Will Bruno leave penalties and free kicks to Ronaldo now?

lsd

The Oracle
Ronaldo will be taking them there is no debate and so long as he is not facing an Irisk keeper he will be fine

Crustanoid

I'd put Bruno on pens - he's lethal.

Free kicks are more nuanced in terms of position, distance etc. That should be decided based on the best option at the time

MadMike

I'd put Bruno on pens - he's lethal.

Free kicks are more nuanced in terms of position, distance etc. That should be decided based on the best option at the time
I'd leave Bruno on freekicks given that Ronaldo is on 1 goal in 3 years from freekicks. He's been appalling for a long time, from all distances.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Bruno is quite possibly the best penalty taker in the world. I don't think there's a player in world football who comes in and displaces him from taking penalties. I'd hope the manager puts his foot down on that. Bruno's record is better.

D. Mungai

Bruno is quite possibly the best penalty taker in the world. I don't think there's a player in world football who comes in and displaces him from taking penalties. I'd hope the manager puts his foot down on that. Bruno's record is better.
Some Italian in Chelsea can dispute that

Kag

It’s weak all round if Ronaldo takes them from Bruno.

Correct me if I’m wrong but Bruno must have the best (or at least one of the best) penalty record in Europe over the past couple of seasons. Only Jorginho and Kane stick out as comparatives.

The only reason Ronaldo would take them is because of his name, not his ability to take them.

Ole should make the decision for them.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Have a competition in training to decide. Can put it on ppv. If Ole wants to rig it in favor of ronaldo he can have De Gea save from Ronaldo and Heaton/Henderson save from Bruno.

Highfather_24

Meritocracy is dead if Ronaldo starts taking our pens. But he will, and they will spin it as "Strikers need confidence of goals".

The FK thing is confusing, because I'm not sure if either are the best takers at our club. Apparently Mason is fantastic at FKs, and Pogba aint bad either. Cavani is good as well.

bakalhau

Meritocracy is dead if Ronaldo starts taking our pens. But he will, and they will spin it as "Strikers need confidence of goals".

The FK thing is confusing, because I'm not sure if either are the best takers at our club. Apparently Mason is fantastic at FKs, and Pogba aint bad either. Cavani is good as well.
He had 3 huge penalties to take on in Euro 2020, and he banged all 3 in.

Meanwhile everyone here was laughing at Mbappe and everyone else that had to take it once and missed.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He had 3 huge penalties to take on in Euro 2020, and he banged all 3 in.

Meanwhile everyone here was laughing at Mbappe and everyone else that had to take it once and missed.
Looking at their historical records it is difficult to make a credible case for Ronaldo to take penalties ahead of Bruno. His percentage conversion rate is much lower. He’s not a bad taker, but he’s missed a lot over his career. It’s not a positive if he takes them

Free kicks I am less worried about as they are lower percentage chances anyway, and the impact of having a worse taker is diminished, but again Ronaldo shouldn’t be first choice in Bruno’s range.

Hanky panky

Does anyone have PK data from player in the last few seasons?

Im curious whos the best in all of europe.
Bruno is like 32 from the last 33. Got to be one of the best, if not the best. Ronaldo has missed 4-5 from same amount of penalties. It should be clear for everyone that Bruno takes it. But he may not, just because of Ronaldo´s status. And it sucks if it goes like that.

Alemar

Some Italian in Chelsea can dispute that
No. He is 29/33 in his career, a mere 88%.
Bruno is 41/44 (93%), including 21/22 for United (and the only missed one he scored from a rebound)

There is also Ivan Toney from Brentford who is 17/18, but his penalties were league one or championship, so lower level goalkeepers.

Raveneye

Hopefully if there was any question of whether Ronaldo would let his ego get in the way and take penalties at Manchester United over Bruno, today has provided the answer.

bakalhau

Ronaldo has scored more penalties. That settles it I guess.
Yep. Larger pool size.

I appreciate the comparison above anyway, to everyone else quoting me, in my previous reply I was more arguing about meritocracy in the quoted post, as if Ronaldo hasn't shown enough he is more than worthy of being a team's preferred penalty taker.

I'd keep Ronaldo as main penalty taker, as he won't play all games and Bruno will have quite a few opportunities at goal from the spot too.

I'd rotate free kicks between everyone. Ronaldo could have a go at a few, specially on more troublesome match conditions.

Edit: agree with Cal above

lsd

The Oracle
Let's face it if Ronaldo wants to take goal kicks he will do so if he wants to go in Goal for opponents penalties he will do so. So the question of him taking penalties and free kicks is a mute one. He will be taking them

Hanky panky

Yeah Ronny is different league on free kicks with that killer dip but Bruno better on pens in my opinion
No he is not. At least not anymore. He is actually been poor on free kicks for a few years already.