Wilfried Zaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
It's more that we don't seem to play with those sorts of attackers, Fergie seems to prefer more direct forwards who are quick with the ball, rather than technical little ball players. Kagawa is the only real exception we've made, his playing style is very similar to those who you described, and I think he went for Kagawa over those as he's the one who has proved to play his best football down the middle, whereas the rest have arguably been better starting from a wide position.
He also went for Nasri. I've no doubt had we picked up one of the Spanish 'midfielders' currently plying their trade in the prem we'd win the league at a canter this season. At the end of the day a team with RvP, Rooney, Cazorla/Mata/Silva and Nani/Kagawa in it looks pretty exceptional. It's not as if we'll never use wing play again what with Rafael and Evra bombing forward all game as well. Our 'direct' wingers this year have been woeful, so its not as if we've been heavily reliant on them either.

question is - do Manchester United need them? answer, 5 points clear at the top of the league, is likely a 'no'.

if Mourinho, hypothetically, comes in and has a slew of _____ players in his XI - i'm sure there'd be a post that we don't have enough English players.

stick with homegrown. stick with what works. stick with history.
Romantic rubbish. Ignore the best pool of talent in the world because it's not traditional? :lol:

Robbie Boy

I was getting worried about this thread, given that it took so long to get bumped this morning. Phew.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Romantic rubbish. Ignore the best pool of talent in the world because it's not traditional? :lol:
Moo is still entrenched in the mindset of the British Empire, in that, 'British is best', even when it is clearly not. As a footballing nation we are at our lowest ebb in 10 - 15 years in terms of player quality, this coming from a generally inglorious footballing nation in the first place. I do not really understand why we would want to pursue a policy of signing more and more English players at this point. We have more than enough to meet the homegrown rules.

We don't have any Spanish outfield players in an era when they are likely the greatest footballing nation ever.

Goooose

As a footballing nation we are at our lowest ebb in 10 - 15 years in terms of player quality, this coming from a generally inglorious footballing nation in the first place. I do not really understand why we would want to pursue a policy of signing more and more English players at this point. We have more than enough to meet the homegrown rules.
How do you expect England to get any better as a footballing nation if none of the younger players are playing at the highest level?

We don't have any Spanish outfield players in an era when they are likely the greatest footballing nation ever.
That's because the good ones are expensive as shit.

lunchforthesky

How do you expect England to get any better as a footballing nation if none of the younger players are playing at the highest level?

That's not really true. Cazorla and Mata were both cheap in relation to their ability. If they were English they'd have cost a lot more.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

1. Through better grass roots coaching. The universally accepted method. Accepted through being tried and tested in other nations, like Spain!

2. We are going to pay almost as much for Zaha as Arsenal did for Cazorla. Silva went for 25m and Michu for 2m. I really have no idea what you are talking about here.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

There's far too much talent in Spain for the majority of it to be at Barcelona.
Considering some of the exceptional Spanish talents that play for some of our rivals, all bought for very reasonable fees I might add, I would have to agree.

binary bot
Moses who parted the sea wasn't old and grumpy!

I'm old enough to remember.

Woodzy

Does the one who parted the sea protect the net? I think we should introduce all three Mosai (collective noun for moses) into this to clear things up.

Comsmit

Yeah, that's a long winded way of saying it's still used, the guy was right to use it and you were being a pedantic prick. Innit?
The same way he was right to be overly sarcastic and a tad petty about an assessment of a player who divides opinion? I suppose you don't bother with that when you are so eager to step in and be a fecking hero.

There's nothing long winded about it, he can use the word but it's still based on a fundemental and recognised error. The same way his assessment of my post was based on nothing more than the way I worded it. Hence I took him to task on his use of a particular word that he gratuitiously included to heighten his mockery.

Pedantic? Absolutely....Prick? Well you are obviously a fine judge in that department...innit?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Telegraph, Times, Independent all reporting that a deal close to 12m is about to be sealed. The sticking point is that Ferguson wants him right now.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Wenger proves that someone has been spinning Man Utd a line on Zaha. We got a free run at him. A lesson in agents and clubs playing the media. If we are to pay over 10m for him then there is no way that he can go back on loan there. Lets see him in a red shirt on Saturday.

Viva Zaha.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Wenger proves that someone has been spinning Man Utd a line on Zaha. We got a free run at him. A lesson in agents and clubs playing the media. If we are to pay over 10m for him then there is no way that he can go back on loan there. Lets see him in a red shirt on Saturday.

Viva Zaha.
Don't believe when Wenger said they were interested in him.

Believe when it looks like we've made a deal on him and then Wenger says he's not interested.

You've been fecking hilarious in this thread.

Forevergiggs

Of all everyone's concern on Zaha, yours is the most ridiculous Jimy.

Wenger's statement proves nothing. If anything it's says that he has lost out in the race to sign him.

Drifter

American
BBC now reporting it looks like it could be wrapped up this week.So no new signings SAF?.:)

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If we are signing him, I'd want him now. feck loaning them back. Our wingers are under-performing; what harm will it do to have a bright, young English talent in there instead.

prateik

The chances of him being loaned back to Selhurst Park are hampered by the fact that the Ivory Coast-born forward is eligible to play in the Champions League, although he is cup-tied for the FA Cup.
Yep.. I can totally see Fergie giving him minutes against Madrid.

stubie

If we are signing him, I'd want him now. feck loaning them back. Our wingers are under-performing; what harm will it do to have a bright, young English talent in there instead.
Another few months at Palace will benefit him as he will be playing regular Football.

Man-United

Must be hard to take for Palace fans as they have seen us as their bitter rivals since 1995.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Don't believe when Wenger said they were interested in him.

Believe when it looks like we've made a deal on him and then Wenger says he's not interested.

You've been fecking hilarious in this thread.
:lol:

Who bid for him though KM, the great race never really got started did it? Chelsea and City admired from afar, casting desirous glances at the silky star but mysterious forces kept their hands in pocket. Wenger was mad for a January transfer double of Zaha and Cavani, ready to smash his wage and transfer structure in a winter frenzy, yet sense eventually prevailed and he went back to looking for free transfers from mid table French teams.

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
i agree......he can be a bit part player whilst establishing himself in the squad, familiarising himself with United and all that it brings, then after a good pre-season he'l be good to go next year. loaning him back only puts back that whole process.

plus if RVP says he's learning and developing everyday at united then i think zaha would also benefit from this. plus he'l be less likeley to pick up a knock, if he wasnt already a marked man in the championship he will be even more when he becomes a united player.

Status
Not open for further replies.