Will Bruno leave penalties and free kicks to Ronaldo now?

Wilt

In case anyone is still wondering who’ll be taking the penalties….

After Bruno‘s hat-trick against Leeds, the bookies rated him 6/1 for the golden boot.

After Utd signed Ronaldo ….bookies now rate Bruno 25/1 :lol:

RuudTom83

Ronaldo is Ronaldo…it won’t even be a discussion.

Best Bruno can hope for is 30% of the free kicks.

pacifictheme

Ronaldo on freekicks would be a crime. He is abysmal at them these days, has been for a long time.

KD6-3.7

Ronaldo should be nowhere near our free kicks. At least with Bruno and Pogba you feel there's a good chance they will at least get it over the wall.

432JuanMata

Penalties I don’t care per se but free kicks Ronaldo should be nowhere near them. I seen a stat that he’s scored 3 in last 3 years

RetroStu

They are both great at penalities, with an odd miss evrery so often for both of them, so whoever takes pens it dosnt really matter for me.
Bruno should be on free kicks,but Ronaldo will def take some :lol: , no doubt about that. I dont think he will be totally premadonna over it though like some think. Bruno will still take his share, and i believe Bruno isnt afraid to tell Ronaldo he's taking this one.

caid

I hope Bruno sticks with both. I remember our free kicks before he joined and from the sounds of things Ronaldo wont be much better than Rashford was. For penalties i liked van gaals rule that you take them till you miss one. I'd fancy Bruno to not give Ronaldo a chance to take one under that rule but i guess i dont mind. Ronaldo is a pretty good penalty taker to be fair to him, even the ones he misses are usually a decent attempt.

RetroStu

How has Ronaldo only scored 1 freekick since 2017? He scored that one against Spain in 2018 WC, then scored at least 2 more for Portugal since then. And I'm pretty sure he scored one at Juve last season.
Its probably just club stats they are using. And he didnt actually score a free kick last season, for Juve.

Blood Mage

Don't care which one takes pens but Ronaldo should be kept away from free kicks.

KennyBurner

Im fine with penalties but Ronaldo should feck off freekicks. Ole needs to make sure the best freekick taker takes them and Im 100% sure Ronaldo isnt current top 3 at the club.

He'sRaldo

It's not like Bruno is stellar at freekicks either.

It should be Ronaldo on pens, while freekick takers alternate based on the circumstances.

mu4c_20le

As long as Ronaldo gets it on target, it's a threat. Bruno to take them when he can cross it to his head.

jem

It's not like Bruno is stellar at freekicks either.

It should be Ronaldo on pens, while freekick takers alternate based on the circumstances.
Why should it be Ronaldo on penalties? I mean I know it probably will be, but I hardly think it'll be based on merit. Frankly, I think it would be ridiculous taking Bruno off penalties.

He'sRaldo

Why should it be Ronaldo on penalties? I mean I know it probably will be, but I hardly think it'll be based on merit. Frankly, I think it would be ridiculous taking Bruno off penalties.
Because besides the fact that he's pretty decent at them, a lot of things will be resting on Ronaldo's ability to fill his boots and get good numbers. Much moreso than Bruno.

So while it may not be 100% merited, it would be the smart move.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Even if we had SAF as our manager, Pep as his assistant, Jose as Kit man, Klopp as cheer leader Ronaldo would still be our first choice penalty taker.

Yes Bruno's record is better and arguably he is best penalty taker in England but it always doesn't work like that.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
How has Ronaldo only scored 1 freekick since 2017? He scored that one against Spain in 2018 WC, then scored at least 2 more for Portugal since then. And I'm pretty sure he scored one at Juve last season.
Yeah he scored just one free kick for Juve, so they’re club stats.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think Ronaldo would come here unless he was taking penalties. Goals are his entire thing which is only going to benefit us so it makes sense for Bruno to step away from that for awhile. On merit, Ronaldo is pretty great at them as well. Plus it's important he is happy and motivated.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If Ronaldo wants to take them then there is no argument.

It's a myth Bruno is good at them as the stats clearly show.

Pogba is probably out best free kick taker after Mata who was you say will probably not be on the pitch.

As for penalties Ronaldo has taken penalties successfully in so many high pressure situations again why the debate if he wants them now
And yet the stats shows that Bruno has a higher conversion rate for free kicks than Ronaldo and Pogba.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Let's meet in the middle and have Bruno pinging freekicks at Ronaldo for him to head at goal.

Ronaldo gets his goals and we don't need to see Ronaldo slamming the ball out to the fans.

lsd

The Oracle
And yet the stats shows that Bruno has a higher conversion rate for free kicks than Ronaldo and Pogba.

He has scored two since he joined us he is not exactly unstoppable at them

Judas

Open to offers
I'd have Bruno on both. Rashford hits a better long distance free kick than Ronaldo these days.

That free kick record is appalling :lol: I knew it was bad but bloody hell.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I didn't realise Ronaldo had missed so many penalties in his entire career. 139 scored, 28 missed for club and country. 83% overall, which is consistent with his post 2017 record in the image above.

Wayne Rooney's career conversion rate was 80% and he wasn't considered a good penalty taker.

Those who are saying Ronaldo will take them are likely right, but it'd be daft to fix what isn't broken, particularly as it seems Bruno has the best record around at the moment. Having someone so reliable from the spot seems to be a rarity, and we certainly haven't had it since Cantona.

Highfather_24

It only takes one costly missed penalty in a big game from Ronaldo to make the change from Bruno a bad one.

MrEleson

I didn't realise Ronaldo had missed so many penalties in his entire career. 139 scored, 28 missed for club and country. 83% overall, which is consistent with his post 2017 record in the image above.

Wayne Rooney's career conversion rate was 80% and he wasn't considered a good penalty taker.

Those who are saying Ronaldo will take them are likely right, but it'd be daft to fix what isn't broken, particularly as it seems Bruno has the best record around at the moment. Having someone so reliable from the spot seems to be a rarity, and we certainly haven't had it since Cantona.
The more you take, the more you’re likely to have missed. Ronaldo has a decent ratio considering the sheer volume he’s taken which is more than any one else in modern history.

What was his record like when he had only taken 45 or so like Bruno?

RooneyLegend

Ronnie is taking the pens, you need your top scorer confident all the time. Pens are great at breaking droughts and the likes. Greenwood should be on free kicks, neither one of these dudes is an expert in that department.

Ixion

Taking Bruno off penalties with his record for Ronaldo's ego would be such terrible management.

Eddy_JukeZ

Taking Bruno off penalties with his record for Ronaldo's ego would be such terrible management.
Do you think any manager in history would put Bruno on pens over Ronaldo?

I'm not saying it'd be a bad move(can't argue against the numbers), but I doubt any manager would do that(maybe Jose would and the 2 would fall out like they did).

Eddy_JukeZ

Bruno's record from the spot is phenomenal. He's the best pen taker in the world isn't he?

Anyone else with comparable numbers the past 3-4 years with his volume of pens taken?

GBBQ

It should be Bruno on pens and it would be a bold move by Ole to assert his authority to do so, but as has been mentioned penalties are great for strikers struggling to score. Even if we got one against Newcastle you'd probably give it to Ronnie so he'd already be up and running.

I mean its not like Ronaldo's conversion rate is bad, wonder how many players have taken as many penalties as he has anyway?

RetroStu

What do people think about Bruno taking shorter free kicks, and Ronaldo taking longer free kicks around the 30+ yard range?.
I mean Ronaldo has scored a lot of screamer free kicks over the years.

Anyway i'm sure they will work out between themselves. I dont really think any of this is going to be as big a problem as some think.

Kag

Do you think any manager in history would put Bruno on pens over Ronaldo?

I'm not saying it'd be a bad move(can't argue against the numbers), but I doubt any manager would do that(maybe Jose would and the 2 would fall out like they did).
They should, which means Ole should. Ronaldo should accept it, too.