g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Will Bruno leave penalties and free kicks to Ronaldo now?

Idxomer

I don't even remember us scoring any free kick in the league last season, so who's taking them probably won't matter much.

Eddy_JukeZ

What do people think about Bruno taking shorter free kicks, and Ronaldo taking longer free kicks around the 30+ yard range?.
I mean Ronaldo has scored a lot of screamer free kicks over the years.

Anyway i'm sure they will work out between themselves. I dont really think any of this is going to be as big a problem as some think.
Ronaldo will take the penalties. Bruno can win the penalties.

Problem solved.

CM

Ronaldo will almost certainly take penalties so he can chase individual records. Free kicks might be a bit more evenly spread.

I don't really like this idea of Ronaldo just waltzing in and taking over though. There's even a thread about giving him the captaincy at the moment. If it was up to me I wouldn't give him anything by divine right, what we have works and Ronaldo isn't bigger than the club.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I find it frustrating Greenwood never gets a pop, especially when blinking Fred is standing over one (though admittedly that is all he usually does). Mason used to score quite a few for the youth teams.

MrEleson

Ronaldo walked in and took penalties (and free kicks) at every club he played at so I don’t see how it would be different this time. I’m sure Bruno will hand pens over to him no questions asked.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He will, and it will be annoying when he misses. His scoring rate is less than 80% I think.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I find it frustrating Greenwood never gets a pop, especially when blinking Fred is standing over one (though admittedly that is all he usually does). Mason used to score quite a few for the youth teams.
Best part about Ronaldo signing is that we won't have to see the bolded part anymore.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Ronaldo's penalty record is fine.

Letting him loose on free kicks would be mental though. He's actually terrible at them which is crazy, given he's so good at everything else.

RooneyLegend

Ronaldo walked in and took penalties (and free kicks) at every club he played at so I don’t see how it would be different this time. I’m sure Bruno will hand pens over to him no questions asked.
Exactly, Juve had all their set pieces sorted out before he got there and he took them all.

RooneyLegend

This I don't understand. He's got the best technique at the club yet we are happy to have close to zero production at free kicks.

MrEleson

Exactly, Juve had all their set pieces sorted out before he got there and he took them all.
Yeah and they had some great FK takers in Dybala & Pjanic (better than any we have now). He will take every set-piece here he deems within range to shoot, no doubt.

kps88

Ronaldo's penalty record is fine.

Letting him loose on free kicks would be mental though. He's actually terrible at them which is crazy, given he's so good at everything else.
We rarely score directly from free kicks these days anyway. Bruno scored one in preseason but I can't remember the last time we scored one in an official game.

But I suppose I'd rather Bruno hit the wall than Ronaldo hit the second tier.

Dr Foo

As mentioned, hope Ronaldo doesn't come in and automatically displace everything. Bruno should remain as our penalty taker unless he misses consecutively. Also hope Bruno continues in his current vein of responsibility and leadership, while Ronaldo just adds to it.

BarstoolProphet

Best part about Ronaldo signing is that we won't have to see the bolded part anymore.
Don't fool yourself. You could line up Messi, Juninho and Beckham for a freekick and still Fred would still stand there thinking he's in the mix to take it.

BarstoolProphet

We rarely score directly from free kicks these days anyway. Bruno scored one in preseason but I can't remember the last time we scored one in an official game.

But I suppose I'd rather Bruno hit the wall than Ronaldo hit the second tier.
Bruno scored against Liverpool in the cup this year and against Bournemouth in the PL last year.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I actually think Ronaldo won't come in and demand everything. We certainly have much better freekick takers (Bruno, Rashford, Sancho?) than him.

Wilt

Bruno can take the free kicks ….providing he aims for Ronaldo

SecondFig

He bloody shouldn't - the good of the team is more important than feeding Ronaldo's ego, and Fernandes is a much better penalty taker than Ronaldo

jem

Anyway i'm sure they will work out between themselves. I dont really think any of this is going to be as big a problem as some think.
I think you're right, but only because I expect Bruno will defer without question (I'm not convinced it's the right thing to switch penalty takers, but I don't think the people whose opinions really matter - Ole, Bruno, and Ronaldo - will feel the same way.)

MrEleson

He bloody shouldn't - the good of the team is more important than feeding Ronaldo's ego, and Fernandes is a much better penalty taker than Ronaldo
Why’s it a big deal? Ronaldo was first choice taker for Juve and Madrid for 12 years without it being a problem. He was even first choice when he was first here for half the time.

poleglass red

Take it of Bruno when he stops scoring from penalties, that's how it should work. I'd imagine Ronaldo has it in his contract talks that he takes them all, especially considering when he sees how many we got. Ronaldo is about his numbers, nothing wrong with that, but it has to be earned and right now Bruno has earned the right to hit penalties. Free kicks, not to fussed about them

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Bruno is one of the best penalty takers in the world plus he has nearly perfect score in United. He should not lose pk just because Ronny is Ronny.

Jacob

If freekicks and penalties are a concern, then we're in trouble. Let's focus on goals from open play instead.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I assumed this was purely due to him being left footed, and usually one of few left footers on the pitch, just to give the keeper the slightest bit of doubt that it could come over the wall from either side.

Maybe using Shaw would be more believable, since Shaw is not terrible at football.

dal

Bruno on penalties and free kicks.

Ronaldo from distance.

It’s literally that simple,

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think if Bruno cheats and gets a pen he should take it

If Ronaldo cheats then he should

Just as long as everyone is cheating.

I think Bruno 100% deserves to keep the penalties. He has a remarkable record.

Free kicks, I can't remember Bruno scoring many (sure there must be a few though?) Would be happy for Ronaldo to blast a few of these into row z if it keeps him happy and playing well.

BorisManUtd

He should continue as are penalty taker but I'm afraid he won't, which would be stupid.

Lentwood

Bruno should 100% stay on set-pieces but I somehow very much doubt that will happen.

We'll probably get 8-10 penalties, Ronaldo isn't going to pass up that opportunity to add those goals to his tally

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bruno on penalties and free kicks.

Ronaldo from distance.

It’s literally that simple,
For the fans to post on the forum? Without a doubt.

For manager? Not a chance it's a simple problem.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Also going by how things have changed this season, don't think there will be many penalties.

scottw

Supports
ManUtd and AtlantaUtd
Bruno has earned the rights to take the Pens, CR7 isn't going to come in and make him move. They are countrymen and get along fantastically well.

Free Kicks, I think they will both take them.

Remember this, Bruno plays about 100% of every single game since he joined, Ronnie won't be, so he isn't always going to be out on the pitch, something we all need to accept, Ronnie is 36, he will need time to rest this is the PL not that BS Italian garbage league.