Why the negativity against Ed and the Glazers? Sorry I don't follow

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Bergkamp had been struggling in Italy I think and pre-dated Wenger. Henry was a failure at Juve. Vieria was underage talent as was Pires. I thought the OP point was about established global stars. None of these were at the time Arsenal signed them.

United didn't compete for 'established global stars' because we didn't need to. We were top dogs in England so we competed for the best players, in line with our strategy, to dominate England and in turn Europe. It was a genunine plan and recruitment strategy. It worked. Times have changed. Now the guys in charge are throwing money at our problems in a pretty random ramshakle way. How people can say these owners are good for the club is beyond me. Just because they've been brilliant at revenue generation and splashed the cash on Pogba doesn't make them worthwhile to me. Interestingly Fred is now in our top ten transfers. Amazing when you think about it and evidence again of just how things have changed.
I was talking about the type of talent that you listed and Henry wasn't really a failure, he spent six months out of position, it's one of the weirdest thing that I have seen in football. Juventus failed more than he did.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I agree some of the decisions over the last 5 years transfer activity has been horrendous. I'm not sure who takes the blame, mind. Manager, coaches, scouts, or Woodward or the owners for employing someone in this position.

Maybe Woodward has learnt from his past mistakes?
Maybe nobody is to blame. When united wants pogba we will be overcharged.

Judging from the last few years our purchase has been on par with market value I'd say. Just because we're not pulling any trees at the moment doesn't mean ed is doing a bad job.

90m for pogba sounds like a bargain considering liverpool bought vvd for 75m. And even lower tables can bid 50m for a player i havent heard of.

Yes, i agree the players we bought hasn't all worked out, especially lvg purchases but price wise you really can't argue it's a just price for United at the time (bar fellaini)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Bergkamp had been struggling in Italy I think and pre-dated Wenger. Henry was a failure at Juve. Vieria was underage talent as was Pires. I thought the OP point was about established global stars. None of these were at the time Arsenal signed them.

United didn't compete for 'established global stars' because we didn't need to. We were top dogs in England so we competed for the best players, in line with our strategy, to dominate England and in turn Europe. It was a genunine plan and recruitment strategy. It worked. Times have changed. Now the guys in charge are throwing money at our problems in a pretty random ramshakle way. How people can say these owners are good for the club is beyond me. Just because they've been brilliant at revenue generation and splashed the cash on Pogba doesn't make them worthwhile to me. Interestingly Fred is now in our top ten transfers. Amazing when you think about it and evidence again of just how things have changed.
The glazers has been called leeches and parasites even when they broke a few purchase records. Imagine if they go fergie route of buying unknown potentials, there'll be riots in old trafford.

What else can they do? Everyone knows thar co92 and buying a young ronaldo is a sound plan, and every team would want to have their own co92 stories. But sometimes these things are beyond the boards control.

Imagine if the new dof sets a youth wonderkid only policy, it might work on fm but in real life there are no guarantee that we will find the next wonder kid even if we employ 100 more scouts. Have a look on a wonderkid thread 5 years ago, the names listed in there turns out to be turds most of them.

Rory 7

The glazers has been called leeches and parasites even when they broke a few purchase records. Imagine if they go fergie route of buying unknown potentials, there'll be riots in old trafford.

What else can they do? Everyone knows thar co92 and buying a young ronaldo is a sound plan, and every team would want to have their own co92 stories. But sometimes these things are beyond the boards control.

Imagine if the new dof sets a youth wonderkid only policy, it might work on fm but in real life there are no guarantee that we will find the next wonder kid even if we employ 100 more scouts. Have a look on a wonderkid thread 5 years ago, the names listed in there turns out to be turds most of them.
It’s not all about youth policy. Fergie recognised that. To me it’s about stability and a vision for the style of football we play and how we set about continuing to dominate English football. As I have already said these owners have demonstrated no vision since SAF retired. It’s all short termism with them. Too much so.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
There are definitely forward planning issues. The players should now be either signed on longer contracts or sold if not wanted.

According to Duncan Castles

Currently United have 10 senior players on deals that expire at the end of this season – a huge number for a squad that finished second in the Premier League and was fortified with just one starting line-up transfer in the summer window.

In rough order of their importance to their manager, de Gea, Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young, Ander Herrera, Juan Mata, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Luke Shaw, Anthony Martial and Matteo Darmian are all in the final year of deals.

The club holds options to extend some of those contracts for a further season, others have already been activated.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...nother-13133352.amp?__twitter_impression=true

ThaReaper01

There’s hate because they aren’t necessarily supporting the manager, and there’s an obvious trickle down effect. Their only fecking job should be to support the manager that they hired. Things are not so dire at United that they should be withholding resources from the guy trying to rebuild this team essentially from the ground up.

I’m not huge on spending loads in the transfer market when we’ve got kids who have obvious talent and could conceivably contribute. But sometimes it is necessary when the regimes before you have swung and missed so many times and you’re still mandated to try and make a competitive team out of this rag tag bunch of older players, players who aren’t good enough, players who can’t stay fit and some who have no consistency for one reason or another.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It’s not all about youth policy. Fergie recognised that. To me it’s about stability and a vision for the style of football we play and how we set about continuing to dominate English football. As I have already said these owners have demonstrated no vision since SAF retired. It’s all short termism with them. Too much so.
We have a vision. Ed isn't stupid. But having a sound vision and plan and actually realizing it is another story.

Some fans made it as if we're in a mess. We have plans, we recruited alot of young players in dalot, fred, pogba, lindelof, baily, lukaku, martial, infact 80 percent of our purchases are young 25ish player.

We have a plan for stability, which is to give jose time to stabilize the ship. At this time 2 years ago jose is the safest bet (at that time, hindsight is a wonderful thing none of us have).

Academy has been revamped, butt mckenna carrick are all new and fresh addition.

Deadlogs are slowly being moved on, some are retained for practicality or because no one wants them. Young is still useful, valencia given an understudy, carrick moved on, darmian blind etc got sold.

Marketing wise there's no doubt.

Those are 5 years plan in order, 2 cups and a runner up isnt bad if you really see it in an objective way that we're still rebuilding. Fans just moaning because we didn't win everything, we have a plan, they just dont see it.

Rory 7

We have a vision. Ed isn't stupid. But having a sound vision and plan and actually realizing it is another story.

Some fans made it as if we're in a mess. We have plans, we recruited alot of young players in dalot, fred, pogba, lindelof, baily, lukaku, martial, infact 80 percent of our purchases are young 25ish player.

We have a plan for stability, which is to give jose time to stabilize the ship. At this time 2 years ago jose is the safest bet (at that time, hindsight is a wonderful thing none of us have).

Deadlogs are slowly being moved on, some are retained for practicality or because no one wants them. Young is still useful, valencia given an understudy, carrick moved on, darmian blind etc got sold.

Those are 5 years plan in order, 2 cups and a runner up isnt bad if you really see it in an objective way that we're still rebuilding. Fans just moaning because we didn't win everything, we have a plan, they just dont see it.
Great. Glad you can see the plan. All I see is infighting.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Great. Glad you can see the plan. All I see is infighting.
Just because we have a plan doesnt mean it will be a smooth run. Sometimes the plan is bad, sometimes it's a sound plan with bad execution, sometimes shit happens (city getting record 100 pts).

Even the best laid plans can't guarantee pogba wont be tempted by barcelona, or jose suddenly lost his mojo, or de gea wanting 400k per week, or sanchez turns out to be crap.

JPRouve

Scout

25ish isn't young and the issue is that the way our manager likes to play seem to not fit the players that you mentioned which kind of put the idea of plan into question.

Rory 7

Just because we have a plan doesnt mean it will be a smooth run. Sometimes the plan is bad, sometimes it's a sound plan with bad execution, sometimes shit happens (city getting record 100 pts).

Even the best laid plans can't guarantee pogba wont be tempted by barcelona, or jose suddenly lost his mojo, or de gea wanting 400k per week, or sanchez turns out to be crap.
But Ed’s job is to come up with a good plan. The owners job was to plan for SAF’s retirement. Both failing on the planning front.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
25ish isn't young and the issue is that the way our manager likes to play seem to not fit the players that you mentioned which kind of put the idea of plan into question.
In real life not many 20 years old wonderkids are ready for epl. Only a handfull of them.

Not to mention 20 years, and good enough to play for united.

Barcelona hasn't had many players from la massia after messi and co.

Is it realistic to want a squad full of 20s wonderkids? In real life?

JPRouve

Scout
In real life not many 20 years old wonderkids are ready for epl. Only a handfull of them.

Not to mention 20 years, and good enough to play for united.

Barcelona hasn't had many players from la massia after messi and co.

Is it realistic to want a squad full of 20s wonderkids? In real life?
I didn't say any of these things though and it has nothing to do with my response.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We can if you like. Noone is going to deny the owners put their chips on that bet. A major fail. I reckon Ed missed the transition management chapter in business school.
When the greatest football manager the world has ever seen gives you a glowing endorsement of his potential successor, David Moyes in this case, you tend to follow it up without question. They're only human after all.

Rory 7

When the greatest football manager the world has ever seen gives you a glowing endorsement of his potential successor, David Moyes in this case, you tend to follow it up without question. They're only human after all.
But but... I thought they were the cleverest most shrewd businessmen ever to run a football club anywhere in the world ever. They made a...mistake :confused:. I can’t believe it!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
But but... I thought they were the cleverest most shrewd businessmen ever to run a football club anywhere in the world ever. They made a...mistake :confused:. I can’t believe it!
I am detecting an element of sarcasm in your post.

They don't me Sherlock Holmes for nothing.

Yeah, Richard Arnold as well, bringing more shame on this once great club by supporting the Women's football team yesterday....
First he went to Wimbledon, now this -why is he not planning for the January transfer window. He’s clearly got no idea what he’s doing!

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think the problem is the market is destroyed. This talk of value only arose under them though Sir Alex backed it. We had a manager who wouldn't think twice putting a defender in midfield and often it worked. When you talk about value? That's a business issue. Supporters don't want to hear it. We risk losing our way even more if they don't sell because they bought into a successful model. They have not shown the capability to recapture that. The only way to do that is by buying and selling and promoting the right players and at the moment, the balance isn't there. When you go all those many years like we did and didn't improve the midfield? And to be honest team....it will rebound on you. Now maybe we have a good manager. The mentality in the group is immature. That's the impression they give. They crumble under pressure rather then forcing issues or dealing with the fact they are expected to be better then many teams. If you don't back the manager it's an issue. In addition, it's crazy how FEW players we were linked to in the summer. They can talk of Jan...it's too late. It's cautious some might think sensible but I think we've been too sensible. And they should sell because they do not have the bottle/finances to compete. Why should De Gea stay at a club with no ambition because of owners who cannot deliver and who are so weak they don't defend their manager but rather look to unsettle him and the players by doing nothing....they should sell.

Foxbatt

I do not think they have not backed the Manager when it warrants backing. I think half way through the Moyes season they realised that he is a dud. Then under the circumstances the only choice was LVG. He had the balls to do things and he did in the first season. I really do not know why his games became so boring? His Ajax was very entertaining. But for some odd reason United became very boring. I think the biggest mistake the club did was to force Giggs onto LVG as his assistant manager. Maybe with someone from Holland or someone who knows LVG well may have got a different outcome.

SpyLuke10

What I don't understand is if Maguire and Alderweireld weren't possible to get done for a reasonable deal, then why didn't we go after another target? (We may have half-assedly gone for Mina). Its not like there aren't any other good centre backs out there.

Sir Scott McToMinay

It has got nothing to do with the money that he did not get his third title. He simply messed it up tactically in the 1st Final against Barca. Surely he got have got a better midfield duo or trio for something not expensive. I mean compared to what we had then.
I disagree about that specific match, man for man they were a lot better, and they played better in that final, but it’s more than that.
We should have never gone backwards so quickly, still won two league titles but no other manager could have done that with that team, we should have gone for Silva, Robben and Aguero when they were available.
Would’ve been a far smoother transition from SAF if we had better players during that time.

Fluctuation0161

How have Liverpool afforded it? Same way as Everton, Leicester, West Ham and other EPL clubs are throwing massive money around. The TV deal.

If you think the club stagnating as an average top 4 club won't impact the United brand, I have nothing further to add. Successful global brands are successful because they are market leaders. It's like saying Nokia weren't bothered by the iPhone.
You have nothing further to add then. We haven't won the league title for years, yet we are the most profitable club in the EPL.

ravelston

I agree - Fergie would of loved to have Augero etc if he was given the money to spend on them.
The problem with this narrative is that we had more than £150 million in the bank in the summer of 2011 (as we had had for the previous two years). It was there for SAF to spend if he wanted to - there's no other reason for keeping that much lying around doing nothing.

JPRouve

Scout
The problem with this narrative is that we had more than £150 million in the bank in the summer of 2011 (as we had had for the previous two years). It was there for SAF to spend if he wanted to - there's no other reason for keeping that much lying around doing nothing.
And iirc the same 150m in 2013.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
We definitely could have done more to prevent City’s rise. The summer of 2010 was the one that made them – Silva was probably the most sure thing you’ll ever see coming from another league. Even at Valencia his class was so obvious – watching him with Villa in that side was a treat – I used to sign him in every FIFA game (lol) and was fecking devastated when he landed there. Letting him and Aguero the following summer turn up unchallenged was criminal and it felt like a turning point for everyone.To this day they’re taking the league apart.

Still it’s tough to just operate on a policy of matching offers for rival targets and it’s easy to criticise with hindsight – Would have probably seen us land Robinho, Nasri and Balotelli if we were going that way. Silva and Aguero do hurt more though as it was so obvious the quality they would bring. We should have at the very least pushed them to spend more.

ravelston

What I don't understand is if Maguire and Alderweireld weren't possible to get done for a reasonable deal, then why didn't we go after another target? (We may have half-assedly gone for Mina). Its not like there aren't any other good centre backs out there.
Presumably they were the ones on Mourinho's list. Once they were eliminated you get to available CBs who wouldn't actually have been an upgrade on what we already have. A more important question might be, why is Mourinho playing what is clearly our weakest CB combination? Is it from spite because he didn't get his new toys or is there a deeper, tactical reason?

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Presumably they were the ones on Mourinho's list. Once they were eliminated you get to available CBs who wouldn't actually have been an upgrade on what we already have. A more important question might be, why is Mourinho playing what is clearly our weakest CB combination? Is it from spite because he didn't get his new toys or is there a deeper, tactical reason?
Literally less than a weak ago a thread was started on here claiming Lindelof and Bailly were as good or better than the targets we were after.

Fickle game.

ravelston

Literally less than a weak ago a thread was started on here claiming Lindelof and Bailly were as good or better than the targets we were after.

Fickle game.
May well be true. Doesn't mean that they aren't our weakest combination. Didn't somebody make the point that there was no one available who was an upgrade on our 5th best CB?