team didn't lose 0-7 cumulatively against out biggest rivals in consecutive home games and the manager told us to move on?
When you have lost 4 out of the last 6 league games and fans like you didn't pull us up for having the temerity to criticize the fraud in charge?

Yeah, I miss that United too.
Well said.

laughtersassassin

If the Glazers keep Ole he should not recieve any more backing in upcoming windows in truth because he has wasted so much of it.

Skills

Snitch
Supporting someone that doesn't serve the interest of the club isn't being behind the club. It's suprising how some fail to see this. Doing right by someone or something isn't synonymous of accepting everything,, if a friend tells you that he is going to start consuming meth, you don't give him your blind support, that wouldn't be the friendly thing to do, you should find a way to make him understand that it's a terrible idea even if it immediately hurts his feelings.

Similarly being a fan of a club doesn't mean that you should accept or agree with every decisions or that you should vocally support every person affiliated with the club. You are not supposed to enable wrong behavior when you care about something or someone.
This

I'm a beautiful thing

I've seen a few managers here, Sexton got 4 full seasons, Atkinson 5, Tommy Doc 4 but he left for different reason, LVG 2,Moyes 1,Jose 2,Frank O'Farrell 2,I remember my Dad saying Wilf McGuiness was out of his depth I was going to matches but not really old enough to understand, Wilf was more of a United man than Ole but he only got a season.
Point is its a myth about how long we give managers, even back in the day when there was more patience you didn't get unlimited time.
Tommy survived relegation by promising to play attacking football, which we did and they were fun to watch after that but this team under Ole doesn't seem prepared, aware of the opposition will be doing or sure what they should be doing, personally I think he will limp along until summer or top 4 is unachievable and then he will be off

Scaring Europe to Death

Supports
Manchester City
Firstly, I'm a City fan, and was in the away end last Saturday. However, I flirt around on this forum, mainly because I think the moderators are better than some of the City forums, and subsequently the posts are less confrontational and allow for sensible debate.

As regards your latest situation, I genuinely think that United are making the same mistake as 1990s Liverpool and allowing the mythology to cloud the overall decision making.

Rewind to the Summer of 1977, and from a position of strength, the reigning European Champions arguably enjoyed the greatest transfer window of all time (or certainly the 1970s version) when they bought Hansen, Dalglish, and then a few months later, Souness. Add Lawrenson and Rush to the late 70s mix, and it virtually guaranteed a decade of success, regardless of a few equally poor signings.

This successful transfer policy enabled the club to expand the myth that it was nothing to do with tactics, and everything to do with four old codgers in 1950s track suits drinking coffee and whisky, whilst talking football in the Liverpool Boot Room.

Dalglish spent well in the summer of 87, but by the early 90s the Boot Room myth had been exposed as first Souness and then Evans allowed the club to drift with a series of expensive blunders.

Simultaneously, United had reached the summit, and a series of clever purchases were eventually backed-up by the Class of 92, and two decades of domination.

The problem now is that 1992 was almost 30 years ago and the football landscape has changed completely In fact, even taking City's spending out of the equation, where were United when Leicester's scouting team were buying, and subsequently winning the PL with Mahrez, Kante, and Kasper Schmeichel, all of whom are still PL regulars?
The United Way has become your Liverpool Boot Room. It's merely a utopian idea that in reality, just happened by sheer coincidence, and until the penny drops, and your club returns to proper scouting methods, whilst finding players to fit the Manager's style, you'll continue to struggle.

Reactions: JPRouve
Lately without even 10 games played yet (In the PL), there is so much negativity and pessimism on the forum?

Like it's almost as if you'd think we're in a relegation battle, even after finishing 2nd last year, and yes I've heard all the excuses as to why we finished 2nd and why it was nothing to do with Ole or the players and in fact more to do with the teams around us. I mean we deserve some credit can't make up excuses for every single positive thing that United do. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of talk and dislike towards the manager. Now more than ever it seems as I'm perplexed as to why? Why now of all times, why right this moment?

We're not in free fall by any means and yet the feeling around the fans on here anyway is that we're in some sort of disaster mode. Even news that Phelan, Carrick, McKenna are getting new contracts somehow comes back to Ole and fake, patronising praise for the club.

The season has just begun and I'll say it again, people are getting really upset to the point where from the outside looking in, looking at people's reactions to news, it seems as though we're flirting with the bottom 3.

It's the international break too, which doesn't help things either.
Now do you see? Now do you understand?

Well let me explain. Sometimes performances speak louder than results and give an accurate indication of future results. Sometimes it’s better to lose a few but play very well, then it is to regularly play badly and win by luck or simply because you have a world class player who drags you out of trouble.

Firstly, I'm a City fan, and was in the away end last Saturday. However, I flirt around on this forum, mainly because I think the moderators are better than some of the City forums, and subsequently the posts are less confrontational and allow for sensible debate.

As regards your latest situation, I genuinely think that United are making the same mistake as 1990s Liverpool and allowing the mythology to cloud the overall decision making.

Rewind to the Summer of 1977, and from a position of strength, the reigning European Champions arguably enjoyed the greatest transfer window of all time (or certainly the 1970s version) when they bought Hansen, Dalglish, and then a few months later, Souness. Add Lawrenson and Rush to the late 70s mix, and it virtually guaranteed a decade of success, regardless of a few equally poor signings.

This successful transfer policy enabled the club to expand the myth that it was nothing to do with tactics, and everything to do with four old codgers in 1950s track suits drinking coffee and whisky, whilst talking football in the Liverpool Boot Room.

Dalglish spent well in the summer of 87, but by the early 90s the Boot Room myth had been exposed as first Souness and then Evans allowed the club to drift with a series of expensive blunders.

Simultaneously, United had reached the summit, and a series of clever purchases were eventually backed-up by the Class of 92, and two decades of domination.

The problem now is that 1992 was almost 30 years ago and the football landscape has changed completely In fact, even taking City's spending out of the equation, where were United when Leicester's scouting team were buying, and subsequently winning the PL with Mahrez, Kante, and Kasper Schmeichel, all of whom are still PL regulars?
The United Way has become your Liverpool Boot Room. It's merely a utopian idea that in reality, just happened by sheer coincidence, and until the penny drops, and your club returns to proper scouting methods, whilst finding players to fit the Manager's style, you'll continue to struggle.
Great post. If I had mod powers I’d like it.

No doubt pal.