Gaming Will Artificial Intelligence usher in a great age of gaming?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If you’ve been following the SF6 scene, you’ll know of the storm level 8 CPU is causing as there are numerous videos of pro SF players getting the living shit beat out of them by what looks like a flawless, adaptive, CPU.

There are countless pros rushing to upload their own experiences of playing against the AI-infused computer opponents. If you don’t know, even the toughest games have triggered patterns that break ‘tough’ CPU opponents, what’s strikingly different with this CPU is that it is adjusting to strategies; it knows what to do in certain scenarios; it is hit-confirming from speculative gambits. It’s a really big deal.

Is this the tip of the iceberg for gaming? Are CPU opponents going to become the perfect sparring partner? Transferring this to other vs. Games, imagine a PES with an engine that learns and improves, or a racer bespoke to your play style. How far the possibilities extend, and in what weird and wonderful ways might we see games enhanced because of AI? Unlike other fields where the technology is extremely concerning, is, or can there be, any downside at all to its application in games?

At the moment, because fighting games are rather niche, I figure most have no idea about this revelation, or maybe I’m wrong… is it being applied to other games already that I’ve no idea about?

hobbers

Alphastar did a decent job on Starcraft2 a few years ago, made it to the top 0.2% of players.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
GT7 had an AI racer available to race against for a while as a trial:

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gran-turismo-sophy/

Gran Turismo Sophy (GT Sophy) is a revolutionary superhuman racing agent developed through the collaboration between Sony AI, Polyphony Digital (PDI), and Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE). The agent was designed to compete against top Gran Turismo® Sport drivers and elevate their gaming experience.

GT Sophy was trained using novel deep reinforcement learning techniques, including state-of-the-art learning algorithms and training scenarios developed by Sony AI, using Gran Turismo Sport, a real driving simulator, and by leveraging SIE’s cloud gaming infrastructure for massive scale training.
I watched some videos of people racing against it and it presented an incredibly tough challenge apparently.

Woodzy

I was thinking the other day about how they can use AI to dynamically change character interaction in RPG games, then found yesterday that there’s already a Skyrim mod being made for this.

Member 125398

I was thinking the other day about how they can use AI to dynamically change character interaction in RPG games, then found yesterday that there’s already a Skyrim mod being made for this.
I used to be an AI, then I took an arrow in the knee.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah this is the direction I hope it goes. It would breathe new life into open world RPGs.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
This doesn't impact competitive gaming much. It's banneable in the same way scripting is. Its possible that fighting pros will study/practice with the AI and it will shape the meta/game in general, similar to how chess engines influenced chess.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah. It would be amazing playing an RPG where NPC dynamics are fluid with your save so they remember you've interacted before and have additional dialogue etc.