Will Bruno leave penalties and free kicks to Ronaldo now?

rpg

I would have thought Ronaldo taking it. This penalty is so different, at the end of 90 min with so much nerves. Scoreline and points at stake. GOAT would be better option in situation like this. Bruno can take other penalties.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Knew if he was still getting the nod on pens he’d miss his first one. Envisaged some worst case scenario where it’s a last minute one that has a bearing on the result. Obviously it happens. That’s supporting United these last few years :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Thing is, even if Bruno is better than Ronaldo at them (a very big if, considering that he has always taken low-pressure penalties), Ronaldo is the most eager player ever at scoring goals. He feeds on them, so any manager who knows anything would have put Ronaldo on them.

It does not matter if he misses one more pen than Bruno every two years, he feeds in goals and would score more.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Bruno can still take the freekick, but penalty should just let Ronaldo take it now.

Chief123

If Ronaldo takes that penalty and misses….

“Ole has no balls. Why is he letting Ronnie take it over Bruno who never misses. Poor management. Why did we take it off Bruno when he has a 93% conversion”. :lol:

Acole9

Outstanding
Have you actually seen how poor Ronaldo’s conversion is? Scores one every 3 years. Stop being knee jerk.
I'm not being knee jerk. That is just a lazy comment on your part really.

His conversion rate might not be as good as once was sure but Fernandes' free kicks are not that good I don't think.

Chief123

I'm not being knee jerk. That is just a lazy comment on your part really.

His conversion rate might not be as good as once was sure but Fernandes' free kicks are not that good I don't think.
It’s lazy on your part to suggest Ronaldo should take free kicks instead of Bruno. That’s just having a tantrum.

Ronaldo has scored 2 free kicks in his last 80 odd attempts. He’s got a conversion rate of about 6%. He is certainly not a free kick taker.

Dan_F

Someone cant let go of moscow
I wasn’t referring to that, or any penalty in particular. There is a massive difference in conversion rate between the two. Ronaldo misses and everyone blames Ole for taking Bruno off them.

Acole9

Outstanding
It’s lazy on your part to suggest Ronaldo should take free kicks instead of Bruno. That’s just having a tantrum.

Ronaldo has scored 2 free kicks in his last 80 odd attempts. He’s got a conversion rate of about 6%. He is certainly not a free kick taker.
I'm having a tantrum really? :lol: Jesus I have better things to do with my time than read bile from numpties like you who would pick a fight with anyone who disagrees with you. It's pathetic.

Chief123

I'm having a tantrum really? :lol: Jesus I have better things to do with my time than read bile from numpties like you who would pick a fight with anyone who disagrees with you. It's pathetic.
Then stop posting comments which are just plain dumb. You put zero thought into it. Be open to criticism when you just come out with stuff that makes zero sense.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was right to let a guy who has missed about 1 in 25 or so for us take the first one. And keep them while he scored them.

But I'd say change it now.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Thing is, even if Bruno is better than Ronaldo at them (a very big if, considering that he has always taken low-pressure penalties), Ronaldo is the most eager player ever at scoring goals. He feeds on them, so any manager who knows anything would have put Ronaldo on them.

It does not matter if he misses one more pen than Bruno every two years, he feeds in goals and would score more.
Actually, an upside from CR7 NOT taking them would be less dropping down like a fly. Of all the so-called penalties not given I only thought one was and can remember three I was actually annoyed he didn't just get on with it.

This one though... it wasn't a great idea to give it to Bruno.

Acole9

Outstanding
Then stop posting comments which are just plain dumb. You put zero thought into it. Be open to criticism when you just come out with stuff that makes zero sense.
Criticism from you? I couldn't care less what you think. You really are boring and should follow your own advice about putting thought into comments.

All you've come up with is just childish remarks on all your posts. I'm cool with people questioning what I post but all your replies have been petty "Oh you're knee jerk" "You're dumb" "You're having a tantrum". The ignore button is a very useful feature so I don't have to read anymore of your guff.

He'sRaldo

Ole unnecessarily creating yet another rod for his own back.

Just do the normal thing, you're not cleverer than other managers who have immediately given Ronaldo pen duties.

Jericho

Ole unnecessarily creating yet another rod for his own back.

Just do the normal thing, you're not cleverer than other managers who have immediately given Ronaldo pen duties.
How was Ole trying to be "cleverer than other managers" by leaving the penalty to the guy who has been taking all our penalties and only missed one. If Ronaldo took and missed I think you'd be saying "why did Ole try to fix something that wasn't broken".

Ronaldo missed his last penalty btw, he's not perfect either.

There's no "if" about it, Fernandes is a better penalty taker than Ronaldo. And he's taken plenty of high-pressure ones for us.

Yeah, he missed today and it was a crap penalty. It was the right call at the time to let him have it.

And the fact that it was Fernandes who took both the first free kick and the penalty today just shows up the masses of pundits who were confidently predicting how Ronaldo's massive ego would lead to the manager bending over for him and letting him take all the set pieces. Almost like ... Cristiano Ronaldo is a model professional!

Chief123

Criticism from you? I couldn't care less what you think. You really are boring and should follow your own advice about putting thought into comments.

All you've come up with is just childish remarks on all your posts. I'm cool with people questioning what I post but all your replies have been petty "Oh you're knee jerk" "You're dumb" "You're having a tantrum". The ignore button is a very useful feature so I don't have to read anymore of your guff.
Back to your original poor point. Ronaldo is not a good alternative to free kicks. 1 in 69 attempts for Juve. Needs a little more thought next time.

lsd

The Oracle

There is no excuse for Bruno taking the worst penalty I have seen in a long time.

All the crying we did about not getting penalties and people begging for Bruno to take them and we delivered an absolute howler of a penalty kick.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

This is such revisionist bollocks. Apparently Ole wouldn’t be strong enough to dictate to Ronaldo - he’s just a yes man. He tells Ronaldo rightly he isn’t on pens because Bruno has been immense at them and now we get bollocks like this being posted.

This explains a lot, I can't remember seeing Fernandes trying to brutishly smash a pen in so he was probably trying to make it extra emphatic.

No excuses of course, just the downside of Bruno letting his emotions get the better of him. Plenty of upsides to that as well mind.

This is such revisionist bollocks. Apparently Ole wouldn’t be strong enough to dictate to Ronaldo - he’s just a yes man. He tells Ronaldo rightly he isn’t on pens because Bruno has been immense at them and now we get bollocks like this being posted.
Needs to be said more.

The beauty of the hindsight police is that they win every single time.

The manager tells the better penalty taker (and I meant to quote this same post with that baffling "if" qualifier - where's the if, he's categorically better at them) to take it, and he misses: "any manager with a clue would have let Ronaldo take it".

If Ronaldo takes it and misses (I'm pretty sure he missed his last penalty): "any manager with a backbone would have kept Fernandes on instead of bending over for Ronaldo's ego"

If Ronaldo takes it and scores: "there's proof already that Ole can't stand up to Ronaldo's ego - no reason take that off Fernandes, imagine what it'll do for his confidence!"

If Fernandes takes it and scores: "Ronaldo will go into a sulk and refuse to pass to him now, the manager needs to deal with him better"

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Seriously?
What? Clearly struck a chord with that bit of mental warfare. I enjoy it when players challenge each other psychologically in high-pressure moments. I enjoy it whether they succeed or fail to affect the player. It makes the game more interesting to me.

I think Bruno’s had some added pressure with CR7’s arrival when it comes to set pieces or penalties, if the GK indeed said what he said to CR7 and the ever-reliable Bruno winds up shooting like that afterwards, I can only be impressed with the mind game that just went on.

lsd

The Oracle
What? Clearly struck a chord with that bit of mental warfare. I enjoy it when players challenge each other psychologically in high-pressure moments. I enjoy it whether they succeed or fail to affect the player. It makes the game more interesting to me.

I think Bruno’s had some added pressure with CR7’s arrival when it comes to set pieces or penalties, if the GK indeed said what he said to CR7 and the ever-reliable Bruno winds up shooting like that afterwards, I can only be impressed with the mind game that just went on.

It was a terrible penalty and even trying to use that as an excuse is laughable.

If that put him off then he should never be allowed to leave the house let alone be a professional footballer

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It was a terrible penalty and even trying to use that as an excuse is laughable.

If that put him off then he should never be allowed to leave the house let alone be a professional footballer
I don't think anyone was using it as an excuse, maybe Ole when he was complaining about the players surrounding him, which is fair but still shouldn't affect a player like that but it did. It's what makes those mind games interesting to me, a professional should be able to deal with it, but if you find the right thing to say at the right time, maybe sometimes it actually works. For him to blast it over like that was pretty uncharacteristic so it's a fair assumption that the mind game had something to do with it.

CloneMC16

If Ronaldo takes that penalty and misses….

“Ole has no balls. Why is he letting Ronnie take it over Bruno who never misses. Poor management. Why did we take it off Bruno when he has a 93% conversion”. :lol:
Yep. Such obvious hindsight is ridiculous to read. I give Ole full credit for keeping Bruno on pens. His record is elite for us and he deserved to continue taking them. Maybe Ronaldo takes the next one now, but I give full credit for having the balls to make this decision.

lsd

The Oracle
Yep. Such obvious hindsight is ridiculous to read. I give Ole full credit for keeping Bruno on pens. His record is elite for us and he deserved to continue taking them. Maybe Ronaldo takes the next one now, but I give full credit for having the balls to make this decision.

It cost us a point so perhaps not full credit

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
It happens, even the very best miss a penalty occasionally.
I wonder what Bruno 's routine is?
Heard Johnny Giles describe his routine on penalties once and he was excellent from the spot.He would practice with the Leeds keeper the day before and sometimes morning of a game.He would decide which side he was going to go, tell the keeper which side and hit maybe 20 or so . He would score almost all (in practice)
Then he he got to take one in the game he had decided already which side he was going.He didn’t even look at the opposition keeper.
Makes sense to me.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I agree. Everyone misses one eventually. Look at Noble.
Bruno still should be No.1
Agreed, would be really unfair to take it away from him based on this one miss, not to mention the effects it might have on his confidence and overall contribution. CR7's missed as well, no guarantees anything would have been different. If he misses a couple more, then it's a discussion.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Was a costly miss today but our best penalty taker should be taking our penalties and it's very likely Bruno is still our best penalty taker. However I'd rather have Bruno on free kicks and Ronaldo on penalties till Ronaldo misses one then switch back. That seems like a fair way to do it.