Kick-off
Mon, 8 January 2024 @ 8:15pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Rustyspider13

Good half. Against Wigan it had to be, but still glad the team showed up. We still can't hit the target, but at least the chances are there. Good hit from Dalot for the lead. Hojlund should've buried the header for 2-0. He's getting into good positions, so hopefully it'll come in the second half.

Garnacho and Mainoo have been different class. We can only hope they keep this upward trajectory as they develop physically, we will have two fantastic players on our hands. The rest have all done well. As long as we don't shit the bed second half, it should be easy progress into the next round.

sparx99

He’s 21 in 3 weeks.

He’s missed 2 absolute sitters that a well placed SMEG fridge could finish.

He’s not covering himself in glory so far.
    He’s not had a great game in that regard but he gets slated even when he gets no chances.

He’ll get a goal second half.

sammyhol

I will (probably fairly) be called a miserable get for this… cos we are playing well.

But I don’t know what we learn from this game. The new system is working. Creating a pan full of chances… but I fear against a better team we would still look crazily open.

However… one undoubted positive… whisper it… but we might have FINALLY found the answer to our RW problem!

Bobski

McTominay with the 4th lowest number of touches from both teams. This is a Wigan side who's 18th in League One... feck me.
    Some might almost think that the gameplan for McT is to push very high and leave the playmaking to Mainoo and Bruno, especially if they had seen the exact same set up multiple times this season. I don't like it but but focusing on his touch quantity when much of the time he is up alongside Hojlund seems pointless. Reasonable complaint tonight is poor finishing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
    Scout
    At the risk of being woken up in the middle of the night by a scraggly bearded man towering over me wielding a hurlshank, Keano always looks like they've just forcibly wheeled him into place like a resident in a care home on bingo night.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
    I will (probably fairly) be called a miserable get for this… cos we are playing well.

But I don’t know what we learn from this game. The new system is working. Creating a pan full of chances… but I fear against a better team we would still look crazily open.

However… one undoubted positive… whisper it… but we might have FINALLY found the answer to our RW problem!
    What "new system"?

gaffs

Didn’t Nunez have a pretty similar first season? He got 13 goals last year. He has 8 so far this year.

Hojlund has 6 so far and is 4 years younger.

They both cost a base fee of £64m but Nunez has a lot more add ons so could end up at £85m vs £72m for Hojlund.

I think Hojlund looks a much better deal overall.
    Hard to compare the stats as there are so many factors at play, but for me, Nunez is a better all round player. Hojland has age on his side though.

neon_badger

I'm no expert but I feel like our inability to score could be fixed by bringing in an action proven goalscorer.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
    He’s not had a great game in that regard but he gets slated even when he gets no chances.

He’ll get a goal second half.
    I hope so. I want him to do well. I like him, I like how much passion he has but it’s so frustrating when he misses these chances, I feel more frustrated for him to be honest

Chip

I don't think so. He'll make it.
    I hope so. Especially as a fellow Dane.

I just don't see it with him, though. Attitude and work rate on point, but I don't think that he has enough of a natural goal scoring instinct.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
    Scout
    Some might almost think that the gameplan for McT is to push very high and leave the playmaking to Mainoo and Bruno, especially if they had seen the exact same set up multiple times this season. I don't like it but but focusing on his touch quantity when much of the time he is up alongside Hojlund seems pointless. Reasonable complaint tonight is poor finishing.
    His heatmap has him on the right side of the pitch mainly.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    Benny McCarthy needs his P45 what is he doing on the training pitch, United should be 1-5 up. We need a proper striker coach in the so called shake up, the strikers coach and striker coach must be measured on goals, currently their failing massively.. A half completely dominated yet Wigan are still in the game?

but at least we are playing slightly better football, all be it against a league 1 side.
    Heard Matty Cash talk after their game about the defensive coach and the corners coach.… practicing shape, crossing, etc.

I honestly don’t know what we do in coaching… when we take the ball off Onana, the out balls are limited. We seem to get drawn out of shape. Our crosses from FKs and corners are awful.

I want Ten Hag to work but he makes it hard work when we do basics poorly. Either he’s not telling them OR he is and they’re not, in which case just drop them. Whoever.

Not convinced the coaching team is good enough.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
    I was giving Hojlund some time but today he is starting to concern me a wee bit as well. Always seems a tad too slow to get his body in the right position, not unlike Wout last season.

Yanited__

We've been all over them. The wingplay has been really good from us, Rashford LW and Garnacho RW working well. Shame Hojlund's missed a few really good chances. Really should be 3 or 4-0 up. Oh Mainoo's been exceptional in midfield too

Unam333

So wasteful. Comedy misses.

Hojlund should have had a brace at least. McTominay also could have had a couple. One of the many times Rashford cut in and shot should've beaten the keeper.

I don't think I believe in any of our forwards to score, except Garnacho. I've made a lot of excuses for the front line this season but tonight hasn't been about service. They've just s-t the bed inside the box.

If we get sucker punched into a replay, or worse, we can only blame the woeful finishing.
    We all know that will happen. :)

sammyhol

What "new system"?
    The single dm, fullback in midfield, 2 numbers 10s… basically Peps city system that we didn’t play once last year, but have played every game this year… typically very poorly.

Gator Nate

Garnacho and Evans are my faves so far today. No one is playing that poorly. Garnacho should have three or four assists, nevermind his own missed shots. Evans is such an intelligent player.

cj_sparky

They're 18th but 24 in that league. But only 4 points above relegation. I thought they'd be higher than that given they've worked a couple of opportunities against us where they should have scored.

Although I suppose their defending, inability to control a football and wayward passing tells the real story.
    They've had a 8 point deduction and would be 10th without it. Before the game they said they've relied on their academy, free transfers and loans.

the_cliff

Set up McTominay for a sitter as well tbf
    Well we've gone from the majority of the fanbase wanting Welbeck sold because he's not good enough of a cf, scoring 9 goals in the 13-14 season to it's alright to miss chances and be on 1 goal at the midway point he's young...

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    Calling it now, Bruno is done at the very highest level. If we can offload him we should. He's lost a step, and he only ever had a step to lose.

He'll still create, but I don't think he offers enough as a midfielder anymore. Physically, he looks off the pace here against Wigan. And he never had the touch of a Scholes or Modric which is what you need to do it.

If we could afford to only have him as a 10, fine, but we can't or won't create that support.
    Eyy? You’re seeing what you want, he’s been our best player out there alongside Mainoo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Kobbie Mainoo image Kobbie Mainoo 70% of 239 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 204 ratings.

Score Predictions