Will De Gea reach all time clean sheet record?

ManUnitedCanuck

Looking a lot more likely now.

Will be happy for him to get the club record as he’s stuck around during a difficult phase.

joso157

Will never understand the negativity around De Gea, he’s played behind vastly inferior defences and a non existent holding midfielder compared to Schmichael and Van Der Sar. His ability is there for everyone to see, the fact is he’s won us countless games and been one of the very few positives of recent years.

Schmichael and Van Der Sar both dropped some clangers in their time, difference was the team were good enough to turn the games around or were already out of sight so it’s all forgotten. De Gea would’ve comfortably beaten this record ages ago with the 08 or 99 defence in front of him.

He’s had the same amount of clean sheets in the league this season as he had in the whole of last season and we’re not even half way. Doesn’t take a genius to work out a rock solid defensive pairing and a world class holding midfielder are a massive helping hand for a goalkeeper!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Will never understand the negativity around De Gea, he’s played behind vastly inferior defences and a non existent holding midfielder compared to Schmichael and Van Der Sar. His ability is there for everyone to see, the fact is he’s won us countless games and been one of the very few positives of recent years.

Schmichael and Van Der Sar both dropped some clangers in their time, difference was the team were good enough to turn the games around or were already out of sight so it’s all forgotten. De Gea would’ve comfortably beaten this record ages ago with the 08 or 99 defence in front of him.

He’s had the same amount of clean sheets in the league this season as he had in the whole of last season and we’re not even half way. Doesn’t take a genius to work out a rock solid defensive pairing and a world class holding midfielder are a massive helping hand for a goalkeeper!
some of this might be true but as an all-round keeper (which includes giving confidence to his defence - that works both ways, you know - ) he isn't close to Peter S or VdS. Possibly not even the third-best United keeper in my life time. Doesn't marshal the defence well enough and doesn't command his six-yard box, let alone the penalty area. That said, a very good shot stopper. but never has been and never will be close to the best in the world which Peter Schmeichel was

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
some of this might be true but as an all-round keeper (which includes giving confidence to his defence - that works both ways, you know - ) he isn't close to Peter S or VdS. Possibly not even the third-best United keeper in my life time. Doesn't marshal the defence well enough and doesn't command his six-yard box, let alone the penalty area. That said, a very good shot stopper. but never has been and never will be close to the best in the world which Peter Schmeichel was
A line like this seems to be absolute revisionism.

JB7

De Gea would’ve comfortably beaten this record ages ago with the 08 or 99 defence in front of him.
The question that directly counters this is would the 99 or 08 defences have been anywhere near as good as they were with De Gea behind them as opposed to Schmeichel or VDS?

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Yeah, but then there was the Man City switch.

Thepinhead

The question that directly counters this is would the 99 or 08 defences have been anywhere near as good as they were with De Gea behind them as opposed to Schmeichel or VDS?
Good question, and the answer is probably no. At least in the 90's you saw a lot more crosses and more teams playing 4-4-2 with a traditional number 9 instead of the inverted wingers you see today. So I believe back then you needed keepers who were good at handling crosses which de Gea isn't.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Looking a lot more likely now.

Will be happy for him to get the club record as he’s stuck around during a difficult phase.
He's only 4 or 5 away isn't he? He probably do it in the next month

BorisManUtd

He's only 4 or 5 away isn't he? He probably do it in the next month
Schmeichel got 180, De Gea 177. If he can keep clean sheet against Everton, Chalton, City and Arsenal (provided he plays all 4 games), then he'll break it at Emirates. Highly unlikely we won't conceded against City and Arsenal so should break it next month as you said.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
When he was class, he was world class and arguably the best shot stopper in the world. When he was dog, he was fecking dog and stunk the place up. The Spanish Rooney.

Also gotta consider the defences he had in front of him. The likes of Rojo and Baily at times. And have to consider football has changed and modernised since he's been at United, specifically the role of a keeper and what's expected. I think had we not been so shit for so many years he'd have been in the discussion for our best ever keeper, but he that's not the case and as I said earlier, hes been absolutely dog at times.

Still a great signing and when it's all said and done will be considered a united legend. Especially if he's still here when Ten Hag wins us the league :devil:

We need an rvn

DDG's weaknesses put him below Schmeichel and VDS for me.
I rate vds over Schmeichel, and completely agree ddg is below both.

If he wasn’t on these ridiculous wages(not his fault) I might have more sympathy for him but just can’t justify how much he’s earned, not improved over time to play modern keeper style etc.

but whatever accolades he gets he has earned and will applaud his service to the club

FrantikChicken

I consider David a United legend and I’m happy for him that he’s going to break the record.

At his best, he has been more than good enough to start in a title winning squad, but unfortunately during those seasons the rest of the team fell well short. No keeper, no matter how good, should be winning player of the year in a top team. Him winning it multiple times shows not only that he had great seasons, but that those around him were unfortunately rather poor.

I hope he can achieve some more honours before he leaves the club

Gazza

Defense wasn't our strong point in 1999. While Pete had the kind of swan song any player would envy, it wasn't his finest season. I reckon DDG could have fit in fine.

In Europe, we conceded 17 goals in 11 games! Schmeichel, as I recall, was directly at fault for goals against Brondby and Bayern (both the last minute equalizer in Munich and arguably Basler's free kick in the final). I remember him being at fault when we lost to Sheffield Wednesday, one of our three defeats in the league that season.

BUT... would David have kept out Bergkamp's penalty?

Sushi Kagawa

Big Pete is the best keeper the PL has ever seen.

De Gea whilst not as good has been great for us and hope he'd around for the next couple years

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

I think the negativity was from a general malaise within the club. I feel that De Gea had lost quite a bit of confidence from having to see the team slowly disintegrate in front of him, I also believe there were factions within the squad, which doesn't make for a good team ethic.
De Gea did make mistakes, as did every player, but I think fans started to think that he was on the slippery slope downwards, which didn't help when he let in that sloppy goal against Brentford at the start of this season, but it's amazing what having a good manager, proper coaching, better players in front of you, and, it appears, a plan going forward, does for a player.
De Gea has certainly improved in certain aspects, and is still a great shot stopper, I was one who thought two seasons ago that he should go, but I'm quite happy to see him here for another season or two.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Good question, and the answer is probably no. At least in the 90's you saw a lot more crosses and more teams playing 4-4-2 with a traditional number 9 instead of the inverted wingers you see today. So I believe back then you needed keepers who were good at handling crosses which de Gea isn't.
Law went both ways? Leaving his sex life out of it, he is still a legend.
He got 6 once and didn't score :eek:

JB7

Defense wasn't our strong point in 1999. While Pete had the kind of swan song any player would envy, it wasn't his finest season. I reckon DDG could have fit in fine.

In Europe, we conceded 17 goals in 11 games! Schmeichel, as I recall, was directly at fault for goals against Brondby and Bayern (both the last minute equalizer in Munich and arguably Basler's free kick in the final). I remember him being at fault when we lost to Sheffield Wednesday, one of our three defeats in the league that season.

BUT... would David have kept out Bergkamp's penalty?
I'm not saying it was our strong point by any means but I'd argue if you're a defence used to a vocal presence who tends to be dominant with balls into the box, particularly with the game as it was in the late 90s with so many aerial physical strikers, then going from someone like Schmeichel to a goalkeeper much closer in style to Shay Given in terms of being generally very quiet and very rarely leaving his line, certainly for crosses into the box, is going to affect the dynamic considerably.

In addition three of those errors mentioned were within a few weeks of one another IIRC, not long before Sir Alex sent him on holiday to have a rest - after which his form considerably improved to be fair.

Shai-Hulud

If he wasn’t on these ridiculous wages(not his fault) I might have more sympathy for him but just can’t justify how much he’s earned, not improved over time to play modern keeper style etc.

but whatever accolades he gets he has earned and will applaud his service to the club
Yeah... I hope that if DDG does end up staying it's at -50% of his current wages. Replacing him wouldn't be very easy or cheap, so there's an argument to be made for keeping him for a while longer. But if we do, our team will keep being held back somewhat by a GK who's a good shot stopper and little else.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
We, or rather you, wasn't talking about Law, or Kidd. Seems you have an axe to grind.
"Yeah, but then there was the Man City switch." - so switching to City is an issue for you? Both Law and Kidd did so do you have an issue with them joining City?

Loony BoB

VDS I rate as our best keeper because he made it look effortless, and was always calm and in control. He didn't have to make as many miracle saves because he managed the defence, and he didn't appear to make as many miracle saves because he made situations other keepers would do dramatic TV moments much more subdued by simply doing them with no fuss or eccentricity.

Having said all that: DDG absolutely warrants the discussion as to where he lies vs VDS and Schmeichel and that is a credit to his name in itself. There is nothing bad about being second or third to them, there is no shame in it. People have rightly pointed out that in the past crosses were more normal and this meant different keeping styles were more in demand back then than they are now. DDG does what he does well, fantastically well, and I'm glad he's been with us all this time, because finding keepers as good as he is... it's not easy. Just look at the time spent between Schmeichel and VDS. We had so many problems with so many highly rated keepers back then, and it shows that finding that gem - a gem like DDG - is not something you can do easily. Is he the absolute best in the world? Not at the moment, no. But is there someone else who I am 100% confident would be an upgrade on him? No, I think our odds are better keeping him.

Crashoutcassius

has won us a few points this season. i think people think that is normal but it isn't. for many of these clean sheets he made a save no other keeper in the world would routinely make. i think we take it for granted.

people say he doesn't command his box or something. if we are winning 1-0 and he pulls off an amazing stop & we hang on then he won us 3 points, it is that simple. over a season that is worth any money.

his legacy was hurt over an 18 month period where he stopped being the best shot stopper in the world, but for me that is back now. an easy united legend.

Grande

Definitely deserves his spot in our record books
I think the only way to deserve a record is to take it. That is what a record is. Right now he deserves to be close to the record. If he takes it, he’ll deserve it then.

We shouldn't be even considering him close to the top two given his mistakes over the last 3 seasons.

Its a top 2 and the rest in my opinion, he's basically lost us double figure matches with the most insane mistakes I've ever seen off a keeper. I'd actually go as far as saying I've never known a top level keeper make as many huge mistakes ever, he's let the ball spill under him nearly 10 times at least.
Either you watch too much United and too little of other teams, or your memory is clouded by some very antipathetic feelings. Allkeepers at 30 have a big collection of errors, and even huge errors, maybe except Buffon (except he has quite a few as well). Big Pete could fill a hard drive with them. What we have seen for a couple of seasons with Dave, is bad form, nothing more and nothing less. He’d have started for any Championship side on merit based on those performances.

De Gea’s best five years is to me well above Van der Sar’s five best years. It was a discussion between him, Buffon and Neuer for a few years there. Taste and speculation is included there, but I know I’ve seen De Gea make at least 50 saves that VDS wouldn’t have. VdS’s weaker years saw him earn a transfer to Fulham at the same point of his carreer that De Gea had his dip.

Those three keepers had different strengths and different weaknesses. Schmaichel had a big presence in the box, yet made a lot of wild chases. Van der Sar wasn’t very vocal or good from short range, but was brilliant collecting crosses and at long range shots. De Gea at his best is the best shot stopper I’ve ever seen, short medium or long range, but he is a goal line keeper. Though heis decent enough with his feet, when he is coached the right way, which showed at Atletico and in his early years, and now, but was lacking in the period after he fell out with Van Gaal, played under Mourinho and Solskjær, and lost the Spain berth he’d taken over from Casillas.

alexthelion

In total agreement.

Whilst being a great shot stopper, he just has too many weaknesses to be the best United keeper.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Had I been alive, probably.
Probably a good job you weren't then because I doubt you'd be very popular, even more so
I think the only way to deserve a record is to take it. That is what a record is. Right now he deserves to be close to the record. If he takes it, he’ll deserve it then.

Either you watch too much United and too little of other teams, or your memory is clouded by some very antipathetic feelings. Allkeepers at 30 have a big collection of errors, and even huge errors, maybe except Buffon (except he has quite a few as well). Big Pete could fill a hard drive with them. What we have seen for a couple of seasons with Dave, is bad form, nothing more and nothing less. He’d have started for any Championship side on merit based on those performances.

De Gea’s best five years is to me well above Van der Sar’s five best years. It was a discussion between him, Buffon and Neuer for a few years there. Taste and speculation is included there, but I know I’ve seen De Gea make at least 50 saves that VDS wouldn’t have. VdS’s weaker years saw him earn a transfer to Fulham at the same point of his carreer that De Gea had his dip.

Those three keepers had different strengths and different weaknesses. Schmaichel had a big presence in the box, yet made a lot of wild chases. Van der Sar wasn’t very vocal or good from short range, but was brilliant collecting crosses and at long range shots. De Gea at his best is the best shot stopper I’ve ever seen, short medium or long range, but he is a goal line keeper. Though heis decent enough with his feet, when he is coached the right way, which showed at Atletico and in his early years, and now, but was lacking in the period after he fell out with Van Gaal, played under Mourinho and Solskjær, and lost the Spain berth he’d taken over from Casillas.
That's a pretty fair and accurate assessment, personally I'd choose Schmikes as number 1 because he scared the bejesus out of everyone including his own defenders

VDS or DDG is a tough call, I think in today's game probably DDG but 15 years ago it would have been VDS because of the way the game is/was played

Herman Toothrot

The way people are using 'shot stopper' like a dirty word is bananas. He's been a brilliant player and if he had played behind the teams VDS and Schmeichel had, there would be no need for a debate and these records would have gone long ago.

A brilliant player for United and one I'll be happiest for when we pick up those trophies in the coming seasons.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Unlucky to arrive at the time he did. Imagine if he was primarily protected by the likes of Pallister, Stam, Rio, Vidic, Irwin, Neville, Evra, Keane, Scholes and peak Carrick instead.

Definitely a club legend for me. Delighted that he arrived in time to experience SAF and win a title. I hope he can get another under Ten Hag before retiring. No one deserves it more than him.

Oranges038

Schmeichel wasn't just a big presence in the box that went on wild chases, he organised, claimed high balls, swept up and he was also excellent at 1v1s. His agility and ability to get up and down even at close to 40 was insane. Schmeichel was also much better shot stopper than DDG.

VDS was a brilliant organiser, would claim high balls and his anticipation and positioning was excellent, it's why he never made so many mad reflex saves, he was just there and made it look easy a lot of the time. He never relied purely on his reflexes and that's part of the reason he got better as he got older.

Both had so much more to their game than DDG, he's not that close to either in terms of overall ability. He'll claim the clean sheet record, due to longevity more than anything else.

alexthelion

The way people are using 'shot stopper' like a dirty word is bananas. He's been a brilliant player and if he had played behind the teams VDS and Schmeichel had, there would be no need for a debate and these records would have gone long ago.
DDG wouldn't have survived those games, lots of crosses and big Cfs would have had a field day.

The reason we were so good with those two is because both controlled their box and marshalled the defence, two things DDG is very poor at.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
He's at 177 right now, Schmeichel on 180, Cech the only one to reach 200. Can de Gea get to 200 as well?
Is that just Premier League or all competitions? Either way he has a good chance if he stays our first choice next season.

Red Star One

Is that just Premier League or all competitions? Either way he has a good chance if he stays our first choice next season.
Ah well sorry, De Gea and Schmeichel are all comps. Cech has a whopping 202 Premier League clean sheets in 443 apps (unreal) compared to DDG's 138 in 394.