Will Bruno achieve legend status at utd?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Man Utd was relegated in 1973-74 and Robson arrived in 1981, so the expectations were not very high.

We won the last EPL in 2013 and Bruno arrived in 2019, so the expectations have been (and still are) really high.

This makes a huge difference!

Bruno plays every game, he tries hard every game from start to finish, he covers the whole field, he has been our best player in the past 5 years ... all that are similar to Robson. But it is not enough for Bruno because our expectations are now very different. Sure, Bruno has bad games (but he still runs and tries) ... and actually Robson had bad games too, but again that's not the defining difference, it is our expectations that are vastly different.

Basically, Bruno has to win the EPL or else he will not be considered a legend, no matter what else he does.
When? When did Bryan Robson have a bad game? It is defining because Bruno plays like shite 4 games out of 5. If not more.

Tyrion

Terrifying.

Like saying the next generation of youth products have to try to be as good as McTominay and Lingard.
Lingard was lazy while Bruno is our best player and has been since he arrived barring the odd good couple of months from Rashford.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I dont find these comparison very apt to be fair. And to me this smells of statpicking. The last 3 years under Mourinho you mention is in a very well funded team with one of the best managers in modern football and who had an overly big focus on defence. Compare it to Solskjær being more attacking, terrible Rangnick and all the defensive aspects of those two. You cant just attribute a 25% decrease to just one man. Well yes you can, if you statpick. But you mentioned not having eyes. Did you not see his first half season here?

why exclude that half season which was one of Bruno’s best parts where he hit the ground running? Because we had a really good run and it might tip the stats, thats why it doesnt count in your stats.

That half season tips quite a lot. In 14 games Bruno had 8 goals and 7 assists and we won 9, drew 5 and lost 0 in the 19/20 season after he arrived. Ask any United fan with eyes and they could see the effect he had on a team that was in a slump.

before that it’s 9w 7d 8l in the same season. Funny you just nulled his effect in that season and didnt count it in the stats against him.

Sure you can count trophies and it’s 2 vs 1 but was Bruno the only player on the field since you can attribute 2 sets of 25 players achievements of trophies down to just one player? Can i categorize David May as better than Gerrard too then?

Granted, his current season is not great at all, but he’s been the main factor here for years now.
Woah….you made the comparison. Or did you just mean the week before he signed?

Leaving out a third of a season isn’t stat picking, it’s because where do you then start and end with the comparison? What time frame would I pick pre Bruno? You were the one who claimed we were worse before he came.

So ok let’s say we include the first 3 months he played. Then we have to include this season also.

Then we have to go back another season to 2015/16 when we won the FA Cup and then it just gets worse for Bruno because it’s now 3 trophies to 1 and we definitely were not worse over the same timeframe before he came as we have been since he came.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Lingard was lazy while Bruno is our best player and has been since he arrived barring the odd good couple of months from Rashford.
Do you mean that Bruno has been our best performing player in all the time he’s been here other than the odd month over that period?

Tyrion

Do you mean that Bruno has been our best performing player in all the time he’s been here other than the odd month over that period?
Yes he's done more for the team than any other player over that period.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yes he's done more for the team than any other player over that period.
Absolute nonsense. He has not been our best performing player every month other than a couple. He’s been abysmal all season and was abysmal the season Ronaldo was here….last season Rashford, Casemiro, Martinez and Shaw were better.

TsuWave

“Emotionally veering off topic?” :lol: What a load of nonsense. You display arrogance, yet dont enter the debate with any useful arguments at all, then just try to slag off people who actually do come up with arguments. If you disagree, at least do use arguments/point out where you disagree. Else this forum would just be like 4 year olds yelling at each other, which is frankly what your post reminds me of. Boring stuff.
Just saying things, unfortunately don't make them true. Please read this exchange - do you think you're behaving in a reasonable manner:

We're Manchester United, you know.

Edit - Just noticed the OP also says "he must have all the credentials, surely?". Wow.
Been our best performer almost every year since joining, but yeah let’s slag him off and pretend United will turn everything around completely as soon as he’s gone.
Once you're done with whatever it is you're doing in the post above - can we back on topic about the "Manchester United legend" thing, please?
You sound rather chomical, when trying to display arrogance.
So you went from random hysterics to widely off the mark assumptions. Cool, can we get back to the matter at hand?

For clarification - there's no arrogance in asking you to get back on track if you're emotionally veering off-topic.

Forget you're involved for a second - and make an effort to be honest - do you think that's a normal conversation flow?

I disagreed that he's a United legend and you quoted me with an emotionally charged persecution complex post about "slagging Bruno off and pretending United will turn everything around completely as soon as he's gone" <- Where was any of that said here? And how is it relevant to the discussion regarding him supposedly being a United legend?

I asked you to get back on topic - and you replied about me being arrogant - again, because you somehow decided Bruno was being slagged off because I disagreed with the notions of him being a United legend or that he has all credentials for such. Lastly, you made no points. Your reply doesn't even go with or apply to my post that you quoted. This is odd all around.

TsuWave

He is the club captain, great support within fan base, achieved some spectacular individual numbers, the list goes on. He is a player next generation of United players will have to emulate.

I don’t rate him but I won’t be dishonest with the reality.
I don't think being club captain inherently makes you a legend, and he's captaining arguably our worst period in modern history. Bruno is a polemic/divisive character/player for the fanbase, just look at this thread. Football has changed, his spectacular individual numbers haven't led to much substantial in terms of trophies or periods of dominance for United.

I mean Ronaldo's status as a "legend" is often debated on this forum - and he was the best player in the world and core to one of our most dominant eras as a club - but somehow Bruno Fernandes is a "legend"? Maybe I overestimate our size and history, but I just don't see how Bruno qualifies as one.

Tyrion

Absolute nonsense. He has not been our best performing player every month other than a couple. He’s been abysmal all season and was abysmal the season Ronaldo was here….last season Rashford, Casemiro, Martinez and Shaw were better.
Not for each and every single month. I mean over the whole of that period. I mean like the player of the season, not player of the match.

Tyrion

I don't think being club captain inherently makes you a legend, and he's captaining arguably our worst period in modern history. Bruno is a polemic/divisive character/player for the fanbase, just look at this thread. Football has changed, his spectacular individual numbers haven't led to much substantial in terms of trophies or periods of dominance for United.
Because football is less about the individual which is why he can't really be judged negatively just because he plays here while the team is shite. Bebe has a league title. David May has 2 and was European champion. He's more a legend than Brian Robson if we're judging by trophies.

SAFMUTD

Cant be a legend without winning titles and I doubt we'll win anything meaningful in the next years so odds are against him.

Trequarista10

I think it depends on where you draw the line. If Park and Carrick are United are to be considered legends, then so should Bruno if we're being honest.

But if it's one thing the post Fergie era has taught me about United fans (at least online), it's that a player's legend status largely is dictated by their number of trophies won whilst playing for United. There are very few exceptions. At least among modern fans. De Gea is the best example of this. He should be a no-brainer for the legend discussion, but many posters outright seem to despise him. It's "death by association" in its purest form. It's impossible to remember De Gea without remembering the dark times post Fergie. Some fans even forget that De Gea has won the Premier League!
Trophies is part of it, but it's not as extreme as that. De Gea's stock in the first 5-6 years post SAF was extremely high. He was player of the season virtually every other season, he was routinely pulling out insane saves. At the time, many would have put him as United's best ever GK or at least in the conversation. And it wasn't because he won a PL under SAF, it was his performances during the bad times. I think the tide against De Gea only really started changing in the past few years, and that was because his own performances started to decline. I think in a few years time people will look more favourably on De Gea, once his decline is a less recent memory. He's on par with Schmeichel and Van Der Sar in my opinion.

Wilt

Shit Captain
moans
whinges
histrionics
goes missing when needed

Currently Utd’s best player ….which goes to show the level this club is at now.

TsuWave

Because football is less about the individual which is why he can't really be judged negatively just because he plays here while the team is shite. Bebe has a league title. David May has 2 and was European champion. He's more a legend than Brian Robson if we're judging by trophies.
That's the thing though - people seem to absolve Bruno of any responsibility when stating the team is shite, but then turn around and use "he's captain" as a bullet point for the pro legend argument. Bruno despite his numbers, has been at the center of many of our poor performances. The inconsistencies in his performances aren't something people are just imagining/making-up, nor are his disappearance acts against reputable opposition (I believe a poster has already catalogued how he fares in "big games" in this very same thread). Bruno doesn't just play here while the team is shite - our team is shite because players like Bruno have a really low floor.

Tyrion

That's the thing though - people seem to absolve Bruno of any responsibility when stating the team is shite, but then turn around and use "he's captain" as a bullet point for the pro legend argument. Bruno despite his numbers, has been at the center of many of our poor performances. The inconsistencies in his performances aren't something people are just imagining/making-up, nor are his disappearance acts against reputable opposition (I believe a poster has already catalogued how he fares in "big games" in this very same thread). Bruno doesn't just play here while the team is shite - our team is shite because players like Bruno have a really low floor.
I don't see him as a legend by the way. I just see him as a very good player for us. He's captain because he's our best player and the main cause of us playing well whenever we do. I doubt we'd be any better without him. I don't think he drags the team down in those games. He just can't outweigh the rest.

foolsgold

Bruno, a United legend? Surely OP is having a laugh. I wonder how old they are?

Deeply flawed player, who's output collapsed when we signed Ronaldo and never recovered. Petulant and sulky on the pitch, not remotely captain material.

To discuss him in the same terms as Robson or Keane is an absolute nonsense.

AshRK

Had he helped us win europa and more importantly stopped city winning the treble, then maybe. But now I would say a very good servant post SAF but couldn't be our modern day cantona.

gajender

No. Unless he plays a key role in our resurgence/winning the biggest trophies.
He won't unfortunately and if the new management can't see he is also big part of the problem , then we can't truly say we are moving in the right direction and new management isn't as clueless as the last one .

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife

I mean Ronaldo's status as a "legend" is often debated on this forum - and he was the best player in the world and core to one of our most dominant eras as a club - but somehow Bruno Fernandes is a "legend"? Maybe I overestimate our size and history, but I just don't see how Bruno qualifies as one.
Life is unfair.

NZT-One

I don't see him as a legend by the way. I just see him as a very good player for us. He's captain because he's our best player and the main cause of us playing well whenever we do. I doubt we'd be any better without him. I don't think he drags the team down in those games. He just can't outweigh the rest.
This is a legitimate standpoint to me. Even if I don't agree

...he's our best player...
he might be, thing is this isn't really saying much at all

...main cause of us playing well whenever we do...
Wouldn't agree here, this year so far, I thought Bruno played relatively similar most of the time, I think, we play well when we have an early lead or something that boosts the confidence. Bruno is a player that contributes by moments, a pass that comes off or a shot. It has to be said that I consider this season as a season where we haven't really played well. Actually at all. There were a few performances I'd consider as professional and there were a few good phases but a game where I thought wow, that was really good, I can't really remember one.

...doubt we'd be any better without him...
I doubt that as well. But most people claim that we should replace him with a player who has some use as well, maybe with a more rounded skillset and, OBVIOUSLY, in connection with a bit of style change towards a more controlled setup, at least in phases of the game when we WANT to have control. It is a common strawmen around here, acting as if most critics of Bruno just want him out while keeping the team the same.

...don't think he drags the team down...
I wouldn't say it like that as well. He doesn't drag but there have been quite a few games where, when the pressure rises, he starts to lose his head and is doing the risky stuff even more than usually. Which isn't dragging the team down per se, it just puts the team in positions it isn't really comfortable with which, to me, increases chances of blunders and mistakes.

...he just can't outweigh the rest...
Well yeah... not going to get into that I guess ^^

Last edited:

TsuWave

Life is unfair.
I generally agree with that sentiment, and going by this thread seems as though most don't think he's a United legend - harsh reality for him and those that think he is, but like you said - life isn't fair. Just harsh realities for Bruno.

hobbers

Because the team was trash. None of our players did much to help the team during Moyes season. Is Rooney and Rio out?
Because he was also trash. Not like he's ever elevated himself above the dumpster fires burning around him is it? When we get hammered 6-3 or 7-0 or 6-1 or 4-0 or 4-1 or 5-0 or 3-0 by Bournemouth has he ever stood out for a good reason?

Rio was 35 during Moyes season. Rooney was already well past his peak and got steadily worse under LVG.

But they were world class players in their prime and won trophies at every level............

Not some Europa league level journeymen who's career highlights are 4 mickey mouse cups.

Last edited:

Tyrion

Because he was also trash. Not like he's ever elevated himself above the dumpster fires burning around him is it? When we get hammered 6-3 or 7-0 or 6-1 or 4-0 or 4-1 or 5-0 or 3-0 by Bournemouth has he ever stood out for a good reason?

Rio was 35 during Moyes season. Rooney was already well past his peak and got steadily worse under LVG.

But they were world class players in their prime and won trophies at every level............

Not some Europa league level journeymen who's career highlights are 4 mickey mouse cups.
How many players stand out in a 6 0 defeat for a good reason? And winning trophies is something the team does, not the individual. Again David May was a European Champion and Brian Robson wasn't so the former is a legend and the latter isn't by your logic.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

If Bruno Fernandez was named Brian Ferdinand and Scott McTominay was named English Thomas, I bet you'd hold them in higher regard. You also don't like Southgate because 'Gareth' is a bit too Welsh for your liking. Admit it.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I will disregard any legend of the club if he gets legend status.

Martial

The same usual suspects still not over Pogba being shown up by Bruno it seems :lol:

Nicolarra90

From this squad I'd say only Garnacho, Mainoo (youth and talent) and maybe Rashford (if he finds last season form more frequently) have a chance to be a legend.
Varane and Casemiro might have been if they got here earlier.

But all of them need a major trophy to actually be considered. (PL or CL).

Tyrion

This is a legitimate standpoint to me. Even if I don't agree

...he's our best player...
he might be, thing is this isn't really saying much at all

...main cause of us playing well whenever we do...
Wouldn't agree here, this year so far, I thought Bruno played relatively similar most of the time, I think, we play well when we have an early lead or something that boosts the confidence. Bruno is a player that contributes by moments, a pass that comes off or a shot. It has to be said that I consider this season as a season where we haven't really played well. Actually at all. There were a few performances I'd consider as professional and there were a few good phases but a game where I thought wow, that was really good, I can't really remember one.

...doubt we'd be any better without him...
I doubt that as well. But most people claim that we should replace him with a player who has some use as well, maybe with a more rounded skillset and, OBVIOUSLY, in connection with a bit of style change towards a more controlled setup, at least in phases of the game when we WANT to have control. It is a common strawmen around here, acting as if most critics of Bruno just want him out while keeping the team the same.

...don't think he drags the team down...
I wouldn't say it like that as well. He doesn't drag but there have been quite a few games where, when the pressure rises, he starts to lose his head and is doing the risky stuff even more than usually. Which isn't dragging the team down per se, it just puts the team in positions it isn't really comfortable with which, to me, increases chances of blunders and mistakes.

...he just can't outweigh the rest...
Well yeah... not going to get into that I guess ^^
I agree with this as well. He definitely forces things sometimes and gives the ball away too much. He can also be petulant. I think I'm lenient on that because the rest just seem to accept it. At least he's visibly annoyed. The team is also so dysfunctional that I can hardly blame him for the lack of success during his time here. I just think he's done brilliantly to create as many chances as he has despite being in such a basketcase.

Bondi77

Nope
Has become a real whinger and he simply does not carry himself the way he should as a Captain.

hobbers

How many players stand out in a 6 0 defeat for a good reason? And winning trophies is something the team does, not the individual. Again David May was a European Champion and Brian Robson wasn't so the former is a legend and the latter isn't by your logic.
How many commonly thought of "club legends" at any of the biggest clubs in world football can you recall who contributed to so many humiliating maulings for their teams? I can't think of anyone. Because top clubs in periods of turmoil dont generate legends until they start winning again.

Now you're arbitrarily deciding that I think only European Cup winners can be club legends.

Last time I checked Robson has 2 league title medals and 5 cups. Last time I checked he was also a fantastic character who elevated others around him on and off the pitch. Check back in when Bruno is fit to wipe the arse of the guy who polishes Robson's shoes.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Without going into his individual merits, the current era juxtaposed against the club's history is such that no one playing in it has a chance of being considered a club legend.

The next United legend will be whoever plays a key role in the club's next title or CL win. I cannot see this happening during whatever time Bruno has left in his prime.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Really?

What's the criteria these days? Someone who runs a lot, acts like a dick and sprays around the ball without any plan when the going gets tough?

Okay then, maybe. But only if we can asterisk it and call him "The shittiest legend, for the shittiest era".

Zlatanator

given how hungry we are for a trophy, if he puts on a stellar performance in a winning season that itself will give him a legend status.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
He is to me. Arrived when the club is in turnoil, tries his best with all his limitations and wears the crest to heart. Only decent player in the club for over 5-6 years now. Yes, you read it right.. "only". And the man annoys the crap out of the scousers, whats not to like?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
For me unless he manages to help us win the premier league or some other big trophy he won't be. It will be similar to DDG where he will be viewed as a very good player for us, however won't be enough to raise him up with the legends as he doesn't have the trophies to match them.