Wilfred Ndidi - Leicester Player

Fussball13251

For squad depth i would consider Barnes aswell. Split second he was subbed on against Burton huge impact. 1 man opening Burton up who were well organized

We can raid Leicester in January folks... steal all of their best players. Because I think Leicester have a title winning squad brewing again.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You deemed Ndidi not being an exceptional ball-winner and that Kante and Casemiro are better because:

I mean what has those qualities listed above got to do with ball-winning as a standalone quality? Its just like saying Modric is a good passer because he can tackle well. Ridiculous argument and out of line.:houllier:

Anyway on current level, Ndidi is easily as good as Casemiro for me.
What an absolutely bizarre comparison for Modric, it’s ridiculous because you are making lazy comparison.

All those qualities listed are required to be called an ‘’exceptional’’ ball winning in top club for them to win the ball back, effective in counter & make sure they don’t lose the ball to end up being countered.

High rate interception & tackles alone are just the standard for ball winning midfielder, doesn’t make them to be called exceptional. It’s like saying Cleverley was an exceptional playmaker or passer because he had 90% passing accuracy at United.

Last edited:

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
For squad depth i would consider Barnes aswell. Split second he was subbed on against Burton huge impact. 1 man opening Burton up who were well organized

We can raid Leicester in January folks... steal all of their best players. Because I think Leicester have a title winning squad brewing again.
:lol: What do you mean by steal?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think the *problem* with Ndidi would be very similar to Wan Bissaka.
That's a good point. In fact with Shaw, AWB and McTominay, I'd say we have more than enough physicality and dogged tackling ability in the defense and midfield. Hence our deepest midfielder needs to be able to bring the ball out of defence as a Guardiola DM would. Obviously it's hard to find those sorts as they tend do be better /have a harder job than the pure DMs.

thepolice123

What an absolutely bizarre comparison for Modric, it’s ridiculous because you are making lazy comparison.

All those qualities listed are required to be called an ‘’exceptional’’ ball winning in top club for them to win the ball back, effective in counter & make sure they don’t lose the ball to end up being countered.

High rate interception & tackles alone are just the standard for ball winning midfielder, doesn’t make them to be called exceptional. It’s like saying Cleverley was an exceptional playmaker or passer because he had 90% passing accuracy at United.
Its not a lazy comparison because your arguement is just pure bizzare. You're adding additional qualities to an otherwise pretty straightforward footballing attribute.

Ball winning = Winning the ball back from the opponent. In football context it can only be done through tackles and interceptions.

It probably the most isolated and straightforward attribute in football and easily qualified by stats to determine whether is a player "exceptional" or not. Just by the stats alone in which no players come close, Ndidi is an excpetional ball winner.

Anyway I'm out.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Its not a lazy comparison because your arguement is just pure bizzare. You're adding additional qualities to an otherwise pretty straightforward footballing attribute.

Ball winning = Winning the ball back from the opponent. In football context it can only be done through tackles and interceptions.

It probably the most isolated and straightforward attribute in football and easily qualified by stats to determine whether is a player "exceptional" or not. Just by the stats alone in which no players come close, Ndidi is an excpetional ball winner.

Anyway I'm out.
What straightforward footballing attribute? What makes Kante & Casemiro are one of the best in what they do is because of those attributes.

You think every footballer who can tackle & intercept are gifted with crazy stamina & physical attribute? You think every footballer who can tackle & intercept can distribute the ball once they won it back? You think Kante & Casemiro are just brainless midfielder who just go berserk tackling other players?

Ball winning is winning the ball back from the opponent, but "exceptional" ball winning is not just a football context that can only be done through tackles & interceptions. Player like Knate & Casemiro are in the context of exceptional because they have attribute that Ndidi hasn't yet to develop/improve.

thepolice123

What straightforward footballing attribute? What makes Kante & Casemiro are one of the best in what they do is because of those attributes.

You think every footballer who can tackle & intercept are gifted with crazy stamina & physical attribute? You think every footballer who can tackle & intercept can distribute the ball once they won it back? You think Kante & Casemiro are just brainless midfielder who just go berserk tackling other players?

Ball winning is winning the ball back from the opponent, but "exceptional" ball winning is not just a football context that can only be done through tackles & interceptions. Player like Knate & Casemiro are in the context of exceptional because they have attribute that Ndidi hasn't yet to develop/improve.
Ball-winning in football context is just talking about tackling and interception mate.

Adding the word "exceptional" means nothing except to describe how good he is at ball-winning. It just English.

Give it a rest mate.:lol:

The Original

Dude why are you refusing to get the point? When you go to school you study several subjects. If you are the best student in math class, you are an exceptional maths student. Even if you are the worst in every other class. Period.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ball-winning in football context is just talking about tackling and interception mate.

Adding the word "exceptional" means nothing except to describe how good he is at ball-winning. It just English.

Give it a rest mate.:lol:
What makes Kante & Casemiro to be exceptional as a ball winning midfield not only because of tackling & interception stats but because those attributes which makes them to be the best in what they do.

They are more mobile, has crazy amount of stamina, aggressive, intelligent. Number don't tell the truth if you don't actually watch the players & the teams.

This is why there was ridiculous debate in Red Cafe regarding Herrera vs Kante in 16/17 due to stats. And how people used to rated Schneiderlin due to his tackle & interception stats.

Ekeke

What makes Kante & Casemiro to be exceptional as a ball winning midfield not only because of tackling & interception stats but because those attributes which makes them to be the best in what they do.

They are more mobile, has crazy amount of stamina, aggressive, intelligent. Number don't tell the truth if you don't actually watch the players & the teams.

This is why there was ridiculous debate in Red Cafe regarding Herrera vs Kante in 16/17 due to stats. And how people used to rated Schneiderlin due to his tackle & interception stats.
Funny that as soon as his tackles and interception stats dropped, he was no longer rated at United and went to Everton where he's not particularly rated.

If he played like he did for Southampton for 3 seasons, he'd still be considered a very good player. He simply isnt playing like he did before where he was starting for France and Kante was not.

Classical Mechanic

Schneiderlin was a very good player when he was at Southampton. It wasn't just his defensive capabilities but he also had 11 goals and 2 assists in the league in his 3 Premier League seasons at Southampton. He also had high pass completion and a decent passing range. There's a reason why he was playing for France back then. He was a much more rounded player than Ndidi.

After he signed for us his form and output went downhill, he's only registered 2 goals and 1 assists since and his output elsewhere has mostly declined. His failings are psychological and not to do with his technical abilities as a footballer in my opinion. I don't think he could cope with the pressure of playing for a big club and his confidence as a player hasn't really recovered since, or perhaps his motivation was destroyed by getting a big contract.

edit: looks like Ekeke has posted to the same effect.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Schneiderlin was a very good player when he was at Southampton. It wasn't just his defensive capabilities but he also had 11 goals and 2 assists in the league in his 3 Premier League seasons at Southampton. He also had high pass completion and a decent passing range. There's a reason why he was playing for France back then. He was a much more rounded player than Ndidi.

After he signed for us his form and output went downhill, he's only registered 2 goals and 1 assists since and his output elsewhere has mostly declined. His failings are psychological and not to do with his technical abilities as a footballer in my opinion. I don't think he could cope with the pressure of playing for a big club and his confidence as a player hasn't really recovered since, or perhaps his motivation was destroyed by getting a big contract.

edit: looks like Ekeke has posted to the same effect.
Funny that as soon as his tackles and interception stats dropped, he was no longer rated at United and went to Everton where he's not particularly rated.

If he played like he did for Southampton for 3 seasons, he'd still be considered a very good player. He simply isnt playing like he did before where he was starting for France and Kante was not.
Number alone doesn't describe enough whether he's an exceptional or no as an individual. The number itself can be due to his team mate or the team's playing style.

Player like Kante & Casemiro are exceptional in what they do not only because the number but also because they have great attributes to be exceptional ball winner & I'm not talking about technical attributes here. As a result, the influence they have in both club & country are shown on the pitch.

Ekeke

Number alone doesn't describe enough whether he's an exceptional or no as an individual. The number itself can be due to his team mate or the team's playing style.

Player like Kante & Casemiro are exceptional in what they do not only because the number but also because they have great attributes to be exceptional ball winner & I'm not talking about technical attributes here. As a result, the influence they have in both club & country are shown on the pitch.
I dont disagree that other skills are important, but the idea that Schneiderlin makes lots of tackles and interceptions like he did at Southampton but didnt make it at United and isnt standing out at Everton is incorrect

He stopped doing what he was known for and his reputation went down because of it. Its not because he carried on doing the exact same things and it turns out they werent good enough

thepolice123

Ndidi wins so much balls exactly because he covers so much ground (which is also related to stamina) and is aggressive in the tackle. He can make interceptions because he reads the play well too (which is also related to intelligence). If not how is he going to win the ball back for Leicester?

You mean to tell me every game he gets lucky and somehow manages to tackle a few lads every game? Give it a break.:lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ndidi wins so much balls exactly because he covers so much ground (which is also related to stamina) and is aggressive in the tackle. He can make interceptions because he reads the play well too (which is also related to intelligence).

You mean to tell me every game he gets lucky and somehow manages to tackle a few lads every game? Give it a break.:lol:
So now you are finally see the relation with the attributes that I mentioned, took you ages.

The issue is that you are struggling to see that Kante & Casemiro are better in those attributes. I never say Ndidi doesn't have stamina or can't read the game well. Number of interception & tackles in stats don't justify enough to call the player is individually exceptional as ball winning midfielder. Watching the game and compare the players will give you better image to see that those two are much better player than Ndidi.

Okey

I've never liked stats much, maybe cos I can trust my eyes when I watch games. Ndidi is an excellent but highly underrated DM. In a direct comparison with Kante and CASEMIRO though, he would easily come 3rd, but that's because the other 2 are better footballers - can carry a ball along the pitch better and use it better, basically they possess better technical skills. As a pure ball winner, Kante stands alone. Simply phenomenal player. In other attributes, Ndidi isn't far behind and can hold his own against those two.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I dont disagree that other skills are important, but the idea that Schneiderlin makes lots of tackles and interceptions like he did at Southampton but didnt make it at United and isnt standing out at Everton is incorrect

He stopped doing what he was known for and his reputation went down because of it. Its not because he carried on doing the exact same things and it turns out they werent good enough
The idea of me using Schneiderlin as an example is to say that stats can mislead something in term of judging individual player. I never mention that he didn't make it at United due to his number isn't as good as he was at Southampton.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I've never liked stats much, maybe cos I can trust my eyes when I watch games. Ndidi is an excellent but highly underrated DM. In a direct comparison with Kante and CASEMIRO though, he would easily come 3rd, but that's because the other 2 are better footballers - can carry a ball along the pitch better and use it better, basically they possess better technical skills. As a pure ball winner, Kante stands alone. Simply phenomenal player. In other attributes, Ndidi isn't far behind and can hold his own against those two.
Not so fast when there is Partey & Gueye. Pretty sure there are some other young players out there with the same potential as Ndidi.

thepolice123

So now you are finally see the relation with the attributes that I mentioned, took you ages.

The issue is that you are struggling to see that Kante & Casemiro are better in those attributes. I never say Ndidi doesn't have stamina or can't read the game well. Number of interception & tackles in stats don't justify enough to call the player is individually exceptional as ball winning midfielder. Watching the game and compare the players will give you better image to see that those two are much better player than Ndidi.
Ball-winning is a Football skill where statistic on tackles won and interceptions can tell the whole story. Because how else are you going to win the ball back? That’s the whole point everyone here is trying to make. It’s such a simple Football term easily quantifiable by statistic.

If a player wins a lot of tackles it is easy to tell that he is: Strong, aggressive, covers ground, has good timing and reads the play well

If a player makes a lot of interceptions it is easy to tell that he: Reads the play well, has good timing, intelligent, positionally sound.

As an overall midfield package, you have a case where Kante and Casemiro are better and more complete midfielders. But in terms of pure ball-winning, Ndidi is one of the best in the world no doubt.

Ekeke

The idea of me using Schneiderlin as an example is to say that stats can mislead something in term of judging individual player. I never mention that he didn't make it at United due to his number isn't as good as he was at Southampton.
Thats the point. He didnt do the same things at United as he did at Southampton. Had he have done the same things as he was doing and why we signed him, he'd probably have made it

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Thats the point. He didnt do the same things at United as he did at Southampton. Had he have done the same things as he was doing and why we signed him, he'd probably have made it
Had he done the same things or he's just incapable to do the same thing with different players around him & different team. It's 2 different things.

That's your point but it has no relation to my original point.

I have said this before that the number itself can be due to the team mate around him or the team's playing style. May be he only suits under Poch or Southampton's style. May be he only suits playing next to Wanyama. Stats can mislead something in term of judging individual player.

Ekeke

Had he done the same things or he's just incapable to do the same thing with different players around him & different team. It's 2 different things.

That's your point but it has no relation to my original point.

I have said this before that the number itself can be due to the team mate around him or the team's playing style. May be he only suits under Poch or Southampton's style. May be he only suits playing next to Wanyama. Stats can mislead something in term of judging individual player.
Then why was he being picked by France? They arent copying Southampton. He was a starter while he was in form until he signed for us and didnt win the ball as well.

Okey

Not so fast when there is Partey & Gueye. Pretty sure there are some other young players out there with the same potential as Ndidi.
Definitely lots of other brilliant DMs. I only said he'd come third in a direct comparison against 2 named players. Not a ranking involving others.

Okey

Ball-winning is a Football skill where statistic on tackles won and interceptions can tell the whole story. Because how else are you going to win the ball back? That’s the whole point everyone here is trying to make. It’s such a simple Football term easily quantifiable by statistic.

If a player wins a lot of tackles it is easy to tell that he is: Strong, aggressive, covers ground, has good timing and reads the play well

If a player makes a lot of interceptions it is easy to tell that he: Reads the play well, has good timing, intelligent, positionally sound.

As an overall midfield package, you have a case where Kante and Casemiro are better and more complete midfielders. But in terms of pure ball-winning, Ndidi is one of the best in the world no doubt.
Yep. My point...much more eloquently put.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I disagree about telling the whole story. Number of interception & tackles won't tell the whole story because it also can be depend on the team playing style or his team mate. I have used Schneiderlin comparison even the topic of Herrera vs Kante in 2016/2017, it can be misleading in term of judging individual player.

An example is player like Kante can cover the ground like crazy even running back from opposition box to his own box to win the ball back, all due to stamina & physical attribute. It's an example what makes him an exceptional ball winning. You can't judge that in stats of tackles & interception alone.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Then why was he being picked by France? They arent copying Southampton. He was a starter while he was in form until he signed for us and didnt win the ball as well.
Bakayako was being picked by France.

Ekeke

Same goes with Schneiderlin when he was playing well for Southampton yes.
Yes, when they were both playing well making Chelsea and United want to buy them for significant money, Schneiderlin was starting for his country and Bakayako had a bit of involvement. Whats your point?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes, when they were both playing well making Chelsea and United want to buy them for significant money, Schneiderlin was starting for his country and Bakayako had a bit of involvement. Whats your point?
My point is still the same that number of interception & tackles in stats can mislead something, being picked by France doesn’t mean he’s that special when Bakayoko also got picked.

Bakayoko came in when Kante already been introduced, of course he won’t start over Kante while Schneiderlin started in France before Kante was well known.

thepolice123

I disagree about telling the whole story. Number of interception & tackles won't tell the whole story because it also can be depend on the team playing style or his team mate. I have used Schneiderlin comparison even the topic of Herrera vs Kante in 2016/2017, it can be misleading in term of judging individual player.

An example is player like Kante can cover the ground like crazy even running back from opposition box to his own box to win the ball back, all due to stamina & physical attribute. It's an example what makes him an exceptional ball winning. You can't judge that in stats of tackles & interception alone.
Yes it can, because well, we are talking about ball winning which is essentially just tackling and intercepting. It’s that clear cut with no intangibles.

If we are talking about finishing or passing then it is not so clear cut because there are intangibles involved.

And Ndidi covered more ground than Kante last season. So your point is?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes it can, because well, we are talking about ball winning which is essentially just tackling and intercepting. It’s that clear cut with no intangibles.

If we are talking about finishing or passing then it is not so clear cut because there are intangibles involved.

And Ndidi covered more ground than Kante last season. So your point is?
Yes that’s for a lazy way to judge ball winning. Let’s use stats of two things, don’t need to watch game to measure the level of impact the players made. Scout should stop watching football to judge players and just use stats only and sign them.

If you can read my post properly you will notice that my point is still the same that numbers in stats can mislead something in judging individual player. Number can go higher depends on the team playing style or also his team mate. Chelsea last season was a more attacking team and Kante himself played less defensive role.

thepolice123

Yes that’s for a lazy way to judge ball winning. Let’s use stats of two things, don’t need to watch game to measure the level of impact the players made. Scout should stop watching football to judge players and just use stats only and sign them.

If you can read my post properly you will notice that my point is still the same that numbers in stats can mislead something in judging individual player. Number can go higher depends on the team playing style or also his team mate. Chelsea last season was a more attacking team and Kante himself played less defensive role.
Because ball winning is simply a very specific part of the game? Just like how free kick is. If we want to see how good a free kick taker is, we simply look at his free kick conversion rate. Likewise with ball-winning, we look at tackles and interception. What is so hard to understand about that?

A player who ran 5 yards to win the ball is equally as a good a ball winner as someone who ran 20 yards. The only difference is one of them simply ran more. And defensive midfielders usually don’t even need to run box-to-box to make tackles. Such a pointless argument to make. And its already proven that players with high tackling and interception stats usually cover more ground, are more combative on the pitch and defensively solid. All of which makes your initial point moot. Just by watching Ndidi is enough to know he is one of the best. He is just as good Casemiro currently.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Because ball winning is simply a very specific part of the game? Just like how free kick is. If we want to see how good a free kick taker is, we simply look at his free kick conversion rate. Likewise with ball-winning, we look at tackles and interception. What is so hard to understand about that?

A player who ran 5 yards to win the ball is equally as a good a ball winner as someone who ran 20 yards. The only difference is one of them simply ran more. And defensive midfielders usually don’t even need to run box-to-box to make tackles. Such a pointless argument to make. And its already proven that players with high tackling and interception stats usually cover more ground, are more combative on the pitch and defensively solid. All of which makes your initial point moot. Just by watching Ndidi is enough to know he is one of the best. He is just as good Casemiro currently.
Free kick is one specific thing. Ball winning midfielder is not, it's one of role of midfielder like box to box, deep playmaker, regista and etc. Once again, another lazy comparison that doesn't have similarity of how scout or people judge them. If I'm a scout and I want to find a good free kick tacker, I can use stats only. But if I want to find top ball winning midfielder I will use both stats and watching the game to see it myself whether he will suit my team or no.

Mcking

Free kick is one specific thing. Ball winning midfielder is not, it's one of role of midfielder like box to box, deep playmaker, regista and etc. Once again, another lazy comparison that doesn't have similarity of how scout or people judge them. If I'm a scout and I want to find a good free kick tacker, I can use stats only. But if I want to find top ball winning midfielder I will use both stats and watching the game to see it myself whether he will suit my team or no.
Dunno if you are arguing just for the sake of arguing, but you are having a mare, man. No one said exceptional ball-winning midfielder, just exceptional ball-winner. An exceptional ball-winner is someone that wins the ball a lot, just like an exceptional goalscorer is someone that scores a lot of goals. Ball-winning isn't some term coined by Jose Mourinho or Johan Cruyff for specific positions, it is basic English. It doesn't matter if the player is as slow as Blanc, provided he wins the ball back at an exceptional rate, then he is an exceptional ball-winner.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Dunno if you are arguing just for the sake of arguing, but you are having a mare, man. No one said exceptional ball-winning midfielder, just exceptional ball-winner. An exceptional ball-winner is someone that wins the ball a lot, just like an exceptional goalscorer is someone that scores a lot of goals. Ball-winning isn't some term coined by Jose Mourinho or Johan Cruyff for specific positions, it is basic English. It doesn't matter if the player is as slow as Blanc, provided he wins the ball back at an exceptional rate, then he is an exceptional ball-winner.
You are twisting this mate for the sake of arguing. If it was the case then we should compare the stats with defenders as well because they win the ball a lot. At the end of the day when someone call him a ball winner means his role is to win the ball back which one of the common role in midfield a ball winning midfielder.

Needham

Leicester should know their place in the footballing tradition and become to us what Southampton became to Liverpool.

In Rainbows

Honestly we just need a destroyer. I couldn't give a shit about his passing as long as it isn't as bad as Fred's.

We concede far too many chances and we're so easy to run/pass through it's ridiculous that we're arguing over how good they are at passing when we just need them to tackle and intercept and not have our defence under seige every time a team goes forward.
I wanted him this summer because we lack a defensive presence in midfield. When United are at its peak, sure it would make more sense to have a more cultured passer to go along with defensive presence, but as of right now, we need a player that provides what he provides. He's a great squad option as we lack that with Matic being slow as ice melting in the freezer.

thepolice123

I think English is not his best language. :lol: