Wilfred Zaha to stop taking the knee

mancan92

At the end of the day the taking the knee has gone on too long. Do it for a period as a sign of respect and support but there's no need to just keep it going endlessly it opens the door for huge conversations and arguments about it.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Apologies, I wasn’t trying to be funny or offensive and I’m definitely not stupid. I just imagined a scenario what obviously I souldn’t have shared here becouse people find it offensive. I didn’t expect that. I just asked myself the question what I would do on the pitch if I were black/mixed race/white and I couldn’t answer. So sorry everyone for being inconsiderate I will rather discuss this with friends who won’t ferl offended.
"You're the problem, not me."

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Thought this deserves its own thread.

His thoughts:

DoomSlayer

How many threads are people going to make on the same issue? Should have merged all of them together in a megathread and keep all the racism accusations in one place ffs... Because that's all these "discussions" go to in the end.

Wilt

I guess Zaha’s actions will spell the beginning of the end for taking the knee. He‘s well known and I imagine others will follow.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He mentions it not being enough, but the whole point is meant to be catalysing more from it. He obviously doesn't have to do anything, and shouldn't have to, but to criticise it, possibly end up actually catalysing the end of it, while not offering anything himself despite being in a great position to do so, all in one fell swoop, seems a bit of a poor show?

There’s clearly some people in a better position than I to speak about it also confused by this and my view sides with theirs, before anyone says, but I'm open to changing my mind.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How many threads are people going to make on the same issue? Should have merged all of them together in a megathread and keep all the racism accusations in one place ffs... Because that's all these "discussions" go to in the end.
To be fair that tweet was only 15 minutes old and I have thought that it would be quite a relevant topic.

Leanshig

It just seems like a token gesture particularly from sporting bodies who did nothing to combat racism for years. Suarez to name one example, Russian and other far right ultras getting petty fines when Rooney got an excess ban for swearing into a camera being another.

GordonG

Hats off to Wilfred! Politics have no room in football and creates a more divided society, if anything.

It's not as black and white (no pun intended) as BML or most other extremist groups try to paint the picture as.

E.g. blacks themselves commit way more crimes against both blacks and whites, but this is rarely talked about. With BML-logic and dividing everyone into groups by skin color - it should obviously be mentioned too.

On a personal level I'm sick and tired of the constant dividing of groups, whether its skin color and race, religion or gender.

It's incredibly toxic and should not be promoted in the slightest as it will just weaken the society as a whole, with groups hating eachother for no apparent reason other than superficial.

We are all human at the end of the day and there is no need to label one another constantly.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It just seems like a token gesture particularly from sporting bodies who did nothing to combat racism for years. Suarez to name one example, Russian and other far right ultras getting petty fines when Rooney got an excess ban for swearing into a camera being another.
That it's happened will potentially mean these things are taken more seriously in the future though. They know eyes are on them.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Exactly what a racist would say.

MattofManchester

Hats off to Wilfred! Politics have no room in football and creates a more divided society, if anything.

It's not as black and white (no pun intended) as BML or most other extremist groups try to paint the picture as.

E.g. blacks themselves commit way more crimes against both blacks and whites, but this is rarely talked about. With BML-logic and dividing everyone into groups by skin color - it should obviously be mentioned too.

On a personal level I'm sick and tired of the constant dividing of groups, whether its skin color and race, religion or gender.

It's incredibly toxic and should not be promoted in the slightest as it will just weaken the society as a whole, with groups hating eachother for no apparent reason other than superficial.

We are all human at the end of the day and there is no need to label one another constantly.
Oy vey.....

I don't know why I always end up surprised by stuff like this.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
How about: if somebody wants to take a knee, they take a knee; and if somebody doesn't want to, they don't?

Don't see why it has to be so controversial either way.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Not for promotion.

lex talionis

Fine by me. I would rather see those who mean it take the knee than make all footballers take the knee, regardless of their true feelings about this gesture.

But we still have a long way to go in our society (I’m in the US). Last weekend I got together with old and friend and she‘s sick and tired of hearing about racism. You see, there’s nothing we can do about racism so why should we care any longer?

This conversation took place on February 13, 2021.

Cloud7

Do they make you lot in a factory or something?

Acole9

Outstanding
I imagine many more will follow him now. They probably just didn't want to be the first one to announce it.

Stuff like this always has a shelf life and I think its message isn't as strong as it was a few months ago.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’d imagine all of Palace will stand now to support Zaha and not leave him singled out

VanKenny

Nice to see a player with common sense and good critical thinking. Hopefully this will put an end to that mockery.

spiriticon

Honestly don't care whether he does or he doesn't

I find it a hell of a strange gesture anyway since taking the knee generally means subservience in many cultures.

caid

I only heard a few soundbites but his decision seems fair enough. Its not much of a symbol of support if everyone is compelled to do it and theres other ways to support the idea.

The Firestarter

Enjoy your DNP tag.

tjb

He mentions it not being enough, but the whole point is meant to be catalysing more from it. He obviously doesn't have to do anything, and shouldn't have to, but to criticise it, possibly end up actually catalysing the end of it, while not offering anything himself despite being in a great position to do so, all in one fell swoop, seems a bit of a poor show?

There’s clearly some people in a better position than I to speak about it also confused by this and my view sides with theirs, before anyone says, but I'm open to changing my mind.
I agree with you. Clearly something has to be done to create more awareness of these issues as the last month has shown us how prevalent racist behavior still is in the game. Criticizing an initiative brought to promote change and offering nothing in return except criticism doesn't solve anything either.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
How about: if somebody wants to take a knee, they take a knee; and if somebody doesn't want to, they don't?

Don't see why it has to be so controversial either way.
Because when those who don't want to take the knee don't, they are labeled as 'racist' 'priviledged' 'white supremacists', who are part of the problem and should be publicly shamed. That's the culture we are living in now.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Constant dividing of groups yet you throw out a stat about ‘blacks committing more crimes against blacks and whites’ is a very divisive stat in itself

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout

Dayum.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Do you seriously think 'blacks commit more crimes' is appropriate?
Some years ago this question would have been...“wait!...is this true? If yes then what can we do about it?”
In 2021 the question is about if it's appropriate to make a statement of fact. If you don't see a problem with this then I truly don't know anymore.
Before anyone gets pissed by this, I'm as black as we come from Ghana, West Africa and apparently black people can't be racist so...:wenger:

MattofManchester

I'm gonna weigh in on this just a bit. But not directly, more on the topic of Wilfred Zaha, having constantly seen him in the press every time he doesn't like or approve of something.

The problem with Wilfried Zaha is that he likes to offer complaints, but he never offers solutions. He has a track record of it.
Everything is wrong. This is wrong. That is wrong.
"So what should we do about?"
"I don't know, but it's wrong and I don't like it!"

This is just going down that route again.

The fact is, that simple action of bending the knee has made a lot of people uncomfortable. Redcafe had a thread full of it where people couldn't stand seeing an action that lasted all of about 30 seconds. I mean, if it doesn't bother you, why do you care? Which means it does bother you.
In that case, the solidarity has worked.
But, yes, there does need to be more done to further the movement of equality.

But what Zaha suggests doesn't do that. What he suggests is to go back to normal, which drifts us back in time. I envision all the players who have been racially abused on social media will stop coming forward regarding their abuse, and the issue will die down, which in this case will make the PL directors very happy.
It's similar to #MeToo. BLM created a movement that made others more confident in coming forward to detail their abuse. They felt they would be supported.
Footballers have been racially abused for decades, on social media and off. This is not a new occurrence. It's tone deaf and ignorant to suggest so.

We've just seen Willian do the opposite after being racially abused saying we should tackle this.

How does Zaha expect to move forward? By suing 13 year old kids? How does that solve the greater issue?

Frankly, he is a footballer and he has massive social standing.
Since he's given himself a platform to criticize, then he should be criticized on not using his platform to do better.
The fact is that footballers need to put pressure on the PL directly to do better. They need to fight to combat racism. Transformation, harsher punishments, taking on social media abuse directly. The fact is they are allowed to tiptoe around everything, while doing the very minimum. The PL would get very itchy indeed if players start holding them accountable more directly. O

Obviously this is an idealistic situation, but if he wants to offer up criticism, then he should be offering up an alternative.

SplitzMagic

Well if anything it's had the opposite effect. It isolates and then makes non blacks also feel some kind of way.

Since this BLM stuff racism has increased and more so in football. You only have to open up bbc sport and see someone new has been racially abused online by fans.

I agree with Zaha. It's just not working.